Cover Image: Three Sisters

Three Sisters

In this third book in "The Tattooist of Auschwitz" trilogy author Heather Morris (based on an incredible true story) tells the story of three Slovakian sisters Cibi, Magda and Livia. They make a promise to their father that they will always stay together, no matter what.
The story follows the sister's before, during and after they were sent to Auschwitz and Birkenau. They struggle to survive illness, starvation and are forced to go on a death march.
Author Heather Morris captures the beauty and the horror in the three sisters lives.
She writes a testament to the power of love and devotion.

Narrator Finty Williams does an amazing job telling this story!

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
This is not an easy book to listen to (or read) or review.  It issue important and was quite an emotional journey.  This author has found a way to take the horrors of the Holocaust and the heinous things that happened and create a fictionalized story that every living being should read as an introduction that should want to make them want to learn more about the Holocaust to make sure it never happens again. There are so many attacks on people of the Jewish faith and that there are also so many who currently deny that it happened is despicable. We meet a Slovakian family. The three sisters somehow manage to survive the horrors and brutality of Auschwitz.  They ultimately  escape from a death march and by hiding in the woods.  We joined them on the journey to the rest of their lives.  Trying to learn to live with the horrors of their collective past, what freedom now means to them, ghosts of what happened and trying to love each other and build new lives.  Again, this is a tough and yet beautiful important story to read.  Today so many are not taught or are aware the Holocaust and that is not acceptable.  This author is amazing and creates fictional works all based on reality and in doing so helps to not only entertain, but to educate.  I am so grateful to her for doing so.  Her series, though can be read as individual books are so incredibly important.  Do not miss this one.
Three Sisters by Heather Morris is the third book in her The Tattooist of Auschwitz series.  Though connected, you don't need to read/listen to the first two books, as this story does stand alone.  I listened to the audiobook version which was beautifully narrated by Finty Williams.  (Her pronunciation of names and towns is astounding!)  The three sisters in the book are actually real people, and this book is based on their experiences.  It is an absolutely heartbreaking, horrific and brutal story.  However, it's also greatly inspiring, showing the enduring human spirit and the love of family.

Cibi, Magda and Livia of Slovakia made a promise to their father that they would always be together.  That vow is put to the test when all three girls eventually end up in Auschwitz.  They survive brutality and starvation, but at least the sisters are together.  They make another promise, and that is they will live.  On the death march from the camps, the sisters manage to escape and eventually make their way home; but it is no longer home.  The sisters travel to Israel and make new lives for themselves in the Promised Land.

Yes, that's a rather generic and short description of the book, isn't it?  But this is one of those books you must simply dive in and experience.  I warn you it is not an easy read.  Life - and death - in the camps is addressed  bluntly.  You can feel the girls' pain and heartbreak.  You will cry along with them.  Cringe at events.  Tears will pour down your cheeks.  Man's inhumanity to man is a terrible thing.  But you will also feel the girls' hope, love and devotion to family.  They lived through the worst of times and made beautiful new lives for themselves.

I've mentioned in many reviews that my mother and I went to Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland.  It is somewhere everyone should go, as its history may be the most important lesson you will ever learn.  It was the largest Nazi concentration and extermination camp, where over 1.1 millions souls lost their lives.  When going through Auschwitz, you can touch the wall and bullet holes where prisoners were shot.  You go into the gas chamber and can feel the souls of the lost.  You see relics there that will just rip your heart out.  There's not much left to see in Birkenau, but the train tracks that brought millions to their death still exist.  It's simply amazing that these girls were able to survive the horror and move on to lives filled with love.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905

I received an ARC of this audiobook courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  I received no compensation for my review, and all thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Though  I loved both The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka's Journey, by Heather Morris, Three Sisters is my favorite book of hers.  As usual for Morris' books, the characters are well developed and the story is one you don't want to put down.  Three Sisters is the story of three Slovakian sisters imprisoned at Auschwitz and of how they survive and what became of them after the war.  It is a beautifully written story of despair, hope, family, and survival. It could be a stand-alone, but as it refers to other beloved characters from her previous two novels,  it is best to read all three.
This audio version was very well done and a pleasure to listen to.
Three Sisters is the third book in Heather Morris’ Tattooist of Auschwitz series, but like the others, can be read as stand-alone.

I am drawn to historical fiction from this time period. It’s not that I enjoy the agonizing details but believe each story and perspective should be told.  Of all the WW2 fiction books I’ve read, this one was packed with hope and promise throughout.  The narration by Finty Williams (@fintywilliams) is stunning!

