Cover Image: When You Are Mine

When You Are Mine

This is my first Michael Robotham book and I honestly thought I was reading an installment in a series instead of a stand alone book. This review will not be very long because I honestly don't have any great thoughts on it. It was fine. Did I find it to be a true mystery/thriller? Not really. I can say it was easy to read and keep flipping the pages. I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending though.

3 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review a copy of this book.
I’ve read multiple books by Robotham and this one lives up to the hype just like all the others! Suspenseful and a great ending! Will recommend!
This is my first read by Michael Robotham.  The synopsis pretty much gave things away.  A story about a London policewoman that befriends a victim of a domestic disturbance call.  The friend starts to get a little too personal to the point that the policewoman's life turns inside out.  It was quite predictable.
This is a gripping crime/psychological thriller regarding a “good ole boys” network within the police. It is intense and will have the reader turning pages.
Many thanks to Scribner and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
When You Are Mine is a complex web of a story that keeps you guessing until the final chapters. Philomena McCarthy is a young policeman officer in London whose life is upended when she intervenes in a domestic abuse case.  It turns out the abuser in the case it a decorated police detective, and Phil's efforts to protect the woman lead her to be fired from the force.  She agrees to help Tempe Brown recover and the two become friends.  But Phil realizes not all is right with Tempe and begins to question everything that has happened since they met.  This is my second Michael Robotham book and it won't be my last.  He writes books that aren't easy to figure out or dissect and his characters are complex.
Interesting perspective on a psychological thriller. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get past the first few chapters. Expecting a thriller, I suppose I received more discussion on relationships and past one night stands, then building the plot, in my opinion. I suspect I am the wrong audience for this book.

It does have an interesting plot beginning, taking place in London with in a British constable. As an American, learning some of the subtlety differences was interesting.

Because I think I'm the wrong audience, but I can clearly see the author is a master of writing, I've decided to give three stars. The comments are mine with no influence.
One of my favorite authors and while I love him, I just enjoyed this book. It was just likable to me and nothing more. I was interested throughout, but not as invested as I was in the past sad to say. Still solid four at least for me.
When you are mine

She was the victim, but how much of what she said was really the truth? When police officer Philomena McCarthy and her partner answer a call to a domestic disturbance between what is unknown to her as a highly established detective and his mistress, she finds herself be-friending the victim. But what happens when she finds herself becoming the victim, slowly seeming to lose everything she's worked so hard for?
Thank you to Netgalley, Scribner and Michael Robothom for the opportunity to read and review this book. It was a but lengthy but it was definitely gripping for me. I loved Philomena's character and had some serious empathy for her and everything that was happening to her. There were some good twists in this one and the ending definitely caught me off guard. Though it was a lengthy book, it was a pretty good paced book and didn't leave any loose ends. I enjoyed this one, though it did have some sketchy parts that creeped me out. If you're into dark twisty psychological thrillers, this one is for you. I rate this ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book was amazing! Such a thrill ride and I can’t wait to read more by this author! Thanks Netgalley for letting me read it early!
This one was a tough one for me to rate.I love Michael Robotham’s books but this one just fell short for me. The publisher’s description sounded really appealing to me,, but after reading the first 15 -20 chapters, At first  I wondered where this book was going. The beginning was slow moving and actually had multiple things going on for the main character Philomena; a police case a domestic violence involving a fellow police detective and his mistress, Tempe Brown which she befriends. Phil’s upcoming wedding to plans, and on top of it trying  to prove herself to fellow officers that she isn’t like her corrupted father (she feels she has to prove herself).
I could clearly see the train wreak and where it was going…  I want to slap Philomena and tell her to wake up several times lol. This one wasn’t is my favorite, but I do look forward to other books by Mr. Robotham.
 A very special thank you to Scribner Publishing for the advanced readers copy in exchange for my honest review. -
Dark and intense this psychological thriller had me so absorbed. Phil, a London police officer and daughter of a gangster. This latest case will have Phil in a tight spot as she befriends the victim (or is she a victim) of her latest domestic call case as she arrested the abuser, a decorated police detective. This was very suspenseful and I look forward to reading more from this author.
Michael Robotham just doesn’t know how to write a bad book. I’ve read all this novels and each one gets better and better. Phil, a policewoman is the main character in this one, and she has troubles on all sides. Work problems, trying to save people, family problems, her father is a mobster. The story draws you in from the very beginning.
Thanks to NetGalley for this advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the story and characters background.
Always a good  read when a new Robotham hits the shelves but this one is a stunner! Mixing domestic abuse, toxic friendship and family dynamics this one is captivating from page 1 to the end!! Main character is a London policewoman who has problems on all sides as she gets ready for her upcoming wedding. Libraries will need more than one copy.  Enjoy and eagerly await Robotham's next!!!
I was hooked from the beginning with this one! Robotham managed to write a thriller that touches on so many issues - toxic relationships, family and the dysfunction we all within our families, domestic violence, mental health, and the blue wall in police departments. Beyond covering so many important topics, one of my other favorite things about this book is the character development. While I can usually enjoy a thriller with one-dimensional characters, they usually top out at a three star read. While we did have one character that was pure evil, the remaining characters were complicated and multi-dimensional. Looking forward to reading more by Robotham!
Unfortunately DNF this at about 25%. The stereotypes of the Mafia family were so over the top that I found myself... defending the Mafia? Also, this dude should never be allowed to write women characters again (see: "jiggling ovaries")
I'm a huge Michael Robotham fan.  HUGE.  So I was especially excited to get my hands on this one.  In the words of Stephen King, "I always have a huge stack of books to read, but a Michael Robotham novel automatically goes to the top of the pile."  And it's true.  I currently have approximately 15 books checked out from the library, easily 50 unread on my shelf at home, yet this one easily jumps the line.

