Cover Image: Chloe Cates Is Missing

Chloe Cates Is Missing

3-4 stars.  I don’t know how I feel about this one,  found it to be good at parts, but muddled a bit at others.  I think maybe the author tried a bit too much on adding too many different things within one book and it would gave been better with a bit less.  Overall, I was able to read it all and did enjoy for the most part.  Would recommend to those whom are okay with a bit of confusion.
Huge thank you to NetGalley and Penzler Publishers for the eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Release date: January 18th, 2022

Synopsis: Teen influencer and YouTube star, Chloe Cates, is an internet sensation, thanks to her mother, Jennifer. Since her daughter was young, Jennifer began sharing parenting stories and advice on her blog, CC and Me which include the life of the loving mother, their beautiful family, and the ever so sensational CC, who their world revolves around. From the outside looking in, the Scarborough’s have it all .. or so it seemed. When Chloe goes missing, the lies and deception begin to unravel before their eyes and is a perfect example of that everything you see on social media isn't always as it seems to be.

Talk about a Lifetime movie in a book! If you've ever been intrigued by family bloggers or celebrity children then this book brings an interesting twist into just that! This book had me hooked from the first page all the way until the end and I cannot lie every time that I thought I knew what was going to happen the next page completely caught me off guard. Such a great read!
I was on the fence about purchasing this one for my high school library, as it is an adult mystery with some teen appeal. But there is a LOT going on in the book, which makes the plot really muddled. Kidnapping, murder, some sort of horrific childhood event that doesn't come until way late in the book then seems ridiculously implausible, influencers, catfishing, weirdly-places flashbacks, more murder. I would have enjoyed it more if it weren’t so all over the place, as the general premise is appealing. Not my personal cup of tea overall.
Read this if…you watch reality shows with momagers like Dance Moms or Toddlers and Tiaras.

Jenn is the mastermind behind the popular blog “CC and Me,” where she chronicles her life with her young teenage daughter Chloe Cates. Most of what people see on the blog or at CC’s meet and greets is just an act though. Chloe is actually Abby Scarborough and while she originally enjoyed all of the attention her mom and sponsors lavished on her because of the blog over the years, she’s starting to struggle with balancing who she really is with her alter ego.

Jenn is relentless, as a lot of momagers can be, and controls Abby’s world to the smallest details in an effort to get her daughter to Hollywood. So it’s not a total surprise one day when Abby disappears. Until the cops find some gruesome clues that lead to a body of another local girl who went missing. Time is ticking as the police and Abby’s parents race against the clock to find the missing social media star before it’s too late.

Mark your calendars for this upcoming release because it was so good! I could have easily read this book in one sitting if I had enough time in my schedule. From the first few chapters, I was totally hooked on the mystery and unprepared for all the twists and turns! I loved hating Jenn’s character because wow! Was she an awful human being! The ending made everything come back full circle. I enjoyed the multiple POVs and the flashbacks into the past which helped explain a little bit more about why Jenn was the way she was. I had no clue who to believe and so the suspense never let up!

A big thank you to Netgalley, the author, and Penzler Publishing for a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 4.5/5
Very disappointing.
The story is told from a number of different perspectives but at times I couldn't remember who was talking, which was confusing. More importantly though, there was too much hinting and not enough being delivered, the tension just wasn't building.
From the beginning McHugh hints at a very dark secret in the past, linking the two protagonists. She brings it up so much, the suspernse is gone: there was obviously a death or murder, and it was obviously another person, since they are both there to (not) tell the tale.
Some twists are surprising, but I wasn't sold on the story or the storytelling and I just wanted to finally know what happened, but it was built-up annoyance more than suspense.
It's a shame because the story of the disappearance itself - without the backstory - would make a good plot in itself.
Inside look at life behind the scenes of a successful influencer. The toll fame takes on a family, the relationships and the child star of blog/Instagram/videos was brutal. This story is told from multiple perspectives with a past and present timeline. Lead detective, Emilia,  has a very interesting past with Jennifer. The backstory of these two characters was so important to the story. Really gave a lot of depth to the characters and showed how one person can become so focused on being an “it”person in real or “perceived “ real life. Great pacing and mystery with the added mystery of Emilia and Jennifer’s past. A little “twist’ near the end. Definitely raises questions about right and wrong and justice. Thoroughly enjoyed this one and highly recommend to fans of mysteries and influencers.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, Scarlet, for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I wanted to like this much more than I did.

Chloe Cates isn't a real person. She's the celebrity social media persona Jennifer Scarborough created for her daughter, Abby. The whole family has a highly curated online presence - endorsing products, filming skits, faking every aspect of their lives... and then Chloe disappears.

