Cover Image: Death By Beach Read

Death By Beach Read

Lucy and Conner have bought a house. It's an old house, unloved in for over 15 years. There's a lot of repairs to be made and Conner and his father start to work. But when Conner is out of town one night, Lucy is alerted to an intruder in the house by Charles her cat. Ahw i convinced that it was only her imagination.

But then when they discover a body in the kitchen and a secret entrance into the house.....

Lucy has to deal with problems at the library including the return to town of a troublesome woman named Dianne.  And there are more secrets uncovered than just an entrance to the house.

There's just too much good stuff to put in a review. You need to read it yourself!
I've read one other Lighthouse Library Mystery but really need to go back and read all the others. These are good!
This is one of my favorite cozy series and Eva Gates (Vicki Delany) is one of my favorite authors.  I make a point of reading all her different series.   She never disappoints.

Lucy and Connor are engaged to be married and have found a perfect home-it’s a fixer upper but the location is wonderful and is a historical property and they were lucky to get it.  The house had been empty for 15 years or so, when the owner passed away and her remaining children didn't want to live there because they thought it was haunted.  Ralph Harper sold it to Lucy and Connor at a great price as he felt they would take care of it.

When Connor is away at a conference, Lucy hears strange noises and finds the patio door open and footprints in the dust.  Since they had decking materials delivered that day she decides the workmen must have done it  The next night she is again wakened by noise.  She shares her concerns with Connor upon his return and learns that there is a trapdoor to the attic.  They go up there and find more footprints in the dust  They call the police but can't be sure its an intruder or workmen who may have been up there or if wind caused the pattern,

However, when they return from dinner with Colin's parents, Lucy discovers a dead body in her kitchen.
They discover the victim had a connection to the house and to people in Nag's Head but what was he doing in their house and what was he searching for.  Did it relate to his murder?  And is the house really haunted?

A well plotted mystery with a great cast of characters.
Cozy mysteries are the perfect summer reads! I loved that this one look place in the Outer Banks. It was a quick and entertaining read. I didn’t realize until I started reading that it’s part of a series, but it can be read as a standalone. The book was fun and it took me a while to figure out the killer. I definitely recommend!

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
What I Loved:

The Mystery. A dead body in a haunted home, no evidence of how the person got in, and an eerie parallel to House of Seven Gables. Can it get much better? I loved the murder and subsequent mystery in this installment. I didn’t guess the murderer, but it also wasn’t an “out of the blue” killer. The perfect balance.

The Setting. One of my favorite themes about this series is the rich descriptions of the Outer Banks beach living, the historic homes, and the lighthouse. Death by Beach Read certainly didn’t disappoint! Beautiful beaches, loving descriptions of restoring the old beach homes, the very real fear of fire in beach communities, all wonderfully described.

The Tone. Sometimes, cozy mysteries can be a little flippant with death, with the death being an afterthought to push the character development or show off detective skills. However here, the murder is in every scene: it is in every creak of the stairs, the fear permeating Lucy, Connor’s paranoia. It actually felt like a murder was committed instead of a plot pushed.

What Didn’t Work as Well:

Lack of Character Development. I know, not every single book in a series can provide groundbreaking revelations for our characters. Lucy and Connor are moving in together and Lucy is planning their wedding, but not much goes on between them or the side characters. The mystery takes precedence (as it should), but sometimes that means our favorite characters get a little short changed.

The Length / Pace. Not sure if it was due to the lack of character development, but there were times that this book felt lagged, and overall felt a bit too long. The exposure of the murderer happened too long after the crime, and the crime happened too long into the book.
I really like the Library Lighthouse series and this is the latest one and it was really good.

Lucy and Conner are buying a house and it looks like a great house till they find out it comes with a lot of baggage. A lot of people think that it's haunted and there have been some strange things happening while Lucy was there. Then Lucy finds a dead body in their kitchen who happens to be a kin to the guy who sold the house to them and that is when they find out about the odd history surrounding the house.

Lucy tries to not get involved that much but of course she does get involved because she needs to find out what exactly happened as the sister to the dead guy was spooked in that house a long time ago and has never been back into it and it seems strange that she has been seen hanging around the house.

There was a lot of good suspects and it took me a while to figure this one out, but I did figure out who the killer. That didn't bring down the enjoyment of the story because it took me a while.

