Cover Image: The Damned

The Damned

this sequel was GREAT, the different POVs at the start were so cool, the world expansion was immaculate no complaints in this department, the characters are still hot and lovable, this book had way more paranormal elements which I was definitely thankful for!! The little found family for the supernatural creatures - it was very entertaining haha.

Overall this book was pretty good
I read the sneak peek and it was pretty good. I am quite excited about when this comes out. I wasn't fully hooked but I have some high expectations. The cover was pretty attractive and so was the title. They both draw you in.
I got the sneak peek of this and it was alright. I had a had time really going through The Beautiful so I expected the same for The Damned.
I seriously cannot put into words how much I love this series ! It was even better than the last and that’s saying something since I am absolutely absessed with it. Renée is a very talented author and I hope she never stops writing these books.
I absolutely have fallen in love with this series by Renee Ahdieh! I can be extremely picky about books set in New Orleans and Ahdieh has exceeded any expectations I have had.  The book is quick paced making it a interesting and engaging read! It is refreshing to see the use of multiple viewpoints throughout the book written so well!

This series has become my go to recommendation for my library patrons wanting a darker fantasy novel!
This book was so much better than the first (which was good) this is such a gripping tale, you will be hooked, I read this in 1 day couldn't put it down, story follows on perfect from the first which I love because when book 2 starts later on its annoying and frustrating because you feel like you've missed bits, if you loved book 1 you will love this I can promise you that.
OF COURSE I will be purchasing this book for my YA Collection!   The sneak peek is just a little teaser that will have you wanting to reread #1 for a refresher.
I did not much care for the The Beautiful, because I was promised vampires and they only truly appeared at the end of the novel. So I was very much intrigued by The Damned now that we know for certain we get vampires (and other creatures). But I had forgotten that I did not like Ahdieh's writing style in these books, this sample was a good reminder of that. So unfortunately I won't be reading the entire book, but I thank the publisher for providing this sample.
I got to read a sneak peak of this and I was heavily invested with what was going on
 I have never read the series so I am definitely going to do that now. I am obsessed with vampires in books. They always are so different from one to another. I really enjoyed the French parts as I took a French in high school.
Talking about this book? Use #SNEAKPEEKTheDamned #NetGalley.
I need moreeeeee!!!! Ok this one was amazing.. I obviously have an unhealthy obsession with vampires and I admit it. You cannot just write something so good and leave me hanging. I need moreeeee
I read The Beautiful soon after it came out and I thought that it was only okay. To me it seemed like an average YA vampire novel, (which I've missed), but I wasn't in a hurry to read The Damned. However, I just read the Sneak Peek for this novel, and surprisingly really enjoyed it. Odette was my favorite character in the first one and I still love her and enjoy her POV. Bastien's POV was also interesting after the events at the end of the first novel. My favorite part is the setting being New Orleans - which is one of my favorite places to visit - and getting to hear and learn more about it.

I'm definitely intrigued now and will be adding this one to my TBR. Perfect for spooky season!
I started this book immediately after finishing The Beautiful, which I really enjoyed. I could not wait to see what happened next with Bastien and Celine. I didn’t realize how much we needed a new ya vampire (and other underworld-type creatures) series until this one. This book continues the dark, mysterious atmosphere from the first book but without the murder mystery element.

I loved all the character development this book gave us. Having different perspectives for chapters gave it a more robust feel that the first book I’m my opinion. It was nice to see glimpses inside the minds of so many of the supporting characters and get to know many of them a bit better.

Most of the beginning of the book understandably centers around Bastien and the limit of this did give it a relatively slow start. I understand the necessity of it in the grand scheme of the story but it did make it a little difficult to get back into the swing of things especially after the way the first book ended.

All in all, I thought this book was just as good as the first and cannot wait to continue with the series when the third book is available.
The Damned takes place right after the events of The Beautiful. Celine is recovering from her injuries and loss of memory and Sebastien is now cursed. A war between the Fallen and the Brotherhood is imminent. As Bastien and Celine come together they soon learn that their love for one another could be what is tearing them apart. Choices must be made and sacrifices must be had. I am so glad that Renee is continuing the series through a different characters perspective, because I love the world she has built and want to see more of these characters.
this book was so precious! i highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a good escape story! it was just so delightful to read and i enjoyed every single second! thank you again, netgalley!!!
Initial Thoughts

I was SO excited to read this book. I really enjoyed The Beautiful and when Penguin Teen offered me the chance to review this one early, I was like YES, PLEASE!

Some Things I Liked

Different POV. I just loved that Bastien was the first person POV in this book and I really loved how that matched the title. Celine was “the beautiful” and the first person POV in the first book, and Bastien is now “damned” so he’s the main POV in this book. I also liked that we had chapters that followed other characters throughout the story.
BAHHH the love story. Ok, BAHHH is not exactly an articulate way to describe something. But, it’s me basically word vomiting all over this post because I loved it so much. Celine and Bastien are just so perfect and so stubborn and they made for such a great romance read.
Poor Michael. Yes, I list this in things I liked. Michael is ok but, Bastien > Michael all day every day. I hope Michael finds a nice lady in the next book, not Celine. Celine is spoken for. But, I do feel bad for him.
ODETTE – yes, all caps for Odette and how much I loved her as a character. She deserves a series all to herself. She’s so tragic and self-loathing and I love her for it. Where’s her person? Renée Ahdieh, please give Odette a love story!

Series Value

If there is not another book in this series, I do not know what I will do. The ending was so ridiculously open-ended, there can’t not be more. However, I really like the poetry of the names as just “The Beautiful” and “The Damned” – what would Renée Ahdieh even call the next book?

Final Thoughts

I liked The Beautiful but I loved The Damned. The twists, the POVs, Bastien as the primary narrator. The pages literally oozed with drama and I can’t wait for more. Although more is unconfirmed, I will continue to wish for more!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This was a fabulous introduction to this the second book in this atmospheric series about Vampires surviving in New Orleans. Following on directly from the first book The Beautiful we find Sebastian a reluctant and newly turned Vampire . What I particularly enjoyed was the way the author got into the heads of her characters and yes these Vampires might appear beautiful and charming but it was quickly apparent that they are truly dangerous and that humans are simply prey.
This voluntary take is of a sneak peek and not the full length book . My thoughts and comments are honest and I believe fair
Simply amazing!! I can't wait to read the full story. I only heard great things about it so far. Thank you for the sneak peek!
I really enjoyed The Beautiful and I was very excited to read this sneak peek of The Damned! This excerpt immediately grabbed my interest with Bastien’s plight, learning more about Odette, and the sense of dark danger throughout. Renée Ahdieh's books are always filled with beautiful prose and fascinating characters. I can't wait to see how the story continues! The Damned is out now! Thank you to Renée Ahdieh, Penguin Young Readers Group, and Netgalley for a free excerpt of this book in exchange for honest feedback.
I fell in love with the first book.  Vampires are a timeless classic, and Ahdieh' writing style is truly poetic.  I can't wait to read the rest of this book!
I read The Beautiful last year and as soon as I saw that the sequel was coming, I knew I had to have it. Ahdieh's writing style draws you in right from the start and is absolutely stunning. I will be picking up The Damned as soon as I can! (And as soon as I finish some of my already too long tbr pile). I need more Bastian and Odette in my life

*Thank you to NetGalley for sending the first few chapters of this book for me to review!*