Cover Image: Unmissing

Unmissing

Unmissing by Miinka Kent is a twisted domestic mystery. A pregnant wife's worst nightmare. Merritt has a loving husband, Luca and young daughter. Then his first wife, Lydia (who disappeared while hiking and was declared dead ten years ago) reappears. She doesn't go to the police first. Their story alternates between Merritt and Lydia's perspective.
Merritt and Luca were living a privileged life with a fancy home, cars and even a nanny, in Bent Creek, Oregon. However, their once thriving restaraunt business is failing. They're on the brink of bankruptcy.
Lydia was abducted and has just escaped from "the Monster" who had tortured, abused and nearly killed her. She's made her way back to Luca, only to discover he's moved on and has a perfect new life. She's dead to the world, no social security card, no drivers lisence, no identity. Lydia trades chores for room & board with a new age lady, Delphine, in order to stay near Luca.
Merritt tries to befriend Lydia, instead of reporting to police. She's trying to figure out what angle Lydia's playing. She's determined to save her perfect life and children.
Lydia wants her life back. So where was she for all those years, and who was "the Monster"? It's fast paced, disturbing, and creepy. A quick read that has many surprises and twists. I had not read anything by this author before.
Thanks to Netgalley, Miinka Kent and Thomas & Mercer for the advance digital copy. These are my thoughts and opinions, given voluntarily.
Wow! This is a credit to the suspense domestic thriller genre!
Head-slapping twists succeeded a fast-paced suspense narrative about a twisted triangle of marriage partners, none of whom are who they seem to be to the reader, nor to each other.
Written in first-person, multiple-point-of-view short chapters, the character development was addictive and highly entertaining, especially when the bombshell reveals came.
Minka Kent is one of my favorite authors in this genre and I will read anything she comes out with. Thank you to her and to NetGalley for this compulsive read!
Five stars.
Unmissing is the newest standalone novel by author Minka Kent. This is my first book by this author.

The story follows Merritt Coletto who is shocked to find her husband's deceased first wife on her doorstep one evening. Missing and presumed dead, Lydia Coletto is back. She says she was held prisoner for the past 10 years by someone she calls 'the monster'. But what is the truth, is she really Lydia and if so why is she really back?

The book is told in first person POV with dual narrators. Each chapter alternates between Merritt and Lydia. I liked the dual narratives, it allowed you to get into the head of both characters while still wondering whether either is telling the truth.

The chapters are short and easy to read. The pace is really fast and overall it was quite a short read. It gets into the story straight away, without unnecessary filler and build up.

The story has a few twists and turns which keep it exciting. The first twist I didn't expect and had me flicking back to make sure i'd read correctly. The other twists were a little predictable after that but that didn't take away from the enjoyment of seeing it unfold. The end wrapped things up nicely and no cliffhanger.

Overall, this was a quick fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes suspenseful mysteries and domestic dramas.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.
What a fantastic book! This is the first time I’ve read this author, and I’m quite impressed. If this is standard for her books, I definitely want to read more.

This story is about, and narrated from the points of, three people: Luca, father of one (soon to be two), his pregnant wife, Merritt, and Luca’s ex-wife, Lydia. One evening while Luca is out of town, there is a knock at the door. When Merritt opens it, she finds an emaciated and disheveled woman claiming to be Lydia.

There’s a reason why Luca and Lydia didn’t work out -  she died. Presumably. She went for a hike and never came back, and there was a search effort that was unsuccessful. After her body was never found, she was legally declared dead and eventually, Luca moved on. He had some business success, married Merritt and was about to become a father for the second time when Lydia came into his new life and turned things upside down.

Lydia has quite the tale to tell them - for almost ten years after being abducted on a hiking trail, she was kept in a literal torture chamber where a man she refers to as “The Monster” kept her alive, but barely. She was beaten, starved, raped, burned and shot, but one day, she managed to escape. She came straight back to Luca, and thus into the family he now has.

Merritt doesn’t know what to think of this situation, nor does Luca. There isn’t a handbook for etiquette on what to do when your husband’s dead ex-wife is back in his life (and yours). Merritt sees a woman who may ruin her ‘perfect family’. All Lydia sees is the huge house, the beautiful kids, and the life she missed out on having. She wants that life; she knows she deserves that life.