Thank you to @NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for the opportunity to listen to this advanced audiobook in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.
The story of three sister that were bonded early in their lives by their parents.  That bond and their commitment to stay together brings them through the challenges and horrors of Auschwitz. It’s a story for today, in as much as it teaches one to appreciate the good that there is in the world and to appreciate what we have.  The modern world could learn a lot from this story.  We all need to look out for each other a bit more and focus on people for that is what is important. Thanks to NetGalley.
Three Sisters by Heather Morris is the heart wrenching/heart warming story of three sisters who promise their father to always be there for each other and protect each other.  CIbi,  Magda and Livia keep this promise the rest of their lives, even and especially when they are taken to Auschwitz.  This story is based upon a true story and show the strength, determination and resilience these sisters had.  We follow them before they were sent to Auschwitz, during their time in the camp and then a large portion of the book tells the story of what happened after.  This is something unique that we do not see as much in the Tattooist of Auschwitz and Chika's Journey.  It is remarkable how these stories are connected and the tragic and unimaginable their story is.  Another fascinating read from Heather Morris.

The narrator, Finty Williams, does a wonderful job of giving voice to Cibi, Magda and Livia.  Excellent work.

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for this audiobook copy in exchange for an honest review.
How do you review a book that is based on actual people's lives and the devastation of the Holocaust. I thought I had a review all written up in my head, until I got to the author's note about each of the real life people these characters were based on. And hearing of them as real people, I just don't know how you give someone's life story--nevertheless three life stories--a low review. And the Epilogue took my breath away.

Holocaust historical fiction typically isn't my cup of tea because its just too real. I enjoy reading that is escapism, and even heavier topics that are just based in history is different to me than hearing who these characters actually were. So it is rare that I picked up this book. But I've seen how much people have loved this author's other books so I couldn't pass it by.

What heartbreakingly beautiful story of sisters, who promised each other such a promise. And to survive such unthinkable circumstances and lived to carry the stories. For me, the second half of the book was even more touching because a lot of historical fiction of this time period doesn't touch on afterwards and the after effects except maybe in epilogues of years later. This to me was the charm of the book. Seeing the sister's stories played out and how the situations they lived through effected them and the others in their lives so deeply. What they came home to. Who and how they met other survivors. What Israel meant to them afterwards. Makes it all so much more real to the reader.

And the narration was beautiful.
I have read the other two books, The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka's Journey, by Heather Morris, so when I saw this title, I jumped at the opportunity. I had the privilege of reading and listening to early review copies.
It is hard to say I “enjoyed” reading a book about true terrors and horrors these women faced. What I can say I enjoy is Heather’s ability to capture the fortitude, determination, and pure courage these women displayed.
Despite everything these women faced, they remained true to family and never lost HOPE. This to me is the biggest takeaway of this novel. It is brimming with details and history but drips with hope and endurance.
Grab your tissues, for you will likely shed tears, but you will also smile as these women find new life and overcome their nightmares.
I received a complimentary advanced copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
This story is amazing!  I think this is my favorite of her three Auschwitz novels. It is so heart warming and the story is told in such a respectful way while not making light of any of the atrocities that took place. Listening to the audiobook made it even more gut wrenching and I found myself fighting back tears numerous times. This is more than a story about three sisters. It’s a story of family, resilience, love, bravery and strength. I love reading these types of stories because it shows how important hope was in staying alive.

I really enjoyed that Heather Morris included the afterwards from some of the family members and I thought that was a fantastic addition. It is also amazing for the family to be able to read the story about these sisters and share it with the world.
Three Sisters is another one of Heather Morris' masterpieces of historical fiction. Just like her two previous novels, Three Sisters is a novel following the story of real people who lived through the Holocaust.

What I liked: I had to remind myself throughout the novel that this was indeed a real story. I loved remembering that Morris extensively researched and interviewed to bring this story to life. The Author's Note anchors the story in facts.

What I didn't like: At some points, I felt like the story could have ended. For example, I felt like the author was stretching the story to make sure we all understood how each of the three sisters were married, even though I was already convinced of their triumph in Israel.
As young girls, Cibi, Magda, and Livia made a promise to their father always to stay together and look after one another.  Little did they know how necessary that promise would be.  They endure unfathomable conditions at Auschwitz, only to be led on a death march as the Nazis try to hide what they have done in the waning days of the war.  From there, they must try to figure out how to rebuild their lives with little more than each other to their names.  (If you read the book’s blurb, it sounds like this story starts after the war.  However, the war is at least half of the book – just an FYI.)

Though this is historical fiction, the three sisters were very real people.  The author, Heather Morris, was able to interview two of the three sisters, as well as reading a diary from one of the sisters, and she cross-checked facts where possible.  For a Holocaust book, this seemed to be rather upbeat, in part due to the narrator’s tone in reading it, and in part because the girls kept saying things to each other to keep them going through the hell that was Auschwitz.  I would say love is the overarching theme of this book, and I felt it in the sisters’ actions.  Overall, this was a fabulous novel.