The mom is a caricature of stage mothers/influencers and the dad is a generic Chad who has zero personality other than "mad at his wife most of the time."  The detective investigating Chloe's disappearance is connected to the mom because they were friends growing up, and they have Big Secrets, and it's all a bit much, especially the ending.

Lots of people have really enjoyed this book, but it was not a good one for me.
The influencer and true crime world collide in Chloe Cates Is Missing. The book gets right into it very quickly which I really enjoyed, and then became a slow build as the curtain is pulled back on the "spectacular" Scarborough family.  Alternating narrators, between the mom-ager Jen (who you dislike right away which adds to the whole plot), her husband Jackson, the police detective and Chloe's diary, the drama builds and everyone looks guilty. I thought for sure I knew who was responsible for everything, but McHugh pulled a twist that capped this story off perfectly. Domestic thriller fans, those who love true crime / missing persons should not sleep on this book. It publishes January 18, 2022 and needs to be added to your TBR.
Chloe Cates is Missing is a tense thriller that kept me on edge the entire time.

Jen Scarborough and her husband Jackson are the parents of two children. When Jen had their first, JJ, she struggled to find her place as a mom and housewife. When their daughter, Abigail came along, Jen began blogging as a way to share her experiences and connect with other moms. They decided to use a 'stage name' for the family, in the digital world becoming the Cates and Abigail being known as Chloe. The blog, CC and Me blew up and provided the Scarborough family with additional income and opportunities. As Abigail has gotten older, she starts to resent the blog and her mom's obsession with it and wants to be Abigail, not Chloe. One morning, Jen gets up to prepare for the day of a photoshoot with a new sponsor and finds Chloe missing from her room. The police are called and so begins the search. The detective on the case, Emilina Stone, has a past with Jen from childhood.

Jumping perspectives between Jen, Emilina, Jackson and Abigail's secret diary, we learn that the Scarborough/Cates family has a lot of secrets and things aren't always what they seem.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would love to talk to someone about the ending. It was left a little vague, with just a hint of insinuation where you can take it a few different ways. The book kept me guessing and was like a thread that kept unraveling. Every time you thought you figured it out, there would be another twist. You definitely had people you rooted for and rooted against, but then it was like, did you pick the right side?
Enjoyed this book. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. Some unlikeable characters but that was intentional I think for the plot. Looking forward to reading more from the author.
Many thanks , as always to NetGalley for the advance read of a fascinating thriller, a dark tour through the dysfunctional world of decidedly un-social media.
               Suspense novelists arrived at the idea that many people, including myself, have long suspected.......that so-called social media 'influencers', instagrammers, tweeters, and assorted tik-tokkers are in fact deeply narcissistic, greedy sociopaths, addicted to their 15 minutes of unaccomplished infamy to the point of derangement.
               So naturally we've got all the ingredients here of a thriller that kept us in rapt, up-all-night attention until the reveal  of its final  twist (inevitable, ironic but strangely satisfying)
                The wildly popular teen influencer 'Chloe Cates' is in reality the miserably unhappy Abby Scarborough, dominated, dictated to, cruelly manipulated and micro-managed by her monstrous mother Jennifer.
                  This Momager From Hell operates like a  suburban Lady Macbeth who's single-handedly created the utterly fictitious 'Chloe Cates' persona and universe she lives in, complete with fake friends and carefully staged events.  And then her world turns upside down when her meal ticket Abby-Chloe disappears, the possible victim of a violent abduction.
                  Jennifer's further rattled and outraged by the Missing Children detective who's taken on the task of investigating the disappearance and bringing  the teen back home........it's Emelina Stone, whose history with Jennifer goes back to a terrible secret they share from their early teen years, when both were mercilessly bullied by their school's resident mean girls.
                   That dark moment in the two women's past continues to torment and haunt Emilina........and sooner or later, you know that somehow it's going to link up in some way with the current events of whatever became of Abby-Chloe.
                     Twists abound and virtually all the multiple narrators, with one exception, are deceptive and completely unreliable.......and we wouldn't have it any other way, since that's the juicy fun of a read like this one.
                      It's a fast, riveting spin through a nightmare world of preening pseudo-celebrity where everyone lives or dies by the amounts of 'likes', endorsements and product swag......and overdue just desserts get properly handed out in the final pages. 4 stars.
I loved books that involves influencing and social media, because it's so much tied into things that we experience every day. So many people want to be "Insta-famous" or "TikTok-famous" but they don't really understand the negatives that can come with putting yourself out there for millions.

Which is why when 13-year-old influencer Chloe Cates disappears, everyone takes notice, most of all her fame-whore mother, who needs to get CC back before she disappoints a sponsor.

I absolutely LOVED this book because of how much I understood about it. The need to want to continue to up the ante, and the fear when thinks may not going exactly your way.

