Cover Image: Better Off Wed

Better Off Wed

When Laura meets Lord Sterling, while she is posing as Lady Sterling, sparks fly.  Laura is out to help women put in bad situations by men in authority, Lord Sterling has been set with a task from the Home Office of discovering if she is good or bad. What they find is that they are both after the same person, but will they find love in the process.

Susanna Craig writes wonderful romance full of adventure.
Had to say this story really didn’t call to me, despite my feeling so enthusiastic initially. The mishmash of two main characters with the same surname having to bounce around sustaining their characters had immense appeal. Particularly when you add in Laura Hopkins, alias Lady Sterling’s avid pursuit of powerful men who abuse women, especially those in their employ. And then there’s the reluctant Jeremy Addison, Viscount Sterling working as a spy and code breaker for government, who is charged with finding the renegade Lady Sterling and turning her skills towards the cause, winning the Napoleonic war.
A slow read for me.
Not typically one for spy stories but I really like this series. Romance, intrigue, a little suspense, vigilante heroine and fake marriage… what’s not to love about it? Looking forward to reading more in the series in the future this 3rd book was a nice addition.
A charming "road" romance with a fake marriage.  A very enjoyable read.

Laura Hopkins goes undercover as Lady Sterling in order to help women who are taken advantage of by their employers and works to get restitution for them.  Little does she know that Lord Sterling truly exists.

Our hero, Jeremy Addison inherited a bankrupt viscountcy from a distant cousin and doesn't use the title.  Jeremy works as a code breaker for the Crown and is ordered by his superior to investigate Lady Sterling to make sure she is not dangerous to the Crown.

He discovers she is on the way to the home of a disreputable Earl and follows her.  Laura is stranded at an Inn after a carriage accident in a storm and the disreputable Earl has stopped there on his way to his home.  Jeremy comes across them and accidentally gives her away when he sees a watch she had stolen from "a victim" Jane claims to be his wife and Jeremy plays along.  Jane has suffered an ankle injury in the accident and the Earl invites them both to his home to be seen by a physician and enjoy their wedding night.

So, Jane and Jeremy pretend to be married and use the time to discover the Earl's secret and try to help his female employees who are afraid of him..   They fall in love but Jeremy doesn't believe he can ever marry.

There is danger when the Earl discovers that he's been found out.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley but the opinions expressed are my own.
You should read this book if you, like me love some of the best tropes.
-Spies
-Forced proximity
-Only one bed ( let's be honest, we all love this one.)
- Fake relationship

I have truly enjoyed all three  books in this series so far! Better Off Wed was no exception.
Laura Hopkins is righting wrongs done to women employed by wealthy and titled men as her alter ego Lady Sterling. Lord Sterling is a spy and codebreaker for the crown and is sent after her while she is on her latest mission. The two of them are forced into pretending to be newlyweds. I love how they play act scenes from bad plays to further their farce!

This was a very enjoyable and cleverly written book. I can't wait for the next installment in the Love and Let Spy series!

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is book 3 in the Love and Let Spy series and we meet spy and viscount, Jeremy. He doesn’t like using his title, Lord Sterling, until he’s ordered to, because they need to find out what the woman calling herself Lady Sterling is doing. Lady Sterling is really Laura Hopkins, who robs men who abuse women. When they discover a conspiracy, things turn interesting when they try to get to the bottom of that mystery while faking a marriage which leads to many funny moments but a sweet relationship with a little bit of spice.

Laura and Jeremy were a great H/h and watching them grow closer while trying to figure of who’s sending messages to the French. I do wish they were developed a little better as individual characters. What I thought felt flat was the actually spy plot. Once we connect all the dots and that story come together, there actually are a ton of plot holes that are never explained.

