Cover Image: Unmissing

Unmissing

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for an e-ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
Loved the psychological thriller aspect of it but the plot is impossible. I didn't like the characters either. The first half was notoriously slow for my liking. Although the climax came as a surprise.
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It was a super quick read (finished it all in one go). Slightly predictable (figured out one twist right from the start). However, it was off the charts entertaining and, for that reason alone; I am giving this one, two solid thumbs up! 👍🏻👍🏻

**ARC Via NetGalley**
I really enjoyed the psychological Thriller it had me hooked from the start. Merritt Coletto’s upscale home claiming to have been the husband dead wife which then turns into a game. The pace wasn't great and the pov kept changing which made it a bit of a difficult read.
This was my first title by this author and I will definitely be reading more!  This was a twisty psychological thriller that hooked me from the beginning. When a woman shows up at Merritt Coletto’s upscale home claiming to be her husband’s presumed dead first wife, quickly turns into a game of secrets. There were quite a few twists along the way, many were predictable yet some were not. The storyline is slightly far-fetched with a couple of plot holes but I throughly enjoyed it!  Solid 4 ⭐️ for the writing and entertainment factor!
**3.5 stars** Well, that was fun. Unlikeable characters and totally implausible plot but somehow I still enjoyed it. It was quick read, fast-paced and entertaining. I'd read another by Minka Kent. *Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advanced copy of this title.
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

Unmissing was missing something. The first 2/3 were a slog with slow pacing, repetitiveness, and an air of "is this even going anywhere?" which, for a book about a wife turning up after 10 years (or so) missing, is pretty surprising.

The last third was like reading a different book entirely. It was fast-paced, full of twists and turns, and hit every beat. While reading, I had a sense of "this is where the writing started". Here, the prose seemed to be written with more care and nuance, with the first 2/3 just seeming like the author needed to bulk out the word count to get the story where she really wanted it to be.

These comments don't even really include the distractingly problematic other points, like a woman being tortured for almost an entire decade with little psychological damage or impact, or no real reason for her not going to the police - or even considering it at any point (despite escaping a monster, being shot, and living on the street).

I'm a bit disappointed that this was my first read by this author because if her other novels are like the last third of Unmissing, they're probably fantastic books.
This is the 2nd book by Minka Kent that I've read and I'm not really sure why I haven't read her entire back list yet.

Lydia's been missing for 10 years, presumed dead, until she escapes and knocks on her husband, Luca's door. Upon knocking she learns in the 10 years she's been missing, he's now remarried with children.
Merritt, now married to Luca is shocked to find his supposedly dead wife on her doorstep. She's worried about what this will do to her picture perfect family that's secretly struggling with failing restaurants and finances.

Wow! This book was fantastic! The pace made it impossible to put down, the mystery kept me flipping pages & the twists are downright shocking! (Yes, there are multiple shocking twists.)
I'll definitely be reading Ms Kent's previous books very soon. Highly recommend this one!
#Unmissing #NetGalley#Thomas & Mercer #MinkaKent

Unmissing by Minka Kent

A sudden knock at the door changed everything.

Merritt and Luca are happily married, they have a great life.
Merritt answered the door to find a shock, Lydia, Luca's first wife was there.
Lydia went missing on a hike 10 years ago and was never found.

Why is Lydia there? What does she want? What happened to her?  Why did she stay gone so long and why is she back now?

Does she want Luca back?

So many questions, will they be answered in the book?

I liked how Lydia just showed up and the story went into high gear and never stopped.
I liked that I didn't know where the story was going.
I thought I had figured something out at one point but it went way deeper and creepier than I could have imagined.

This was a one-sitting read for me like with most thrillers.

4******

Who would enjoy this book? Readers who want a quick thriller that will keep them guessing and turning the pages since they just Have to Know what happened. They will want all the pieces to fall into place and have the details make sense. By the end of the book readers will have their questions answered and have things they never thought of answered as well.

So this is another solid satisfying thriller by the author Minka Kent.

My thanks to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer, and author Minka Kent for the ebook and my honest review.

