Cover Image: The Healing Garden

The Healing Garden

Herbal medicine is my JAM!!!!

Juliet Blankespoor took it to a whole new level by making it educational and fun. Learning the techniques and back story of how we can grow and make our own medicine is soul touching. Having the knowledge to treat your body and properly sustain important nutrients should be in every school kid's textbooks!

I loved this and will definitely be recommending it to all my heath conscious and homesteading pals.
The Healing Garden by Juliet Blankespoor is the kind of book that you want to own the hardback! I say that because that is how you would appreciate the beautiful illustrations in the best way!!

This book contains everything you could want to know to have a healing garden in your yard - large or small and even in pots, from choosing the herbs - to cultivating the garden, to planting, tending, and harvesting.  It offers safe holistic ways to deal with pests.

I love this book!  I really recommend it for anyone interested in growing a healing garden of herbs!
I am very excited about this book, not only is it beautifully presented but the information is very easy to read. with over 400pages of information covering sections on Cultivating Medicine, Making Medicine, Botanical Medicine Foundations, and Properties and Recipes. These sections break down to Planning, Soil., Problems, Growing in Containers, Plant Propagation and Drying to name just a few.
I grow quite a few plants in my garden, both for fabric dyeing and adding to cooking. I also grow plants to make teas for their healing properties on a small scale - this book gives me the information to go further with my planting.
It is a beautiful book, one to dip into from time to time and always to learn something from. Easy to grow plants with wonderful colour for the garden as well as healing properties.
This is a wonderful guide to growing your own herbal plants and using them in natural remedies. The first half is very much a gardening guide, so it will be helpful for those who are new to gardening. It's very comprehensive and will be a great asset. The second half goes into the plants she profiles, both how to grow them and how to use them, with details about their benefits, contraindications, and so on. One or two recipes are included for some of the plants.

The plants featured are: anise hyssop, ashwagandha, basil, bee balm, black cohosh, calendula, chickweed, dandelion, echinacea, elderberry, elecampane, goldenrod, goldenseal, gotu kola, hibiscus, lavender, lemon balm, meadowsweet, milky oats, mint, motherwort, passionflower, prickly pear, rose, skullcap, spillanthes, stinging nettles, tulsi, valerian, vervain, violet, yarrow. Not all of these grow in my climate, but many of them will grow in most temperate areas. Most are perennials, though some are annuals.

I wish there were more plants featured, as some that I use the most are not included (some that come to mind are mullein, garlic, horsetail, cleavers, red clover, hawthorn, burdock, horseradish, mugwort, pine, plantain leaf, sage, aloe and chamomile). Obviously, many of these are found in the wild and more easily foraged (which can also be said for many that she includes, such as dandelions and stinging nettles), but many of my favorite remedies are missing and some of the ones she includes are not ones that I'd consider especially noteworthy. She includes a wonderful range though, and great instructions on how to grow them.

This is a great start for those who are new to healing remedies and growing them in their gardens, though, plus very detailed information about the basics of herbal remedies. I'd highly recommend it for new or intermediate gardeners and herbal enthusiasts.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
One of the best modern common herbal books I have found.   Everything in one place, showing each herb medicinal properties, types of tinctures typically made for the herb, uses, growing and harvesting of the herbs and culinary uses if any. With detailed pictures.
I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. I love love love this book! I am all about healing naturally with herbs and this book I will be going back to time and time again. Thank you! Very informative.
First off- let me premise by stating I am not an avid gardener but I truly want to bring more manageable plants like herbs and flowers at my new home. This book was a beautiful guide with personal touches from the author on how to best work your garden or outdoor spaces to accommodate more healing plants and herbs. I am not one to make tinctures or balms or lotions out of plants, but I definitely love making teas (there’s tea recipes included!!). Most of the advice is a bit advanced for me and my goals, but it is informative enough that anyone new or novice to these skills would easily be able to follow the instructions.
The photos in this were stunning & I would recommend buying this for anyone who had a friend or loved one into gardening or healing plants.
The Healing Garden by Juliet Blankespoor is a extensive book filled with everything you need to know about herbs and plants. I was so impressed by how much thought went into making sure every topic possible was covered in this book. How to plant, conditions, size are covered as well as what each herb can do and how to harvest and use them all. The recipes were plentiful and the photography was beautiful. This is a very large book and a great addition for anyone looking to incorporate herbal remedies into their lives.

Thank you to NetGalley and Mariner Books for the opportunity to read this book book for an honest review.
"The Healing Garden" is a comprehensive guide to growing and using herbs for medicinal purposes!  There many herbs and plants available to cultivate and find in the wild that can be beneficial to our well being.  She provides extensive information, from the identification, planting, cultivation of numerous herbs and plant that are available to man!   A thorough guide filled with recipes and suggestions how to use the herbs after your harvest.  I am happy to include this book in my garden and planting library!
This is an outstanding resource with stunning photographs. The book is divided into three sections. The first section is about cultivating medicine; how to grow your best garden. Part two is all about making medicine; using your herbs to create remedies and more. Part three is about botanical medicine; understanding specific herbal profiles and recipes.  This book is one I will use over and over and keep handy! Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
Juliet Blankespoor's The Healing Garden - Cultivating and Handcrafting Herbal Remedies offers recipes, step-by-step instructions on how to plan your healing garden, and other information needed on what to grow and how to grow it. Beautifully written and well researched with stunning photographs, The Healing Garden is a must have for those who understand that food and herbs can have healing properties and for those who care about their health and wellness! This is a book I will refer to often to help me with my personal health journey.
If you're at all interested in growing herbs of any sort, this book is for you. I was amazed by the vastness of information that it contains. It is split up into 3 parts. The first is all about how to plan and grow your herbs and flowers no matter the region. It even contains information on growing in containers and has holistic solutions for garden pests and plant diseases.  Part Two goes in depth on how to harvest, dry and store your spoils and how to prepare different types of botanical medicines. Part 3 is an extensive glossary of dozens of different herbs and flowers with pages of detailed information for each on how to grow and in which zones, type of soil, how to propagate, harvest and use in a variety of different medicines or in cooking with mouthwatering recipes. All of this plus page after page of gorgeous photos.

Thank you to Mariner Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book. My review is voluntary and all opinions are my own.