Cover Image: The Lost Bones

The Lost Bones by Kendra Elliot
Publisher: Montlake
Genre: General Fiction (Adult), Romance
Published: October 26, 2021

The Lost Bones is the eighth book in the Widow's Island series by Kendra Elliot. This crime drama can easily be read as a standalone book.

I loved how fast paced this book is! I read it in one sitting and could not put it down! The characters are great, so likable and interesting, and the people in the island town are fascinating. I loved that small town feeling. The story was incredible! I loved trying to solve the mystery! The suspense was awesome!!!

I highly recommend this book to crime drama fans.

Who knew that I have been missing some Widow Island action.  I read Buried Bones by Melinda Leigh and I found  The Lost Bones by Kendra Elliot - only to find out with this book that these were books 7 & 8! Gah I have some catching up to do and look for book 1 stat!

The Lost Bones obviously can be read as a standalone. I had no problem keeping up with the story line. There was that feeling that there is history with these characters and that is when I found there are other books before this one. It is still okay, it did not affect how I enjoyed this suspenseful mystery. I do feel I will have more of a back ground if I go back to the other books.

The Lost Bones will give you a shiver that will go deep into your bones. There was a time or two that I was on the edge of my seat wondering what Cate will find next. I tried my hardest to put this story together, but at the last second, I found that I was wrong. This story had me tearful and not sure what would happen next.

I am a huge fan of Kendra's writing and The Lost Bones is another book I will keep on my re-read list. You do not want to miss out on this suspenseful thriller!
Another great addition to this series, Cafes turn this time and an unsolved mystery from her past. Great characters,great story.
This is an engaging story that keeps your attention from start to finish. A surprising package with links to a cold case pulls Cate back into her old role as an FBI agent. Isolated survivalists, a kidnapping and the search for a child killer keeps you entertained in this fast paced story. This is an enjoyable mystery with authentic, likable characters and an entertaining plot.
Buried Bones (book 7) is the only other book in this series that I have read but it’s safe to say I am hooked and will be going back for more. I loved Tessa but Cate is just as lovable and just as badass. Both authors also describe the island so well that I feel like I’m there with them. It’s nice to read a book with murder in that also has romances and friendships. This book was fast paced with an ending full of suspense and sadness and I can’t wait to read more.
Summer festival, wedding plans, business doing great, and former FBI agent Cate Wilde has never been happier. Then a mysterious box filled with clues to an unsolved case suck Cate right back into the case. I love my visits to the Widow’s Island series so I can re-join the engaging characters and the fascinating island life, but also the shrewd mysteries and new aspects of the island that are uncovered with each fresh installment.

The Lost Bones is the eighth of the series. It could be read standalone in a pinch, but is best enjoyed as part of the series.

Each time Cate and Henry think she has moved on from her old days of working cases for the FBI something comes up. Cate still suffers from the PTSD that put her out to pasture the first time, but she’s getting stronger and is most happy now that she is back on Widow’s enjoying a strong relationship with Henry and being part of island life with her bakery and bookstore.

But, there are those cases that stick with one and the kidnapped child by her survivalist, abusive father is one of them. With a fresh set of clues, Cate and the rest of the investigators have a new chance at finding the culprit and maybe stopping it from all happening again with someone else.

I love seeing Cate working the case and tracking down her quarry, but particularly because she is smart about it and doesn’t disdain Henry’s care and good ideas that help. There was a good build of tension to the final riveting scene. Immediately, I felt the bittersweet emotion of full enjoyment and the need for patience until the next release. Those who want a good balance of romance, cast of characters, setting, and well-developed suspense plot in a quick-read novella should give this book/series a try.
Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh are writing a series of novella that bring the world of Widow Island to life with mystery surrounding every part of the small island.

Each Character comes to life in such a few short pages that will have reader hooked until the very last word is printed. Each person in the island are intertwined to the point readers will feel like everyone is family or a killer. The Novella is short fast pace and will keep readers wanting more.

Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of The Lost Bones.
The Lost Bones by Kendra Elliot
This novella is my first book by this author so I was not familiar with the series. It still wasn’t hard to understand what was going on but I didn’t really have a connection with the characters. The story was short but good with a thriller type of ending including a boat chase.
The Lost Bones is an intriguing and easy-to-read story about an unsolved crime that seems to be repeated again.  Cate is no longer with the FBI and is enjoying her new life at the island, however, she receives a most unexpected box that places her inside a new FBI task force that puts her in touch with one of the crimes she left unsolved and the new one she was shoved inside. Will she be able to solve both crimes now? How will she keep those involved safe?
This series is amazing.  I love it more with each new installment.  This one is no exception.  I found it to be fast-paced and riveting.  The plot is a little heartbreaking but so good.  I look forward to the next installment.
Delicious, atmospheric thrill ride that I couldn't put down and instantly fired off an email to recommend it to family, friends, and library staff.
Once again Cate is drawn into an investigation. Seven years ago a father abducted his daughter and fled the authorities. Nobody has seen him since. Then Cate gets a package with some old bones and a message indicating the child is dead and another one is on danger.
I wanted to throttle the father myself for how he treated his wife. So I was really satisfied with the ending.
Cate Wilde may have left the FBI behind but it seems to refuse to leave her behind. A mysterious package arrives giving her a clue into a case from her past and with a plea for help drawing her back in. A kidnapped child... a distraught family and a kidnapper still on the run with a new victim and they are all a little too close to home. Seems like Cate might never put run her FBI past or need to help people and of course her doctor fiancé Henry is right there by her side helping her in anyway he can.  I can’t really say it was suspenseful there wasn’t really a mystery to it because you knew who the kidnapper was that was obvious and you could pretty much guess how it would go. It was sad but it wasn’t a bad story there was some action in it.
Another great read in the Widow’s Island series.  Cate Wilde has returned home to Widow’s Island after leaving the FBI.  She owns a bakery and bookstore and is planning a future with her fiancé Henry, the Island’s resident doctor.  Life is pretty perfect for her until a mysterious package arrives one day with evidence inside that thrusts Cate right back into an unsolved case from her past that still haunts her.