I read the first book in the series, but not the second. Maybe the critiques I have for this book would have been answered if I read both books but I don’t think I’m going to go back and read that one. I’m sure other people enjoyed this more than I did. 2.5 stars, rounded up to 3 because there were still enjoyable and funny parts to this book.
I have not had the opportunity to read other books by Ms. Craig, so I've missed out on the first two books of the series. But I can guarantee you that after reading and enjoying this one, I will be going back to read those as well. This is an entertaining and engaging story that was a delight to read. It captivated me from the very start and held my attention all the way through. There is just a  certain thrill when it comes to spies in the context of Regency. Laura is an avenging angel of sorts, taking from men who are predators and giving to the women they have wronged. Jeremy is a spy and has been given the task of investigating and recruiting her. They end up joining forces and pose as a married couple to take down a disreputable earl. As dangerous as their charade may be, there's no stopping the sparks that fly between them. This was such a fun and romantic read with just the right amount of mystery and suspense. I had such a great time reading this book! I will definitely be looking for more by this author!

I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
Lady Sterling meets Lord Sterling, sparks fly and mystery is solved. Great characters, things got a little slow in the middle of the story while Lady Sterling was laid up with an ankle injury. 3 stars.
I've been reading Susanna Craig since her debut. It wasn't long before her witty banter, impeccable research, complex storylines, and intriguing, fully-developed characters made her one of my auto-buy authors. All of those facets, and more, are on full display in her newest novel: Better Off Wed.

If you've been reading this series, and you were around in the 80's, you may have already noticed that each book is inspired by a popular 1980's television show. This one takes its inspiration from one of my favorites, Remington Steele, offering up original characters and a fresh storyline - set in a different era - but imbued with the wit, charm, and chemistry that made the TV series so enjoyably addictive.

Laura and Jeremy are wonderful together and I adored them both. How could I not love Laura's determination to protect those women and girls with no voice or agency, at the mercy of entitled men? And kind, honorable, brilliant, bookish, virginal Jeremy. ::Sigh:: I do love a hero who is a virgin - for reasons - and Jeremy is one of my favorites. These two together had my heart happy dancing for so many reasons. The chemistry, respect, understanding and support of one another that grew, along with love, over the course of their story had me firmly in their corner, cheering them on the whole way.

I especially enjoyed how Craig intertwined the evolution of their romantic relationship with the mystery element of the story. Both sides progressed forward apace, never falling too heavily to either side, keeping me eagerly turning pages to discover what would happen next.

One of the things I like about this series is that while there is a common thread - a matchmaking spymaster - each of the books in the series stands alone and they can be enjoyed in any order. If you haven't started reading the Love and Let Spy series yet, feel free to jump in with Better Off Wed. It has my enthusiastic recommendation.

4.5 Stars
ARC received for fair and unbiased review
I absolutely loved the first and second books the Love and Let Spy series with the second one being my favorite so far.  Better Off Wed is the third book in this series and a bit different in my opinion than the prior two.  You don't need to read any of these books in a particular order or they can be read as stand-alone books.

This book follows a fake marriage trope, which I don't actually read all that much of.  I loved how it was written into the plot and interwoven with the mystery and suspense of Laura Hopkins pulling off her ultimate act as Lady Sterling.  I loved how much of the hero's (Captain Jeremy Addison aka Vicscount Sterling) best traits were revealed while posing as Laura's husband and helping her further her agenda as Lady Sterling.  Jeremey is trustworthy, dependable, somewhat demure and completely swoonworthy.  He is very much a gentleman through and through.

All in all I loved reading this and the only reason I ended up giving it four stars was because it took me awhile to get into and I did not love it as much as the second book in the series.  I am looking forward to the next book in the series that you get a preview of at the end of this one.

