Cover Image: Something Fabulous

Something Fabulous

This book is funny, lighthearted, sweet, unputdownnable and definitely one of my favorite reads of 2021. I got to read an ARC of Something Fabulous and devoured it in no time at all. It made me laugh, made me emotional, frustrated at times and very hopeful too. I love the way Alexis wrote Bonny and Valentine, they're so well constructed and their chemistry is undeniable, it's there in every page.

This book has a lot of dialogue and i admire the author immensely for his ability to make them sound so natural, funny when the moment allows and also very true when it needs to.

I also appreciate the demisexual representation and the way the story manages to talk about sexuality, and more specifically lgbtqia+ sexuality in such a real and thoughtful way while being set in regency england, which is something i don't often see in historical stories.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, it was very special to me and i think a lot of people will find as much joy in it as i did.
Well friends. Alexis Hall wrote an m/m historical and it was exactly as delightful as you’d think it would be. The only word I can find to describe this is a “romp.” It's a regency road trip with all of the hilarious twists, turns, and mishaps you could ever want featuring a starchy demi duke, an impoverished hopeless romantic,"but I'm engaged to your sister," childhood friends to estranged to lovers, and some truly astoundingly charming sapphic and genderqueer side characters.

Alexis Hall’s prose is so profoundly entertaining and the book is so steeped in a love of stories and storytelling that was just a joy to read as a reader.

It is told in single POV from Valentine's perspective and is very much his story. Bonny feels very solid and self-actualized form the outside in contrast to Valentine's arc of growth and self-understanding. In this way, it did feel a little imbalanced, but I think I just prefer a dual-perspective narrative.

Read this if you love Alexis Hall and Talia Hibbert but also dukes!

Thanks to NetGalley and Montlake for the ARC!

CW: gun on page, gun violence
I was up for something fabulous. I got something hilarious, marvelous, glorious, frivolous, virtuous, ridiculous, languorous, amorous and of course Something Fabulous.

Something Fabulous is a queer Regency fairytale and it’s witty, fluffy, dramatic, and soo addictive. It’s also slightly over the top. The humor, the old-fashioned language, the emotions, think big and it’s probably even bigger. Discussing if an ache can be vast and empty? Check. Saying things like histrionic chit? Check. Crying because of a bee? Check.

Bonny is adorable. A butterfly, light as a feather and bright and charming and sweet. Valentine is grumpy at first but beneath that prickly surface is a beautiful flower and I loved watching Valentine grow and to fully bloom.

I smiled and I grinned and I laughed out loud while reading this fantastic and absurd and fabulous book. Sometimes it was like I was looking at a slapstick, overly dramatic and hysterical, and completely over the top. At these moments, I thought: it’s getting cringe-inducing. But immediately after those moments, Bonny and Valentine were so sweet, and my heart melted. And more importantly, Valentine’s heart melted as well, finally allowing his feelings to come up to surface. I adored Bonny and Valentine, and finished this book with another huge smile on my face.
Sadly, this book was just too much for me. I enjoyed the author's humour but the plot was just too silly...
Thank you to NetGalley for the eARC.

This was a delight. A hilarious, adorable delight.

It’s probably an indication of how much I enjoyed this that I read this in a matter of hours. It would have been one sitting if silly things like sleep and work hadn’t got in the way. Spent a lot of time adoring Bonny, a lot cursing Val, and a lot laughing.

Having read and loved Alexis Hall’s Boyfriend Material, I knew I was in for an enjoyable, fun read – and given that I’m strictly speaking more a fan of historical settings than modern ones, I had a very good feeling about this one – and I was rightfully rewarded. While being very different from Boyfriend Material in a lot of ways, it had the same charm and humour, and the same hopeless idiots refusing to talk out their problems like normal people.

In short, it was just what I needed.

Our characters, are Val and Bonny. Now, Bonny is a ray of sunshine who deserves everything good in the world and I loved him from the off – even if he is a little ridiculous and over-dramatic. (A little?) Val, on the other hand, is a grump. We’re in his head, so you get to see a lot more of his inner workings and misery, and it’s like you know how lovely he could be, but he just keeps disappointing you. He’s not always easy to like, and he makes some very bad decisions and deserves a lot of the trouble that comes his way and yet, it’s difficult not to root for him – because he is coming from a good place.