I figured out a part of the story pretty early on, but when it was revealed only about halfway through the book, I knew that I was in for some crazy twists…and I was correct. I literally gasped a few times, and I thought the ending was fantastic. I thought the whole thing was fantastic, actually. It was a quick and fast-paced read that I didn’t put down until the end. A definite recommendation for thriller and mystery fans, and a definite five stars.

(Thank you to the publisher, author and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my review.)
Luca Coletto reported his wife missing ten years ago and now that he has founded a new family, the late wife appears at his door. Alternating the point of view of the two wives Minka Kent offers us  a very interesting thriller with several unexpected twists that I could not stop reading until the end.
Just finished this one on @netgally from #thomasandmercer #Unmissing by Minka Kent. (February 2022). I have enjoyed her previous books and this one is a fun, fast paced twisty one! No idea where it was going and i love that! If you're a thriller lover that likes twists you don't see coming, unreliable and interesting characters and
Some sweet revenge, you'll love this one. Get it on your radar STAT!

Thanks to the publisher for my early copy, all thoughts are my own.
I'd like to give this book more than 5 stars!   Holy cow!  What a ride!   I was hooked from the first paragraph!   A woman is Oregon is abducted and declared dead.  What happens next is nothing I could have imagined!  I have loved every book of Minka's I have read but this is my favorite and the best one so far!   You won't be disappointed!
When Lydia shows up at her husband’s doorstep after having been missing for 10 years (and declared dead during that time), it’s a true understatement to say some things have changed.  Her husband has remarried, has kids, and is doing extremely well financially.  But when we find out where Lydia’s been all this time and why, that’s where to true twist comes in.  Quite the page-turner, with an extra twist at the end that I never saw coming!

Special Note:  Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This sounded like the sort of book I would enjoy but I found myself dragging through it. For starters, I find it difficult when the main character of a story makes poor decisions. Adding to this was the way plot twists were introduced. I mean I love a good twist, the more the better, but the lead in to these twists felt flat. The whole story was unbelievable and there were a few holes here and there. I've read more unbelievable plots than this but they were written with more intensity and had characters that felt more real.

I received this arc from netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
I received the kindle ARC of Unmissing from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Lydia was married Luca after a short whirlwind love at first sight affair marrying in Vegas abs loving yo a small town called bent creek to start a life together. A life that was coming together quite nicely but Lydia disappeared without a trace until about 10 years later when she suddenly appears out of thin air as she disappeared. Abducted by someone Lydia calls the monster, and a monster he is abducting this woman keeping her captive in a desolate cabin for close to a decade, long years lost of her life, the life she’d have with her husband.
Luca has rebuilt his life, remarried to Merritt , one child and one on the way! a successful restaurant business when Lydia drops back in from the dead!! This book you guys reeled me in from page one and with each Page read I was thirsty for more. So many twists and turns, when you think you have it all figured out another twist! definitely a thriller to have you reading into the night(and day)!!
Run, don’t walk and add this to your tbr pile, coming Feb 15,2022!!
WOW! This a “who done it” from the very beginning. So many twists and turns! Kent did a great job making the reader sympathize and connect with the characters.
OMFG THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!!! There was an amazing sense of dread hanging over this book and I couldn’t trust any of the characters (except Delphine, she’s a literal Angel). The twist towards the end I did not expect at all and did not guess as well. I’m so glad I read this book, definitely buying this when it comes out cause this was phenomenal. One of the my favourite reads of the year!!!
Luca and Merritt seem to have it all. A loving marriage, a blossoming family, a beautiful house, and several  restaurants around their seaside town that provide for their cushy lifestyle. Then the past comes back to haunt them as Luca's first wife Lydia, long ago declared dead, shows up on their doorstep, looking like a drowned rat. Missing for nine years, Lydia's story doesn't quite add up. As the holes begin to slowly fill and the terrifying truth surfaces, domestic bliss will never be the same.

Kent delivers concise storytelling while raising the risks and stakes of her interesting characters. The building tension sparks in every scene. The twists are excellent and well executed.

Kent plants hints of the building unease as the story unfolds. "This house of cards is one gust of wind from toppling over, and I don't want to be that gust."

"There's a fine line between loving someone and submitting to them."

"Can we ever truly know everything about everyone?"

Pros: This intense page turning domestic thriller doesn't disappoint.

Cons: I wish Kent spent a little more time developing Luca, the husband to both wives, since his role is critical to how the story unfolds.