Thank you to Netgalley and Kensington book for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.  All of the above opinions are of own.
my sort of story with spy's/intrigue so I expected to like this which I did. However I wasn't expecting the humour it was very funny in places like a historic rom com. This is the first of these I have read but will not be he last.
I received this book from netgallery in exchange for an honest review as given above.
This is the first book I read from this author and I really enjoyed it.
Miss Laura Hopkins uses the alias Lady Sterling to help young women who have been mistreated or compromised by their employers. But while in pursuit of her latest target, Laura is unexpectedly aided by a gentleman who announces that he is Lord Sterling.
As a spy for the Crown, Captain Jeremy Addison, Viscount Sterling, has been assigned to investigate Lady Sterling. Forced to pose as newlyweds at the home of a disreputable earl, Laura and Jeremy forge an unexpected alliance…and a passionate connection. But can such a dangerous masquerade possibly lead to a real, lasting love?
I had my issues with Laura at the beginning of the story, but she started to grown on me during the book. I love the idea of strong, smart women and she was one of those. Jeremy is the perfect gentleman and is always trying to find a better way to help these women.
They work great together and you can see the attraction in the pages. I would have enjoyed steamer scenes between them but it’s pretty much a slow burn romance kind of book.
The writing is flawless and engaging.
I'm really enjoying the Love and Let Spy series, and this latest instalment is not exception. Laura Hopkins is masquerading around town as Lady Sterling, avenging the women who have been mistreated and wronged by wealthy men who employ them. Her rouse is going well until Lord Sterling, a codebreaker for the Crown, is sent after her. Posing as newlyweds, the two begin to investigate their respective crimes only to begin to fall for one another.

This was enjoyable - suspenseful and light-hearted at the same time. Both Lord and Lady Sterling have great chemistry together and while initially skeptical of each other, begin to form trust.

There are plenty of my favourite tropes - forced proximity/only one bed, fake relationship, spies, codebreaking, sassy heroines and bookish heroes.
A fun, romantic, suspenseful, satisfying story that I absolutely loved! Of course that is not surprising as anything from this author I have read has been wonderful.

She is determined to avenge the women wronged by rakes, including those in the employment of said rakes.  Lady Sterling is her calling card name and she puts those rakes in a compromising position and obtains retribution for those wrongs and usually something valuable to give back to the women!

Unfortunately, on a mission to one such "Lord's" house, her carriage breaks down and she is injured and thrown into the company of the true "Lord Sterling" and ends up having to pretend to be his wife!

What she does not know if that Lord Sterling wanted to make her acquaintance at the request of the crown, but he never expected the situation that happened! Great addition to this series!
Better Off Wed is the third book in the Love and Let Spy series, could be read as a stand alone, though there is an over arching mystery to the series (still unsolved in this book, but getting closer to the conclusion).

I enjoyed the characters in this book a great deal.  Laura poses as "Lady Sterling" to help young women who are being mistreated or abused by their employers.  Captain Jeremy Addison, Viscount Sterling, is a code breaker / spy for the Crown.  Through a series of mishaps, Laura and Jeremy pose as newlyweds in order to further their respective causes.

There was just enough of the mystery interwoven in the romance, which I like, this is a romance book after all.

Tropes:  forced proximity, secret identities, one bed

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  The thoughts and opinions are my own and freely given.
A spy romance with a pretend relationship and there's only one bed!
Miss Laura Hopkins steals money and secrets from rich men who think they can take advantage of women and get away with it under the guise of Lady Sterling. Captain Jeremy Addison, Viscount Sterling, is a code breaker for the crown ordered to find Lady Sterling and figure out if she'd be willing to work for them. They meet in a very unexpected fashion and are forced to pretend that they are indeed married in order to gain entry into the house of a man who Laura knows is in the bad habit of abusing the women who work under his roof. Thus begins a fun tale of discovery for Laura and Jeremy, as a couple, as individuals, and in the pursuit of everything they work for.
Craig does a great job of mixing in elements of fun, romance, intrigue, and drama to create a story that continually entertains and keeps things interesting. Laura and Jeremy are the perfect couple that doesn't realize it until the ideal romantic end and reading their story is satisfyingly fun.

Very happy thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the exciting read!
Spymaster General Scott is at it again! Mixing business with pleasure and matchmaking with his spies!

