Cover Image: The Woman Who Split the Atom

The Woman Who Split the Atom

With each chapter beginning with a mini-comic, it doesn't help or hurt the story in any way but does pull in some additional readers who might be drawn to the mix though there wasn't a particular choice in what was showcased that made it stand out any different than the narrative about a woman, Lise Meitner who was a Jewish woman physicist. And during the wars in Europe and her own tenacity, she persevered even without the acclaim, honors, and recognition she should have been awarded for her partnerships, particularly with her lab partner Hahn, who got all of the credit.

Sadly, it's another biography of a woman lost to history who now gets her time to shine with a whole book dedicated to her overcoming adversity and being willing to sit back because she loved science so much. And had a sister who was also in medicine (the father said he shouldn't have two women in medicine and that Lise should pursue her interest in physics rather than trying to do medicine though she got her shot at it when the war broke out and we went to work as a nurse in the hospitals). It does well to incorporate the wonderings of how those who were discovering these things dealt with and thought about how it was used in warfare and beyond.

It includes biographies of key players in the back as well as the source notes.
I enjoy the premise of the focus and the combination of graphic novel format with text format. However, I thought the combination of graphic and text should have been better balanced. I also found that the narrative sections did not hold my attention as much as I would expect. I felt like the book didn't quite live up to its potential.