Cover Image: The Art of the Decoy

The Art of the Decoy

Art dealer Edie and her team are on the hunt for lost treasure. A cosy mystery, good for some hours of light entertainment.
The first book in a new cozy series, this was an engaging read, well written and sprinkled with humor. Edie is a great character – unique, a far cry from so many “goodie two-shoes” cozy mystery protagonists. She isn’t perfect, a fact made immediately clear from her arrest record and her family’s checkered past. The family operates an antique business in Vermont, and Edie has a strong background in art history and American folk art. She is smart, and cautious yet bold at the same time.

Things get interesting when Edie secures a particularly lucrative appraisal job of what might be a long-lost collection of bird decoys, that is, if they are authentic. The stakes are high and she’s not the only one with an interest in the collection. She soon becomes a prime suspect in the theft of these decoys and others and is determined to prove her innocence and discover more about the history of the decoys, and the perpetrators of an array of crimes related to their disappearance.

I look forward to reading additional books in this series in the future.
I throughly enjoyed this new mystery which I’m hoping is first in a new series. Set in Vermont, Edie and her uncle Tuck are trying to save their antique business, thriving until her mother committed forgery. They’re hoping for a big win after they appraise a one of a kind decoy collection worth millions, until it’s stolen and they’re blamed for the theft. Good characters, interesting mystery make this the start of a great series.
Edie Brown is pulled back to her families antique business when her mother is sent to jail. Offered the chance to appraise an incredible decoy collection, she fears she may join her mom when the collection is stolen. She has just 3 days to solve the case or be accused. Cannot wait for book 2.
Much to like in this in this debut in the Scandal Mountain Antiques Mystery series where Edie Brown returns to  Northern Vermont with the intention of rebuilding the family fine arts and antiques business. With her mother in prison for art forgery, Edie feels that she has a chance of getting the business back on track. She cannot foresee the bizarre events that will follow. With a well drawn protagonist, a busy and interesting plotline populated with a colourful cast of characters and a delightful backdrop this is an enjoyable and compelling mystery and a very promising start to a new series.
Well written story and interesting characters that immediately immerses the reader in the story.  It will be gifted several times next year.
Protagonist Edie Brown returns home to Vermont to help run the struggling family business, Scandal Mountain Fine Arts & Antiques, while her mother, Vicki, serves prison time for art forgery. Along with her Uncle Tuck and a new intern, Kala Acosta; Edie secures the appraisal job of a lifetime with the Bouchard Family who live near the Canadian border. Could a decades-long missing carver’s collection of bird decoys be in Claude Bouchard’s attic? This exciting and intriguing cozy mystery explores the history of folk art carving, fraud, betrayal, and organized crime. The value of a collection such as this one is astronomical!

The author’s descriptions of the Vermont scenery is lovely, as well as the visuals she describes of the carved and painted bird decoys. Humor is scattered throughout the story. There are numerous villains to dislike; attempted murder; and a murder relating to the criminals trying to obtain the multi-million dollar collection. Many of the characters appear to be guilty, and as the story progresses, the author reveals who the flunky’s are, and who the ruthless masterminds are. There are many surprises in this savvy plot for readers to anticipate. I really enjoyed the secret ending. I look forward to the next story in this new series.

I honestly reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books. Thank you.
A fantastic start to a new cosy series! I read this in a day - the pace is superb, the characters well-drawn and the mystery complex and tricky to solve. The information about antiques was well placed and didn't distract from the story and the purpose of it, which can sometimes happen in a cosy when an author gets a bit distracted with information dumps of one kind or another.

I loved this, and am already really looking forward to the second book. I'm curious to see what Edie gets herself into next.

Highly recommended.
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the main character Edie and loved her sidekicks Tuck and Kayla. The story had enough red herrings to keep me guessing till the end.

The only thing I did not like was the bad relationship Edie has with her mother but hopefully that will be explored and resolved in a sequel.

Great start to new series.

This is an honest review of ARC I received from NetGalley.
Edie returns home to operate her family’s antique business after her mother goes to prison for art forgery.  When a huge score involving duck decoys comes her way and then goes missing, she is accused of stealing the decoys herself.  This is The Art of the Decoy (Scandal Mountain Antiques #1) by Trish Esden.