Captain Jeremy Addison, Viscount Sterling is used to his behind the scenes work codebreaking for the crown, until he is assigned d a special case… finding the mysterious Lady Sterling who has been stealing from the aristocracy. General Scott casually suggests that he may want to marry the enigmatic lady when he finds her since they already share a title!

Lady Sterling, aka spinster Miss Laura Hopkins is not your common thief- more like a Robin Hood! She steals from the rich, who abuse their powers and gives back to the victims to start over. She is about the embark on one of her most difficult nob to nab, when an accident lands her in the arms of the Viscount Sterling! Lady Stirling works alone, but it seems her fake husband is also after the same man- a most convenient coincidence!

As these two start to work together under the guise of marriage they both get closer to the their working goal, find themselves in danger and manage to fall for each other!

This was a fun Robin Hood retelling and I loved Lady Sterling’s conviction for her cause. Captain Addison was a darling as he played along with Miss Hopkins and they both discovered more about their true wants and that perhaps two is better than one in the end!

This was a great historical romance with an intriguing plot. I feel like spying definitely took more of a backseat to the romance in this book, compared to the other- but I was too into the romance to care! Bonus: the teaser in the epilogue hints at a series favourite being the next spy to fall in love! I can’t wait!

Better Off Wed by Susanna Craig was released December 28th, 2021.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Kensington Book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Laura Hopkins is a beautiful heiress. She is also a vigilante known as Lady Sterling.  Captain Jeremy Addison is a spy for the Crown; actually, a code breaker.  He is also a viscount, Lord Sterling.  Using the common name (as an excuse), Jeremy’s commanding officer throws them together, so that he can determine if she might be an effective, and willing, spy for the Crown.  The resulting “assignment” is a light-hearted rollercoaster of action and romance.  There is a fake marriage, a room with only one room, suspicious cookbooks and chess guides, and a treacherous earl.  There is a bright, sassy heroine and a wonderful, intelligent, shy hero.  This is an interesting, intriguing spy story and a lovely, somewhat sexy love story.  It is a great addition to the series.  I enjoyed Better Off Wed and can’t wait to see what’s next.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  My review is voluntary.
This is the 3rd book in the Love and Let Spy series and follows Jeremy and Laura who have to pretend to be married. I loved their romantic tension and the slower build of trust and affection between them. I also enjoyed the mystery and intrigue in the plot that led to their fake marriage. One of my favorite scenes involves a late night hunt for incriminating evidence and a saucy chess board.

Alsoooo for those that care, Jeremy is inexperienced and Laura is only slightly more experienced. I really liked that they were both not too shy to say what they wanted and were both 100% into it.

I also really liked the way that the ending panned out for them, and that they both ended up getting exactly what they wanted.

I’m so excited for the next book in this series! It sounds like marriage in trouble/second chance romance and I really like those tropes. Also random, but I love the scenes with General Scott bc yeah he’s in charge of this whole mastermind spy ring for the crown, but he’s also out here matchmaking his spies. I think it’s so funny.

A huge thank you to Kensington Books and #Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review! This is one of my favorite historical romance series, and I can’t wait for the final book!
Laura Hopkins, alias Lady Sterling, Thief Taker, has made it her mission to help women who have been preyed upon by their employer.  Taking secret items and money from the predator is to stop his continued predation and give the women another life.  Captain Jeremy Addison is a code breaker.  Intrigued by Lady Sterling, what irony that he is the real Lord Sterling. His job is to find Lady Sterling and marry her or did his commander say that in jest?  A carriage accident finds Jeremy assisting in Laura's rescue. Pretending to be man and wife, they infiltrate the home of Lord Thornton, a predator and a spy. I find this series totally entertaining with humor, intrigue and passion between Laura and Jeremy.  Once again we read about the cookbook that isn't a cookbook and a book of chess is something else. STEAMY with witty conversations.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.