Cover Image: All That We Have Lost

All That We Have Lost

Imogen, a widow, is baffled by the disdain for Laurent the architect who is helping her with the renovation of a chateau she's just bought.  Turns out there's a back story that plays out beautifully, if tragically in this dual time line novel set in 2019 and WWII.  Simone, a flutist, finds herself pressed into service to play for Nazis and then infatuated with Max who has been kind to her and her younger brother.  She's seen as a collaborator and shunned but there's a secret most of the village doesn't know.  This is nicely written and a bit different.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  A good read.
A heartbreaking dual timeline historical novel set in 1944 and the present day.
Imogen overhears a conversation between her colleagues where they call her an android and realises she has to change her life. Her husband tragically died suddenly and due to the shock she lost the baby she was carrying. Due to this she does nothing with her life apart from visit family. Finding some old holiday photos she remembers the dream they had of living in Brittany. She decides to uproot herself and live their dream. She finds an old chateau that needs restoration, Laurent, an architect, offers to help but for some reason the villagers are dead set against helping her and have strong views against Laurent too.
In 1944 Simone and her family live and work in the grocery store, the village is under German occupation and life isn't easy for anyone. Against her will Simone falls for a German Officer but this causes the villagers to accuse her of being a Nazi collaborator. Is there any way for the truth to be known
The story is brought together so well and gives insight into the underground activities of the sacrifices and the resistance of the people of Brittany during this time
Many thanks to Netgalley and Aria books for the opportunity to read this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review
A good mix of historical fiction and women's fiction, I appreciated the style of writing and the character development.
The historical part was well developed but I preferred the contemporary and Imogen's story.
Good character and plot development.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
4.5/5⭐️

This wonderful story is told from dual timelines between WW2 (1944) and 2019 and centers around two strong heroines who strive to move forward toward independence and new lives following personal losses (freedom/love).

Their physical focal point is a French chateau that has seen cruelty and evil but also love and heartbreak. It is a place despised by the locals (in both eras) but ultimately redeems itself through a hidden secret within its walls. The secret, unintentionally left by Simone (WW2), is unearthed by modern-day Imogene.

Obviously this is heartbreaking historical fiction, but it is bolstered by hope through poignant love and unwavering devotion.

I loved this one with my only complaint being a little bit of naïveté on the part of the modern heroine. Well written but a warning to keep the hankies handy. This is the author’s second book, and I’d definitely be interested in reading her first.

With much thanks to #NetGalley and #Aria for providing me the free early arc. The opinions are strictly my own.
This book was even better than I thought it would be. Its a dual timeline.  Over the war years we have Simone who struggles with her inner self over feeling for Max who is in the German army .   In  the present day we have Imogen who has recently lost her young husband and decides to uproot and go to France where she comes into contact with Laurent who may have secrets he wishes to keep hidden. The twists at the end are not all expected. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
This was a really interesting and very enjoyable story. I was hooked as soon as I started the first page. Dual time-line it flits from present day back to 1944 in German occupied France. It’s based around a village and the people and their struggles with food shortages and living with the Germans. I won’t give anymore away except this one is definitely worth reading. It’s not heavy at all just a lovely story. It’s worth more than five stars. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
The year is 2019; Imogen Wren is a widow before she's reached her 30th birthday and after years of grieving, she is ready to move on with her life. Following the dream she laid out with her late husband, she moves to France and purchases a rundown chateau. All at once, her quiet world is inundated with whispers from the past. The year is 1944: Simone Varon is a young girl doing her best to avoid the Nazi soldiers who have taken over her village. Hated by the populace, the soldiers largely show themselves to be brutish bullies but one stands out and Simone finds herself falling for the tender man beneath the uniform. But when the resistance comes calling, Simone finds herself struggling to chose between duty and love. What follows  is a series of twists and turns told in alternating voices by both women - one past, the other present as they fight for the truth and resolution. With a seamless transition between both time periods, All That We Have Lost, is a beautifully written book.
All That We Have Lost will truly sweep you away. This dual time line centred around a chateau that brings the past and present together perfectly. I could really imagine the characters. A standout novel and Suzanne Fortin's best yet!
Aria & Aries|Aria, NetGalley and Author for this eARC!

All That We Have Lost by Suzanne Fortin was a beautiful, brilliant story!
This story goes from 2019 Imogen finding an abandoned chateau and she starts to fix it up... to 1944 Simone living in Germany with her sick brother.
My heart went out to these characters. The shit they went through is truly heartbreaking in every way possible.
I feel like some readers will connect more with Imogen due to her miscarriages, I know I did!
This dual timeline historical fiction story will grab readers by the heart.
A totally heartbreaking and impossibly powerful story about love, tragedy, and the power of humanity.
Rch in detail, beautifully written and hugely absorbing for those who enjoy good historical fiction.