I liked the protagonist, Edie, and her gang, Tuck and Kala.  The rest of the characters were interesting and easy to like or dislike depending on who it was.  The plot was very interesting.  I enjoyed learning about antiques and how that type of business is ran.  The author kept the reader guessing as to who the guilty party was until the very ending.  There were plenty to choose from, and just when you thought you had it figured out, another piece of the puzzle fell into place.  The ending exploded and the last couple of pages of the book was quite satisfying, not only for Edie, but for the readers too.  I would definitely read more of the series.
A young art appraiser has the opportunity of a life time thanks to an unplanned trip home.

Edi comes from a family of appraisers, all with reputations good and bad..

Edit, like her frandparents loves art for art's sake - art is to be appreciated and cared for. If she can make a living, protect the treasures along the way, well, that is a bonus.

Edie reluctantly returns home for a short visit to work an appraisal fair Ala Antique Road Show.  A nervous, distracted woman brings a piece of folk art, a wooden decoy, to Edie. It's in terrible condition but reminds Edie of bird decoys produced by a well-known known Canadian artesian.

One random event leads to another - a job opportunity, a treasure trove of art work,, a robbery, murder, blackmail, a fractured marriage and organized crime.   Can Edie follow the clues, exonerate herself of theft and find the art without more death and destruction?
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Crooked Lane Books and #NetGalley for my honest opinion.

A lovely cozy mystery with likable characters. This is the first in a promising new series.
Enjoyed this one, learnt a lot about folk art and duck stamps. This was a real page turner and I look forward to continuing the series.
teamwork, theft, threats, thriller, family-business, family-dynamics, female-sleuth, framed, fraud, friendship, art-theft, organized-crime, law-enforcement, historical-research, history-and-culture, Vermont*****

The publisher's blurb is a good hook, so no need to go over that territory. But there is a lot to learn here about the antiques business, a particular form of art fraud and theft, and who knew there was so much about early decoys as an art form? It is a good whodunit (complete with chase scenes and suspense) and I always want to learn something new! Excellent!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
This book was sent to me by Netgalley on  Kindle for review.  The mother is in prison...the Daughter takes over the business.  Mystery and mayhem.  The story moves somewhat slowly but is a fun quick read.  I enjoyed this.
I loved the debut of this series. It was as if I had known the characters right off the bat. Edie Brown is a great MC as she navigates through this mystery. Great start to a wonderful cast of characters.
#TheArtoftheDecoy #NetGalley
As a young woman Edie Brown made a mistake by following her mothers bad advice and ended up on probation, but  now she is back after finishing school to help her dear Uncle Tuck. Scandal Mountain Antiques has suffered since her mom plea bargained her way into a reduced jail sentence for art forgery. Edie agrees to come home and meets the new store assistant Kala at an appraisal event. They are approached by a woman, Nina ,who has brought a duck decoy that is part of her father-in-law Claude's collection. Edie is intrigued and she and her uncle ask to appraise the entire decoy collection after seeing the other carvings. Meanwhile, there has been a robbery at the Canadian Museum of History and two employees are killed. On the Vermont side of the border the FBI are investigating antique crimes as well, possibly including her former probation officer and briefly her lover. The local characters are intriguing and I would give this another star if not for Edie's actions near the end of the book.  Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Edie Brown just completed an internship at Christie’s after completing her Masters.  She’s left the Big Apple and is off to find some treasures she can turn into cash and get started on her own career. Awakened by a call from her uncle asking her to come home and help the family business while her Mother is in prison for fraud, Edie changes course and heads home to Vermont.

When a woman engages Edie to look at a hand carved decoy, Edie begins to think this might just be what the business needs to recover and move forward. Then when the decoy collection disappears, it appears someone has set Edie and the family up as scapegoats for the heist.  With the business and her life at stake, Edie vows to find the collection and clear her name.  Now she just has to do it before the mastermind decides to kill her and get away with the goods.

This is the first book in a new cozy series and I am already hooked!  The New England setting is perfect when it comes to antiques and mystery.  It’s one of my favorite settings for cozies. I’m really looking forward to seeing what the future has in tore for Edie and the gang in future entries.
I received an advance copy of, The Art of the Decoy, by Trish Esden.  I found this book to be boring, The characters and the setting were pretty dull.
I found myself immediately intrigued by the cover and description of this book.
Edie is a good character, who has returned to her home to help her uncle with the family business.
Edie loves antiques and is excited to find what could be a rare hand carved decoy.
When hired to do the appraisal, Edie is horrified to find the collection missing and that she is considered a top suspect,  especially with her family's name in the mud.
Will Edie be able to find the truth or will she, like her mother, have a tarnished reputation.
Join Edie,  Uncle Tuck, and Kala on this roller coaster ride to truth.

#TheArtoftheDecoy #NetGalley