Cover Image: An Alleged Rogue

An Alleged Rogue

An Alleged Rogue was simply delightful. I absolutely loved the blend of sweet romance, the slight intrigue from the hero's past, and the thread of mystery that was personified in the clever antagonist. Truly, this book had me hooked from the blurb and I'm satisfied to say it delivered on all my expectations. The chemistry and attraction between Miss Phoebe Hadford and Lord Adam Dunsbourne were beautiful and sweet and had me eagerly awaiting their next encounter. I loved how there's more to each of them (she's not the frivolous socialite he thought her to be, and he's not the gambler rogue everyone thinks him to be), and watching them slowly realize that of the other and get to know each other better had me all the more invested in them. I also loved getting to know Emily, Adam's sister, and how caring and protective he was of her. Her friendship with Phoebe was everything they both needed, and it was fun getting to see her grow throughout the book.

The pace was perfect for this story, knowing when to reveal small tidbits, new character traits, or new information that added to the plot since this novel is told from three POVs: Adam, Phoebe's, and the antagonist's, a Mr. Freddie Payne. I honestly can't recall the last time a villain left me both impressed by his skill and furious at his actions, yet it only means that this story completely transported me within its pages. Of course, a large part of it goes to the right balance of description, which never failed to paint the setting for every scene, be it a lavishly decorated drawing room, a men's club in London, or a sunny day at the Baron's apple orchard. This last one was a major surprise to me, along with learning about the whole process of making cider, but I loved the big part it all played in the story, as well as the future and hopes it represented.

Overall, a great addition to the series, though it definitely reads as a standalone too. This is one of the rare reads that completely played like a movie in my mind, and I'd recommend it to fans of the author's work, and/or the sweet romance genre, looking for a read knitted with a large thread of mystery for good measure, and a cast of characters one can't help but fall for (for the most part). ~ 5 stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley and the author/publisher for granting an ARC of this book. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and given voluntarily.
I'm just not a huge fan of mysteries, but I have found a love for historical romance. And I always feel like there's a surprising lack of the particular genre releasing that I seem to get hooked on at any one time. So I found myself branching out from historical romance to historical romance/mystery.

Whether I end up enjoying these books as much as I would like or not largely depends on whether the mystery takes over the story and is the focus or if the relationship is. I found that An Alleged Rogue was a good mix of both. I almost didn't make it past the very beginning since the villain narrates, and this tends to be a pet peeve of mine. But his narrations were usually short and the author moved on to the main characters very quickly each time. So I was able to get back into the flow without feeling too jarred.

Another pet peeve of mine is dialect. I do not like to get pulled out of the story over trying to read in a specific dialect. In this case, I suppose I am familiar enough with the dialect used that I didn't slow down because of its use. However, as a general rule, I prefer to avoid these.

Adam was easy to root for. He is working as hard as possible to save his family from financial ruin. He isn't afraid of doing manual labor. And he loves his sister quite fiercely. After being thrust into his responsibilities when his father died, he has neglected Emily's social needs basically because he was in survival mode. Emily didn't seem to mind. But now she is of the age where she needs to embark upon society if she is ever going to have a London season. So he sets about that course of action and kind of stumbles his way through.

Phoebe is all goodness. She cannot but help to assist Emily in her social needs. She befriends her as well as helps guide her through her needs for society such as learning a new dance and having some newer, more modern dresses designed for her. Phoebe's friendship with Emily opens her eyes to the unfair gossip about Adam and she begins to learn of his true character.

Of course, there is the "mystery" or I guess maybe it's not even that. Maybe it's suspense. I'm not sure. But I was on pins and needles during the height of this aspect of the story. I never doubted that the book would have a happy ending, but my goodness, this author had me feeling for Adam so much I could have cried. (I didn't.)

Even though I prefer to stick to stories that don't have this aspect of mystery/suspense to them, I find that An Alleged Rogue was a good mix for me. The relationship-building between Adam and Phoebe is still what drove the rest of the story for me. An Alleged Rogue gets 4 Stars. Have you read An Alleged Rogue? What did you think? Let me know!
I seriously have so much love for this book, this series and this author.  This is definitely one of my favorite books this year.  I don't think you need to read the other books in this series to love this one but as I said, the whole series is so good.  Why wouldn't you?!  :)  I think this book might be my favorite of the series though.