Many thanks to NetGalley for providing me an audio ARC of this book.
Romani sisters Livvi, Magda and Cibby, promised their father, that they would look after each other forever! Little did they realize the gravitas of that promise. At the time it was made, they were young and innocent. War was not a thing that these young girls even realized existed. But they loved their father, and they made that promise, which turned out to be central to surviving World War 2.

This is author Heather Morris' third book, following up, The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka's Journey. Although all three are (loosely) linked, each can be read as a stand alone novel. Like her prior publications, this book is based on a true family's experience. Their story is incredible. I listened to the #audiobook, narrated by Finty Williams, and she does an incredible job telling the story of the Three Sisters. If you enjoyed Heather Morris' other books, or even if you did not read them, you can (and SHOULD) read this one!

Thank you #netgalley and @macmillanaudio for the audiobook, in return for my honest review. #5stars
Oh Heather Morris!  You've done it again!  You managed to suck me in.  I finished this one in a single day.  My house is a wreck and I don't even care.  This is one I'll be reading again!
This is the third book in a series of historical stories from Morris. I struggled a bit to get into this story, but I did get there eventually, and I found the story to be beautiful and incredibly moving. I like that this story follows the sisters during their in the camp, but also afterward.
The heartbreaking tale of three sisters and their journey through the concentration camps.  It was beautifully told but so hard to read at times because of the hardships they faced.  Still, Heather Morris does a fantastic (almost too good) job of making you feel like you are there with them; you feel their pain, their joy, and their love for one another.  I loved this book for the women it brought into my life but am sad for the story it told.

The narration was very well done.  The narrator's voice was soothing at the right times, making it easier to stomach some of the atrocities they had to read.  Excellent job!
This book was quite a powerful read! Though it is challenging, and downright disturbing at times, to read about the terrors of the Holocaust and the evil that was present, I find it important to not forget the harm humans can do to others, and put things in perspective during our current challenges.

This book was written by the same author as "The Tattooist of Auschwitz", another great read. This book shares similarities, parallel story lines, and ups and downs, though through very different perspective and lenses.

Perhaps the strongest theme I see through this book is the power of love, and its ability to withstand and overcome hate and evil.

The premise of the story is three sisters who make promises to put each other first and put love first as children. As the Germans are putting Jews into concentration camps and isolating them, the story delineates the family struggles along the way, the fractures upon the family unit, and this family's response by working to stay together.

The day-to-day tortures and stresses of being a prisoner in Auschwitz are clearly delineated. If beomes clear the main factor allowing survival is holding on to love, the fact the sisters can encourage and support each other, and the hope of a new tomorrow from this.

This is such a powerful story as the sisters survive the prison life, are able to escape, and slowly, with struggles along the way, rebuild their lives. Significant to me as a reader is the outlook and perspective the sisters have after being a prisoner. Examples include living inside a shed, and being thankful and proud to have this personal space, until they are able to work and save enough to get bigger living quarters.

The sisters eventually journey to Israel for a new start. I love this section of the book, as the sister's rebuild their lives and their families, and find new callings. There are certainly emotional challenges along the way, especially guilt and moral injury to the sisters and their families reflect on their survival and the passing of others. But I truly love the closing by focusing on mindfulness, healing and acceptance of the past to allow the sisters to move on into a new life. I think this is perhaps the main lesson of this book and applicable for any challenges we face these days.

I highly recommend!
Thanks for the chance to listen to this audiobook. Compelling story about the bonds of three sisters during World War II. Interesting because it includes parts before they are forced into concentration camps and their time afterwards. Narrator was excellent.
Three Sisters is another phenomenal book by the author that brought us The Tattooist of Auschwitz.  It’s based off of a true story of three Slovakian sisters that made a promise to their father to always protect each other.  No one could have imagined the pure nightmare that these girls would have to endure. It is so important for these stories to be told so that new generations don’t forget the horrific crimes committed against an entire group of people just because of their faith.  I’m grateful to the survivors that have found the strength to tell their stories.

The narrator of the audiobook did an amazing job of bringing the story to life.  The emotions were brought through.  The pacing was well done.  I would definitely listen to another story narrated by her.
4.5 stars rounded up. Based on true events, this was a moving and heart wrenching story about an incredible journey. Three sisters surviving and learning to thrive during and after the Holocaust, face tragedy and obstacles. I listened to the audiobook of this and could not stop listening as it was a captivating read. The ending where there were actual accounts of some of the sisters and their descendants was done beautifully. Three Sisters was a story about survival, love, family and promises. I highly recommend this one, if your heart can take it.