In When You Are Mine, we meet Philomena McCarthy, a young, ambitious police officer.  After responding to a domestic violence call, Philomena gets entangled in quite the mess, involving both career and family.  This book was quite the thrill-ride and you spend half the book screaming at Phil to "GET OFF ALREADY!".  Phil sees it as her duty to protect people in need, no matter what the cost.  No matter what it may cost her professionally or personally.  I had a hard time with Phil's tunnel vision to DO THE RIGHT THING, while having blinders on to the holes she was digging for herself on multiple fronts.  However, I did really enjoy this one and I give it a solid 4 stars.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This was my first book by Michael Robotham, but I am definitely going to have to check out his backlist books after how much I enjoyed it.

As you can tell from the book summary, Phil has her work cut out for her in terms of making a name for herself within her precinct. As if being young and female isn’t enough, she also comes from a notorious family with mob connections. And now she is going up against a decorated detective that has the whole force backing him.

I really enjoyed Phil as the main character. While certainly flawed, she is a badass who is unwilling to let a corrupt system get the best of her. I liked that she was able to defend herself given her karate background, and that she taught other women how to do the same. I also found her father’s family to be extremely interesting. Phil was estranged from her father for obvious reasons, but reconnected with him over the course of the book.

While I wasn’t shocked by the main turns the story took, When You Are Mine was interesting and engaging throughout. There was one aspect I was surprised by, and that twist felt especially empowering for that character. If you like slow-burn thrillers with a creepy stalker aspect, this one is for you!

I would definitely be interested in hearing more about Phil’s story and how she works to reconcile her career. She was certainly a memorable MC with an interesting backstory, should the author decide to do more with her.
I have read and loved several Robotham books, so I was excited to read his latest, about a police officer who comes from a family of criminals. Already a pariah because of her family, Philomena's work life really starts going downhill when she attempts to arrest a fellow police officer for domestic violence and is told by her superiors to leave it alone. Concerned for Tempe, the victim with nowhere safe to go, Phil goes to check on her and quickly becomes entangled on many fronts.
These are great elements for a story, but I just didn't love this one as much as his previous work. It seemed like a lot of filler about Phil's family and Tempe's past that didn't amount to much.
This was a solid mystery / whodunnit and it was full of excitement and thrills. Overall very entertaining.