Cover Image: Move the Body, Heal the Mind

Move the Body, Heal the Mind

The author shares her own story and also presents the science but in a way that is easy to understand. There are suggestions of steps to take, and the book builds on info. There are.also stories from her patients. Each chapter starts with a motivational quote. I enjoyed how each chapter ended with suggestions of exercises, and there is a whole section in the back of the book that explains and shows with a photo how to do those moves. The book made it easy to recognize how the reader is stuck where they are and what to do to move forward.
If you're in an exercise slump, or just need motivation to get moving, read 'Move the Body, Heal the Mind'. Jennifer Heisz makes the case, through her personal story, as well as others' stories and scientific evidence how important physical exercise is for the human body and mind. Highly recommend to anyone interested in why we need to move, as well as for those are looking for relief from anxiety and depression.

Thanks to Net-Galley for the free e-galley in exchange for my honest review.
I love how this book gives you enough scientific knowledge that you can connect the dots. While this is information that you have likely heard in some capacity previously, it is presented in a way to help you find nuggets that work for you or supports you along with your doctors help on a new path.

Thank you for the ability to review this book.
Did you know the mind can only perform one task at a time? This is how attention to breath can calm down an anxious mind. If you're focused on counting and breathing, your mind can’t also be busy freaking out on you. Mind.  Blown. (Pun intended)

There is a lot of content packed into this little book!

As someone who suffers from anxiety and sometimes depression. As someone with adult ADD. As someone with concerns for mental strength and memory loss as I get older, this book was screaming at me to be read.

I am an avid exerciser, so I would say that the exercises recommended would be for first timers or those getting back into a regular routine. However there is so much more to take away from this book than a workout or five. It’s all about he application.

Learning how and when to push yourself, as well as when to reel it back a bit depending on your stressors are invaluable.

Learning to move and breathe to negate things like dementia and anxiety.

Exercise as an anti-depressant.  Exercise as a means to get your creative juices flowing or focus dialed in. There is just so much to learn and practice from Dr Heisz, I cannot wait to put it into practice.
A helpful, and inspiring read. This book makes it all understood, and can be lifechanging. Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Great book!! Inspires me to stay committed to walking and the gym for more reasons than simply burning calories! And at my age sleep can be a challenge- and who doesn’t want to try to prevent dementia - this explains an easy to understand way how to do just that! A timely read for those who dealt with extra stress on mental health due to the pandemic and quarantines.  Highly recommend!!
This would be a great book for the person that's just started working out. For me, who has been on a health journey for a lot of years now, the information wasn't really new and I didn't gain a whole lot of new insight.
A good book on how important movement is to our minds and bodies, and why. The author shares her own stories, which offered a nice, personal touch to what can sometimes be a repetitive topic. Exercise is important, and as much as we should all know this, sometimes it's reminders like these, in-depth examples and stories, that truly inspire us.
Very helpful and thought provoking! Always looking for help when it comes to health and mind. Liked to be armed with many tools to ensure a healthy life.
I cannot explain how much I needed this book.  I have had quite a bit of traumatic things happen in the past few years and literally feel like I crawled in a hole.  After reading this book I have felt myself coming out of this hole.  I attribute this to therapy and things I've learned in this book.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ability to read this book in advance.
Overall, I think the author meets her objective. Her bottom line goal seems to share how exercise has mental and emotional benefits, beyond the simple physiologic effects.
I appreciate the author sharing her personal story to grab readers!
My main concerns are:

1)The writing is extremely verbose. I can’t help but wonder if the author could share her sentiments in a more concise way.

2)As a medical profession, I do challenge some of the granular details of the anatomy and physiology discussed. The intent of sharing these details is productive and I understand the intent.

3)I do struggle with the overall identity of this writing. It seems one part narrative, one part motivational, and one part exercise-directed writing. I understand the concept, but the overall target and intention of each section seems to vary.

4) I question the validity of some of the references used.

Because of the concerns I noted above, I have downgraded to 3 stars. Despite these concerns, I did learn a lot from this read, and it did motivate me to be more active!
This isn’t my usual type of book, but the title caught my attention and the subject matter intrigued me to no end. This book was informative, interesting, and encouraging, and I’d definitely recommend it.
A noted neuroscientist reveals groundbreaking research on how fitness and exercise can combat mental health conditions such as anxiety, dementia, ADHD, and depression, and offers a plan for improving focus, creativity, and sleep.

In this book, the author research about fitness and body positivity and raise some mental health issues and give us proper insight about it.
It was quite intellectual and acknowledging read for me.
I usually do not read self-help books, but the topic, along with a new year resolution to branch out into different genres, made me request this book.

This book is perfect for anyone interested in the ways exercise can improve their lives outside of their physical well-being. Heisz uses excellent data and statistics to make the case that exercise does more than keep one trim; but also helps reduce anxiety, prevents dementia, recover from addiction, and sleep better. Heisz expertly balances the science behind her claims with colloquial verbiage to make the read approachable to anyone. Also, Heisz gives workout plans and fitness advice for anybody looking to update their routine.

