Cover Image: Ancient Egypt

Ancient Egypt

*4.5 stars*

Beautiful photographs of a fascinating history…

I’ve been fascinated with Ancient Egypt since that long past social studies unit in grade five. The mystery, the beauty, the exoticness of the dynasties long gone, were like catnip. This book puts all that wonder into one set of pages, filled with the wonder that captured my attention so long ago…

Grouped together by the different periods of Ancient Egyptian history, the photographs are clear and awe-inspiring. Little snippets accompany the photos, brief but containing enough information to spark curiosity once again. The pyramids, the funereal chambers, the life-like statues, all laid out in stark simplicity.

The mystery remains but this collection gives wonderful insight to the grandeur of what was. Beautiful!
This is a beautifully photographed picture book of some of the best treasures of Egypt.
Good:
--Photography is excellent--unique perspectives, details are exceptionally clear, lighting realistic.  I was especially pleased to see photos of Luxor Temple at night--a sight not to be missed!
--A variety of subjects and locations, not all are widely known.
--Lots of 2-page spreads of sites that really illustrate their magnitude.
--This is one of the most realistic depictions of what I recall from my time in Egypt.  I've seen lots of other photo books, but none really has made me feel like I was there again like this book has.

Not so good:
--I'm not sure that photos of the light shows are appropriate for this book.  They're pretty commercialized and really aren't very reflective of ancient Egypt.
--It would be nice to include the location of the statues and other artifacts pictured.  Can they be seen in a museum?  Are they within a pyramid or tomb?
--Some of the captions for the photos are a bit misleading.  For instance, pages 42-43 are identified as "Saqqara Necropolis," but really illustrate the carvings on walls and what looks like a sarcophagus within one of the structures in the necropolis.  Someone who doesn't know the meaning of necropolis might get the wrong idea.
For a lover of history there is nothing better than a great history of Ancient Egypt that includes amazing photos. For an American it's a great look into a world that isn't easily accessible, and the rich history of Egypt's architecture, art, language, and burial customs are fascinating. Mavrikis' book will move Egypt up your to-travel-to list, for sure.
Ancient Egypt has always held a fascination for me, and I have been completely hooked since the 4th grade. It all started with a book on Cleopatra - and grew exponentially from there. Peter Mavrikis brings another love of Egyptian history back to me - the amazing images and scenes from temples, tombs, and more!

While some of the images in the e-copy I had were not great, I could still get the feel - and search online for the image. This was an amazing book - and perfect for those who love Egyptian history! This would make a great table book!!

Get this one - you will not regret it!
I received a complimentary ARC copy of Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization by Peter Mavrikis from NetGalley and Amber Books to read and give an honest review.

…Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization truly is a captivatingly beautiful journey through Egyptian history…

I have been fascinated with Ancient Egypt since I was a child and recently have started taking courses in Archaeology, in particular Egyptology. I was thrilled to be afforded the opportunity to read and review Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization and I loved this book.

Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization is a stunning collection of photographs of Ancient Egyptian relics, covering items from the Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, New Kingdom, Late Period, and Greco-Roman Period, revealing recent finds amongst its collection. Accompanying each photograph are brief captions by author Peter Mavrikis that discusses concisely the relevance of each photograph and its significance in history.

They say, “A picture is worth a thousand words….” and in this case Peter Mavrikis has shared volumes, Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization truly is a captivatingly beautiful journey through Egyptian history.

This would be perfect gift with anyone who is fascinated by Ancient Egypt and its amazing wonders, I would highly recommend it.
Thank you Netgalley and Amber Books Ltd, for access to this file.