Ms. Elliot drew me into this story very quickly, keeping me totally engaged in the mystery that Cate was desperate to solve.  I felt her frustration at not being able to resolve this case so many years ago.  I felt her sadness for Kori and what she had lived through.

I really enjoyed how Ms. Elliot takes readers around the island and the attractions there are to see.  I felt like I was there, visiting the bakery and the shops the tourists were flocking to.  We go off the island too, to some smaller, sparsely populated islands where the survivalists were living.  The scenery was vivid in my mind.  The closer we got to the end of the story, the more the suspense ramped up, until I was holding my breath and reading with one eye closed, hoping Cate would be okay and would finally get resolution to a case that's stuck with her for years.

I recently just finished reading Buried Bones, my first foray into the Widow’s Island novellas so I was familiar with the cast of characters and even though I jumped into the series with books 7 & 8, I did not feel lost at all as each novella is a complete standalone.  I can’t wait to go back and start from book 1 and work my way through the whole series.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Book #8 in the Widow's Island series.  The series are novellas written in alternating fashion between Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh.  I have read all of them and recommend you read them in order.  The stories may be shorter than most, but they are full of the thrills and chills these two writers are famous for.
Cate Wilde no longer woks for the FBI and she's much happier since she left.  Her life is pretty perfect until she recieves a box containing the bones of a kidnapped child, one of Cate's cold cases.  Now she's officially working with the FBI to find the kidnapper turned killer before he finds Cate and stops her.
A case that former FBI Agent Cate Wilde dealt with has come back to haunt her. Cate retired from the FBI after being shot and now owns a bakery and bookstore on Widow’s Island. Her romance with Dr. Henry Powers has brought love and joy back into her life, until she opens a package that was sent to her. A partial mandible of a small child is in the package with an article about the missing child case that Cate had worked. Cate will become an unwilling consultant to the FBI in order to contact the mother and grandparents of the child. Her fear is that the man involved, who they have never been able to find, has found a new victim. A heart racing search for the man ends in a fight to the death for Cate and Henry. This fast-paced series, although shorter in length, will capture your interest until the very end. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
I really enjoyed this book. I know, I've started late my adventure with this series, but I'm definitely coming back to earlier books.

Ftom the first pages I was very curious , how the story will go on thru the pages. I'm rather used to read longer stories, but even if The Lost Bones is little shorter, author left me very satisfied.

The story line with the events were matched perfectly, and I couldn't wait to. find out what  will happen next.

I'm waiting forward for the rest storiee in series, even if it means for me looking back into previous books.
Cate Wilde is a former FBI Agent who has moved back to Widow's Peak, seeking a simpler life than she had before as a law enforcement agency.

Her past goes roaring into the present when she receives a box with a child's bones inside. These bones lead her to an unsolved case she investigated 7 years previously.  A 3-year old girl was kidnapped.  Cate suspected the father, but he soon vanished after the girl's kidnapping. Neither have been seen since.

Book Blurb:  At the urging of the girl’s mother, Cate dives back into the case and learns her prime suspect may still be a threat. Armed with new clues and a fresh perspective, Cate must confront the possibility that the kidnapper is poised to strike again

This easy-to-read novella is full of action, an air of mystery swirling around the solidly defined characters.  There are twists and turns leading first this way, then another.  Although 8th in the series, this can easily be read as a stand alone.

Many thanks to the author / Montlake Publishing / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction novella.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Loved The Lost Bones... Cate Wilde has left the FBI after a traumatic incident while serving a warrant when she was shot. The shake up from that incident is something Cate fought through but couldn't overcome. The case that was the one case she always wanted to solve has new developments which draw Cate back to the job. The mandible of a little girl and writing on newspaper clippings are to much to ignore and Cate must talk to the family. Discovering some lived on the little island was surprising to say the least.

Fascinating story, but so tragic. Loved Cate and Henry as always.
This review was originally posted on <a href="https://booksofmyheart.net/2021/10/24/%f0%9f%8e%a7-the-lost-bones-by-kendra-elliot/" target="_blank"> Books of My Heart</a>
&nbsp;

<i>Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.</i>

I read the first 4 books in this <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/238242-widow-s-island" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"><em><strong>Widow's Island</strong></em></a> series through Kindle Unlimited.  They are written alternately by Kendra Eliot and Melinda Leigh.  Each book in the series are short, novella length.   I would read them in order due to the personal relationships.

In previous books, Cate is an FBI agent who is injured and comes back to the island to stay with her grandma while she recuperates.  While she is there, she gets involved with a new case on the island.  She is on leave but decides to stay on the island to run the bakery / bookshop with her grandma and her new boyfriend, the island doctor.

Cate receives a new lead from an old case of child abduction, where she was the lead.  The case was not solved and she is unhappy with that.  The new lead throws her back into the case, even though she is no longer working for the FBI because the family wants her and trusts her.

<strong>The Lost Bones</strong> is dark and suspenseful.  Cate puts herself in real danger but is determined to save the child.  Henry supports and helps her like the good guy he is.   Tessa and Logan also get in on the action.  I really felt this one and wonder if Cate can really stay totally out of FBI work.  She has a great mind and instincts for it.