Cover Image: War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm

War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm

Another Rosie Clarke book, this time a brand new series for 2021. I have read the majority of her other series of books, The Harper Girls and Mulberry Lane, both these are series that takes the reader right back in time, with such a lot of colourful and unique characters. I have been waiting very patiently for this book blog tour, now it is time and I am bringing my Thoughts on War Clouds over Blackberry Farm.
As Rosie Clarke always does, she has captured the feel of the time she writes about. The threat of war looms closer and then arrives at the shores of England. The changes begin and even on Blackberry Farm, it is very apparent as their workers are replaced by the new Land Army.
This book concentrates on Lizzie and Tom two well-made characters who are in a relationship and everyone in their village expects nothing but marriage, but as life is cruel they are thrown a curveball in which the fallout means Lizzie rushes off to London and Tom just immerses himself into his work. These two are just meant to be together and this made me keep reading to discover if this pair makeup and deal with their issues so they can have their perfect life together.
Rosie Clarke is an expert at writing sagas that bring you love, friendships, family and the strifes of yesteryear like you are there. She has again perfected a historical saga that brings a ton of new characters and a different setting.
It isn't fully sweetness and light and the darker issues put the reader on edge as it looms over the characters, again this added a bit more tension, to keep us on our toes! I am looking forward to the next Instalment from Blackberry Farm.
Thanks to Rachel's Random Resources
 Boldwood Books and netgalley for the copy of the book.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for the chance to read this ARC

This is the first book in a new series and starts with life before and at the start of WW2. It of course starts with Blackberry Farm but also tells of life within the hairdressing fraternity and life for those in London.
As with many historical fiction sagas there is love and loss, misunderstandings and of course, the genre wouldnt be right without an out and out rotter.
But it was cleverly left open-ended and you know that there will be more to come in this particular characters life.

The book did end abruptly but it was well advertised as the first in a new series so it had to end somewhere.

This quickly became one of those books that I would sneak extra reading time rather than just before bed.

Personally I can't wait for the next episode

Thank you again for the chance to read this in return for my review which is my own opinion
Rosie always gives us great books that are very well written and interesting. This was a great read and I can't wait for her next book to be released. 5 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this e ARC
I love all Rosie’s series and looked forward to this new series and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s set at the start of World War Two and there are lots of great characters to get to know. There is lots going on in this book, and I am looking forward to more from Blackberry Farm in the future. The story is well written and leaves you wanting more. A well deserved five star read.
With thanks to netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review which I freely give.

I have read books by Rosie Clarke before and enjoyed them, this is no exception and is the first book in a new series which begins just before the beginning of WWII. This is another very enjoyable read. Very tangled in that Lizzie & Tom are going out and that Lizzie believes Tom wants to marry her. That is until Bad boy Ralf appears. Tom has half brothers & sisters who all become entwined in this WWII story. Because of Ralf Lizzie leaves home for London and finds nice lodgings and family along with a good job in a hairdressers. I do not want to expand as I do not want to spoil the story and ending. For me some of the reading did not 'flow' like other books by Rosie, however it is still a good read an I can recommend.
Such a delightfully believable book, with some wonderfully warm characters.

We catch up again with Tom and Lizzie's story. They are so in love with each other but an unfortunate event causes them heartache.  seeing Lizzie fleeing from the countryside of Cambridgeshire to London.

The story is of family, love, sadness, with a few smiles. It is a lovely book that will keep you engrossed to the end. There are some really lovely warm moments from the characters and then some not-so but all in all a book to really enjoy.  Set on the edge of war it also brings fears for the family and their friends.

I can't wait for the next episode to find out what happens next.
Thank you Rosie for such a wonderful book.

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this lovely book. xx
Now I don't generally read a lot of war time sagas (maybe only a handful) but this one intrigued me and I just had to give it a go....I'm very glad that I did !

This book is set in 1939 Cambridgeshire,  the war clouds are gathering over Europe , Blackberry Farm will be torn apart and the Talbots lives will never be the same ! Their lives will soon be entwined with the Salmom family in London , they must find strength in each other to get through the most difficult time in their lives . We also have the love story of Lizzie Johnson and Tom.