Thank you again for this great read!
When Imogen decides to start living again after the sudden death of her husband, her adventures take her to Brittany, France and signing on the dotted line for a mysterious chateau in a small village. It became quite apparent from the get go that the history of the house dated back to WWII. It had been commandeered by the Germans, at some point one of the wings suffered a fire. But that’s all the information she could get until Laurent comes along and fills in a few gaps linking his grandmother to the chateau.

A dual timeline story that takes place in 1944 and 2019, offers readers a mystery to be solved. It makes you wonder if you would risk everything to help others during a time of need. Would you take the heat for someone else to ease their suffering. I loved this page turner. While it didn’t provide me with a history lesson per se, I found it extremely enjoyable and I highly recommend it for a weekend or beach read!

Thank you NetGalley, Aria and Aries and Suzanne Fortin for early access to this gem of a story
This was another really good book told with dual timelines. Both stories past and present were equally interesting.
I had a hard time putting this book down. I loved it!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy
Thank you to Net Galley and Aria & Aries for the chance to read and review this book. The opinions expressed are my own.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book-I read it in two settings! This is a fantastic dual timeline story!
In 2019 Imogene Wren moves to France and buys an abandoned chateau that needs a lot of work. As time goes on, she discovers her chateau holds some secrets. In 1944 Simone Varon is living through the war and the German occupation of her city. She becomes friends with a German soldier which leads to a terrible tragedy. The author tells both of these stories, but does a great job of connecting both stories. There's a little romance, mystery and history in this story! I loved it!
Made me wish for more.  Looking for more by this author. Not my typical genre, but so glad I gave it a try. You will be too. Thank you netgalley for the advanced copy.
This is a brilliant read for those that enjoy dual time books. Set in 1944 and 2019 so it is a WW2 and modern day. Very well written and one to be read. It seems strange but the war years are still of interest to most people so along with todays story to go with it this makes for a great read.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this e ARC
I was instantly drawn into this five-star character-driven historical fiction tale. The author writes to establish an emotional bond with both protagonists from each dual timeline. As a result, I was invested in what happens to them. Furthermore, her vivid descriptions and impeccable sense of place allowed me to become part of the story. I’d previously read “The Forgotten Life of Arthur Pettinger” and loved the author’s writing style. If her success with that book is any indication, this one will meet and/or exceed that success. You’ll be swept away in this evocative and emotional page-turner featuring strong female protagonists who are forced to make difficult decisions.

Both set in France, Imogen Wren’s 2019 adventure into fixing up an abandoned 16th-century war-ravaged chateau dovetails perfectly with Simone Varon’s 1944 experience living with a sick sibling during the occupation.

Readers become emotionally attached to Imogen Wren when they discover her heartache; miscarriage and her husband’s (James) sudden death. When colleagues label her as The Android and claim she is devoid of any ability to socialize outside the work setting, it’s just the push Imogen needs to start over. She smiles when she remembers talking with James about buying a place in Brittany, moving there permanently and running a B&B or a vineyard. So when she finds two postcards with a message on the back written in James’ handwriting, she knows it’s a sign.

“Life is on the other side of fear.”

“Follow your dreams; they know the way.”

Readers follow Imogen as she makes the courageous move to France and takes a chance on living and loving. Life isn’t easy and she discovers she needs to overcome another hurdle before realizing her dream and setting to rest the ghosts of the past.

Equally strong is the 1944 timeline with 18-year-old Simone falling in love with a German soldier. Fortin makes it possible to see life from this naive teenager’s point of view. Readers experience the range of emotions as Simone struggles between knowing what her mind tells her she should do and what her heart tells her to do. At the center of each decision is her love for her brother and her neighbours. Fortin has capably captured the wartime experience in occupied France. Simone’s flute is the key to successfully carrying out Resistance activities.

“Papa always told us that to be brave doesn't mean you have no fear. It just means you can move forwards in spite of that fear.”

Although I didn’t add to my wartime knowledge, the ability to connect to the characters on an emotional level far surpassed my need to learn from this historical fiction tale. I’d eagerly recommend this book to all historical fiction lovers because I was completely consumed by the characters’ journey.

Congratulations to the graphic designer for an AMAZING cover design. It was what initially drew me to this book.