Why?

Because I really cared about the characters.  I grew to know them and I loved them.  I wanted all things good to happen for them- especially Adam.  I wanted good things for him SO badly.  He worked and worked and worked, determined to make something of the nothing left to him.

Because the last third of the book had me speed reading and holding my breath.  Literally.  I had to purposely slow myself down and breathe.  It was fantastic.

I was invested in this story and the characters.  Clearly.  It was so, so good.  😍  That's how you know it's a favorite.

Content: mild peril, mild violence.  Sweet kissing.

- I received a complimentary copy of this book.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Everyone believes that Lord Adam Dunsbourne is a rogue who has gambled away his family fortune and prevents his sister, Emily, from leaving their home at Dunsbourne Manor. Yet when Phoebe Hadford meets Adam and his sister and begins to spend time with them, she realises that nothing could be further from the truth.
Adam is equally captivated by Phoebe’s kindness to his sister and her ability to help all those around her. Yet as they begin to form a friendship and the beginnings of a romance, a dangerous enemy from Adam’s past reappears and threatens them both.
I am thrilled to have a new author to follow. Sian Bessey has captured the ruthless nature of society, in ruining a person, without any evidence to support their claims. I enjoyed reading about Adam, whose honesty and perseverance, are what makes him attractive to Phoebe. Phoebe is a delightful character in that, she can be both popular and yet, not be drawn into the pettiness of the ton, which is often portrayed in books of this genre. It was also delightful to see Emily, gain in confidence, with the friendship of Phoebe to support her. This was not only a beautiful romance, but a story of two very honourable and supportive families.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
You know it's a good story when you're not only mentally and emotionally involved, but physically involved in the story as well. When I was reading the climax, I found myself all tensed up and trying to read as fast as I could because that makes things turn out well for the good guy, right? That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Needless to say (again) I really enjoyed this latest installment in the Georgian Gentleman series. I fell in love with each of the main characters, as well as several of the side characters as well. It was even enjoyable learning a bit more about growing apples and making cider! (And now I really want some fresh made cider. That sounds delicious.) And you can make cheese from apples? I need to go down a rabbit hole and research that, because I didn't even know that was a thing.

I alternated between reading and listening to the story, which made it a little difficult at first to keep track of all the different names, but I eventually got it. (The narrator for this book did an amazing job, by the way.) There were a few different story lines to this book, but they were woven together in a very realistic, entertaining way. Definitely a keeper!
I love Adam and Phoebe. I love Adam's sister Emily. The characters in this book are so rich and have quickly joined memorable characters in the worlds in my head.

Adam has a reputation that is undeserved and Emily has suffered for it. Phoebe manages to look beyond the rumors and finds the truth in her new friends.

I loved the message in this story which is the power in rumors and gossip, and not in a good way. Gossip has the power to destroy. The other truth is the power of being honorable. Phoebe and her father showed themselves to have honor, while Phoebe's mother worried about the gossips, until she saw the truth. Then she used the gossips to her advantage.

The setting in an apple orchard was fun and different. I loved the change of pace from some of the other historicals I have read.

I also really enjoyed the mystery that Adam was trying to solve and the thief he was trying to catch. It added to the story of redemption in this book.

This book was rich with imagery and fantastic characters, some I loved and some I hated. I found myself emotionally attached to this story with a vested interest in its outcome.

I received an eARC from the publisher and this is my honest review.
When I want a good Regency/Georgian tale with depth, I turn to Sian Ann Bessey. She has a gift for creating dialogue with depth that draws you into the characters beyond the superficial. Phoebe has a tender caring heart and immediately wants to be helpful. Adam is trying to do the right thing and care for the ones he loves, particularly his sister. I love how their hearts are drawn together to create such a warm, tender love story. The writing is truly spot on and a delight to immerse yourself for a while.
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are solely my own, freely shared.
An enjoyable read with likable characters and a villain to keep thinks exciting. The only thing I would say is the romance seemed to go from 0 to 10 without much happening so wasn't as good as it could be.

