Cover Image: The Bookseller's Promise

The Bookseller's Promise

A mixture of romance and grief,  many readers of contemporary Amish fiction will appreciate this story involving love in a bookstore. There is a slight age gap between the romantic couple, kind of like a big brother and little sister relationship turned to love. Though some parts were predictable, it did not take away from the “awww” moments. There were a couple of unexpected folklore mentions. A good standalone with a literary twist.

Thanks to Zondervan and NetGalley for the e-galley. I listened to the audiobook for this review. My reviews and ratings are my own.
Beth Wiseman brings to life a story of remaining faithful in spite of the world's pressures.

Bookseller Jake Lantz is in the business of selling books, both used and new. When he is approached by Yvonne Wilson about selling a book he owns, he is stunned - first by the $100,000 price tag she offers, and second because it's the one book he promised his grandfather he'd never sell. Can he remain firm in his resolve as the price she offers continues to climb?

Eva Graber has worked as Jake's assistant since she was 15, and has loved him most of that time. Now 20, she sees herself becoming an old maid before Jake notices that she has grown into a woman he could love. When he begins spending time with Englisher Yvonne, she feels like she needs to give another suitor a chance. Can she convince her heart to turn from Jake though?

Eva and Jake decide that, if this book is so valuable to Yvonne's client, they really should read it to find out what the fuss is about. As they read it together, they discover answers to questions Yvonne has been asking them all along. When tragedy strikes, can they help her see the God who loves her, the God who comforts her, and the God who will hold her up in her grief?

I listened to an audio copy of this book and the story kept me mesmerized. I loved how Jake decided what to do with the book, and the effect the book had on its readers. Once again, Wiseman brings characters who are a credit to the Amish faith and who understand that all the wealth in the world can't buy peace or happiness. I enjoyed this book a great deal and definitely recommend!
The Bookseller's Promise by Beth Wiseman

Jake and his friend Eva run the bookstore and gift shop.

Jake was contacted by  Yvonne , a rare book buyer from Texas, who has a client from Indiana who is willing to pay almost anything to get a certain book believed to be at the Amish Bookstore.

What is so special about this book that neither the bookseller or the buyer know anything about?

This is a book about love on all levels. A book you don't want to stop reading. Settle in for a weekend read.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Zondervan for allowing me to read and review this wonderful book. The review is in my own words.
A new series from Beth Wiseman and the story involves a bookstore . . . what could be better? How about a little mystery and romance? Well that's in there too.

Jake Lantz inherited the bookstore from his grandfather along with a mysterious old book. Jake's grandfather gave it all to him with the only stipulation being that he not ever sell the book. Jake made the promise and fully intends to keep it.

It just so happens that Yvonne Wilson from Texas is looking for that exact book and tracks it down to Jake's bookstore. On a whim she decides to make the trip to Indiana to try to convince Jake to sell it. That trip will change all of their lives.

Throughout the story I loved the subtle reminder that no matter the circumstances God works everything out for His people. It's often in the bleakest of times that He makes His plan known.

I enjoyed the faith journey of Yvonne and the budding romance of longtime friends Jake and Eva and I look forward to reading more about these delightful people in coming books in the series.

I received a copy of this book to facilitate my review.
I very much enjoyed reading this novel. This was the first time I've read an Amish romance - and first time to read anything written by Beth Wiseman. I hope and plan to read more! I loved reading about the horse and buggy transportation system, the traditions, and the simplicity of the Amish culture. The kindness of the Amish people and the contrast of the English woman's lifestyle made this a perfect introduction for me to the world of Amish Christian fiction.

What's better than reading a book about books? I especially liked that a special book was so important in this story set in a bookstore. This story is perfect for bookish people, which most readers are. I also appreciated how the characters reminded us that the Bible is the best and most important book of all.
4.5 stars.

The Bookseller's Promise by Beth Wiseman is a heartwarming Amish Romance.

Thirty-two-year-old Yvonne Wilson is a book broker whose search for a rare book leads her to an Amish Bookstore in Montgomery, IL. Although twenty-five-year-old Jake Lantz has already told her the book is not for sale, she decides to visit him in person to try to change his mind. Yvonne’s fiancé Trevor Adams has to go elsewhere on business, so she travels to Indiana on her own. When meeting with Jake for the first time, he again informs her the book is not for sale. Undaunted, Yvonne remains in town where she gets to know Jake and his employee, nineteen-year-old Eva Graber.  Acting completely out of character, she makes an impetuous decision that initially unnerves her.

