Cover Image: Death By Beach Read

Death By Beach Read

Lucy and Connor have moved into their new home with extensive renovations. But a dead man appears on their kitchen floor and a former foe has popped up again. Domestic tranquility will have to wait.
I liked the new abode for the couple and the continuing community involvement. I thought the mystery was good and everything was wrapped up very well.
New relationships are sparked and some old wounds finally healed in this lovely little seascape on the Outerbanks. And don’t forget the cat!
This is the 9th book in the Lighthouse Library series and I had only read book 1. Even with that,  I didn't feel like I was missing anything.  Lucy and Connor have just bought a historic cottage right on Nags Head Beach that needs major renovations.  Connor and his dad are fixing it up and it's finally ready to move into parts of the house.  On her first night,  however,  she's on her own while Connor is at a conference or of town.  She and Charlie the cat both hear noises like someone is in the house.  The Cottage is rumored to be haunted,  but Lucy is insistent that the intruder was human. After generations of being owned by the same family,  the house has many secrets and Lucy is determined to get to the bottom of things,  especially after an unknown man with ties to the house is found murdered in her kitchen.
Implausible yet fun that this quirky small town librarian keeps finding so much trouble.  I love the thought of a library inside a lighthouse and was sad to see Lucy and Charlie move out of the apartment.  I need to catch up with the rest of the series now.
I received an advance reader copy of this book. The views and opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.
This was a fun cozy mystery set on Nags Head, North Carolina. I enjoyed the lighthearted story of Lucy the librarian preparing to get married, buying a fixer upper on the Outer Banks and, of course, a murder to solve. There were even some ghosty issues to deal with! Thank you Netgalley, Crooked Lane Books and the author for this eARC in exchange for my honest review.
We return to the Outer Banks of North Carolina where Lucy and Connor have found a home.  It needs renovations, but it is an unpainted aristocracy which is what they wanted, and it is in a terrific location (on the beach).  Lucy loves her job, her fiancé, and her new home.  She has started her wedding plans, but there are still many items to complete.  But then strange things begin to happen in the house.  Footsteps, doors left open, and footprints in dust in the unfinished living room.  The house is rumored to be haunted, but Lucy is not buying the paranormal explanation.  Then one evening, Lucy and Connor find a man dead in their kitchen.  When they learn the victim’s identity, Lucy discovers that the man had a connection to their home.  Lucy intends find out why the man was in their home, how he got in, and who killed him.  It is a coincidence that the Classic Novel Reading Club is reading The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  Lucy finds a few parallels between the book and what has been happening at her new home.  Lucy soon learns that her house troubles are not over.  Can Lucy clear up the mystery before the killer strikes again?  Death by Beach Read by Eva Gates is ninth A Lighthouse Library Mystery.  It can be read as a standalone, but you will be missing out on a delightful series.  I thought Death by Beach Read was well-written with realistic, developed characters.  I enjoy the wonderful descriptions of the Outer Banks.  I would love to live in that area.  All our favorite characters are back plus a couple of new additions.  Charles, the library cat, returns with attitude.  Charles is one smart cat and a good judge of character. The mystery was fun.  It was well-plotted with red herrings and good clues.  I like how the mystery ties into the book that the book club is reading.  I was delighted with the spookiness of the mystery.  I was able to solve the mystery early in the book, but that did not hinder my pleasure.  The reveal was exciting and provided the answers Lucy had been seeking.  I loved the descriptions of the unpainted aristocracy homes including Lucy and Connor’s.  I was sorry when my visit to the Outer Banks came to an end.  Death by Beach Read is a hauntingly good time with unpainted aristocracy renovations, baffling footsteps, a Nathaniel Hawthorne novel, a jolly Louise Jayne, a haunted history, a mystifying murder, and a fiery finish.
Death By Beach Read is book #9 in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series by Eva Gates.

Lucy and Connor are in their new home while the renovations are being completed.  Everything is going well until they find a stranger’s body in their home.

I enjoy reading stories based on the Outer Banks.  The characters, at least most of them, are wonderful.  I can only hope my cats would be as helpful as Charles. The history of the Lucy’s new house was interesting and added to the mystery. There were a lot of twists to keep me guessing who the guilty party was.  Lucy does need to learn that just because some knocks on your door, you don’t need to let them in.

Thank you to the author, Crooked Lane Books, and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
This is such a good series! There was less of a presence of the lighthouse library in this installment, but I didn’t feel that it detracted from the enjoyment of the story. The mystery was well done and kept you guessing. I thought the side storyline about the previous owners of Lucy and Connor’s house added an interesting component to the mystery.
This is an excellent series and even if not my favorite this was a good mystery full of twists as Eva Gates/Vicky Delaney is an excellent writer.
I missed a bit the atmosphere of the lighthouse but the new house is promising and I loved the creepy parts at the beginning.
The mystery is solid and I couldn't guess the motive even if I guessed the culprit.
I can't wait to read the next mystery
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Connor and Lucy have moved in together into a fifteen -year unoccupied beach house which needs work.  Connor and his father are enjoy doing most of the work themselves until Lucy finds a dead body in her kitchen.