I recommend this series if you enjoy cozy mysteries.
What a pleasure this cozy mystery was! Set on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, just a short drive from my home in Virginia.,  loved the familiarity of place it gave.. Cozy mysteries are always a good plan when you just want to sit back and read a quick, fun, entertaining story. Bonus...I didn't figure out whodunit before the reveal! Death by Beach Read is the 9th in the Library mystery series and the first I have read by Eva Gates...I will definitely be back for more! I highly recommend...and double your fun by actually reading it on the beach.
This may be the 9th in the Lighthouse Mystery series, it is the first that I have read. Upon finishing, I now can't wait to ready the prior ones. Death by Beach Read is a balancing act of cozy and thriller mystery. Thank you @netgally
Thank you @netgalley and @crookedlanebooks for an ARC of Death by Beach Read by Eva Gates, Lighthouse Library Mysteries, number 9. This is one of my favorite bookish cozy mystery series.

It’s spring in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and Lucy and Connor have moved into their new home at last, a historic cottage on the Nags Head Beach. Lucy is busy with her work at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, planning her wedding, and decorating the house. That is, until a dead body disrupts their peaceful new home.

Book 9 was a solid entry. I love revisiting this cast of characters. And Lucy is a character that gets stronger each book. I read slowly because I didn’t want to leave Nags Head. So enjoyed it!
I love this series. It's always been on of my favorites. I love Connor and Lucy and even Louse Jane is growing on me. I love when books connect the present with something that happened in the past and that was this book. Very entertaining and hard to put down!
Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for the gifted ebook of Death by Beach Read!  All opinions in this review are my own.

Despite Death by Beach Read being the ninth book in the series, it is the first one that I read.  I love the town it is set in and the people that populate it!

For a cozy mystery, Death by Beach Read is pretty spooky!  I really liked the mystery in this novel and how much action happens in it.  I feel like Death by Beach Read really blurs the line between cozy mystery and thriller!
This is a Cozy Mystery, and this is the 9th book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery Series. I love this series, and I have read the other books in this book series before picking up this book. I love the characters in this book. I loved the mystery/suspense in this book, but I did miss her living in the lighthouse. I hope the next book in this book series will have more of the lighthouse library in it. I am glad she has Charles the library cat at her new house. I cannot wait for her wedding. I did enjoy getting to know Connor's father. I did not guess the killer or who was messing with Lucy's house. Great Fun Read. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Crooked Lane Books) or author (Eva Gates) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest and personal review. I really enjoy the writing of Eva Gates (also known as Vicki Delany). She draws you in and makes you feel like these characters are old friends. Lucy Richardson is a small town librarian to a library located in a lighthouse. She is engaged to Connor McNeil, the town mayor, and she takes care of the library cat Charles. Lucy and Connor are moving into a new home and one night when they return, a body is found on the floor. It's up to Lucy (with some help) to untangle to the mystery and solve the murder. Another enjoyable addition to this series, can't wait for the next one!
I really enjoyed this book.  I don't think I have read any other book by this author but was able to follow along with the story line and not feel the least bit left out or confused.  So if you are new to the series it doesn't matter you will still enjoy the book.

Charles., I think, was my favorite character in the story.  He is Lucy's cat and he is a good judge of character.  He also alerts Lucy if there is danger.  Which seems to follow her wherever she goes.  I enjoyed Connor and the other cast of characters and think you will too.

Check out the book you will be glad that you do. I am thinking I need to read the other books in the series because I really enjoyed this one.
Death By Beach Read by Eva Gates is an ode to book lovers and cozy mystery fans.  I read and listened to this  9th stand alone book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery.

Newlywed librarian Lucy's new beach house is perfect until she finds a dead body in it. Some think it's haunted but Charlie the library cat knows it's human foul play.

Narrator Elise Arsenault.actor is a fun storyteller making Lucy as endearing as any Hallmark Mystery Movie heroine. This series needs to be on their channel.

I received a free copy of this audiobook from Dreamscape Media via #netgalley for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own
I really enjoyed this one! The mystery was very good, I liked the ties to mysterious events of fortyish years prior and how it figured into the present day murder. The reveal of the killer was satisfying and a fun twist. Fantastic!
After several really good reads in this series, I was sad when this one just fell sort of flat for me. I don't know if it is because they are away from the Library [where the action usually takes place], or because of all of the unlikeable characters [though for the first time, Louise Jane did not make me wish she was the corpse, so that is a HUGE win for me in this series], I just wasn't in love with this one. As soon as one character shows up, I  knew they were the killer [though I didn't know the why so that is another point in the books favor], and there were moments where Lucy made me just want to stand up and yell [though there was a moment where I wanted to PARTY at something Lucy did that she has never done before so there is that too]. The bestie read this before me and she really liked it so I think it was just me this time.