Minka Kent is a new to me author. I'm thrilled I came across her newest book on NetGalley. I'll certainly be reading more of her psychological thrillers in the future. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher Thomas and Mercer for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Solid 3 star read for me. The plot is intriguing: Missing first wife returns from being presumably dead to find her husband remarried with children. This was a very easy read, however it felt nothing really happened until roughly the 60% mark which was a bit disappointing. Once it did get going it was one reveal after the next. and didn't let up. I do have a pet peeve sometimes with nicknames being over used to the point they distract/irritate me. But that's just me and only something that's minor. If your looking for something that's more in depth this may not be for you but if your in the mood just to have a fun easy read this may be that book.

Thanks for my advanced reading copy in exchange for honest revier
So that just happened..

As the book starts a woman opens her door one night and finds her husban'd's first wife.   BUT... the wife has been declared dead for 10 years!    What would YOU do?

So I went into this book thinking it was going to be about the emotional toll this took on everyone, and how do they work this out.  Well I was just wrong!  This book was crazy.. .   and every time I thought I knew how it was going to go next, I was wrong again.    This book had some really crazy twists.

This book was fun, it was an easy read and it kept my attention the whole time.   I just had to know what happened next.

I read this book a week ago - usually this would mean that I don't really remember it.   Sometimes books just blend together.   But not in this case - this is one I will remember for a while.  What a crazy ride!

Thank you to the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
This is a huge guilty pleasure read, and there isn't one thing wrong with that. I loved that the twist came early enough that you really get to sit with it and think through how that works for everyone involved. Even better, you get the rare privilege of kind of sort of rooting for the bad guy at a certain point - I really enjoy that.
A fun, fast-paced domestic thriller told from dual POVs. What would you do if your husband's dead wife showed up at your door? This is the premise of Minka Kent's "Unmissing"; a promising premise that she delivers on.

At first, our narrators, Lydia and Merritt, the previously mentioned husband's first and second wife, respectively, seem to be exactly who they appear to be. Lydia, traumatized and held captive for years by her abductor, wants to reinsert herself into her husband's life. Merritt, meanwhile, is a rich housewife who fears what Lydia's return could mean for her and her family.

This in itself was captivating enough as a narrative, but the twists, some unpredictable and others not so much, added to the tension and intrigue of the story. I won't risk spoilers by saying anymore, but I will say that once this book takes off, it's very hard to put down!

I feel that the writing didn't flow as well during certain parts of the book, but overall it didn't impede the plot progression or my overall enjoyment of the story. This is my first Minka Kent novel, and I'll definitely be checking out more of her stuff! Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas Mercer for a chance to read this in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love Minka Kent books and Unmissing did not disappoint! The book starts with Lydia and Merritt, both wives of Luca, meeting for the first time. Lydia went missing 10 years ago and had been declared dead. Luca is away on business and Merritt sits on the secret that Lydia is alive.  Lydia is determined to reconnect with Luca and plans on staying in town, but she’s currently homeless and has nowhere to go. Lydia meets Delphine, a local shop owner and kind soul, who is willing to help her. Luca finally learns the secret that Merritt has been keeping from him: Lydia is alive. Merritt and Luca agrees to help Lydia get on her feet, but all of them have motives.

This book was a fast paced, engaging page turner. I had so many theories while I was reading, but none of them compared to the ending. Kent kept me on the edge of the seat the whole way through. I highly recommend reading this book!
A 5 star read!! Lydia reappears after being missing for 10 years. She was abducted and held captive until she finally escaped. She returns home to find her husband remarried with a new family. What at first glance appears to be one story gradually changes into a whole different story you weren’t expecting. The twists are sublime and never stop!
I've had my eye on a few books by Minka Kent, but have not had the chance to read any yet. Thanks to an advance review copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, I was finally able to get my hands on a book by this author. She has definitely been added to my list of favorites in my preferred genre of mystery/suspense/thriller! The description of the book draws you in and the story gets right to it. A happily married couple (or so it seems) has their world turned upside down when the presumed dead first wife shows up. I like the writing style told from alternating points of view, not fluff, and a good storyline. There are no gimmicks or unbelievable plot elements. Its a quick read and has a twist or two that I absolutely wasn't expecting! Would highly recommend reading this book. Keeps you guessing and leaves you satisfied at the end.