Cover Image: Death By Beach Read

Death By Beach Read

I listened to part of this book and read some of it on my Kindle.  I loved the narrator of the audio book.  Eva Gates has created a wonderful cast of characters in this series and each time I read one it is like catching up with old friends.  The Outer Banks setting and the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library add to the delight of this series.  The mystery involved both the present and the past and was well plotted throughout the book.  I enjoyed going along with Lucy as she tried to put the pieces of the mystery together.  This is a great book to read if you're at the beach or just wish you were.

I received a complimentary copy of this audio book from Dreamscape Media and the ebook from Crooked Lane Books through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Eva Gates(aka Vicki Delany) is consistently good with her cozy mysteries. Setting, plot lines, characters are all interesting and plausible. I always look forward to her books and am never disappointed. This one in particular is a favorite series. Thanks to #NetGalley and #DeathByBeachRead for advanced digital copy.
Death By Beach Read

A Lighthouse Library Mystery

By: Eva Gates

Crooked Lane Books

Publish Date 7 June 2022

Mystery & Thriller

#DeathbyBeachRead#NetGalley

100 Book ReviewsProfessional Reader

I would like to first thank both NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me to read and review this book.

Good Reads Synopsis:

Librarian Lucy’s new historic house comes with a lot of baggage and family secrets. Can she put them to rest or will a killer bring Lucy’s family to their downfall, in the 9th Lighthouse Library mystery.

It’s spring in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and Lucy and Connor have moved into their new home at last, a historic cottage on the Nags Head Beach. The house needs a lot of renovations, but they worked hard over the winter to get it ready. Lucy is now happily immersed in her work at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, planning her wedding, and decorating the house. That is, until a dead body disrupts their peaceful new abode.

The first night Lucy’s alone in the house, with the company of Charles the library cat, she hears sounds. Investigating they see footsteps in the dust of the unfinished living room, and the door to the outside is open. Lucy’s reminded that the house is said to be haunted: forty years ago the teenage daughter of the owners fled in the night, and never again stepped foot inside her family home.

But the sounds have an all-too-human origin and one evening Lucy and Connor find the dead body of a man they don’t even recognize in their kitchen. They soon realize he has a long-time connection to their house. Lucy’s forced to find out what happened all those years ago and why it’s threatening her happiness today.

Meanwhile, the Classic Novel Reading Club is reading The House of the Seven Gables by Nathanial Hawthorne, a book about another old house full of secrets. Can Lucy find parallels to her own situation in Hawthorne’s fiction before the killer strikes again?

Book Review:

This is book nine in the Lighthouse Library series. The story was great, and you get to know the characters in this story, but I would recommend that you start with the first book. There were a few gaps that you should know so you can follow the story line better. With that being said I really enjoyed the story.

Lucy and Connor have a bought a house together to start their lives together. Connor and his dad are fixing it up. The changes are great and trying to keep the historical value to the old home. While Connor is gone for a couple of days Lucy is home alone with her cat Charles. One night Charles wakes her up and she notices footprints in a room that is being fixed up. The Sliding door is slightly open and so Lucy goes to investigate some more. She doesn’t notice anything else so decides it was Connor’s or his dad’s footprints.

When Connor comes home, she asks him about it and says no the prints aren’t any of theirs’s. He goes and changes the locks and fixes the sliding door. Things continue on for a few days and then one day after an evening out with Connors parents they come home and find a body in their kitchen. How he got there they don’t know, nor do they know who he is.

They call the police, and they notice a resemblance to someone they know. They call this person, and he is able to tell them who he is and how he got into the house. The person they called is the previous homeowner and the body was his twin brother. The previous owner showed them a secret passageway under the pantry floor.

The passageway was his grandfather’s entrance to boot legging back in the days of prohibition. Connor of course quickly brocaded it. Why was the twin brother in their house we don’t know until later in the book? Who killed him and why?

You will have to read the book to find out. I love the relationship between Connor and Lucy. They know each other well and get along great. There is a lot of back stories in this book, and it was very intriguing to learn about.
I loved this fabulous new episode in the series! There are two big changes from the earlier novels that made this even better! I could visit the Bodie Island Lighthouse any time of year and enjoy it, especially the author’s version with a library in the lighthouse. The ocean, the famed Outer Banks, books, history, Charles (the library cat), and Lucy and her friends make this a favorite cozy series in which to escape. I always intend to savor each one but find myself racing to find what happens next.

Lucy, assistant director at the library, has moved out of her beloved Lighthouse Aerie into the home that she and her fiancé, Connor have purchased. Lucy is making plans for their wedding, one that I look forward to. Connor and his father are renovating the historic ‘unpainted aristocracy’ home they bought at an incredible price from Ralph, grandson of the original owner.

