Cover Image: Something Fabulous

Something Fabulous

I started this book and found that I really could not connect with it. I feel like it may have been one of those “right book wrong time” situations where it wasn’t what I needed, but I chose to put it down. Therefore, I cannot give a true star rating.
This was such a fun and heartwarming tale! I loved the diversity in this queer Regency romance. The writing was fun, so much banter and lots of laugh out loud moments.
Something Fabulous is the biggest, gayest regency romance I didn't know I needed. Was it ridiculous, yes, but in all the fun ways! Alexis Hall has a wonderfully breezy writing style that I could read endlessly. I absolutely recommend this for a fun, feel-good, story!
Historical male/male romance. This was an open door romance which I wasn't expecting for this time period. Overall this was a very funny read, recommended for fans of historical romance that wished there was a bit more spice to them.
Alexis Hall can do no wrong. This author is versatile and dynamic creating interesting and unique stories set in different times and with a divers set of characters. It is no surprise that this book was a dream to read.

This story had great banter and there were times I wanted to pull a character aside and talk them out of whatever nonsense they were pulling so clearly the author had me on the line and I was all in with the story.
Big fan of Boyfriend Material and was thus extremely excited about this book not only because of the author but because the premise sounds amazing! Sadly I couldn't even finish this book because of the frankly annoying banter and then the incessant humiliation of the main character! I was fuming and this is supposed to be a romance??? No thanks
I just truly did not like this book  - mainly because Belle was just the worst and I found very few redeeming qualities in her. I know it was intended to be funny, but the humor did not land for me at all. It could be me and not the book as the farce also did not work for me.
I really enjoyed this, I was a bit apprehensive after reading some other reviews but maybe I just didn't take it as seriously as some because I found it amusing and quite sweet. I loved both Bonny and Valentine, I definitely related to Valentine and felt he represented demisexuality quite well but I'm not sure if that is what the author was going for so won't say 100% that is what he is. But yeah I enjoyed a lot. I love Alexis Halls writing style, I find it so easy to read.
As the first book I’ve read/listened to by Alexis, I was delighted to do so.

I had run out of audiobooks on Libby that intrigued me, so I checked out Kindle Unlimited and it didn’t disappoint.

As a huge regency era fan, in all forms, I have never read anything that was solely LGBTQIA+. It is becoming my duty to consume all and any form of LGBTQ and this was the best way to start.

The narrator was exceptionally brilliant. They definitely understood the assignment.

Bonny is the most charismatic and lovable character. Valentine is grumpy and a wonderful character.

I have come to the conclusion that I waited too long to read anything by Alexis and that’s a shame so prior to this review, I’ve preordered the next 2 books that come out this year. And all seems right in the world 🥹
Everyone is absolutely mean and horrid and this is truly an unpleasant book to try and read. I love Alexis books normally but not this one
I was thirsty for a fun og dry wit historical romance and then I saw that this book also was a queer book, I was sold.

This book made me laugh out loud and shed a few tears along the way. SOMETHING FABULOUS has a brilliant comedic timing and a lot of ridiculous scenes, but also tender moments and a vulnerable personal journey for the main character.

I loved Valentine and how I wanted to slap Valentine upside the head and shake him, but Valentine also broke my heart repeatedly.

And then where was Bonny. Bonny was just such a warm, lively and kind person, who was made of a lot of romance, hopes and dreams.

I fell in loved with Valentine and Bonny and their relationship and I fell in loved with SOMETHING FABULOUS.
I've really enjoyed many of Alexis Hall's contemporary romances, so I was really excited for Something Fabulous. Unfortunately, I really am just not a historical romance reader so this one ultimately did not work for me. I will be looking forward to reading more of his contemporary work in the future.
I feel like my expectations were way too high when it comes to Alexis Hall books after the ridiculously wonderful Boyfriend Material, which is probably the reason why I was left slightly disappointed by Something Fabulous.
It was a fun time, full of banter and fabulous (pun intended) moments, but overall I just needed more from it.
I’m really torn about how to rate this one. On the one hand, I love Alexis Hall’s writing. Witty, fast dialogue and adventure abound here. I could imagine this making for a really, really fun movie. I also loved Valentine and Bonny! Give me a stuck-up duke and a free-spirited romantic, and I’m all in.

The book’s general treatment of Valentine got on my nerves, however. At first, I enjoyed the ‘gothic heroine parody’ that was Arabella’s character. The further into the novel I got, though, the more frustrated I grew with her vilifying of Valentine (and the way others bought into it). It felt excessive. Which I realize was the point. But it wasn’t much fun to read about at a certain point.