I found the human story behind the previous owners intriguing.  It added a lot to the story. Also, the newest librarian staff member, Louise, isn’t threatened by Lucy.  She is still out there but not mean towards Lucy.
I can’t wait for the next installment.

I am thankful to Netgalley for allowing me to read an advanced readers’ copy and I am not required to leave a positive review.
In Death by Beach Read, librarian Lucy and her boyfriend Mayor Connor are fixing up their recently purchased beach house. The house is rumored to be haunted but it is a real corpse that Lucy finds on their kitchen floor.

Death by Beach Read is my least favorite book in the series. I really missed Lucy’s lighthouse apartment and the dynamics of the library staff that were so evident in the rest of the series. However, the book  would still make a good beach read. The characters are relatable, and the mystery is relatively easy to solve. Overall, for me, a disappointed 3 stars.

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for a digital review copy of the book.
Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught!
Thank you Netgalley for an ARC.

I read this story unaware that it was part of a series. Despite that, I found myself enjoying this, and found that this was able to be read as a standalone read. (and being able to quickly enjoy the characters introduced)

This story follows Lucy and Connor who have moved into their dream home, a historic cottage on the Nags Head Beach. The cottage itself has its own history, involving the family of the previous owners, which seems to have an effect presently.

I really enjoyed this mystery read, and found myself guessing who the ultimate culprit was throughout the entire read.
A true cozy mystery with a well thought-out plot.

This is the ninth book in the series; however, it is my first Eva Gates book. Coming from the standpoint of not reading the previous installations, I really thought that Death by Beach Read held up well as a stand-alone title.

The only part of the book that gave me pause was Mr. Snider. Something about him and Joe made me feel off. That feeling may go away with further character development but the interactions between them left me a little uncomfortable in this installation.

The book kept a good pace, introduced several interesting secondary characters, and left me wanting to read more about Lucy's adventures. I will certainly be looking into the previous titles to fully catch-up on this series.
When Lucy and her fiancé Connor buy the old Harper house in Nags Head, they end up getting a little more than they bargained for. Being an old house it needs a lot of work, comes with a lot of history and is even rumored to be haunted. Lucy has a few unexplained encounters that leave her a little on edge, and when the couple come home one night to a dead body in their kitchen, they quickly realize there’s more history to this house than they anticipated. What ties does the man have to the house and why on earth would anyone want him dead? Lucy is all for helping the police investigate, but is she prepared for what they’ll uncover in the process?
Thank you Netgalley, Crooked Lane Books and Eva  Gates for the opportunity to read and review this little gem! This is book nine in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series. I have not yet read the books leading up to this one in the series, and while I was able to enjoy the this as a stand-alone, I recommend reading the others before diving into this one. I am a sucker for cozy mysteries and after reading this one, I’ll be adding this series to my list! The book was a fairly quick and easy read. I loved the characters and the fact that there is a lighthouse library involved just makes it that much more appealing! If you’re a cozy mystery fan, be sure to check this book out! I’m rating this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This series has such a wonderful setting with Lucy living and working in the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library.  All the previous books were set in the library with a few excursions out but mostly centered in the library. At some point a series must grow and items that worked well together have to be separated.  I missed the library in this one as it wasn’t prominently featured, instead focusing on Lucy and the house she has purchased with her fiancé, Connor and I feel it lost a lot of its charm.  The mystery was interesting but never quite caught my interest.  I hope the series returns to the library.
Death By Beach Read is number nine in the Lighthouse Library Mystery Series.  Lucy and Connor have purchased their dream house on Nags Head Beach.  It needs a lot of updating and repair work.  Connor and his father are doing the work in their spare time.  The house comes with a history and that history includes stories of a ghost.  When Lucy spends the night alone in the house, she hears things that seem to point to the ghost story being true.  When Lucy and Connor find a dead body in their kitchen who is connected to the family they purchased the house from, it is up to Lucy to help figure out the connection.  I have read some of the Lighthouse Library series before.  I enjoyed this one but they kept mentioning things that had happened in the past the I either have not read about or forgotten.  The mentions weren’t relevant to this story and almost seemed like an intrusion to me.  All in all, I enjoyed the book and will be reading more of the series.
Death by Beach Read has perhaps a bit of a slow start, but it picks up within a few chapters, and soon we are back to our friends at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library and Nags Head, North Carolina.

The focus on Lucy and Connor’s new house is an engaging setup, and keeping the entire episode there expands the locale of the series significantly. The mystery is woven well into the richer, deeper ongoing saga, even if a couple of the characters and elements of the backstory seem a bit forced. Overall, Death by Beach Read is a satisfying visit to the shore, and I look forward to returning soon.

Audio: As the narrator for earlier books in the series, Elise Arsenault is comfortable in the style and characters, which makes a comfortable experience for the listener. I was able to marathon listen as I relaxed, perfect for a summertime release.