Connor is the mayor of Nags Head and a dentist. While he is the mayor, he only takes a few appointments and will return to it full time when his term is up. He was away for a few days for a convention, leaving Lucy home alone overnight in it for the first time. Charles, a very alert and intelligent cat, was upset at noises he heard, especially those coming from the second floor that is barricaded off until they are ready to work upstairs. Lucy was shocked to find the sliding door from the living room to the deck partially open. She tried to take photos of the boot prints in the living room. The second floor was still securely barricaded. Those prints could have been left by deliverymen during the day. The house is rumored to be haunted; his sister Jo has refused to return after an encounter many years ago.

A couple nights later, Connor and Lucy returned home after dinner to find Charles alerting them to the kitchen where Lucy finds a murdered man they didn’t recognize. He was Ralph’s twin brother, Jimmy, who had not been heard from for many years.

Since moving to town a couple years ago, Lucy has helped the local police solve several murders and is on a first-name basis with the detective who had once pegged her as a suspect. She planned to stay out of this case as the dead man isn’t anyone they knew, and there are no suspects among her family or friends. When what seems like an attack on their lives occurs, however, she’s all in. A woman claiming to be his wife said Jimmy went into the house to find a treasure his grandfather left him.

The more Lucy searches for Jimmy’s killer and the person trying to drive away or kill her and Connor, the more suspects she finds. Jimmy’s friends were a mostly unsavory lot who might do almost anything to get the treasure he talked about. The real whodunit was a complete surprise! It is a perfect mystery for someone like me as I like puzzles – and this one certainly kept me puzzled! I was satisfied with the ending, and there were no loose ends. And I am even starting to like the eccentric Louise Jane! I highly recommend this mystery and series!

From a thankful heart: I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley, and this is my honest review.
Death by Beach Read is book 9 of this series and I wish I had started this series from the beginning to truly get to know the characters. This story does have everything I enjoy including the beach, a library, a murder solved by a plucky heroine, and a sassy cat. I liked this book but I didn't love it, probably because it's part of a series and I didn't get all the background of the characters.
This is the ninth of the Lighthouse Library Mystery series and what a fun series it is! I have enjoyed reading them and always look forward to a new one. Afterall, what an imaginative and great idea to combine a library with a lighthouse, especially on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. In this addition, Lucy and Connor are living in their new house and renovating it in pieces. When a body is found in their kitchen, it brings back some old memories for residents and not good ones. Someone is trying to frighten Lucy by appearing at moments at night and during storms. The person whodunit is a surprise that I didn't see coming until it is almost revealed. This is a great mystery to watch unravel with recurring interesting and quaint characters in a lovely setting. I highly recommend for those who enjoy cozy mysteries in a coastal setting. Great summer read.
I received a complimentary copy from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are mine only.
As a lover of cozy mysteries, I knew I would be on to a winner with this 9th book in ‘A Lighthouse Library Mystery’ series! Death By Beach Read ticked all the right boxes before I had even started reading and the setting of a library in a lighthouse is incredibly alluring.

Eva Gates has drawn a lot of fun characters in this fabulous mystery. Likeable Lucy Richardson is a librarian who moved to the Outer Banks, North Carolina and she has a lot going on in this book. She is engaged to Connor McNeil and the two are now living together in an old house on the beach in southern Nags Head, that was in disrepair but is now being renovated by them. When Lucy hears noises during the night, she gets up to see what's happening but only finds dusty footprints. A few nights later, Lucy and Connor arrive home and there's a dead body on the kitchen floor.

It was great to be back with protagonist Lucy who possesses the necessary attributes of any great sleuth – intelligence, curiosity and keenness. There is a good number of characters in Death By Beach Read and Charles the cat is, of course, an ever-present favourite. The fluidity of the author's writing continues to impress, the details of the plot are very well executed and every chapter left me with a compelling need to read on. The author did a brilliant job of setting the scene and dropping clues whilst still making identifying the perpetrator challenging. I very much look forward to returning to the Outer Banks with Lucy in book #10 and reading the earlier books in the series that I've missed, too! So entertaining and engaging, Death By Beach Read is definitely well worth the time invested.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Crooked Lane via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Eva Gates continues to charm and intrigue in her newest addition to the Lighthouse Library mystery series.
Death by Beach Read is the ninth book in the series and we join Lucy as she renovates her newly purchased  home with her fiancee Connor. The historic cottage on the Nags Head Beach is rumored to be haunted and has been empty for years. When Lucy and Connor discover a dead body, Lucy once again finds herself drawn in to the investigation.
We are treated to the usual cast of characters and beautiful seaside atmosphere of the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Lucy is busy with wedding plans and her work at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, including her book club and its current read The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
I was disappointed when I realized Lucy would no longer be living in the Lighthouse, but I did enjoy the new beach house. The descriptions felt very vivid and cozy, and I will just have to adjust to the idea of Louise Jane occupying the Lighthouse eyrie above the Library.
I find the eccentric Louise Jane amusing, and it was fun to see her finally achieve her dream of working and living in the library.
I thought the mystery was solid and enjoyed following the investigation.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for an advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Death By Beach Read is the ninth book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series by Eva Gates.