Even though there is a lot going on in the book , the author has done it so that it flow with ease through the book without leaving the reader confused. The characters are ones that are very easy to feel empathy for even though I couldn't imagine the fear and terror going through them at the time. It definitely kept me hooked on reading the book
Thanks to Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book.  A new series and as with all Rosie Clarke book instantly hooked from page one.  Loved all the family characters set during the war years, their love, relationship , struggles and sheer determination to get on with life.     Can’t wait for the next book and continuing saga .
A war time historical fiction with so much going on……overcoming adversities, friendships and family.
Main characters Lizzie and Tom are in love but their relationship is not going as they hoped.  Will Lizzie going to London to work and Tom staying back home strengthen their relationship or cause issues?  Will the war affect their love for each other?  Will they find happiness?  You must read this book to find out!
A engaging story that will draw you in.  Looking forward to reading more from Rosie Clarke and this series.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Rosie Clarke bring us a brand new series, introduced with this book. A book in the WWII era about family, friendship, love and how the times of war affects the community. I love historical novels in that saga subgenre because of how it always have that sense of community and understanding. The characters could be our family members and these could be the stories our grandparents told.

As we get to know the families and the main characters we get to follow in this journey, we are also introduce to the rural ton of Blackberry Farm and also the context of the WWII at that time. I could help myself, I as very curious to know what would happen next. I wanted happiness for the characters and my heart was with them from beginning to end.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and since it was the start of a new series, it made sense that not everything was resolved or even uncovered, and I can't wait for the next book.

[I want to thank Rachel, at Rachel’s Random Resources, and Rosie Clarke for the eCopy of this book, via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.]
War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is a detailed well thought out story that Has a good flow and is easy to follow. The reader is pulled into the story from the first page...
I like how Clarke has transported the reader into the story with a great amount of research into the affects of WW2 as it begins. Also how she has created an interesting and strong plot!
The character development of War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is good. The characters are realistic and relatable. Lizzie flees to London after a tragic mistake causes a rift between her and the man she loves, Tom. The reader sees how Lizzie pulls her life together...all she needs now is to get Tom to forgive her!
I would recommend reading War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm to lovers of Women's Fiction and Historical Fiction, as it is a engaging and emotional character driven story that gives glimpses into the backstories of characters and let's the reader see as friendship, family, love and loss take hold of the characters...
Having read just about everything this author has written I was excited to start a new book, and it certainly didn't disappoint. It's a fantastic start to what's going to be a great series, loved everything about it, I'll be patiently waiting for the next installment.
4.5 Stars

Saga favourite Rosie Clarke is back with a captivating new novel that kicks off a fantastic new series set in Cambridgeshire that will delight her legion of fans and win her scores of new readers: War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm.

In 1939, Europe was on the precipice of yet another war. Life was going to be turned on its head for every single person in the land and the Talbot family are certainly not impervious from the pain, anguish and misery that this bloody conflict was going to bring. Finding themselves torn apart and broken beyond repair, the destiny of this family is going to be intertwined with that of another clan living all the way in London who will also feel the agonizing sorrow of loss: the Salmons. Brought together by war, but united in the most unexpected of ways, both families will find themselves relying on one another as Europe goes to war all over again.

Lizzie Johnson and Tom had been head over heels in love with one another and had thought that they were going to be spending the rest of their lives together – until a tragic mistake had caused a terrible rift that had resulted in Lizzie fleeing to London and leaving Tom behind. Despite of how hard she has tried, Lizzie has never quite managed to forget Tom or to put her relationship with him behind her. Although she knows that Tom still loves her, can she draw a line under the past and give Tom a second chance? Or will the war end up tearing them asunder for good?

With so much at stake and so much to lose, will Lizzie and Tom ever find their way back to one another? Or should they consign their relationship to the past?

Rosie Clarke’s name on a book cover is a surefire guarantee of exceptional storytelling and War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is no different. A heartfelt and poignant saga that draws readers in from the very beginning and immerses them into a world of courage, loyalty and love, War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is a vivid, enthralling and spellbinding saga that is a joy to lose oneself in.

Full of nuanced characters it is impossible not to care about, emotional family drama and tender romance, Rosie Clarke’s War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is another winner for this outstanding writer of historical sagas.
I’m always so excited when a new Rosie Clarke book comes out and this one is just gorgeous!

We meet Lizzie and Tom and things have gone very wrong for them. When Lizzie runs off to London, I just couldn’t see how things would work out for them, and I really wanted them to reunite. But war is coming, and everything is about to change for everyone.