Overall, I would recommend this book for anybody interested in fitness, mental health, self help, and wellness who wants an informative data-driven read to help improve their physical and psychological well-being.

Thanks to NetGalley, Jennifer, Heisz, and Mariner Books for lending me this ARC!
This book was intriguing and inspiring enough that I set up my own exercise program based on her research to see if it would help boost my mood. I was specifically intrigued by her research around developing our capacity to make new memories when we link aerobic activity with learning something new. The results have been good. It’s too soon to know yet if this will produce long term gains. But I’m pleased with the early results and will go through the book again to glean more of the ideas she puts forth.  Recommended.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing a copy of this book.
I chose this read for the chapter on exercise and dementia. She had some pretty good data to support that lack of  exercise is linked with dementia.  I especially appreciated the data on sitting for long periods of time and it's link to memory.  This is a good resource for anyone who wants to get started slowly and must have clinical data to motivate them.
If you aren't into exercising now, you may find yourself moving daily after reading this book.

Jennifer Heisz shares her research/findings on how physical activity benefits our mental health and packages it in a way that is easy to understand. Using real-world examples in all stages of life, this book resonates with a reader in a way that makes you want to take action. It explores how physical activity plays a positive role from childhood into old age and dives into the science of why exercise is so important for our brain's health (such as preventing dementia, recovering from addiction, focusing at work, and more). Following each section, Jennifer supplies a workout plan to put what you just learned into action. It may sound intimidating, but she makes it easy by including a range of difficulty plans knowing her reader may be in different stages of exercise.

I highly recommend this book to those looking for their 'why' behind exercising. As a person who likes to exercise myself, I still found this book fascinating and it gave me even more reason to keep on moving. Knowing the science of how physical activity affects the brain and body motivates in a way that hits close to home.

Thank you to NetGalley, Mariner Books, and Jennifer Heisz for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
The body positivity movement is so important, yet it has impacted how I view and feel about moving my body. For better and worse.

Similar to the sex positivity movement, if we look critically, we find areas that the movement ignores or even hinders. (That’s why I’m more aligned with the sex responsibility movement, which doesn’t shame ‘vanilla’ preferences and calls for accountability.) All that to say, I’ve had a hard time finding my why to exercise. I don’t want people to think I’m obsessed with or care about changing how I look. I don’t want to hear, “You’re beautiful just the way you are!” Cause I know, thanks.

Move the Body, Heal the Mind came into my life at the perfect time because now I have multiple whys for exercising: to improve my mental health, immune response, sleep, creativity, and more.

I have anxiety, depression, and OCD, so I was nervous about how this book would discuss mental illness, especially medication vs. exercise. Because my meds honestly saved my life. But I learned that, for many people who don’t respond to medication, low levels of serotonin isn’t the root cause for mental illnesses. Instead, inflammation in the brain, due to extended stress or sickness, is the root cause. But get this—mental health professionals don’t test for inflammation but instead treat all patients as if they have low serotonin. Wow, right? Turns out, no matter the cause, exercise helps both responders and non-responders.

Also, for those of you like me who have found it hard to stick to your health plan in the past no matter how much you plan, this book shows how it’s not your fault but your brain’s focus. You should definitely read more, but essentially, all your goals and planning is needed— until you start exercising. Then you need to focus on the experience.

If you’re looking for your why or find psychology fascinating, pick up this book!

Favorite Quotes

"Bigger is not always better when it comes to an immune response. Too much inflammation’s bad for the body, and the consequences range from trivial to tragic."

"When the brain’s inflamed, it metabolizes tryptophan, creating a toxic by-product that damages the hippocampus. This makes it harder to turn off the stress response, and this, creates even more stressed-out called and inflammation."

"Exercising muscles release special Ed cytokines called myokines . . . With consistent training, . . . the body becomes less inflamed."

"Exercise is medicine that we all need. And I do mean all of us. Not just drug-resistant non-responders, but responders too."

"Exercising more during the day helps us pay back our sleep debt faster so that we can wake up feeling more refreshed and recharged."

"By training your body to move more creatively, you train your mind to think more creatively."

"You can train to enhance both focus and creativity, but your training program must include unpredictability, cross-training, and play."
I usually don’t read this type of book but the cover caught my attention.  The subject is very interesting and as I wanted to know more about it I asked for a copy.
There were some things I really didn’t understand at all because there is a ton of information about medical stuff obviously, that I am not familiar with, so it was a bit heavy to read.
What I enjoyed most about this book was the personal story of Jennifer.
I think this is a good welcome for those who want to start doing excersice because it sure does give crucial information if someone is reluctant to do so. Although this wasn't my cup of tea I believe that the right reader is going to benefit a lot.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Mariner Books for this ARC.
I was impressed by the research and the author made convincing arguments (with evidence) for her points. I definitely learned some things. I hope that an editor will take a look before publication. There were many mistakes in the advanced reader copy. There were sometimes several major typos on a single page.