Cover Image: Unmissing

Unmissing

Minka Kent is an automatic buy for me. All of her books have “wowed” me. But this one…this one takes the cake. To say “I did not see that coming” is putting it mildly! Merritt & her husband Luca Colette are living it up! Fancy cars, restaurant owners, nice house…until the past comes knocking. Literally. Luca’s first wife went missing 10 years ago, officially deceased, but she’s alive and ready to see her loving husband. But why does she not go to the police first? ⭐️ Nail-biting intense thriller!!! Think of The Last Mrs. Parrish…but on steroids. Wickedly entertaining!! Thank you Minka Kent and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my review
Where does Minka Kent come up with all these ideas??!! Talk about a twisty ride. This book was even more interesting than her last one that had me questioning what I knew and what was going on!! This book will get you right away and you will be frantically turning the pages trying to figure out what the heck is happening.
Minka Kent is quickly becoming an automatic read author for me. Each book of hers that I've read had me hanging on each page from start to finish and Unmissing was no different.

Lydia, who went missing and was presumed dead for about 10 years, comes back knocking on her husband Luca's door only to have his new wife, Merrit, slam the door in her face.  Merrit essentially was staring into the face of what she believed to be her husband's dead wife can you imagine that feeling?

Lydia begins to put her life back together but is determined to talk to Luca before she will leave them alone....why? It doesn't seem like she's still in love with him but it does seem like something was left unfinished.

This book is twisty and full of secrets... just when you think it's resolved it takes another turn. Some of those twists I could see coming but others I was left open jawed.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. I can't wait for more novels by Kent in the future!
This was such a fun, quick, thrilling read! I always *assumed* I knew where this story was headed, but over and over again the plot twisted and I was left with my mouth hanging open in surprise. The author also did a wonderful job of tying up loose ends. There are a few times that a twist was introduced and my first thought would be, “No way! If that’s the case, so and so would have never reacted like they did earlier on,” but then the author would prove to be one step ahead, and have that character go on to explain exactly WHY they did those things earlier on. I really appreciated the smart writing, intense surprise factor, and chilling storyline of this book. Wonderful job!
Minka Kent has become one of my go to authors when I need a quick reading thriller that holds my interest.

Merritt and Luca are living a charmed life if you discount the restaurants that they own are failing. When Luca is out of town, a woman, Lydia, shows up at the door. Merritt answers and this woman tells her that she is Luca's wife that went missing 9 years ago.

Merritt doesn't know what to think as it is her. Luca walks around in stunned silence. Each chapter alternates between Lydia's POV and Merritts. One can only feel terrible for what Lydia suffered but there is also sympathy for Merritt. No spoilers!

Quick and enjoyable read.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars. This book had a solid storyline, one that has been used before but taken just that little step further. I could easily predict within the first chapter or two a major plot line, but there was still a twist I didn't see coming. There was a nice, tidy ending, which I always prefer.
I was provided an advanced copy in return for an honest review of Unmissing. Minka Kent does it again! This page-turner had me thinking I had it all figured out, but then a single sentence, a single phrase would make me think again. I would tell myself, "one more chapter," before bed, and that would easily turn into five chapters. The dual narrative was easy to follow, and the characters were compelling. Kent is fast becoming one of my favorite authors thanks to her prose and her ability to spin a tale that keeps me guessing and keeps me reading well past my bedtime.
What happens when an expectant mother opens her front door to find her husband's first wife standing there, the wife who vanished a few months into their brief marriage and was declared legally dead almost a decade ago? Merritt Coletto sends the other woman packing. It's not important whether she believes the dirty, emaciated stranger. Her -- their? -- husband is busy with more urgent matters and can't be disturbed.