The story is an interesting one; whenever someone gets/buys an old house, there is an undercurrent of excitement that something fun or rare or whatever will be found and that is the set-up here. Connor and Lucy are finally at the point they can live there as they continue the renovations and at once point come home to find a dead body in what they thought was their locked house. What ensues is a combination of anger, revenge, shenanigans and fear. Which is another reason that this might have been just average for me - there just seemed to be too much and after awhile, I just stopped being interested.

I would absolutely still read another one; I am invested in these characters and I need to see what happens when Connor and Lucy FINALLY get married. I am sure that a dead body will show up there too. LOL

I was also given a audiobook ARC for this and it was weird listening to this series again - while not a huge fan of this particular narrator, it was helpful to have the narration and not just have to read read it [I am sure it would have taken me a long time to finish this without it] and by the end I had settled in and would absolutely listen to an audiobook of this series and narrator again.

Thank you to NetGalley, Eva Gates, Elise Arsenault - Narrator, Crooked Lane Books, and Dreamscape Media for providing this ARC and audiobook ARC in exchange for an honest review.
“Death by Beach Read” is Lucy Richardson’s story, her first person narrative. Until recently she lived in a cozy home on the fourth floor of the lighthouse where she is the Assistant Director of the library housed there.  She has always loved books, and as a child she imagined that the characters in books came out at night to chat with each other. She was destined to be a librarian.

Lucy is soon to be married to Connor McNeal, and the couple has just moved into their “dream” house. At least it will be their dream house when Conner and his dad finish the remodeling. It is a classic old beach house built partially on stilts, and even has sliding boards to allow them a view of the water at high tide. They both love that old house; they just hope that the house will love them back since rumor has it that the house is haunted. Lucy was even warned that she should not marry Connor and should not move into that house. She thinks all that “stuff” is just nonsense and that the house is just an old house. That is, until she finds a dead body on her new kitchen floor.

“Death by Beach Read” is book nine in the “Lighthouse Library Mystery” series, but as a first time reader, I had no trouble following along. There are a few references to past events, but needed information is seamlessly included as part of the current narrative. The characters are genuine and likable. Their words and deeds smoothly move the story along; they make things happen.

I also listened to the audio version of “Death by Beach Read” narrated by Elise Arsenault who has a multi-dimensional voice that creates an atmosphere that is at various times is melodic, reassuring, and matter of fact.  At other times there is urgency in the narration, a tone of anticipation and yet dread of what is to come. Voices of the characters are distinct with the appropriate emotion and accent, although male voices are somewhat of a challenge.  The narrative flows nicely with fluid dialogue transitions.
I received print and audio review copies of “Death by Beach Read” from Eva Gates, Crooked Lane Books, and Dreamscape Media. The book is quick to read with a little mystery, a little suspense, and a lot of fun. It is a simple story told simply well. The audio version provides a different experience, with the narrator perhaps supplying a little more absorbing involvement for the reader.  Both versions are filled with compelling personalities as well as some mystery and suspense.

“Death by Beach Read” is now available in print, as an eBook, and as an audiobook from independent bookstores, online booksellers, retail stores, public libraries and anywhere you get your books.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Spring has sprung in the Outer Banks and Lucy has a lot on her plate. Working at the library, planning her wedding to Connor, and decorating the new historic home on the beach she and Connor have purchased and moved into. Connor and his dad have already done tons of work on the place. Not handy with tools whatsoever Lucy is looking forward to painting and buying furniture to make the house feel like home.

Charles the library cat now comes home with Lucy every day as Louise Jane has now been formally hired by the library and installed herself in Lucy’s Lighthouse Aerie. Connor is away at a conference so Lucy and Charles are spending their first night alone in their new home. They are awakened by sounds that have nothing to do with the wind outside or the house settling. When Lucy investigates she finds the patio door open and footprints in the sawdust.

The noises continue after Connor returns, along with some spooky shadows, and then one night they find a dead body in their kitchen. They do not recognize him at all but later find out he does have an old connection to their new home.

Before they find out who killed the man and why, Connor and Lucy find a hidden entrance to their home, some interesting things in the attic, and someone lights their brand new deck on fire.

The Classic Novels Reading Club is reading Nathanial Hawthorne’s The House of the Seven Gables. That draws some interesting visitors to the group. Also, Lucy starts to find similarities between that house full of secrets and her new cottage on the beach. Will it help her solve the case before someone else is killed?

I love this series!