Although she loves Trevor, Yvonne is a little leery of losing her independence. She does not want to lose herself after their wedding so she is relying on getting Jake to sell the book her buyer is looking for. Yvonne is surprised by how much she likes him and Eva but she worries she might lose her client if she fails to make the acquisition for him.  Deciding to see if time will change Jake’s mind, she instead enjoys sightseeing and giving Eva advice for letting Jake know she is interested in him.

Jake knows that his friend John Yoder is interested in Eva so he ignores any feelings for her other than friendship. He is not looking forward to hiring someone to replace her if things work out for her and John.  Jake is less than happy when Yvonne shows up at the bookstore, but he refuses to consider breaking his promise to his grandfather to never sell the book. He has not read the book so he surprised by Yvonne’s reaction to it.

Eva’s longtime crush on Jake has deepened over the years and she is frustrated he does not seem to notice she is now grown up. She is at first jealous of Yvonne, but the two soon become fast friends. Finally deciding it is time to stop waiting on Jake, Eva accepts a date with John. But is the man for her?

The Bookseller's Promise is a poignant inspirational romance. Yvonne is a wonderful woman who eventually comes to question her long-held views on faith. Jake has always liked Eva but he worries that it might be too late for a chance to take their relationship beyond friendship. Eva is an appealing young woman whose dream of a future with Jake might be out of reach. Beth Wiseman weaves the different story arcs into a compelling and captivating novel that will resonate with readers. This first installment in The Amish Bookstore Novels series is off to a marvelous beginning that will leave fans eagerly awaiting the next installment.
The Bookseller’s Promise is the first novel in the “Amish Bookstore Novel” series. If you are a fan of the series ``The Amish Inn”, you will love this book.  Esther and Lizzie, the two sisters who own The Peony Inn also made an appearance in this book.  Jake Lanz runs a bookstore and Eva Graber works for him.  Eva has a crush on Jake but he doesn’t know it.  Yvonne Wilson is from Texas and she comes to Indiana trying to buy a rare book from Jake.  The problem is- his grandfather told him that he was never allowed to sell it.  As Yvonne is trying to get Jake to sell, Eva is struggling with her feelings for Jake.
I picked this up, I couldn't put it down.  I highly recommend this book if you believe that love will conquer all. I want to thankBath Wiseman, Zondervan, and Netgalley for a complimentary copy of the book. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
The Bookseller’s Promise by Beth Wiseman is Book 1 in her Amish Bookstore Series. It is a Contemporary Amish Fiction and so good! There is intrigue, romance, twists, and surprises. Author Wiseman has a gift for storytelling and bringing faith into her stories.

The characters are believable and fun.  The story was captivating and grabbed my attention early and did not let go. I highly recommend this.  Amish Fiction lovers will devour this and contemporary fiction lovers will, too, as this isn’t typical and predictable. It is a page-turning delight. It gets 5 stars from me. A copy was provided from Net Galley but these are my honest words.
How does one rare book change lives?  Jake Lantz promised his grandfather that he would never sell the rare book that Yvonne Wilson is so set on buying for her client.  No matter the amount of money Jake vows to not sell. Why is he being so stubborn?  As Jake begins to read the book with his longtime employee Eva, will he find the answers he seeks?  As the three lives of Jake, Eva, and Yvonne merge, each will face decisions and paths that they never anticipated. Will they come out the other side stronger and better? What secrets does the book uncover?  I received a copy from Netgalley.  A review was not required.
This is an Amish Romance, and this is the first book in the Amish Bookstore series. This book follows three main people in this book (two Amish character and one English). I really loved that this was not the normal Amish Romance, and I love that one English character played on important part of this book. I love that there was an English character that was one of the main characters. The romance in this book was super cute and fun. I also loved the mystery around a book in this book which made the storyline in this book so great. Overall, I found this book fun and cute with a deep meaning put into it. Great Read. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Zondervan) or author (Beth Wiseman) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
Thanks #NetGalley @Zondervan @HarperCollins for a complimentary eARC of #TheBooksellersPromise by Beth Wiseman upon my request. All opinions are my own.