I received this ebook from netgallery in exchange for an honest review as given above,
Once again Bessey has hit it out of the park! Adam’s story draws the reader in and endears himself to them. He seemed so real to me! Adam has these unfortunate circumstances not of his own doing. His father was swindled out of the family fortune and Adam is working so hard to build up an income and capture the swindling thief! His love for his sister is felt from the pages and I think every girl wants a brother like Adam. Phoebe was a wonderful character and her hand of friendship and helping was such a refreshing part of the story. It was so nice to have good characters to cheer for. And they seemed so real to me!
Bessey adds in so many interesting details like cider making and the intricacies of forgery, I feel like I have learned so many new things. I loved this latest installment in The Georgian Gentlemen series, I honestly couldn’t put it down. And when I got to the climax of the story, I could not read fast enough. This book is awesome and I recommend it to any historical fiction fan, you will be delighted and fly through the pages. Full of love and suspense, An Alleged Rogue is a brilliantly told story that comes to life right before your eyes. I received a copy of this book for free; all thoughts and opinions are my own.
How do I write this review without gushing about the book? I don't know if it is possible because I loved this book!

Lord Adam Dunsbourne is an honorable man. He will do what he has to protect the name of the people he loves, even if he becomes the one who takes the blame. He is trying to save his estate from ruin and introduce his younger sister into society. He realizes it is time to stop living and a recluse and give his sister a season.

Phoebe Hadford is not one to give a lot of attention to the whims of society. She is intrigued by Lord Dunsford and his sister and is determined to make up her own mind about them.

This book has so much to offer. It is entertaining, morally correct, contains romance, and a very bad man. The hunt is on to find the villain, but then the hunted becomes the hunter. It is very intriguing how the story plays out. There was not one line that did not play into the ultimate ending. This book is a page-turner. Romance and intrigue, one of my favorite combinations.

Source: I received a complimentary copy, but read the one that I purchased for myself.
Loved this book by Sian Ann Bessey! I loved how the characters had to catch a conman. I loved seeing how misunderstandings made it a rough start for the characters to trust each other. I loved how the story progressed and how things weren’t as they appeared. I loved seeing the characters opinion of each other change as they got to know each other. This story was really well written and I liked that the villain was based on an actual person.

I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
Rumors have been swirling around for 5 years about Lord Adam Dunsbourne. Everyone says he gambled away the family fortune and that he keeps his younger sister, Emily, captive in their home at Dunsbourne Manor.
Phoebe Hadford’s family is new to town. She  hears about the rumors and decides  to do all she can to help the baron’s sister.
She quickly discovers that the rumors do not match what she sees in their home or in their personalities.
Adam does not trust easily. But soon he sees that Phoebe is someone he can trust.
Working together to put away one of the most evil villains of their time, they can’t help but fall in love.

I have a confession… I have never read a book by @sian_bessey before. This was truly my first one. With that being said, I have now found a new author to enjoy. This book is part of a series, but I felt that it works as a stand alone. I felt like it didn’t give anything away to the past books. Highly recommend! Off to the library to get more of her books!
This was just so much more than I expected it to be! I did go into this without having read anything else by the author so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I feel like a lot of Historical Fiction centers around the female character primarily- so I love that this opens up focusing on Lord Adam and his journey to get the villian who swindled his father out of the family fortune. Meanwhile, Phoebe has heard rumors about Lord Adam and his treatment of his dear sister that have her wondering what the truth is. I found all the main characters delightful and will now by going back and reading the other books in the series. The writing is excellent and I recommend this to all historical fiction lovers!

Disclosure: I did read this as an ARC via Netgalley.
I really enjoyed An Alleged Rogue and Sian Bessey is becoming a favorite author of mine! I really liked the characters in this book and loved Phoebe and her kind heart. I also really enjoyed the scenes in the orchard and this book made me want to drink some cider. The historical note at the end was very interesting as well. I am hoping there is another book in this series!
I loved this book so much! It was hard to put down. I m so glad we got to know Phoebe better. She is such an incredible person. I loved her kindness to Emily and her desire to help and understand their family. She and Adam are both struggling to trust each other and put aside preconceived notions, but when they let their guard down they are great together. There are moments of suspense and peril that made it even harder to put it down, but really my favorite moments were of Phoebe and Adam together.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through Netgalley and this is my honest review.
I loved this latest addition to the Georgian Gentlemen's series. This is possibly the first book I've read where I've forcefully paced myself to slow down so I could enjoy a little more every night. I didn't want it to end too quickly.

I also appreciated the slow-build romance. The two main characters admired one another before interest threw hormones on fire. Excellent.