This time most of the story takes place away from the wonderful and amazing Bodie Island Lighthouse Library with Lucy and Connor settling in and working on their new home but that just added to my enjoyment of this series. These characters and all of the supporting cast have grown so much over the course of this series in very natural ways that it is a pure joy to visit them wherever they are.

There have been some staff changes at the library. I think it is fun that Louise Jane is now truly working there and living in Lucy’s old space but that hasn’t tempered her love of spreading her ghostly tales any chance she gets. She does get along well with the other new hire, Denise Robarts. Surprisingly even Lucy is getting along better with Louise Jane too, at least in small doses. I did love that Lucy was very confident about her place in the scheme of things and was stronger in dealing with people who had a tendency to push her too far than she had been before. Charles, the library cat, branched out in this story too. Traveling back and forth between Lucy’s home and the library is a big step for him. Some of his actions and reactions are quite comical and I love that he plays a key role in the story.

Again Ms. Delany had put forth one heck of a mystery. Finding a body at Lucy’s new home was a great way to introduce the place to readers, especially its history and secrets it may hold. It also gave way to introduce some very interesting new characters and their ties to the community and some of its residents. A character I had thought was gone from the area for good also returns with what appears to be a clear agenda. Putting all this together you have a marvelously plotted mystery with some terrific twists. The author delivered a robust mystery that kept me guessing almost to the very end and rapidly flipping those pages.

As always the setting for this story was heavenly. How wonderful to step out your back door and be right on the beach. The window views are fantastic as well. I would call the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library my literary happy place and now Lucy and Connor’s cottage on the beach is a close second even with the renovations not being quite complete. Sitting on that deck with a book in my hand enjoying the ocean’s sounds and breezes sounds absolutely idyllic to me.

Death by Beach Read was a fun and entertaining book that took me on a great virtual vacation. I can’t wait to return to the Outer Banks hopefully in time for Lucy and Connor’s wedding and all the other happenings Ms. Delany has in store for us.
I would like to know if we readers will be invited to Lucy and Connor's wedding. That is an event I would love to attend!
I've only read two books in this series, but I feel like I know her characters, that's how well the author has developed them. Her writing style flows seamlessly, sometimes in a line where the reader thinks they have the answers and other times in spirals with twists and turns that surprise the reader.
In Death by Beach Read, our beloved couple moves into an old beach house, in which a paranormal event supposedly happened many years ago: a teenage girl is exiled from her home by the ghost of her grandfather. After many years of being uninhabited, Lucy and Connor begin to remodel the house and from this moment on, the story begins to pick up speed and does not stop until it reaches an ending that, at least for me, left me surprised.
Lucy, Connor, and especially Charles are now part of my literary family, and I look forward to reading many more of their adventures.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Eva Gates has a new fan!
Death by Beach Read by Eva Gates is a Lighthouse Library Mystery featuring Lucy and her fiancé, Connor, who have just purchased a fine old house from Ralph Harper. It had been his grandparent's house and had sat empty for 15 years, since the death of his mother. He had been waiting for the right person and so had sold it to them for much less than its value. Conner and his dad, Fred, had been working in all their spare time to modernize it and repair things that just need a little TLC. It was coming along nicely and was beautiful. She and Connor had just moved in a week ago and tonight was to be her first night alone, as Connor was at a dental convention. She awoke in the middle of the night to a squeaky floorboard. She got up and wandered through the house, turning on lights as she went, finding nothing out of place. The same thing happened the next night but she found Charles, the cat, outside on the deck, having escaped through a sliding door that was open part way. She knew she had closed it, but she squeezed through and retrieved the cat and tried to sleep. Thankfully Connor was back the next day. All was good until they came home to find a dead man's body on the kitchen floor. And Detective Watson discovered a trap door opening leading to the outside in the pantry. What in the world?

Lucy is a terrific character, the assistant librarian at the library in the refurbished lighthouse. Connor is the mayor for their small town and works part time at his dental practice, as he knew he would be returning when his time as mayor was over. Ralph Harper was a lovely older captain of what was now a tour boat, but had been, for many years, a fishing boat. He lived with his sister, who was something of a recluse after a traumatic experience in the house and had never gone back. They are all excellent characters as are all the others that make up this small town experience. The library is the perfect backdrop for murder as so many members of the community circulate through the doors. This was a good mystery, rooted in the past, as well as in the current day. It's an enjoyable marriage of place and personality. I recommend it.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of Death by Beach Read by Crooked Lane, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #crookedlane #evagates #deathbybeachread