In her job, Yvonne hunts down and purchases rare books for collectors who are willing to pay high prices. Her current search leads her to an Amish bookstore where she meets Jake, the handsome owner, and Eva, his employee. Yvonne is surprised to hear that Jake refuses to sell his rare book despite an outrageously high offer, but she is persistent and confidant of her gifts of persuasion and decides to stay in Amish country for a while. During her stay, Yvonne becomes friends with Jake and Eva and also begins to rethink her personal life. Will she break off her engagement? Will she discover why Jake will not sell the book at any price? Will Yvonne, Jake, and Eva find true love?

A book about books + a rural bookshop/community + likeable characters = yes, please! Just when I was looking for something escapist, gently told, and HEA (happily ever after), The Bookseller’s Promise was offered for my review consideration. Occassionally, I enjoy a lovely Amish read!

I enjoyed all three well-drawn characters and appreciated the story unfolding in three perspectives. One of the three is English (outsider) and this added to the complexity of the story. I liked their developing friendship and the thoughtful reflection on the differences in culture, values, and lifestyle.

Although chick lit embraces predictability, The Bookseller’s Promise has a couple of nice twists. The relationships and romance didn’t evolve in the direction I initially expected, but no cause for alarm…. each characters receives a HEA or Happy For Now ending! Books about books and stories set in bookshops are always a fun element for any reader! Because I grew up in the rural midwest, I always enjoy a quaint country setting.

Of course, in Amish fiction there are themes of faith and mention of God. In addition, I appreciate thoughtful themes including friendship, women supporting women, romance (completely  closed door), forgiveness, family loyalty, a love of reading, supportive community, honoring the past, and keeping a promise.

For readers who are looking for a gently told and engaging women’s fiction read with faith themes, likeable characters, and a rural bookstore setting, I can whole heartedly recommend The Bookseller’s Promise. Also, this is the first book in a planned series, so that’s enticing!
Once again, Beth Wiseman has written a novel that speaks to the heart and soul. It is the first in a new series entitled, "Amish Bookstore". Although labeled as Amish Fiction, this book will appeal to all readers who wish to be completely immersed in tale of richly and realistically described characters. These individuals grab you and pull you into their lives , enabling you to truly experience every trial and challenge with which they cope.  I felt as though all of these characters became my best friends, sometimes making me giggle and other times shed a tear. Beth manages to bring the world of The Amish together with that of the Englischers in an imaginative yet realistic manner. The plot is full of twists and turns, involving mystery as well as romance. This novel is one not to be missed!! The master storyteller has done it once again! A five star book!

This book was provided by NetGalley. The thoughts expressed are honest and my own.
Amish romance and mystery

I always enjoy Beth Wiseman's books and this one is definitely worth reading.  It's part romance, part mystery, and addresses some universal questions -- how do we know there is a god? Will he/she appear to us? Is he/she relevant to our life?  What about grief?  What about love?  It looks like is it part 1 of a new series, and I can't wait to see the next book!

Thank you to the publisher who lent me a time-constrained e-arc via Netgalley.  This review is optional and my own opinion.
Yvonne travels to Amish country to try to convince a bookseller to sell a book to her for her client. He steadfastly refuses due to a promise he made his grandfather.  He doesn't understand why the book was so important to him but he intends to keep his word.

This was not my favorite Wiseman book.   I had a couple issues with it.  Jake made me a little crazy.  He was kind of back and forth.  I didn't believe his "affection change" because there didn't seem to be anything before to give a hint of it.  It seemed more a response to someone else showing an interest in Eva.

It also was a little weird that part of this book was a reading of the book in question.   It kind of makes sense since it was about that book but it affected the flow.

There were some surprises in the book.  I wasn't expecting it to deal with loss and grief.  Lizzie provided some comic relief.  I would be interested to see what happens next for Abraham or John.