Lucy and Connor have purchased a home on the beach in Nags Head, NC.  The house has been vacant for about ten years and needs renovation.  While Lucy has been busy planning their wedding, Connor and his father are working on the renovation.  The kitchen, master bedroom, and bathroom have been completed, and they have moved into their home.

The house was reportedly haunted, driving Ralph Harper and his sister from home.  Jo claimed a ghost told her to get out.  That caused them to move and to leave Jo a recluse.

One evening, while Connor is away at a conference, Lucy is asleep and senses Charles, the library cat pacing, then hears the floor squeaking.  She gets up and walks through the house but finds nothing suspicious until she sees shoe prints on the living room floor and the front door open.  A few nights later, Lucy and Connor arrive home from dinner to find a dead body on the kitchen floor near a trapdoor.  The victim had been strangled with Charles’s leash.  The victim is identified as Ralph’s twin brother, Jimmy, who has been gone for several years.

Lucy feels that she and Connor aren’t being targeted but will start asking any residents who might have known the Harper family back when Jo claims a ghost had told her to leave the house and not return.  When there is a minor fire at their home, Lucy knows she has to find the killer before she and Connor might become victims.

The story is well-plotted and reads at a good pace.  Most of the characters from the preceding books are back once again.  Louise Jane is back with her tales of ghosts but is not as irritating as I previously found her.  There were plenty of twists and turns that I was guessing until the end about who the killer was.

I am looking forward to the next book in this excellent series.
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Death by Beach Read is a great continuation of the Lighthouse Library series. This time, Lucy has to investigate about strange this that happened in her new house, both in the present and the past. It's interesting to see her piece everything together, for a satisfying conclusion. Also, I even found Louise Jane to be slightly less of a pain. Death by Beach Read is a fun cozy mystery with a good storyline. If you are new to the series, there are no spoilers, so you can backtrack to the beginning of the series and enjoy every single book. I am already looking forward to the next one.
Welcome back to the OBX and all the fun at the Lighthouse Library. This is a wonderful series that has lots of quirky characters and keeps the reader interested from the beginning to the last page. Loved it.
I have enjoyed the books in the Lighthouse Library series by Eva Gates. The characters are well developed. The mystery is well done and had me guessing until the very end. There were lots of clues that had you assuming certain characters were responsible. It was enjoyable to see how Lucy and Connor were fixing up their house and how their relationship has progressed. The characters who surround Lucy and are part of the Lighthouse Library are a unique group of individuals. They will help keep you invested in the story. Can’t wait for the next adventure with Lucy and the Lighthouse Library gang.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
I really enjoyed this cute cozy mystery.  Even though I haven't read the other books in the series, I had no trouble catching up with the characters and action in this book.   This was an interesting story that tied together a current day mystery with some events that happened in the past.  I had to go google photos of the unpainted aristocracy!  The house was almost another character in this book and I wanted to see what it looked like.
Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Lucy, the Librarian of the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, has finally found the perfect house for her and her fiancé, Connor, to start their new life together.  The house has great bones, but needs lots of love and attention.  Lucy is happily working at the library, on the old house and at planning her wedding, until the night Conner and she find a dead boy in the kitchen with a strange link to their house.

Death by Beach Read is a surprisingly fabulous cozy mystery I couldn’t put down.  The characters were quirky and the story twisty enough to hold my interest.  Although it is the ninth installment of the Lighthouse Library Mystery series, I didn’t feel like I was lost or missing anything as the author provided the perfect about of backstory needed.  This would make a great read for your beach bag this summer.
Lucy returns as she and Connor settle into their new home. There’s lots of work to be done. But there’s also some unsettling activity. Louise Jane would like to blame it on spirits as well as others. But Lucy feels differently.  When she finds a body in the kitchen, she’s off to solve this murder. This is an enjoyable mystery. And it’s fun seeing the new home evolve.
Death by Beach Read
A Lighthouse Library Mystery
by: Eva Gates
Crooked Lane Books
Pub Date: June 07, 2022
Mystery & Thrillers

Ninth in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series, Death by Beach Read is cozy, atmospheric, and suspenseful. Amid the beautiful Outer Banks of North Carolina, a historic cottage in Nags Head Beach harbors secrets and intrigue for new owners Lucy and her Mayor beau Connor. Their endearing and intuitive cat, Charles, is quite invested himself in solving a murder which happens in the cottage, along with Lucy and the entire community.

