Cover Image: The Homecoming

The Homecoming

This book was great! I especially loved it because it was part of history that I didn’t know much about and that you don’t see every day in books.
I really enjoyed this book. It was hard to put down as it drew me in immediately and before I knew it I was in the middle of the book!
We have all heard stories about James Cook but this books takes on the journey of being the wife of the explorer. Eighteenth century living and having to bring up children and by a society wife without the support of your husband is no easy feat in any era.

It is an interesting read, at times it is even hard to read and a bit long but it gives you insight into the other side of the story that you would never hear about. And although it is a fiction novel it still has the emotion and hardship of real life and coping without the support you need from a husband.

A good book, an interesting read and strong characters.
This is about a woman who is married to a Sea Captain and her struggle of being operated for long periods of time from him and how her life as a stay at home mother in the 1800's means very little compared to his dangerous voyages all over the planet. She struggles with her self and her self worth to him and to their children. its exhausting but also is a perspective that one does not see or get to read or hear about often. This is why it makes it compelling form that angle, but its also very slow going and makes one think about how they would handle being alone from there spouses for that long of a period of time. '
There is no sequence in which I could arrange words to adequately convey how heart-wrenching this story was. This was a literal read it and weep. It's raw and heavy but in the best way. The story is based on the life and discoveries of renowned British Seafarer and Explorer James Cook but the twist is it's written from his wife Elizabeth's perspective. The narrative is in a deep point of view where Elizabeth's inner thoughts are seamlessly woven into the story and it attaches you to her character. Due to his duties as a crown endorsed explorer, James was unable to fulfil his duties as a husband and a father. His expeditions lasted for years at a time and towards the end of each Elizabeth would go through the process of reverting the house and herself to a state that would best suit James' needs. This process she called The Homecoming. n addition to being alone in her marriage, Elizabeth had to go through the death of all six of her children without her husband present - two died at sea, three as infants, one of scarlet fever and the only girl ran over by coach. The death of her children, especially Ellie, haunted Elizabeth in life as she thought it was her carelessness that caused their death. Her pain even led to complete dissociation from her last child Benny. She also lost her husband, mother, her cousin Issac and her lifelong friend Hugh Palliser. Life was just constantly throwing stones at her. One thing I always love in a story is a strong female character and Elizabeth's emotional and mental strength is honestly unmatched. That intimate view of watching her navigate through her pain to be able to nurture other children, support other widowers and always find her way back to a sense of normalcy in her life highlights the strength of a woman.