Thank you to Zondervan for providing me with a free e-copy of this book.  All opinions are my own.
Yvonne Wilson is a book broker, and she is trying to get Jake Lantz to sell her a rare volume.  Jake made a promise to his grandfather that he would never sell the book.  Yvonne travels to Montgomery, Indiana to convince Jake to sell her the book.  Yvonne does not know how anyone can resist $100,000.  Yvonne is engaged to marry Trevor in a few months, but she finds herself attracted to the handsome Amish bookseller.  She can tell, though, that his employee, Eva is in love with him.  Yvonne’s visit along with the rare book is about to change all of their lives.  The Bookseller’s Promise by Beth Wiseman is a heartwarming Amish tale.  It is the beginning of The Amish Bookstore Novels.  This novel is well-written with realistic, developed characters.  The story is told from three points-of-view:  Eva, Jake, and Yvonne (the Englischer).  I like that we get to see things from each of their perspectives, but it does lead to some repetition.  I liked this unique Amish novel.  It is not your standard Amish romance.  Family and faith play a big role in the story.  It is important to pray and rely on God.  He is there for us in the tough times and the good.  Yvonne was raised by her aunt and uncle who are unbelievers.  Yvonne does not believe in heaven which surprises Jake and Eva.  I liked following Yvonne as she spent time in Montgomery and got to know people.  Yvonne is in for a surprising journey.  The romance was sweet and amusing at times.  It is a clean story with the only PDA being a few kisses.  It was interesting learning about the special book that Yvonne’s client desires.   I enjoyed the epilogue which paves the way for The Story of Love.  I cannot wait to read the next chapter in these characters lives.  The Bookseller’s Promise is a touching story with a treasured tome, wedding worries, an unexpected trip, a clamorous client, a bouncy buggy ride, an astounding accident, an extraordinary revelation, and a gracious God.
Bookdealer Yvonne Wilson is determined to buy the rare book that her client wants. After the Amish bookstore owner Jake Lantz refused $100k for the book, Yvonne flies to Indiana to charm him into selling it to her. Jake has never read the book, but he promised his grandfather that he would never sell the book. With the encouragement of his assistant Eva, Jake agrees to read the book out loud with her. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. I love how this rare book on faith pulled them together. I quickly became wrapped up with the characters and their story. I look forward to the next book in this series.
I enjoy Beth Wiseman's books. When I saw this one was coming out, AND it had a bookish theme, I immediately requested it!

The Bookseller's Promise has a slow start and is description-driven (which if you have been reading my reviews for a while, you know I am not fond of).  The story follows Eva, Yvonne, and Jake, told in third person from their perspectives.

I enjoyed the premise of the book. I loved the setting and admired Jake for wanting to keep his promise. This is a quick read with an unexpected plot twist in the middle. The end of the story seems to be setting the stage for the second book.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves Amish romances. Fans of Kathleen Fuller, Wanda Brunstetter, and Amy Clipston will enjoy this one.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
The Bookseller’s Promise is a very well written Amish story.  I enjoyed the plot and the character dynamics.  If you enjoy Amish fiction you will enjoy this book.  I received an advance ebook from Netgalley.  This is my unbiased review.
Honestly a fun easy read that was a really lovely break from the world. Amish romances are a pretty great escape, and this one hit all the marks - always fun when they do amish and english worlds!
"The Bookseller's Promise" leads readers on a journey through hope and heartbreak, as well as lost and found loves. English and Amish worlds collide in this novel about a mysterious book and those who seek to own it. The subplots of romance between both Amish and English couples add interest to this novel by a well-known and loved author of Amish fiction.

When book broker Yvonne cannot convince Amish bookseller Jake to sell her a rare book, no matter how much money she offers, Yvonne determines to visit him in person to plead her case. While she is gone on her book buying trip, her fiance Trevor embarks on a business trip. Both look forward to their upcoming wedding. Yvonne's arrival at Jake's bookstore results in some tense and also hilarious moments, as Jake and Yvonne try to come to some agreement about the rare book Yvonne seeks to purchase.

Eva works in the bookstore with Jake, but desires to become more than his employee. When Jake refuses to see her as the lovely young woman who wants to win his heart, Eva determines to move on to date another Amish man.

Yvonne and Eva become fast friends and share secrets and romantic plans for their futures. When tragedy strikes, Yvonne must confront her own beliefs, with some help from Jake's mysterious book.

This book is set in Montgomery, Indiana. The establishments mentioned exist, adding authenticity to the events in this novel. As an Indiana resident, I was excited to read about places familiar to me. I appreciate the author's attention to detail. I hope this is just the first in a new series, as the stage has been set for the further adventures of characters who appeared in this book.

Themes include struggles with faith, loss of loved ones, joys and trials of relationships, and the differences between the Amish and non-Amish cultures. The characters are well-developed and realistic. The Christian message in this sweet and clean novel is overt. Readers who enjoy books about Amish people and culture will also enjoy the twists and turns of this story.

I received this novel from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.