The idea of a dead character returning to their former life and trying to pick up whatever pieces are still left is one that fascinates me. It's been done before, but this thriller takes the idea in directions that surprised me and kept me holding my breath and turning pages until the end. I would've read it cover to cover in one sitting if life hadn't pulled me away once or twice.
Well, I didn’t see this coming!  Very good story about a missing wife who comes back years later, finding her husband remarried with a family.  Anyone would be angry, but why is Lydia so furious?  What really happened when she disappeared?
Bravo, Minka Kent! Another winner. I just finished Unmissing and it was great. The story is of Lydia, Luca and Merritt. Luca’s first wife, Lydia goes missing after a short time of marriage. Her body never discovered. She and Luca were penniless, just trying to start their lives together. Flash forward 9 years and Luca is married to Merritt with one child, a successful restaurant business, and another child on the way, when a woman returns claiming to be Luca’s long lost wife. The story moves forward in one direction and then takes a sharp turn several times. I think I’ve read all Minka Kent’s books, but I’m going to make sure I haven’t missed any. I recommend this 100%. Thanks to #netgalley , #minkakent and #thomas&mercer  for the advanced copy.
Man marries woman. Woman dies. Man remarries. 2nd wife answers knock on the door to find? First wife. Back from the dead? Stay tuned!!! I'm a fan of Minka Kent's writing and this is another out of the park book with many twists and WHAT's??? Easy to read and I finished this in a weekend. I don't want to give much away as I would ruin the suspense. Pick this one up!
This new release Unmissing is so full of great twists which will take you by surprise.
The story is told in multiple POV from the missing wife and the current wife and had the right mix of thrills and suspense to keep the book entertaining.
Excellent, twisty thriller. Highly recommend for the plucky female lead, the setting, and the twist. Love the premise, too.
I have not read this author before and was pleasantly surprised. I love that it was told from different points of views and I suspected everyone at some point. The story was fast paced. I felt like there was a big build up and then it just kind of ended.
Yes. This was for sure everything I was looking for and ready to devour in such a short amount of time. This was insane? Absolutely. I love domestic thrillers. Especially those that really drag you back to a characters past and those that bring you back into a characters past. This was fun and had me on the edge of my seat and it was thrilling and absolutely exciting. 5 out of 5 stars!
Another great read from Minka Kent!  Loved the creepy storyline and it was fascinating to watch the well crafted characters spring to life.  Twists and turns abound.  Did not see ‘THAT’ coming at all!  Highly recommend.
Thank you net galley for the opportunity to read and review this book
Thank you Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for the eARC.
Wow, this book had my head spinning!  An excellent mystery that had some stunning twists.
Lydia, after only been married for a few months, is on a hike when she gets kidnapped and held hostage for years - tortured, raped and practically starved, then shot, left for dead.  She survives and manages to find her way to her husband, who had her declared dead after a year, is now happily married and a successful restaurateur, living the good life.
What follows is Lydia's tortuous route to fashion a decent future for herself, hopefully with the help of her husband and his new wife.  It's impossible to put this story down, you are so rooting for Lydia, feeling sorry for the new wife as well, but there are twists that will have you gasping for breath...Definitely recommended!
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The book is exciting and fast- paced, I was able to finish it in two days. I expected a story about the after math of when a missing wife comes out, to find the husband now has moved on with a new life. I got it, with a few big twists.

Now that I finished the book, there's still a bunch of plot holes I didn't understand, and I found the dynamic between husband- first wife, first and second wife, to be not believable. The characters did feel a bit flat at times,  caricature- like.
Minka, Minka, Minka, can’t you see?
Sometimes your words just hypnotize me
I usually love your bookish ways
But this time, the ending didn’t pay

Any The Notorious B.I.G. fans in the house?

I usually don’t have to digress this early, but I digress…

Merritt Coletto is pregnant with her second child, and is living the life of luxury as the wife of restaurateur Luca. Things become tense when his first wife comes knocking at the door.

Lydia has been missing and presumed dead for ten years. She was kidnapped and held against her will by an emotionally and physically abusive man, and managed to escape.

Now, she shows up at the Coletto household and meets Merritt, wanting to let her husband know she is actually still alive.

Merritt is frightened of what this will do to the family dynamic, but she and Luca decide to help Lydia get back on her feet.

What could go wrong?!?

I absolutely love Minka Kent and her fabulous writing. I was anticipating this one as soon as I read the synopsis. Yet, while it’s an entertaining and speedy read, I can’t say that I loved it.

The characters are unique, and I was intrigued until about 75%. I thought I had the plot completely figured out. While a part of it surprised me, I have to admit that everything DID cross my mind at one point or another.  At the end of the day, I think your enjoyment will depend on if you can suspend disbelief enough and embrace it all.

This reader didn’t fully embrace it, but I was entertained. I just expected a bit more oomph. I still recommend Kent’s books, and can’t wait to see what she comes up with next!

BONUS POINTS: Minka gives thanks to her dogs in the acknowledgements.

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer for an ARC through NetGalley. Expected Publication Date: 2/15/22.

Review also posted at: https://bonkersforthebooks.wordpress.com
Loved this book.  Minka Kent sends you on a twisty turny unexpected journey in this exceptional book