Her job at the Bodie Lighthouse Library plus planning her wedding keep Lucy busy, but life is interrupted as she works on solving the case of the mysterious dead body. Book and beach lovers will thrill with the Cape Hatteras National Seashore setting, plus a historical library and a Classic Novel Reading Club. I'd love a summertime visit to Nags Head to check out books from Lucy's Library and read them on a deck overlooking crashing waves, I'll gladly wait until the murder is solved, though!

Author Gates excels in providing details and descriptions of place which pull her readers in to the mystery and location. I had not read other books in this series, but felt this book could serve as a standalone. Like others, though, I would like to read the full set of books. I can't resist books featuring libraries, especially in such a gorgeous setting. This book will fit in nicely with the book collections of cozy mystery fans.

Thank you to Net Galley and Crooked Lane Books for the advance reader's copy and opportunity to provide my unbiased review.
 #DeathbyBeachRead #NetGalley #EvaGates #CrookedLaneBooks
Libraries, particularly one in an unique setting (a lighthouse!), the Outer Banks of North Carolina with an older house in need of renovations—the perfect combination for a perfect  read.  Lucy is busy making plans for her upcoming wedding, decorating their ongoing renovated house while still busy with her library duties.  Yet strange things are happening at the beach house.  Finding a dead body in their kitchen but who is this person and why would someone try to break and enter into this house after so long a time it has sat neglected?   There are a few suspects but the book Lucy has chosen for the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library Book Club is “House of the Seven Gables” and, along with the desserts always served at the meetings brings out a capacity crowd  thinking  they will hear more rumors of the victim.  I particularly liked this book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series for the way Lucy inspires her patrons and neighbors alike plus the warm relationship she has with her future in-laws.  Charlie, the library’s cat, is worth a read alone.  Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for an Advance Reader Copy and this is my unbiased review.
I have pretty much loved everything about this series, and this book continues with all my favorite things. It was a bit odd, at first, to see so little of Lucy in the library. But, since it’s still such a central focus of her life and we have Charles going most places with her, I’m okay with the change. This mystery ran circles around me. At no point did I have the correct suspect picked out. And even when we got to the big reveal, I was still caught off guard. I may have only just finished reading this book, but already I’m itching to get my hands on the next in the series.
I received a complimentary advanced copy of this book through NetGalley.
Lucy and Connor didn't exactly count on a ghostly roommate when they started working on fixing up the Harper house on the beach, but good ole Louise Jane's always hoping for a new haunt to talk about. Lucy didn't think for a minute that the noises she heard in their house had anything to do with a ghost but more like a flesh 'n blood intruder...which they'd find out soon enough when a guy was killed in their house.

OMG I was so unhappy to see that Diane, one of the nasty previous library board members was back in town and just wondered what kind of trouble she'd get into this time. Then we met Ralph's recluse sister Jo who surprised everyone by attending book club. Another woman came around claiming to be the dead guy's ex-wife and wanting her fair share of the house's sales. Was it one of them whodunit...or could one of Louise Jane's wishes come true, and the man was killed by a ghost? Not that she'd ever wish someone was killed by a ghost, but she sure likes talking about ghosts.

Lucy definitely had her plate full...again with juggling the murder and sometimes actually being asked to help Sam, she was planning her wedding, and there was pesky Diane back in town probably hoping to get back on the library board. What's a girl to do? Well for starters, you just cuddle a certain library cat named Charles. Speaking of Charles, he got to be a hero cat in this book-I always love when a pet gets to intervene and help. Poor guy, I felt bad for the cat having to get used to living in a house when he previously had full run of the library.

That showdown was something else, but Lucy used her head about at least part of it, and there was some good evidence to turn in. It was pretty sweet how poor, troubled Jo had gotten some closure for an event that'd still haunted her from long ago. And a nice older gentleman got a new friend in her. I'm really eager now for the next book figuring and hoping it's Lucy and Connor's wedding story. As in everything Lucy does, I'm sure it's gonna be an adventure-filled tale!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC provided by Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
Thank You to NetGalley for this free e-arc. All opinions are my own.

The Lighthouse Library Mystery series is my favorite series of all time with Harry Potter and The Infernal Devices and that says a lot!

What makes me always come back is the characters. They feel soo real I have a real problem. I refuse to acknowledge the fact that I will never be able to hang out at the Light House Librairy and I will always be crying over this.

This installment was one of my favorite because there is soo much change in the character dynamics! Some characters are finally moving, realizing a dream, getting back in the community... Let's say it was a ride! The mystery part was one of my absolute favorite in the series. I never saw it coming.

I really hope Eva Gates continue writing this series. Now, I'm going to wait at my window until the delivery man comes with my physical copy of this book!