The problem is that Val is engaged to Bonny’s twin sister, Belle – a situation no one is all that happy about, especially when Belle runs away from him and leaves them on a chase across the country. Belle is even more dramatic than Val, and honestly annoyed me quite a lot with her melodramas and outright lies, though by the end I had mellowed towards her and could sympathise with her. Her plight is understandable, even if she goes about escaping from it in an increasingly frustrating way.

As with Hall’s other books, the collection of side characters are just as wonderful. I’ve a soft spot for Emily and Angharad, and can Peggy please have her own story?

Despite the setting, the world is very queer friendly. While a lot of the language we use today isn’t available to these characters, the way Val talks about his feels very much paints him as demisexual, Peggy is very much genderqueer. Almost every character we meet falls somewhere under the LBGTQA+ umbrella – and it’s delightful. There’s not really any talk of the social or legal implications of being in a homosexual relationship in regency Britain, it’s as if the book takes place in a small bubble – and I liked that. I don’t always need the reminder that these characters can’t have the entirely happy carefree life that I’d like them to have.

In short, I loved this. It was fun. It was romantic. It was faintly ridiculous. And it was exactly what I needed right now.
Alexis Hall is simply the best. This was the pinnacle of sunshine/grump - I loved every moment of this. Can't WAIT for more adventures in this series - Peggy's book is next!!! Thanks Netgalley!!
‘Something Fabulous’ was exactly a book I needed this weekend. Despite being in some ways a little bit ridiculous or overtop and without focusing too much on historical accuracy, this regency queer romance was… just fabulous.

In ‘Something Fabulous’, Valentine, Duke of Malvern, hoping to fulfil his departed father’s wishes, proposes to Miss Arabella Tarleton. Only it doesn’t go exactly to plan when his fiancé-to-be flees, and Valentine is woken up in the middle of the night by her brother, Bonny. Together, they chase after Bella, encountering many interesting characters along the way and having many (mis)adventures. Along the way, Valentince also discovers many things about himself.

Bonny was a charming character and I loved him so much, and it was quite funny to see how initially Valentine found him so annoying, but grew to care a lot about him along the way.

‘Something Fabulous’ is a short and quick read, but if you’re looking for a nice weekend read, full of charming characters, I’d definitely give this one a read.
Reading “Something Fabulous”, by Alexis Hall, had me wondering if I was perhaps a dramatic, grumpy, demisexual duke in a past life. Basically, I am Valentine and Valentine is me.

This queer regency romance, due out in January 2022, is splendid fun and exactly what I’d hoped for from Alexis Hall. The story follows the grumpy duke, Valentine: the man who cares not for love or lust and relies heavily on his valet—and the human embodiment of sunshine, the bright and bonny, Bonny Tarleton, who’s been dreaming of his own storybook HEA since early childhood, across the English countryside in pursuit of Valentine’s runaway fiancé, Arabella Tarleton.

Their stumbling adventure comes with a heavy dose of witty banter and undeniable chemistry, a handful of misunderstandings, realizations, and a surprising amount of unlikely friends—and it left me gasping, giggling, and grinning the entire time.

If you’re a lover and a dreamer, I’d whole-heartedly recommend this feel-good regency romp as your first read of 2022.

Something Fabulous by Alexis Hall will be available January 25, 2022.
Something Fabulous was Something Fabulous indeed! No plot, just vibes. It's basically one big shit post of a book with a very adorable romance. I'm pretty sure I laughed at almost every page. Our main character, grumpy demisexual duke Valentine, and I have more in common than I'd like to admit. I'm always very happy to find a new comfort read!
my thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!

I have been eagerly awaiting this book and I have been well rewarded! The title is spot on--this book IS something fabulous! It was so engaging and witty, heartbreaking and uplifting. And so very funny, in Hall's inimitable way.

This is the story of the Valentine--the Duke of Malvern (and don't you forget it)--and the Tarleton twins: Bonaventure (Bonny) and Arabella (Bella).
This book drops you into their world, with all its manners and propriety and societal conventions, and then proceeds to give you a spectacular romp through a series of classic tropes, while inverting them in the best way.

