Cover Image: Souls of Fire and Steel

Souls of Fire and Steel

My fault in requesting this book. I didn’t know it was apart of a series. So I didn’t finish it as I did not know what was going on. But that’s on me.
I got this novel from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When I requested to read it, I didn't know it was part of a series. So I dove right in anyway. The story is told in alternating perspectives: Lira, Reyker and the dragon.  I enjoyed the different perspectives and what their view points had to offer. I also really enjoyed the immersion in Icelandic culture and mythology.
Lira is a death bringer. In order to save the love of her life, Reyker, she swears her allegiance to her worst enemy and commits many atrocities in his name.
Reyker is the dragon's brother. And now he must find himself again and destroy his own family to save the world.
The dragon wants to rule the whole world: both humans and gods and he's willing to sell his soul to accomplish his dreams.

Reyker and Lira were in love in the past. And now they are on opposite sides. Can their love survive the impending wars and battles? Will they find their ways back to each other?

I LOVE how many terrible choices that Lira is faced with. She has to make life and death decisions throughout the entire novel. It makes it feel more real. I was totally immersed into the story.
Audio review first: Really enjoyed both narrators, especially Alanna Kerr Collins, who I've been a fan of since I listened to the Bone Season.

We were back to a relentless, even frenetic pace, in this final book of the trilogy. One thing you can say with certainty is that Lire and Reyker are not the same people they were at the beginning. While this fantasy trilogy does have a focus on the romance between the leads, the spotlight is simultaneously on defeating the antagonist - a man who is trying to become a god and is becoming a monster by his actions. There are times when you don't much like either of the MCs and the fact that the conflict is almost exclusively external and usually very physical is somewhat exhausting. That said, those who like visceral fantasy with lots of action will definitely appreciate this.

I have really enjoyed this series with the same few reservations I've had since the start - all of which are largely matters of personal taste. (More sense of place, more reflective passages, higher proportion of wins and variance in pace, the MCs not constantly getting recaptured or repeating mistakes etc)

One thing it's definitely not is dull. If you like action packed fantasy with gods, demons and magic, give it a try.
Souls of Steel and Fire, is the 3rd book in the Frozen Sun Saga by Jill Criswell.  Criswell weaves a fantastical and breathtaking world filled with gods, goddesses, and the mortals caught in their machinations. The main characters were complex and intriguing, as they struggled to overcome every obstacle thrown into their path. Lira and Reyker's choices had unexpected results, but they endured.  I fell in love with the story and the characters, but the gory details in some of the battle scenes was overwhelming for me.