While it's really easy to dislike Chloe Cates's family, when you start delving into why Jen is the way she is, you start to wonder if there's more to this disappearance than meets the eyes.

If you're looking for a book that'll keep your jaw on the floor, this one is for you.
This book is truly a roller coaster ride in the best possible way.   As a reader you are able to get an in depth view into the three main characters and at different times dislike each of them; however, you are never quite sure of the final outcome until the very end.   I was truly engrossed with this book and highly recommend it.
This book is so typical of our current times with social media affecting our everyday lives.  The family in this story are dependent on the social media presence of the daughter.  It is told from many points of view including the diary if Chloe, our missing character.    It affects their lives both socially and economically.  The mother is so involved in the media presence that she lets it control her every waking moment in her quest to be “the perfect family”.
Chloe Cates, along with her mom, is a social media influencer thanks to their blog “CC & Me.” It’s a mother/daughter blog that specializes in parenting and fashion. Jennifer is a stage mom on steroids. The things she makes Chloe does are unthinkable; Chloe isn’t even her real name, it’s Abby! Chloe isn’t allowed to attend school or have a social life of her own.

One morning, Chloe’s parents realize she is missing, and the book follows the story of the detective, Emilina Stone, Abby’s diary, and her parents, while they are trying to find her.

This was such a gripping novel. There were so many twists that I didn’t see coming, and I was engrossed the whole time. I found both of Abby’s parents, Jennifer and Jackson, to be awful. Jennifer was beyond selfish, and Jackson had no backbone to protect his children. I highly recommend this book!

𝗣𝘂𝗯 𝗗𝗮𝘁𝗲: January 18, 2022

Thank you Net Galley, Mandy McHugh & Scarlet Press for this ARC.
This was definitely an interesting read, thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and anticipating it all unravel.

Chloe Cate, a stage name for Abby Scarborough, the local social media superstar, has gone missing. Was she kidnapped or did she run away? Why does the girl who turned up dead look so much like her? Is her mother, Jennifer Scarborough, really concerned for daughter or does she really only care about going viral?

All the things that swarmed through my head for 4 hours straight. I could not. put. this. book. down. So many different uncontrollable ideas took hold of me.

I liked that the plot didn't follow the general mystery solving route of finding clues and instead focussed on Abby and what lead to her disappearance through her journal - it was also cool to see the narrative switch between different characters POV's, really gave them depth.  Did not see the final plot twist coming one little bit - it seemed rather rushed but I suppose that was the point.

Huge thanks to Mandy McHugh, Penzler Publishers, Scarlet and NetGalley for sending me the ARC for an honest review.
Interesting but not really my cup of tea. Well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
I really loved this fast paced domestic thriller. Chloe, online star of CC and Me, is missing. In reality she's 13-year-old Abigail and she's been getting less and less enthusiastic about keeping up the online persona her mother created when she was four. Of courss  Jennifer Scarborough is worried about her missing daughter -- but she's also determined to exploit the situation and generate as much publicity as possible. She's an absolutely awful person and the detective in charge of the case, who happened to be her best friend when the two of  them were Chloe's age, knows exactly the sort of thing she's capable of.

The plot is a roller coaster with some truly heart stopping plunges and it kept me guessing until the end, which I wish hadn't been quite to abrupt.
How far would Jennifer Cates (influencer name) go to make a post on her blog, “CC and Me” go viral? She certainly has no qualms about exploiting her 13 year old daughter, Chloe Cates (real name-Abigail Scarborough) for money. She doesn’t care if the things that are captured on “live feed” embarrass her daughter. AT ALL !!

At what age, can a person decide that they no longer want to be a “social media celebrity”? How far would Chloe Cates go to escape the life her Mother won’t allow her to relinquish?

Is Chloe Cates missing? Or is this all a ruse for more clicks?

Detective Emilia Stone from the Children and Family Services Unit, in Albany, will have to piece together the evidence from Chloe’s journal entries and from what she knows about Jennifer from the past, when Jennifer was Jen Groff- her middle school best friend.

I requested this one because I am always drawn to stories which are told through multiple formats such as diaries, journals, Pod Casts and the like. But these journal entries give much of the book a YA feel, and I have outgrown my enjoyment of that.

If you haven’t, and you enjoy reality series about families or wives who enjoy the spotlight or Moms who push their children to be in Dance, or Cheer or perhaps to be Beauty Pageant contestants, you may enjoy the DRAMA that this book offers! Unfortunately for me, those things don’t interest me so I wasn’t a great fit for this book.
Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. The story is told from multiple points of view: Abby (Chloe), Jen (her mother), Jackson (her father), and Emilina (the detective). The plot worked for me but the writing wasn't necessarily my writing style. I couldn't tell if it was the layout of the ARC or if the style just didn't flow.

Thanks again for the ARC.