Cover Image: Operation Do-Over

Operation Do-Over

This book has echoes of another  amazing Korman offering, Restart, but takes the idea of second chances even further with time travel! I loved how the message that everyone is capable of seeing others in a new light and I especially love that not every loose end gets tied up. It was a favorite of my 4th grade son!
My students and I cannot get enough of Gordon Korman’s stories. He definitely knows the middle grade audience, and he keeps readers interested with relatable friendship and family problems. In this case, the main character gets to experience time travel and possibly have a “do over”-by preventing a sequence of negative events from taking place. However, this proves to be more difficult than he initially thought. Great story!
I received a complimentary copy of Operation Do-Over from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

First of all, I LOVE Gordon Korman.  Students (and teachers alike!) love his easily relatable and digestible plots in which to get absorbed!  This novel was no exception.

This novel is the story of a boy whose one bad decision changes his life, giving the reader time to contemplate Mason's decisions concerning his friends right along with him.  Following a freaky accident, Mason has the opportunity to relive the last 5 years, making better choices concerning Ty, his best friend since preschool, and Ava, the new girl who threatens that friendship, the second time around.  Overall, this is a very feel-good novel with some fun time-travel thrown in for good measure.  I really enjoyed this book.

Thank you to NetGalley, publisher and Gordon Korman!
Gordon Korman just never disappoints!  I'm a big fan of 'time travel' books AND I grew up when "Back to the Future" was released, so this was a bit nostalgic for me even though I'm not the target audience! A great book for middle grade classrooms.  Would make a fun book club pick for literature circles.
Love this story. Time travel in a way thats not too  science like. It's very readable for a wide range of kids.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I have read a great many Gordon Korman books, and I feel safe in saying this is my favorite, though I’m trying to pinpoint exactly why. It has a lot of what makes Korman’s books great: a school setting, humor, a flawed but imminently likable protagonist, and redemption. Korman really understands the concerns and interests of middle grade kids, and manages to create believable characters time and time again.

I loved Korman’s message that we both are, and are not, in charge of our own fates, and that he forces us to think about what we’d change about our life’s decisions, if we could. When Mason goes back in time and decides to try to do things differently, he almost approaches his life with no fear because he (mostly) knows what’s coming. It is very thought-provoking and I think will encourage kids to consider their choices and relationships. I highly recommend this book.
After reading the blurb for this book, I was a little worried it would be too similar to my favorite of Gorman's, "Restart" and that my continuous comparisons would prevent me from enjoying it. I'm happy to say that my fears were entirely unfounded because Operation Do-Over is most definitely its very own story, and a really fun one at that.

Mason makes a terrible mistake when he's 12: he chooses a girl over his best friend, and the ripple effects of that bad decision haunt him for the next five years. Then, when he's 17 and everything that could possibly go wrong has, Mason gets in a car accident...and wakes up 12 years old again, before his choices messed everything up. Is he dreaming? Did he time travel? Who cares? Mason has a chance to fix everything, to do it all over again but do it right this time. But what if fate makes certain events inevitable? And what if some things happen for a reason and changing them creates a whole host of different problems that Mason never saw coming?

This was a fun read with important life lessons hidden among laughs, hijinks and the love of a good pet, Gordon Korman's recipe that never fails to entertain.
I love Gordon Korman books and my students do too so I was eager to read his newest release, Operation Do-Over. This book seemed to target an older audience than his last couple which I appreciate. The story is half set in middle school and half set in high school and in typical Korman form, the story is revealed a piece at a time with different perspectives (and this is an interesting talking point because high school Mason knows different things than current middle school Mason - what do we wish we knew then that we know now?). The ending was perfect - Operaion Do-Over will be a fantastic addition to my class library. Thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to preview #OperationDoOver - I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to his next release!
I am a fan of Gordon Korman. This book was a great addition to his collection. Restart is one of the to checked out books at my school and this will be high on the list as well. This helps readers see the power of one choice.
Operation Do-Over is another hole-in-one by Gordn Korman.
He really gets his middle grade audience. I read this with my 12 year old and she said it was her favorite Korman since The Unteachables. That's high praise as she was obsessed with that one for quite a while.
We really enjoyed the time travel aspect of this book, as that plot device is not quite as overused in middle grade fiction as it in in the sci-fi world. Finally that cover... well that's just the cutest anyway!
In true Gordon Korman fashion, this book leaves you wanting more! A fun "what if" scenario: what if you could go back a few years and do over part of your life. What would you do differently? Would your whole life change because of the new decisions you made? Would you be proud of the new person you've become? A fun, thought-provoking MG read! I'd definitely recommend this book to fifth-graders and beyond. Middle school kids would likely enjoy it most, but readers of all ages will get a lot out of it!
Mason’s life spirals out of control in 7th grade when he and his best friend like the same girl. When a freak storm at the annual Harvest Fest  leads to an innocent kiss that iis caught on camera, Mason and his best friend now become enemies. 5 years into the future events lead to Mason’s expulsion and a collision with a Furniture Truck sends Mason back in time as his 12-year-old self with the a chance to do it all over again. Mason makes new choices that sets his life on a different path, one that hopefully will save his friendship and his life.
Written in typical Gordon Korman humor, this title feels like a rush of event to even that  that will leave readers with bated breathe as to what will happen next. Will Mason make it back to the future and what will the future look like for him.
I really liked this book! The plot was sweet and I liked the way we got to see the "do-over" that happened. It's a great book.
If you ever wondered, if you went back in time what would you do differently, then this is the book for you.  Mason and Ty are best friends until Ava enters the picture.  They both have a crush on her and she eventually tears their friendship apart.  But when Mason is in an accident and is knocked back to the year that Ava entered their lives, would Mason try to change the outcome to save his friendship or is history doomed to repeat itself?