Those frustrations aside, this was a very fun historical rom com romp that I’d recommend to any romance reader.
I read a lot about this book before diving into it and it seems clear from his own admissions on the subject that Alexis Hall was hyper-concerned about the patriarchal power dynamics at play in the period in which this book was set.  However, it's clear that this was a bit of an over-correction on his part, resulting in a pretty unlikeable female character who unnecessarily and unforgivingly makes the life of the main character totally miserable.  That said, there are a lot of things to like about this book - the romance, the humor, Hall's trademark wit - but I hope he's willing to try to find more creative ways to play with traditional power structures in future historical romances so that his characters don't feel so totally anachronistic and villainous.
Something Fabulous was so good! It was so funny but also filled with so much heart. I loved the characters of Valentine and Bonny. They were written so perfectly and their relationship was everything. Bonny was so hilarious and I kept having to put the book down so I could laugh harder. I highly recommend all of Alexis Hall's books, but espeically this one!
I didn't know what to expect from this book but overall really enjoyed it. Alexis Hall always surprises me as a writer and this book is no exception. This book is light, frivolous, fun, and I can tell that Alexis Hall enjoyed writing it. It's described as "ridiculous" by the author and it definitely is, in the best way possible. If you're looking for a serious angst-filled historical this book is not for you. If you're looking for ridiculous fun, then definitely pick up this book!

Thank you NetGalley for a copy of this book!
Honestly, this book was not for me. I strongly disliked how Valentine was so hated for just laying low and living his life! Bonny is just straight up mean. I don't understand why reserved individuals are essentially told "smile more" and their life will be better. Valentine didn't need to be fixed. I just felt like this whole book was him apologizing (or attempting to) for doing the right thing.

There was zero attempt to try to understand where he was coming from, and it was frustrating. I just thought it was weird to introduce a demi character in a historical setting and then spend the whole book treating him like a lesser being and insinuating that he needed to change. More of the book could've been spent allowing him to self-reflect. I feel like any attempt to reach out was immediately squashed with abuse.

I liked the first 50 or so pages, but then the rest of the book just made me angry. Valentine was just so mistreated, and it was honestly heartbreaking. I don't think that was the author's intended effect, but it made me strongly dislike this book. I just feel like the modern sexuality was forced on this historical character. While it was funny at times, it just didn't work for me, for the reasons stated above.
Hall’s story begins with Valentine, the Duke of Malvern, proposing marriage to Miss Arabella Tarleton. Valentine is the epitome of the sinister duke who is both the hero and villain of so many of Heyer’s works: cool, handy with a sarcastic phrase and utterly sure of his own appeal. Which is why it’s such a shock when he’s woken up in the night by Arabella’s twin brother, Bonaventure, who says his sister has run away. Bonny knows where she is headed, so Valentine finds himself propelled into an adventure to prevent his fiancée’s supposed ruin.

Instead, it’s Valentine who’s destroyed. The whole duke archetype is deconstructed piece by piece in a series of comic mishaps unfurled with impeccable authorial control. Because being a duke is a story, and if people don’t believe you — if you’ve borrowed a gardener’s coat and left your valet behind and given away your signet ring — then they quickly stop treating you as a duke at all. The takedown is terrifyingly thorough.

Except, of course, that Valentine has fallen for Bonny, a gorgeous chaos muppet who survived a lonely childhood by telling himself as many wild romantic stories as possible. Stories about men loving other men, and marrying handsome dukes. As he rebuilds his sense of identity, Valentine asks: What kind of story does he really want his life to be?

At seven to one, there is an unusually high ratio of queer characters to dukes in this book. I’ve often been in a room with multiple queer people, but I have never met more than one duke. So refreshing to see a romance approach these proportions realistically.
A rompy road-trip regency romance (say that five times fast). Valentine Layton, the Duke of Malvern, has been promised to marry the daughter of one of his father’s good friends. His parents have since passed and he feels like he finally needs to make good on that commitment and propose to her. What he didn’t count on was that Arabella and her twin brother Bonny have a flair for drama. When his proposal isn’t romantic enough, she runs away. Bonny then forces Valentine to accompany him through the country to find her. Lots of zany hijinks ensue and through out their trip Valentine and Bonny begin to fall in love.

The romance itself was really sweet. I kind of got sick of Bonny and Valentine chasing the sister around and was hoping they would just let her go at some point, but other than that a fun, campy historical with a very large cast of LGBTQIA characters.