Thank you to Eva Gates, EliS Arsenault, Crooked Lane Books, and NetGalley for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
(4.5 Rounded up)

I received a complimentary ARC copy of Death by Beach Read (Lighthouse Library Mystery # 9) by Eva Gates from Net Galley and Crooked Lane Books in order to read and give an honest review.

… a fun, intriguing, cozy mystery replete with a cleverly crafted plot, great atmosphere as well as a brilliant and quirky cast of characters…

A fan of The Lighthouse Library Mysteries, this ninth entry, Death by Beach Read was another wonderful addition to the series.

We open with Lucy and Connor settling into their new home and in the process of planning their wedding, life for them is good although so much work is still to be done. Since their home had stood abandoned for years and with the legend that had surrounded scaring people away, the house had fallen into a neglected state. When Connor is on a business trip and Lucy is woken up in the middle of the night by Charles the cat alerting her to the sound of footsteps in the house, a whirlwind of events begins. From a ghostly legend, family secrets, the return of a troublesome character and a body in their kitchen, Lucy is on the case trying to put the pieces together in order to preserve her sanity…and her life.

This was a fun, intriguing, cozy mystery replete with a cleverly crafted plot, great atmosphere as well as a brilliant and quirky cast of characters. Although I miss Lucy living in the lighthouse, I feel the character is growing along with the changes, making the series feel fresh, in my opinion. My one criticism and not to give spoilers, it felt there were loose ends that were not really addressed which left the reader hanging just a bit. Overall, I love this series and I thoroughly enjoyed Death by Beach Read, I would highly recommend it!
Lucy and Connor have the chance to buy an old beach house and they take the plunge. It's been vacant for fifteen years and the current owners didn't want to sell it to just anybody. Lucky for Lucy and Connor they click with the owners and take possession of a house in need of repairs. Once Connor and his father, with some help from friends, have redone the kitchen, deck and the second floor it will be the house of their dreams. Before that can happen, it's looking more like a nightmare. While Connor is at an out of town conference Lucy twice hears creaking floorboards and it's not because the house is old. Charles, the library cat (who comes home with Lucy every night) is acting edgy. Upon Connor's return they go out for dinner only to return to find a dead man in their kitchen. How did he get in when all of the doors and windows are locked and the doors had just been re-keyed? Let the sleuthing begin as Lucy, Connor, the local police and Charles the cat all try to unmask a killer.
With this, the ninth in the series, Lucy has made big changes in her life. She's still the librarian but no longer living at the lighthouse. Her wedding plans are aimed at a wedding a year out and that means picking out a dress, flowers, invitations not to mention who she well invite. Helping the police find a killer, one who knows more about their home than they do, will keep some of those issues on hold. Questions like why has one of the previous owners refused to set foot in the house for decades ? and, once the identity of the dead man is revealed, what had he been doing in those same decades? Exposing secrets and ghosts are the order of the day.
If you are new to this series that's fine as it works as a stand alone. The pace is nice and slow with a lovely setting and many recurring characters - some more welcoming  than others. The mystery itself builds nicely to the final reveal and I found it to be a very welcome stress reliever.
My thanks to the publisher Crooked Lane and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Spring is blooming in the Outer Banks, Lucy and Connor have finally moved into their historic cottage right on the beach. As the work on the house is finished Lucy and Connor are ready to make it their home. Now Lucy is focusing on her work at the lighthouse library, planning her wedding and decorating their new home. Well, until a dead body is found at their new home.  On her first night staying home alone Lucy here sounds and sees foot prints and a place there should be none.  They have a house with history and with that person comes baggage.To settle her own mind and get to the bottom of what’s going on, Lucy is forced to find out what the baggage of the past is that is now threatening her future.

I absolutely adore the Lighthouse Library Mystery Series and Death by Beach Read is really something. The mystery is well plotted and the pacing of the book is perfect.  I feel Lucy made a lot of personal growth between the last book and this book. She doesn’t take everything that everyone says at face value and is standing up for herself and away I have not seen her down before. I really like that about her. I also love that her and Connor are starting their lives together. They haven’t made it to the altar yet but I know it’s got to be coming soon. Fingers crossed. Eva Gates Draws you in with her wonderful characters, the lovable cat Charles and a mystery that keeps you guessing. This series truly does get better with each book.
“Death by Beach Road” by Eva Gates
Release Date: 6/7/22

Thank you Netgalley for this ARC. This is the ninth book in this cozy mystery series. I had not read any of the prior books and was still able to follow along. They refer to some things that Happen in the past for Lucy’s life, but you can read them out of order! I really enjoyed this cozy mystery.

Lucy and Connor have bought the old Harper house and are fixing it up before they get married. Lucy works In the local library and Connor is the Mayor. When odd things keeps happening around their house they question if the old stories of it being haunted is true. Then a body shows up in their kitchen. Lucy can’t help but to investigate the murder.