I just flew through the pages of this enchanting book. I felt as if I had known the characters for ages, and found it so easy to get into the story. There is one despicable character, but most are lovely, and there’s heartache and happiness throughout, as people adapt to war times.

I’m delighted to say there there are some unresolved issues in this book, so I’m hopeful that this will be another wonderful series to look forward to.

A book to totally fall in love with, to completely lose yourself in, it will entertain and enrapture you. Just wonderful.
Set in the days leading up to and in the early days of Germany’s invasion of Belgium, War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm depicts life as it might have been in both the city and rural living.  There are historical details, family life, romance, working women, a villain, and even discussion of increased pay for women!  A topic still relevant today.
I love Rosie's books and War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm is no exception.  Her attention to detail is exceptional; the women are strong, capable ladies who know what they want from life.  I loved how Harpers was incorporated into the novel!  I do hope that this is the first in a new series.
What a way to start a New series.  This author is my favorite historical fiction series author. I fell in love with all of the characters. Seriously i could feel their pain when they were hurting. I laughed with them when something good happened to them. Bring on the next book in the series. Thank you to netgalley for letting me read This e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
I have been a fan of Rosie’s work for a while now.  I haven’t quite caught up with everything that she has written but I am getting there.  When I heard that Rosie had started to write a new saga series, I knew I had to read the first book as soon as possible.  Well ladies and gents the wait is over as ‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ was released on 4th November 2021.  I absolutely loved reading ‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ but more about that in a bit.
I absolutely loved the characters of Lizzie Johnson and Tom Talbot.  Both live in the same village and they are in a relationship.  Everybody expects them to marry and it’s just a case of ‘when’ and not ‘if’.  However as often is the case, life throws Lizzie and Tom a curveball and life as they know it will not be the same again.  I won’t go too far into what happens other than to say it’s a serious matter.  Lizzie flees to London and Tom throws himself into his work.  Tom has a hot temper and has been known to fly off the handle when provoked.  Lizzie and Tom are perfectly suited as a couple and I kept everything crossed and hoped that they would work out their various issues and that they would both find the ‘happy ever after’ ending that both so deserved.  What happens?  Well to find out you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
As with all of Rosie’s books I was drawn into this story from the synopsis alone and the story between the book’s covers just sealed the deal as it were.  I instinctively knew that I would become addicted to this story and that I wouldn’t be able to put the book down for any length of time.  I was right on both counts.  To say that reading ‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ became addictive is like saying that I like cake- in other words a massive understatement.  My Kindle wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me.  I just couldn’t bear to miss a single second of the story.  This was one of those books that was constantly on my mind – if I wasn’t reading about the story then I was thinking about it, if I had to put the book down then I would immediately look forward to being able to pick the book up again.  I found ‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ to be an emotional and gripping read, which kept me guessing and which kept me on the edge of my seat.
‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ is superbly written but then I think that all of Rosie’s books are superbly written.  Rosie has one of those easy going writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.  In fact, reading one of Rosie’s books feels more like a chat between friends than reading an actual book.  I hope that makes sense.  For me, the story hits the ground running and maintains a fairly fast pace throughout.   Rosie clearly cares about her characters and this shines through in her writing and the way in which she describes the characters.  Rosie does a huge amount of historical research and this makes the story teem that bit more authentic.  I love the way in which Rosie makes the reader feel as though they are part of the story and at the heart of the action.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘War Clouds Over Blackberry Farm’ and I would recommend this book to other readers.  I will certainly be reading more of Rosie’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
I have been a fan of Rosie Clarke's for a long time now and was very excited to see that she had started another series of books. I am in awe of how hard this author must work - she's constantly releasing something and her books never disappoint!
This is yet another that I loved and can't wait for the next in the series.
Seriously, if you've never read any  of Rosie's books before, I highly recommend them - she's such a good author who has just the right amount of romance, drama and intrigue to get you hooked from the beginning!
Having read some.of Rosie's other books this one did not disappoint either, i absolutely loved the characters in the story and the how the story was brought to life on the pages, i actually read this whole book in an afternoon as i couldn't put it down, loved the story following Lizzie and Tom and thought Pam and Vera were wonderful as well
Cant wait for the next instalment of blackberry farm and  to catch up with all the lovely characters