Publishes October 21, 2021

I was gifted this advance copy by Suzanne Fortin, Aria & Aries, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
4.5 Stars

"Papa always told us that to be brave doesn't mean you have no fear. It just means you can move forwards in spite of that fear."

This is a novel told from two perspectives. In 2019, Imogen is making a fresh start by buying a rundown French chateau after the loss of her husband and unborn baby within months of each other. In 1944, Simone is living under German rule, trying to make the right choices to protect her family while also following her heart. The devastating consequences of Simone's choices will continue to affect her family and the town through the decades, right up until Imogen moves to town and starts to restore the chateau.

I read and thoroughly enjoyed Suzanne Fortin's last novel, and when I was offered the opportunity to receive an ARC for this novel, I jumped at the chance! While I don't think this hit me quite as hard as Arthur Pettinger, I also really enjoyed this one. I loved the description of the town and the atmosphere of the countryside, and Simone's character was one I really resonated with.

Big thanks to Netgalley and Aries and Aria Publishing for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
All That We Have Lost is a story that takes place in Brittany, with a dual timeline of WWII and present day.  A woman  decides she needs a new start after the loss of her husband and baby. Brittany is a place that both her and her husband fell in love with so she buys a chateau to fix up.  Immediately she senses a problem as the village is tight lipped about the chateau and don’t want anything to do with it until one man offers his services. What follows is a poignant story of lost love, family bonds, war and redemption. This is a beautifully written book dealing with the terror and pain of war along with starting over and finding what is right for you.  Wonderful characters. I thank Aria books for the invitation to read this via NetGalley.
“All That We Have Lost” is a moving historical fiction novel set in the Brittany region of France on two timelines – the past, in 1944 during German occupation, and the present, in 2019.  The author uses this dual timeline plot device very effectively with her evocative depiction of a Nazi-occupied small town and what the villagers, particularly a young woman name Simone Varon, must do in order to survive the war.  Almost equally compelling is the “present” story of Imogen Wren, a young widow who buys a dilapidated chateau in Brittany, in that same small town where Simone spent most of her life.

At first it isn’t obvious how the two subplots will come together, but the story unfolds as Imogen starts renovating the chateau and getting to know Simone’s grandson, Laurent.  Interspersed is Simone’s story, as she becomes connected to both the resistance and to a handsome German soldier who was stationed at the chateau.  Simone and Imogen are both well-drawn strong female characters who the reader will enjoy and root for.  Both storylines feature light romance as a source of both heartbreak and hope in the women’s tragic lives.  The way the storylines come together and past wrongs are righted is satisfying.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Aria & Aries for providing me an advance copy of this book.
The French Chateau

Exciting, Tragic, Heartbreaking, and Romantic are some words I would use to describe this book. Set in dual time periods the story transcend the ages.

The first story is of Simone, a young girl that plays a flute, and a German officer named Max. Simone is forced to play her flute for the German's in a chateau that they have confiscated as their headquarters. It will take you deep into the German occupation, the resistance and how the people were treated by the German officer's. How the Romance between Simone and Max begins and how it ends. This takes place in a small French town in 1944 during the German occupation of France.

The second story is of a young widow named Imogene and an architect named Laurent. , second story takes place in 2019. Imogene buys a chateau in a small town of France to get on with life after the death of her young husband. She meets Laurent there as he has agreed to help her restore the chateau. She soon learns that the town does not view Laurent and his family in a good light and it has to do with some dark secret from WWII and the German occupation and his grandmother. Imogene must learn the secret and why the town holds an ancient grudge against Laurent. She soon learns that a flute hidden somewhere in the chateau may hold the answers, but does she really want to know?

How the characters and the chateau fit into both stories will become evident as you read the stories. The book is a tearjerker and tragic but also romantic and uplifting in spots. It is written beautifully with vivid descriptions of the chateau and the gardens and of the small French town both past and present. It holds a bit of history and a bit of the beauty of the French countryside. It was an interesting book to read and I would recommend it.

Thanks to Suzanne Fortin, Aria and Aries publishers and NetGalley for allowing me to read a complimentary copy for my honest review.
I loved this book from the beautiful cover to the very last page. All That We Have Lost  is a touching dual timeline historical fiction. The chapters alternate  between France 1944 and the present in 2019.   The author weaves Simone's  story from 1944  and Imogene's in the present together flawlessly. This is a must read for historical fiction fans. I look forward to reading more from this author. Thanks to author Suzanne Fortin, publisher Aria & Aries, and  NetGalley for  providing a copy of this book for an honest review.