I became so invested in the characters. Valentine is such stiff, proper gentlemen who somehow can't help making a hash of things as he tries to soldier through his staid life and ducal responsibilities. The Tarleton twins, long ago friends of his, barrel back into his life and shake the very foundations of it. In all manner of ways.

Valentine is such an engaging character. I love that the book unfolds from his perspective,; he is such an inadvertently funny but also wistful, naive, and profoundly lonely man. He has such character growth as the book progresses and he is so deserving of a Happily Ever After.

Bonny explodes onto the scene and you can never look away--he is brilliant and bright, with an infectious joyful spirit.

This is such a lovely reluctant allies to lovers slow burn story. The romance in this is exceptional but also so much fun to read. The connection between Val and Bonny and the way they see each other is exceedingly well written.

Bella is a whirlwind of her own, forging a path of confusion and mayhem in her wake but she also made me laugh.

Hall is so gifted at creating characters that are relatable and real and complex. This is true for his main characters but also for his side characters, who are riveting on their own merits. I would gladly read more about every secondary character in this book--he could write books centering on each of them and i would eagerly buy them up. They are interspersed in the narrative but they are fleshed out, three dimensional even in their few moments of exposition. I don't know if I could choose a favorite–they are all so entertaining.
(Peggy, it's probably Peggy.)

This is a book of action, adventure, romance, and love, with such a whimsical whiff of farce that the whole is simply a stunning story that you will not soon forget. Val and Bonny have a place in my heart.
(Especially Val–I would wrap him a blanket and bring him tea, he is such a dear.)

I can't wait for its release so I can talk about it with more people! All the literally allusions interspersed are splendid!!
Highly recommended! Five stars!
Okay, so, full disclosure here… I have never read a regency romance before, so I have nothing to compare this to.  But I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Obviously, I just got the ARC yesterday afternoon and I’ve already finished it.
The characters were wonderful, I loved Bonny’s everything, I cringed at Valentine’s complete cluelessness, and all the other characters were special, too.
The language in this book was so perfect, and maybe all regency romances have this type of language, but I kind of suspect they don’t?  I’ve come to expect these wonderfully obscure words from AJH’s other books, but this was on a whole other level, and I loved it.
There is just so much to love about this book.  It’s romantic and ridiculous and sweet and funny and I cannot wait to read a physical copy of this book!
The book's title delivered: it was a fabulous read! In this book we follow the arrogant Duke of Malvern and his fiancé's twin brother, Bonaventure "Bonny" Tarleton, on a series of misadventures as they try to locate Bonny's runaway sister, Belle.

This book is so funny, sometimes toeing the line of absurd but in such a way that I was fully invested in it. The characters themselves is what kept me reading, which is what I hope to find in a romance novel - characters I wholeheartedly want to see have their Happy Ever After. The duke of our main pair, Valentine, is such a privileged prig at first who cannot help but put his foot in his mouth, even to his own detriment. He has a satisfying character arc though, and the lessons he learns were hard won but believable in how he processed and reacted to them considering the amount of privilege granted to by his status. On a personal note, Valentine is heavily implied to be either demi or greysexual. Obviously it is not explicitly stated since this kind of vocabulary did not exist in the book's time, but there our scenes where this is discussed by Valentine and Bonny and in such a sweet and respectful way. This kind of representation in a romance novel made me very, very happy to read.

Onto the more brighter and dazzling of our main pair: Bonny. Basically, Bonny is my precious sweet cinnamon roll, and I will burn a house down if any one hurts him. That is all.

While watching Valentine and Bonny fall in love was a delight in itself, truly the world of the book was better due to the many characters that inhabited it with their bright, authentic selves.

In the beginning, my one sentence summary of the book is very understated and doesn't do justice to the vibrancy found in this romance. But I don't think I can convey how fun this was to read. It's like trying to tell a friend a funny story that happened to you and then realizing the retelling isn't as funny, so you just shrug and claim, "ah you just have to had been there." That's my sentiment here, you just have to read it to find out what's fabulous.