Cover Image: Buried Bones

Buried Bones

I really enjoy the characters in this book, it is the relationships and growth of the characters throughout the novellas that really makes this series of books. You quickly become attached to them and want to see how all their lives and connection progress. In this book Sheriff Tessa Black and Park Ranger Lincoln Wilde are trying to get the details of their wedding finalized but they once again become embroiled in a grizzly murder investigation.
A dead college student, a mother with dementia, and a sister who's keeping secrets are all the premise behind Melina Leigh's newest Widow's Island book.
When a body of a young girl is found, Deputy Tessa Black begins an investigation that leads her down the path of  migrant summer workers on the tiny island. What she finds is a hidden past of rape and murder no one expected to find on the peaceful little island.
As usual, the characters are the mainstay in a Melinda Leigh book and all of them- even the secondary and walk-ons are perfect for the setting and plot. Leigh seamlessly weaves the everyday life of Tesas- she's getting married, and caring for her ailing mother and teenaged sister -with murder most foul.
Excellent addition to the series.
4 stars
While it had all the makings of a meaty murder mystery, it was only a nouvella which meant the ending felt rushed.  Otherwise, it was well written and fast paced with interesting characters. I think it could have been more developed since some bread crumbs were not followed up on.
I love Melinda Leigh's writing and this book was no exception. Even though it’s only a short story I was hooked from beginning to end. There are so many lovable characters and I just loved the small Island life.

I was a bit sceptical about how you could have an interesting murder plot and mix in some romance in only 100 pages but it really does work. It was a great pace and I had no idea who it was. This is the first book I’ve read in the series but I will definitely be going back for the rest

I received a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot are writing a series of novella called Widows Island .  Melinda Leigh characters are Tessa Black deputy of Widow island.  The characters comes to life in each story of murder and mystery.

The author is able to pack a punch in so few pages.  Each story builds on each other the characters grow and the community the author's create become real and walk right off the pages.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of Buried Bones.
The Pacific Northwest’s scenic, isolated, and atmospheric Widow’s Island is disturbed once again when an unearthed body turns up during the height of the tourist season.  This tandem-written series between Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott remains rock-steady with the clever, quick novellas that are engaging installment after installment.

Buried Bones is the seventh novella in the Widow’s Island series.  The books work best in order as there is a character and relationship arc spread throughout the series though, each does contain a standalone mystery.

Tessa and Patience are hiking to the top of Crone Mountain for some sister time when they come across a decomposed body just off the trail.  With the help of her fiancé, forest ranger, Logan Wilde, Tessa tracks the evidence to a killer.

Tessa’s life has definitely taken a strong turn for the better lately as Logan has helped her with her mom suffering from Alzheimer’s and her teen sister.  She is learning to balance work and a private life which includes wedding preparations.  Logan is doing better with his PTSD, too.  But, something is up with Patience- she’s too quiet.  Unfortunately, this new homicide has to be dealt with first.

I’ve likely said this before, but this series is addicting and is a wonderful blend of island- small town setting, engaging characters, and strong plotting.  There is a good blend of romantic suspense, but in this one, they focused on the mystery more.  The mystery wasn’t twisting, but it was satisfying and especially after that breath-stealing climax.  I’m glad that the next release comes shortly and I can dive right back into the Widow’s Island world.

In summary, I devoured it swiftly and want more.  Those who enjoy well-thought mystery and character development with a keen attention to setting should give these quick-read romantic suspenses a go.
Tessa is out on a hike when she comes across a dead body. After identifying the body as a college student on the island for a summer job, Tessa follows the meandering clues to find out who killed her.

I love this series so much! I love the characters and Widow's Island. I'm loving the development in the relationships between all of the characters. I loved following Tessa as she was investigating the death. I was so sure that everyone she talked to was guilty! I love Melinda Leigh so much and cannot wait to read what's next!
I love this series.  These novellas are so good.  You are sucked in from the beginning and cannot turn the pages fast enough.  I thought the plot was amazing and so believable.  Tessa Black is an interesting character and I cannot get enough of her books.  I look forward to the next.
It’s just another day of Widow’s Island for Deputy Tessa Black when she stubbles across the body of a young woman in the woods and with her a mystery. It’s another day and another murder on Widow’s Island for Tessa and her sidekick/fiancé/park ranger Logan Wild to solve.  Though I’m starting to wonder how so many murders occur on such a small island? Another short a story to add to the series though the resolution was kind of anticlimactic.
Book #7 in the Widow's Island series.  The series is alternately written by Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot.  Each is novella length and all of them are great reads.  Buried Bones begins when Deputy Tessa Black finds a partially buried body while on a walk.  Not a good way to start the day.  The "body" is Aurora Franklin, a newcomer to Widows Island looking to work the summer before starting college.  No one has seen her for weeks, yet no one reported her missing.  Even with a cold trail, Deputy Black will dig until she finds the killer.
A quick read that contains all of the hallmarks we've come to expect from Melinda Leigh books.
I love this series and especially the co-writing of Melinda Leigh. This group of professionals/friends on the island had different careers that brought them to the island and now each stay pretty busy with family she the crime scene lol.

