Cover Image: Buried Bones

Buried Bones

Omgosh so good from beginning to end. I was hooked from 1st chapter. Very good plot and lots of suspense.
I am so glad that I had the opportunity to receive this from NetGalley. Because this book is number 7 in the series, I went back and started at the beginning. Novellas tend to sometimes seem rushed. However, this series packs a lot of action and intrigue into each and every story of the series. For Widow’s Island to be such a small community, there seems to be a lot going on there. Who would expect to run across a dead body in the woods while enjoying a peaceful morning hike? This discovery leads to the discovery of a dangerous predator who is hiding in plain sight in the community. What a great read and a wonderful series! I am looking forward to the next series, and honestly will hate to see it end. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to review this book.
Buried Bones, by Melinda Leigh, is the 7th novella in the Widow's Island Novella series. It's one of those romantic suspense serials that keeps you coming back for more.
Deputy Tessa Black is back and this time she has stumblesd upon the almost buried body, of a young woman, in the forest,  The quiet morning hike, that she was taking with her sister, has become a race to find a killer. The remains turn out to belong to Aurora Franklin, a young college student who’d come to Widow’s Island to work for the summer. Though she's been dead for several weeks, no one from the island has reported her missing.
There's a dangerous killer somewhere on the Island. Tessa and her fiancé, park ranger Logan Wilde, work to find the murderer before they can kill again.
Another great addition to the Widow’s Island series from my favorite duo. This is a fast paced novella and briefly glances some of the previous characters- so read the others first! I enjoyed the quick crime procession of a Murder and who killed Aurora. Excited to start Kendra’s! Thank you Melinda and NetGalley for the ARC
Melinda Leigh continues the storyline with the characters of Widows Island. You do not have to read the previous Novellas before this as it can be read stand-alone. However, I recommend you get them after, they are good reads and give you the history of the character.s
The story 'has it all, love, mystery, murder and lifetime friendships that we all wish we had. Deputy Tessa and Ranger Logan work together to solve the mystery of who killed a young girl on the island. They more than work together, they plan to marry soon, Tessa’s mother is suffering from advancing Dementia and only has moments of clarity. So the wedding must take place soon. If only she had time from crime solving. The cast of characters, living on the island contribute to the Interesting plot twists and connections to each other. It's a balance of love, friendships and solving crimes, while supporting each other. Thank you Melinda Leigh, NetGalley, and Montlake for allowing me to read this ARC. This is my honest opinion. I read all of Melinda's books.I like how she gives the reader mystery and great relationships. You can't go wrong reading her books they are also a great short beach read!
I received a complimentary copy of The Buried Bones from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

Good, short novel.  An interesting mystery and a quick read.
Love this series. Widow's Island seems like a beautiful place to live, except it seems to have more murders than large cities for such a small island. Tessa definitely has job security, but they may need more officers. Cate was pretty much absent from this book and only made a very small appearance. Killer Hen was back with a vengeance and took out some revenge on Tessa for daring to enter the chicken coop. Love Logan and Tessa. He's always there for her and is great to have near you when bullets are flying. Can't wait for the wedding. Tessa and Patience discover a dead body while hiking and soon there are two likely suspects. I wasn't sure which one it was going to be since both men both had issues and neither would win any award for being a great person.

Definitely recommend the book, but you should to read the previous books in the series. It was a great mystery/thriller with a bit of romance. Can't wait to read the next books in the series. I'm sure there will be more murders to investigate. Look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Montlake through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Thank you Montlake and Netgalley. I love this  series. Its such a great short read. I love the story lines and how the authors write each story.  Melinda Leigh has a special place in my heart because of these short books.
Widows Island where you can find family, love and murder! Thoroughly enjoy this novella series.  I will read anything Melinda Leigh writes. Okay, not anything, if she writes a math book, sorry, not reading, not buying. These Novellas (this is book 7) can be read as a stand a lone, but you lose out on the depths we came to know the other characters in this series, they all are intertwined in some shape or form.  You actually feel like you know them.  This was pure entertainment, with suspense.  Deputy Tessa is intelligent with strength and vulnerability.  Logan, is a veteran who is truly Tessa's strength and is now a park ranger.  So who murdered Aurora?  And why is everyone hiding something?  Thank you NetGalley, Montlake and Melinda Leigh for another great visit to Widows Island. I freely volunteer my thoughts and opinions.
This book was a page turner from beginning to end. This author duo can do no wrong and I am straight addicted to this thriller and crime fighting that takes place any time a new book comes out - thank you!  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Buried Bones – Melinda Leigh

#BuriedBones #NetGalley #Montlake
Thank you to @Netgalley, Montlake publishers and author Melinda Leigh for the ARC of this novella to review.