A great book about navigating relationships, rethinking choices, and filled with humor!
I have always enjoyed reading Gordan Korman's books and Operation Do-Over is no exception. This book combined humor with life lessons and some nerdiness. Mason and Ty have been best friends forever and are "two nerdy sides of the same coin" until a girl comes between them in seventh grade. When Mason is seventeen, he time travels back to seventh grade is determined not repeat the same mistake. This book alternates chapters as between Mason as a seventh grader and Mason as a seventeen-year-old.

At the beginning of the book, so many life events happen to Mason: he loses Ty as a friend, he gets expelled from school as a 7th grader, he gets the girl, and we find out his parents divorce and his beloved dog is killed between 7th grade and seventeen. Mason works so hard after he time travels back to seventh grade to change these events. You are chomping at the bit to find out how his life plays out. Because as we have seen in the movies, there are always ripple effects and Mason will find out, you can't always change fate.

Thanks to Net Galley for this ARC!
I loved this story about evolving friendships and how to come back from the mistakes we all make with those we love. With a 'Back to the Future' esque plot, Mason and Ty are the best of friends - the kind that complete each other's nerdy thoughts and sentences - until Ava shows up in 7th grade. The biggest problem is that she's great. She loves science as much as they do, is nice, interesting, and pretty. She's so great that they make a pact to not "like" like her. But...when Mason violates that pact, their friendship is ruined forever. When 17-year-old, high school senior Mason is given a chance to go back in time and make a different choice, he does. But, will it change the future? Read to find out. A very compelling read with excellent, relatable characters that are typical of the beloved author Gordon Korman. Highly recommend this book for fans of stories that tackle real kid issues with a touch of sci-fi.
Operation Do-Over will keep readers turning the pages because they will be so invested in finding out what the results of Mason’s do-over will be! Who hasn’t wanted to find out if things would have gone differently if you had just chosen a over b or did this instead of that? This book allows readers to explore that particular curiosity a bit. The plot is intriguing and makes you wonder. The concepts will encourage conversations about the hypothetical, what’s possible, and the consequences. The ending will warrant discussion. Because it is a book with the potential to spark lots of conversations, it would work well for a book club or lit circle. Like Korman has done time and time again, the characters are written in such a way that they are so interesting and they pull you into their world. I’ll definitely be adding it to our collection. I predict our copies will be just as work out and well-loved from high circulation as some of Korman’s other titles that fly off our shelves like Restart, Masterminds, and Slacker.
Gordon Korman writes expertly again with a tale that draws the reader in to the “what if.” What would you do if you got a “do-over?” Readers of  Restart will enjoy this different story of getting another chance of making life right.
Mason and Ty are best friends until, you guessed it, a girl enters the picture. So starts the decline of their relationship. Fast forward five years and Ty and Mason are still on the outs and the girl that caused the rift tries to stay friends with both of them. It’s obvious that that won’t happen and when they both choose the same type of science fair project, disaster happens with devastating consequences for Mason.
This sets up the “do-over” for Mason. Can decisions his new 12 year old self makes salvage his relationship with Ty so they can remain best friends? It’s hard to put down this book once you start reading—you want to find out how it all turns out!
Lately I’ve been binging all of Korman’s books and LOVING them. They are all different and unique, yet teach young readers lessons about their own lives. This book was no different. Mason and Ty struggle with day to day middle&high school lives, but with a time traveling twist.