When a young girl is found dead in a hiking trail, Tessa kicks in to high gear to solve her murder. Logan is the trusty side kick/fiance and of course they are great together. Logan has added much needed balance to Tessa's home life that was desperately needed.

Very exciting read, highly recommend.
Buried bones is a short story, easy to read, and entertaining with a good plot. The characters are relatable, and the crimes mentioned in the story, I'm quite sure, have happened many times in many communities and countries. It's also true that are committed members of Law Enforcement in many places as well, doing their jobs to put those who go against the law behind bars.
I downloaded a free copy of this book through NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
I was provided a copy of this novella from NetGalley.  I had previously read other series by Melinda Leigh, but the Widow's Island novella series was new to me.  I was able to read the seventh installment without reading the previous ones, but I plan on going back and reading the others (especially since they are on Kindle Unlimited).  In Buried Bones, Deputy Sheriff Tessa Black and her fiance Logan Wilde must solve the murder of a young woman, and the story is fast-paced.  I really liked both of the main characters and how their home life was woven into the story, as well as being an action-packed mystery.  I definitely recommend this novella!
This review was originally posted on <a href="https://booksofmyheart.net/2021/10/24/%f0%9f%8e%a7-buried-bones-by-melinda-leigh/" target="_blank"> Books of My Heart</a>
&nbsp;

<i>Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.</i>

3.5 hearts

I read the first 4 books in this <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/238242-widow-s-island" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"><em><strong>Widow's Island</strong></em></a> series through Kindle Unlimited.  They are written alternately by Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh. I enjoy both these authors in their mystery genre work.  This series is all short novellas so I have to be more careful not to spoil too much.  I really enjoy these for quick and easy reading.

Tessa is the main character but most of our known people make at least a brief appearance.  The island is small so they all know each other.   Tessa and Logan have furthered their relationship.  He is living with Tessa and helping out with her sister and her mother.  Logan is all in to make her life easier.

The couple is out together and find a mostly decomposed body.  Tessa sets all the processing in motion.  She is a well trained and experienced detective.  She and Logan investigate to find who murdered this woman.  They do a good job of running down all the leads and information.

I enjoyed this very short novella for both the case and the progression of their personal relationships.
I have really enjoyed this series of books by Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott, they are a perfect short read when you just need a little relaxing read.  The characters are so nice and it is great to just keep on reading about the same people and the same place, but a new story.
Short, but intense, this new novella in the Widow's Island series packs a punch. Characters that we have grown to know face new challenges.

While on a hike with her fiance, Deputy Tessa Black finds a partially buried body. Identified as a collage student here for a summer internship, she remains a mystery, because no one has reported her missing. Diving in to the case, Tessa and Logan search diligently for the killer while waiting for another body to appear.

Perfect short read by the fire! Love this series and these characters.
Buried Bones by Melinda Leigh, the seventh book in the Widow's Island series is a super read. The storyline was well-developed and kept my attention throughout the book. I really enjoyed reading about how Deputy Tessa Black and her finance Park Ranger Logan Wilde work so well together. The way they have each other's back is wonderful. I also enjoyed the fun scene where the Black's "killer hen" who doesn't like Tessa dive-bombed her. Made me laugh. This novella is a great addition to the series. I am looking forward to the next book in the series, The Lost Bones by Kendra Elliott.
Tessa should think about her wedding and go buy her wedding dress. Everything seems to be fine in her life or as fine as it ever will be. Logan gets along well with her mother and has taken over a lot of the day to day work around and in the house. Patience is doing better, but she seems a little out of balance. Her mother is better with new medication and help from friends and family. But when Tessa is out on a hike with her sister, they stumble upon a decaying body. The wedding plans are not longer important. Now there is a killer to be caught.
I love the Widow’s Island novellas. There is so much going on and the suspense always gets my heart pounding. Highly recommended series.
While on a nature walk, Deputy Tessa Black and her sister discover the remains, mostly skeletal, of what turns out to be a young woman.

Tessa, along with her fiance, Park Ranger Logan Wilde, start their investigation by trying to identify her. Plenty of people have gone missing over the years, but none seem to match this victim.

Identified as a college student who had been hired to work on Widow's island for the summer, the more they delve into her background, the more questions they have. Why has this woman never been reported as missing? Why did she choose Widow's Island to spend her summer?

The investigation reveals a dangerous predator hiding in the Widow’s Island community.

This novella is a short, fast read filled with suspense. Suspects are many, but who would have wanted this young woman dead? Characters are deftly drawn, intriguing to watch.

Many thanks to the author / Montlake / Amazon Publishing / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction novella. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
It was my first meeting with this author, and.... I'm. really happy that I decided to read Mrs. Leigh's book.

It's not long story but it left me very satisfied. From the begging, I could feel like I live inside this book. Story line, plot twist ups amd downs were everything I want to. recieve in the books like that.

Buried Bones are a perfect short read for readers od all kinds. I  can assure, that once You'll start to read, You won't put this novella down.