It was an easy read having never reat the Widow’s Island series before so after a brief back story on the main characters we were straight into the action!

A body discovered on a hike and stories not adding up? I. Was. Hooked.

A nice quick, easy read thriller with a little darkness thrown in.

3 stars.
A fast paced, edge of your seat suspense... add some romance and family health issues, and you feel like you're right in amongst the story.
Tessa and Logan are a great couple!
A well deserved 5 star read.
A partially decomposed body is discovered by Deputy Tessa Black.   The investigation begins.  This is a novella but there is a lot packed into this book.  There is plenty of suspense along with a romance.   This book is part of a series but can be read as a stand alone.  Great addition to the series that will keep you turning the pages.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.
A very quick and enjoyable read.  Much shorter than expected but it is a complete story. Don't expect a lot of character development if you haven't read any of the other books in this series.  It's enjoyable on it's own, but a bonus if know the characters a little bit
3.5 stars.
Another engaging, quick read in the Widow’s Island series, “Buried Bones”, by Melinda Leigh (Montlake), with a strong heroine, Tessa, dealing with an ailing mother at home and crime solving in her job as a deputy.
Tessa Bailey and park ranger Logan Wilde form an incredible couple, very supportive of each other in family and work issues. Tessa is strong and confident, and Logan is an incredible caring partner.
This was a quick read about a murder in a small community where helping and supporting your neighbor really matter.
I really enjoy this series. And this fast paced visit was no exception. Tessa is a great character. I love her strength from being a cop but also her raising her sister and taking care of her mom with dementia. I also absolutely love Logan. As well as the friendships.
Buried Bones was a quick read, which is right up my alley these days with my attention span sorely lacking.  I have not read Melinda Leigh before and I realize this is book 7 in the Widow's Island series, but I fell easily into the storyline and never felt like I was missing any background or info.

Tessa and Logan, who are engaged to be married, are working together on a case involving a murdered collage student who came to Widow's Island to work a summer job.  Melinda keeps the story moving along at a steady pace and I really liked that there wasn't all kinds of filler dialogue or overly descriptive scenes.  Just nice, concise telling of what is happening.  It's a little suspenseful, with a whodunnit vibe, which I love because I'm always looking for clues to see if I can figure out who commited the crime before the author reveals it.

I really liked Tessa and Logan's characters, although I couldn't help but wonder why Logan was so focused on eating all the time.  Making sure he and Tessa ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all the time.  Other than that curiosity, I liked their relationship, and I'm really going to need to go back and read about them from the beginning to see how they got to where they are today.

There is a good cast of secondary characters that I'm interested in learning more about, and as I mentioned the story went at a really good pace, and I was invested from beginning to end.  I can't wait to go back and explore this series from the beginning!

Many thanks to the publisher, Montlake and Netgalley for providing me with an advance review copy of this story in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Tessa finds a body when she went hiking with her younger sister. The body is a college student named Aurora. This book kept me guessing until the very end
‘Buried Bones’ is the 7th novella in this series. I wouldn’t recommend starting with this book, you definitely need to read the previous books in this series as more background on the characters and their circumstances are all established in the earlier books.
With this novella, we jump straight in. Sheriff Deputy Tessa Black is out hiking with her sister when they stumble across a buried body.  The body is identified as Aurora Franklin, a college student there on the island for a summer job. It’s up to Tessa her fiancé park ranger Logan Wilde to find out who killed Aurora.
This was a quick, fast read. A nice addition to the series. 3.5 stars
When I received the ARC of Buried Bones, I wasn’t aware it was a novella.  I was disappointed only because it wasn’t a longer book.  Tessa Black is the sheriff on Widow’s Island, a remote island in Washington.  She is out hiking with her sister and stumbles across a body.  Identifying the victim and solving the murder is the storyline. In the course of the novella, we come to know Tessa, her sister, her fiancé and her mother.  I was surprised to see this is book 7 in the Widow’s Island series.  I will be looking for the rest!