Review sent to NetGalley, Goodreads, Amazon and Wordpress.com
When I started this book, I didn't have any big expectations, but the ending was something that I didn't expect, and it was worthwhile to finish the book.
Merritt Coletto and her husband, Luca, have the life they dreamed of: a coastal home, a promising future, and a growing family. That dream ends with a late-night knock on the door.
Lydia is Luca's first wife, and she is weak, broken, and emaciated. Missing for ten years, presumed dead, and very much alive, she has quite a story. Her kidnapping Torturous confinement that should’ve ended with her death. And finally, escape. Racked with guilt over the beautiful life they’ve built, Merritt and Luca agree to help get Lydia back on her feet—it’s the least they can do.
But the more enmeshed Lydia becomes in Merritt’s family, the more questions Merritt has. What is it about Lydia that’s especially unnerving? Why hasn’t she gone to the police with her harrowing tale? What does she really want of them? The answers, when they come, are terrifying.
Because Lydia isn’t the only one with secrets,

With every chapter, you become more and more intrigued about what is going to happen next. It is very interesting and easy to read. It definitely keeps you on your toes all the time. It's twisty, dynamic, and thrilling.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the complimentary copy.
Unmissing by Minka Kent was a suspenseful tale with no less than 3 twists. While I saw a few of the twists coming, I was genuinely surprised by others. It was interesting to see the events from both Merritt and Lydia’s points of view. I wish we would have seen Luca’s POV as well even for just a chapter. Overall, I enjoyed this ride of a book.
This story didn't work for me. I think that in thrillers it's important that the characters feel real and that their actions and choices are realistic. In this book, the characters didn't feel real at all. And by the end of the story it felt like I was reading about characters who where completely different from the characters in the beginning but with just the same names. And it wasn't a good thing. I felt cheated because it made the writing seem very low quality and like this story wasn't planned out really well. I felt like I wasted way too much time reading this because it wasn't worth it.
This book was so good! I want to see more from this author in the future!! I couldn't put this book down. What a page turner!!!
I opted to read 'Unmissing' by Minka Kent after  finding the summary of the book intriguing. The premise of the story is that a happy family awaiting another baby in a matter of days gets turned on its head,  when Lydia, the long-lost ex-wife of the husband Luca, who has been presumed dead, meets the current wife Merritt.

As one would expect, the strange triangle formed by the 'legally dead' ex-wife,  the current wife and the husband renders itself onto an intriguing backdrop for an interesting story, where each person has their own agenda. Till the end,  the reader is never sure what is the actual truth and whose intentions are honest. 'We never know a person completely' - this is a dialogue in the book and it holds true for the characters in the book too.

The author Minka Kent has done a good job of holding the reader's attention throughout the length of the book; I never once kept the book down. She keeps throwing so many curve-balls along the way, some of which I never saw coming, that it is sure to make you sit up in surprise in atleast a few places. Her narrative is detailed enough to give enough depth to the story and the characters and her pacing is crisp.  However, a small drawback is that there are certain things that have been tied up in a not very logical way making it plainly visible to have been done for the sake of convenience.

Nevertheless,  I actually enjoyed the book very well and definitely recommend it to anyone who  are looking for a quick,  intriguing,  psychological thriller.

Thanks to Netgalley,  the publisher and the author for the ARC provided in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
I ended up reading this as a finished audiobook, and both the story, and the narration, are super well executed.  Minka Kent is a mystery dark horse - every time I pick up one of her books I end up shocked, engaged, and amazed at the twisted plots. Unmissing has so much to recommend it - I could not have remotely predicted those twists - well done!
UNMISSING - MINKA KENT

⭐⭐⭐⭐.5/5

Thank you to @netgalley and @minkakentauthor for the ARC of this book! This is available now on kindle unlimited!

This book was so good! I went in mostly blind having never read a Minka Kent book before and I was thoroughly impressed.

It is about a wife Lydia that goes missing and after 9 years turns up to her (now ex) husband's house that he share with his new wife. I won't say too much more but this book is packed with secrets.

From the first chapter it was all go and it never stopped until the very last minute. I found myself invested in the story that I didn't want to stop reading. Being on kindle unlimited also allowed me to partly listen to this book too and I have to say the narration was just as awesome as the book.

A quick read with short chapers, multiple POVs, multiple twists (one had my jaw dropping) and a classic thriller that'll have you enthralled the whole time.

