Cover Image: The Heart of a Cowboy

The Heart of a Cowboy

'He was about as good at parenting Ivy as a hen was at mothering a porcupine.'

I  have loved Jody Hedlund's books since her very first.  She is very adept at switching genres, and I love each one she does. This series, her cowboy one, she proves yet again how great a writer she is.  Fromm crafting believable characters and wonderful plots, when you sit down to read a Hedlund book, you can be sure of a pleasurable reading experience.  Well done1

My thanks to Bethany House for a copy of this book via Net Galley.  I was not expected to write a positive review and the opinion here is my own.
Once again Jody Hedlund has taken me on adventure. This time we traveled across plains in a wagon train headed to Colorado. Mrs Hedlund never fails to transport me to the place she has set her books. I always leave feeling as if I have just experienced life right alongside the people within the story. For this one I rode along with and befriended a female Botanist named Mrs Linnea Newberry.  We traveled the Santa Fe Trail with her Grandfather, Dr Linnus Howell and his team of fellow scientist. When Dr Howell thought Linnea might need a bit of extra watching over he enlisted the help of Flynn McQuaid and his siblings, who were on their way to Colorado to live with family.  Along the way things happen that will make you want to hold and will make you want to cheer.  I was sad to see this story end, however, I am excited and anticipating the next.  The Heart of a Cowboy is book 2 in the Colorado Cowboys series.

** I was given an ARC of this story in exchange for my honest opinion. These words are mine and mine alone.
What a wonderfully captivating, entertaining addition to the Colorado Cowboys series by storyteller extraordinaire Jody Hedlund.  Continuing the saga of the McQuaid family, this book surpassed my expectations which were really high after reading the first book in the series A Cowboy for Keeps.
Once again, Ms. Hedlund excels in bringing the characters to life and making them relatable and memorable.  Flynn and Linnea are now on my list of favorite fictional couples!  Well-crafted secondary characters add depth and interest.  Twelve-year-old, precocious, outspoken Ivy is one of my favorites!
The romance is sweet and sometimes steamy, albeit fraught with complications!  The fast-paced plot takes the reader on a gripping journey down the Santa Fe Trail featuring beautifully drawn settings. Extensive research is evidenced by detailed descriptions as botanist Linnea analyzes the flora and foliage of the area. I especially appreciated the thoughtfully integrated, inspiring spiritual truths in the story.
I love the glimpse of the next McQuaid sibling’s story at the end of the book.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and highly recommend it especially for lovers of historical romance!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.
After getting a glimpse of Flynn at the end of A Cowboy for Keeps I just knew his story would be immensely satisfying to read and Jody did not let me down. I sat down to start the book and had a hard time putting it aside until I finished it. Jody does a wonderful job world building which makes me feel like I’m a participant rather than just a reader. Her vivid descriptions of the trail scenery painted beautiful mental images that enhanced the overall entertainment of the book. My only somewhat complaint is that she ended with a snippet of Brody’s story and now I have to wait another 6-12 months to hear about it. What am I supposed to do in the meantime??? And don’t get me started on waiting for Ivy’s story…..

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to leave a positive review, the opinions expressed here are my own.
Wow! This book was even better than the first book! I am always amazed by all of the books that Jody Hedlund has written, they are so good! The Heart of a Cowboy is the second book in Jody Hedlund’s Colorado Cowboys series. I was excited to read this story because I wanted to learn more about Wyatt’s family and finally get to see Flynn. The Heart of a Cowboy was such a sweet and heartwarming book.
	Flynn wanted to prove that he was better than his older brother, Wyatt. He was determined to deliver cattle to his brother no matter the cost, he would keep the cattle alive. Linnea Newberry is loving traveling the Santa Fe Trail with her grandfather, Dr. Howell on a botanical expedition to Colorado Territory. She wants to prove to her grandfather and the others on the team that she was trustworthy and just as capable. What Linnea and Flynn never expected was to grow a bond as they travled together.
	Flynn was an awesome hero, he wanted to protect his family and do his best to bring his brother’s cattle to him. I loved his relationship with his siblings and how he tried to be the best big brother he could. He was strong but he had to learn to trust that he could not save everyone or stop bad things from happening. He was grappling with how to care for his family and let them grow. It was sweet to read about him falling for Linnea, she was fearless and helped him see the good in life again.
	Linnea was really cool. She was a botanist in a time where women could not do much. I adored her and I loved how much she loved God’s creation. It was also fun to read about her interaction with Ivy, Flynn’s younger sister. However Linnea had to learn to trust God’s plan and stop trying to worsen her way of things. It was so cool to see Linnea grow in her faith. She was a lovely character
	Linnea and Flynn were cute together. They balanced each other. They were able to talk to each other, which I always love. Bantering is one of my favorite things that can be written into books, and I really enjoyed Linnea and Flynn’s bantering. I liked the progress of their romance and also the balance with the rest of the story. I was really interested to read about them transporting cattle and to read about Linnea’s rescue. There was so much going on and I kept on wanting to read more.
	Some of my favorite things about Hedlund’s books are the great quotes. Here are two of my favorite quotes: “If we tuck tail and run everytime we’re scared, we’ll end up running in circles, never getting anywhere.” This quote reminded me that sometimes we have to push through the hard things and just try our best. The second quote was “Was it finally time to stop trying so hard in her own strength and to let God carry her where He would, working thighs out in His way?” I loved this quote because it reminded me that I need to trust in God’s plan and not my own.
	The Heart of a Cowboy was a great book! There were some twists and turns and I ended up staying up late reading. I am excited to read Dylan’s book, I know it is going to be good! I would totally recommend The Heart of a Cowboy! It is a clean christian romance but it is a little heavier on the romance so I would probably recommend it to at least 13 and up.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, I was not required to write a positive review.
This is the second book in Jody Hedlund’s new Colorado Cowboys series.  It will help if you read the first book, A Cowboy for Keeps, before this one, since the hero in this book, Flynn, is brother of Wyatt, the hero in the first book.  There’s a lot on family relationships and responsibilities in The Heart of A Cowboy, and how one person’s perceptions may not be the actual situation.

I liked the “setting” of the characters traveling to Colorado with a wagon train and a herd of shorthorn cattle.  There are plot twists to keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat, swoony kisses, obstacles to the relationship between Flynn and Linnea, villains intent on killing people or cattle, and irrepressible younger siblings to keep everyone on their toes.   I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and can’t wait for the next book!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.  #TheHeartOfACowboy #NetGalley
An absolutely phenomenal second story in Jody Hedlund’s Colorado Cowboys series!  The Heart of a Cowboy was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and it exceeded my expectations.  Hedlund just writes so incredibly well—I always connect with her characters, I always feel inspired, and I’m always enraptured by the stories she tells.

Each book Hedlund writes just impresses me further.  Flynn and Linnea are intensely relatable characters, as are the other members of the McQuaid family.  I learned something unique from each character, and I absolutely can’t wait for the rest of this series.  And we even get a glimpse into Brody’s story, which is going to be so hard to wait for, in this book.

If you like historical romance even a little bit, there is no author I recommend more than Jody Hedlund.  Grab your copy of The Heart of a Cowboy as soon as you’re able!  5/5 stars