The addition of the villain's viewpoint was a surprising and very satisfying addition. Wondering what the punk is up to? Just wait a second and he will let you know.

**I recieved a free copy of this ebook from the publisher. All words and opinions are my own, as always.**
Phenomenal!!! After I finished reading it I started it for a second time. Then a third. I loved how multidimensional the characters were, and how well they understood society standards and yet found ways to break through them.  My heart ached for Lord Dunsbourne and the wrongs that were continually laid at his feet. And yet here was ac hance for the damsel to come to the aid of the hero instead of the other way around!!! Well, that happened too, which was soooooo swoon worthy. Bravo, Sian!!!!  The characters were so easy to fall in love with, or hate despicably in the case of the villain(s). I thoroughly enjoyed this story!
A delightful story. I had a hard time getting into it and was confused at the beginning. But it got better.
Another fine read in this Georgian Gentlemen series. Sian Ann Bessey is a master writer. She is thorough in her research and writing style. Which brings forth excellent stories. An Alleged Rogue, is one of those books. Intrigue, suspense, history, sweet wholesome romance, this book has everything to peak your interest and take you back in history. The characters are well written and very enjoyable. The story interesting and holds you captive till the end. I also appreciated the authors notes at the end. I love to get lost in a story, but learn a piece of history in the process.
An Alleged Rogue by Sian Ann Bessey

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Story Notes

Sian brings another delightfully swoony and mysterious story to the Georgian Gentlemen series and I had a marvelous time reading it.

Most readers have seen the bookish meme going around with the girl wanting to both finish a great read and yet make it last as long as possible. That was me with this story. I loved the way that Sian added depth and plot to her story with each chapter, drawing me further into the lives of her characters and truly getting me invested in what happened to them. Adam, Lord Dunsbourne, has been working like mad to return his family's coffers to solvent for the past five years. A mistaken investment by his father cost them dearly and led to the former Lord Dunsbourne's death. But the thief who swindled his father is a master of disguise and fled the country right after the discovery of theft was made. His sister, Emily, is now approaching the age where she will need to make her debut into society, so his focus must move from seeking out the scoundrel to helping Emily make her entrance. He is at a loss, however, with how to make that happen. Having no wife and no acquaintance with societal experience, he must use what means he has at his disposal to allow him to find someone who might help. Thus, a dinner invitation brings him back into the world of society and introduces him to the delightful Phoebe Hadford. Phoebe's family is new to the area of Berkshire though she is well acquainted with several of the young ladies in residence. The sudden appearance of the reclusive Lord Dunsbourne sets tongues to wagging and Phoebe's friends are only too happy to share the malicious gossip that surrounds the Dunsbourne family. Her heart breaking at the idea that sweet Emily might be held captive by a controlling brother, Phoebe  makes it her mission to befriend her in the hopes she might ascertain the truthfulness of the rumors. What she finds instead of an overbearing man, is a shy, hardworking gentleman who is trying to ensure his home and family are well cared for. An easy friendship builds between the Dunsbourne and Hadford homes but the local society is still vicious in their tales. Can Phoebe use her standing and her influence to help remove the shadow hovering over the Dunsbourne name? And will Adam be able to return the proffered favor when his nemesis makes another appearance? Can he also take a chance on love, even though he once believed it out of his grasp forever? You'd better grab your copy of this delightful story if you want to find out because I'm not telling!

I can't recommend this story and the series highly enough. It's well written, has excellent characters, includes some sharp wit and a hint of mystery/suspense that culminates in a read that you will both want to rush through and savor at the same time (remember the meme?) I loved how everything flowed well and there were no places where conversation became boring or repetitive. Adam was a wonderful hero, though he tended towards self-sacrifice a bit too often. It was a flaw that was remedied but made him relatable to readers. Phoebe was the perfect person to befriend Adam and Emily and her tendencies towards snobbery were tempered quickly when she was faced with opportunities to help her friends. One other thing I did notice and really appreciated was that any character that was mentioned was given a good bit of page time. There were no random mentions that weren't developed and I've enjoyed seeing how Sian does that with all of her books. If you've not already done so, get this book and the series on your TBR list immediately and settle in for some excellent reading. You certainly won't be disappointed!

I received this temporary complimentary E-book from Sian Ann via NetGalley. I am not required by anyone to write a positive review but am most pleased to do so. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.