I would definitely recommend you all go and pick this up now so I can see if you loved it as much as me!
I wanted to love this book, like I feel whenever I start a new book. Yet, I thought..."this is so stupid"!  I plodded through and found that the story started picking up speed and momentum so much so that I had to finish. I still think it's a really dumb preface. It is the perfect Lifetime Movie, not my favorite genre either. Nevertheless, it is clearly and well written, and pretty action filled, at the same time that it is not likely and truly a made up story. Anyway three stars, simply because the subject matter is just so stupid! Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer publishing for the ARC in return for a very HONEST review!
Luca and Merritt are a successful couple running a few businesses. Starting their family, life seems absolutely perfect. That is until Luca's "dead" first wife reappears, not so dead at all. Un missing, Lydia has found her way back to her husband after being kidnapped and kept hostage for nine years and she isn't about to let Luca erase her from his life as quickly as he thinks.

A bit predictable. But, fast paced and attention grabbing. Always enjoy a Minka Kent book!
Full review available on: https://bonnevivantetr.wordpress.com/2022/04/09/book-review-unmissing-by-minka-kent/

I had such big hopes from this book due to its highly mysterious and exciting description. Unfortunately, this one didn’t quite reach my expectations and I would give it a 3/5.
Did this book have a plot twist? Yes. Dis it surprise me (and multiple times at that)? It absolutely did. However did it have an impact on me? Unfortunately not, and this can be due to the fact that I did not care about any of the characters.
“Unmissing” tells the story of Lydia, who went missing at 20 years old, after being married to Luca Coletto for no more than a few months. The events of the novel take place 9 years after Lydia’s disappearance and start off with Lydia’s escape/return from her kidnapper. As she returns to the town where she and her husband Luca used to live in, she realizes that Luca has remarried to a beautiful woman named Merritt, founded a restaurant business with her and that he now has a family of his own with one little daughter and one baby on the way.
Now I don’t know why but Lydia decides to deal with her return all alone: she doesn’t go to the police, claim that she is alive or file a complaint for her abductor. The book actually brings somewhat of an explanation for this in the later chapters but I unfortunately didn’t find this course of action very logical. As she’s trying to make it on her own, a very kind-hearted woman, Delphine comes into her life and helps her as much as she can.
Once ready, Lydia goes to face Luca in his new house. Of course, this reappearance of a once presumably dead woman changes everything for Luca and his family. As pages and chapters pass, we’re confronted with not one but two plot twists. Honestly, I thought these were pretty good plot twists, I heard that some people found them rather predictable but fortunately this wasn’t the case for me. I was sincerely surprised. But I just couldn’t care for any of the characters which made the twists less impactful. To be fair, the most likable, logical and credible character was Delphine (the woman who helped Lydia) for me.
Since the book alternates in between Lydia’s and Merritt’s eyes and is written in first person POV, this literary decision obliges the author to actually turn both of these women into unreliable narrators in the middle of the book just for the sake of the plot twists. And the problem is that we learn these twists by reading Lydia and Merritt’s thoughts once again IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK. But we’ve actually been reading their thoughts from the beginning and they actually know the plot twist so they’re not actually shocked by these revelations. So I don’t understand how it would be possible for them to not think about these facts all along the book once they cross paths and suddenly think of it to reveal a mystery and cause excitement once it’s convenient for the plot? It’s not like they’re learning something new from an investigation or something, they already know what they’re thinking.
Of course, this small logical problem got so much under my skin that I couldn’t empathize with nor care for any of these women afterwards.
However after this much critique, I should also give this book its value. First of all, the idea behind the book felt new, it just could’ve been better executed. Second of all, the plot twists actually surprised me more than I was expecting them to: they were out of the ordinary. The truth behind the events of Lydia’s disappearance, turned out to be way darker than I had anticipated. And finally, once the pace picks up especially towards the latest chapters of the book, you don’t want to put the book down which is almost always a good sign. I would also say that the ending was actually very good, that I think that the title of the book is a brilliant and original idea and that I love the book cover (which drove me to read this book the first time from what I can remember.
So if you’re looking for a mystery/thriller book that is quite different from most of the books in the bookstores and if you don’t easily get disturbed from slight inaccuracies or logical mistakes, you are very likely to enjoy this book, I’d suggest you to give it a thought.
Okay Minka Kent you got me a little with this one! This was an enticing, unpredictable domestic thriller. I wasn’t really sure what was going on and was thrown for two fun loops! Minka Kent never disappoints!