The cover should let you know what you’re going to get with this book – gorgeous color photographs of hundreds of ancient Egyptian tombs, temples, wall paintings, and antiquities. Starting from the beginning of civilization there and continuing through the end of Roman occupation, the images are accompanied by brief explanations of what you’re seeing, it’s age, and who built it. I loved that many of these are lesser known things and not just the same “everybody knows that one” images. Those looking for more information about customs, rituals or mythology will need to look elsewhere but if you want to feast your eyes on the visual splendor (though sometimes in ruins) that was ancient Egypt, this is a great place to start. B
A wonderful collection of Ancient Egyptian imagery, featuring a colourful array of monuments, artwork and discoveries. Included is the Greco-Roman period, featring the Ptolemy's., which arent always included in books about Egypt but is a great addition. Egyptian history just never seems to get old, and this is a lovely addition to the rather vast collection of books on this fascinating part of the ancient world. Highly recommended.
Thanks to NetGalley, the author a and publisher for my ARC.
Great reading it had great information and a lot of great pictures to explain Ancient Egypt . Very afformative and a learning experience.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and this review is my own thoughts.
Another stunning book fromAmber books. I have long been fascinated by Ancient Egypt and own a few books on the subject but this is the best pictorial introduction I have come across. Stunning photography as always accompanied by just enough information to inform without being boring. A lovely book to dip into or have on display. And would make a very welcome gift for anyone interested in Ancient Egypt.
This book moves Egypt further up my must do travel list.  Ancient Egypt contains 160 beautiful color photos complete with captions for each.  The book covers thousands of years broken into sections:  Old Kingdom 2686-2181 BCE, Middle Kingdom (2125-1710 BCE), New Kingdom (1650-1550 BCE), Late Period (1069-664 BCE) and Greco-Roman (332 BCE-395 CE).  There are famous sites you know like the Great Pyramid of Giza and the Sphinx and artifacts like the Golden Mask of Tutumkhaman.  There are also more current discoveries included.  I think my only disappointment is that the locations for artifacts aren't identified.  I know that King Tut's mask is in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and the head of Taharqa Karnsk is in the Nubian Museum in Aswan.  While both treasures have photos, the location to see them isn't shared.  So while it isn't a travel guide it is a wonderful coffee table book or gift for someone with an interest in Ancient Egypt.  Thank you NetGalley and Amber Books for a temporary ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.
A book of photography in the main, set out in a historical way throughout the ages. If you are interested in ancient Egypt and the customs and rituals of the Egyptians then you will love this book. Some lovely photos, quite unique. Thank you #NetGalley for the book to review.
5 stars - I loved it!

This is a wonderful collection of photographs of Ancient Egypt from each period of their history. It featured well known monuments, some not so well known, and even a few new discoveries. I really loved all the different photographs within this book, especially since this book also covers monuments from the Greco-Roman period with the Ptolemy's. I feel I rarely get to see images from his period so it was wonderful seeing what was included in this book.

Overall, this was a wonderful collection of photographs from Ancient Egypt. I highly recommend this book if you love Egypt.
I found the photos in this book visually stunning. The descriptions and writing was interesting and didn't take away from the photos.
Ancient Egypt: The Cradle of Civilization is an interactive and well illustrated guide to Egypt during the Old Kingdom (ca. 2700-2100 BCE) through the Greco-Roman period (332BCE-395CE). Due out 14th Sept 2021 from Amber Books, it's 224 pages and will be available in hardcover format.

I found the photographs fascinating and well curated. Many of them are of "lesser known" antiquities and historical persons from a wide historical period. I have long been interested in Egyptology but there were quite a number with which I was previously unfamiliar.

The commentary text by author Peter Mavrikis is engaging and accessible and provides a loose timeline history to tie the beautiful photographs together into a cohesive whole. This would make a good choice for library, classroom library, homeschool, and similar uses. It's also a lovely book of photography in its own right and would be a nice gift for a student of ancient history.

Four stars.

Slightly confusingly the second book from this publisher by this name (the other looks like this – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53124303-ancient-egypt) albeit with a fully different subtitle, this does the usual thing – letting the pictures tell the thousand words, yet adding just the right amount of information in the captions.  So yes, while a few added words separate the books for online searches, and the contents only have the obvious, predictable overlaps, the two share much of the same high quality – but much of the same higgledy-piggledy structure.  Buy both.  Learn from both.  Enjoy both.
An amazing photo book, great pictures and interesting texts.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Egypt is truly one of the world's greatest architectural wonders. This gorgeous book depicts photographs of temples, funerary masks, hieroglyphics, pyramids, statues, and so much more.

The photographs are divided into five sections: Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, New Kingdom, Late Period, and Greco-Roman Period. Each section highlights a different period of ancient Egyptian rule.

The photographs themselves are captivating and beautifully shot. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many unique photos featured. The included photographs are not just your typical school textbook photos or even those highlighted on TV. I was also thrilled to see pictures from 2020 archaeological discoveries included amongst the pages. A short description of the photograph accompanies all images in this book. I found the captions to be both concise and interesting reads.

My favorite section of this book was the New Kingdom section (the period when Tutankhamun reigned). The photographs highlighted during this Period portray massive ruins, statues, and colorful tombs. The photos are so enticing they make you want to visit each site personally! It was fun to learn about the culture and beautiful antiques the ancient Egyptian’s created.

This book would make a wonderful gift for any lover of Egypt or photography.

Thank you, Amber Books, for my review copy. Additional review to be posted on Amazon on pub day.
Peter Mavrikis’ beautiful book explores, in stunning, captioned photos and intelligent text, the structures of the Old, Middle and New Kingdom eras of Egypt, and the Late and Greco-Roman periods.
Many of the pyramids etc will be familiar but there are several I hadn’t seen before. Smaller, less well known pyramids and monuments are included as well as the more famous ones such as the Great Pyramid at Giza and the Sphinx. This makes the book a valuable resource on Egyptology.
This is the kind of book you will want to come back to time and again. It is a concise and intelligent coffee-table history of Egypt, and the photography is sumptuous.