Cover Image: The Insecure Mind of Sergei Kraev

The Insecure Mind of Sergei Kraev

I enjoyed this future fiction book, read from a historical perspective, the narration is told through an elder that survived the "4-17" event.  Not giving much away here, as we learn about the event itself in the first chapter; much of the book is about the complex way we got to "4-17".  While this is post-apocalypse telling of the story, it is a not a post-apocalyptic tale, the after math of 4-17 is long gone. You'll have to forgive a couple of breaks in the story, going either back to the present or way back in the past to explain some of the technology or relevant aspect of society (I personally did not like these, it breaks my time flow in a book).  Really the book is about the complexities of connected humanity: jealously, power, celebrity, lust, hubris, want of community, to be acknowledged, understood, and loved.   Overall, if you are a fan of speculative fiction without the heavy post-apocalyptic feel, I think you'll enjoy this one.

Please Note:  I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley, that never impacts the content of my reviews.
this had what i was looking for in this type of book, I enjoyed the scifi elements. The characters were great and I really enjoyed their background.
A delightful debut from the imaginative mind of Eric Silberstein
I have been reading science fiction for more years than I am willing to admit publicly, and I fell in love with SF because of the wonderfully imaginative world-building and speculation about what the future holds , as Robert A Heinlein said,  “ If this goes on….” Eric Silberstein’s debut novel reminds me of the best of classic SF in his very creative speculations about how political and governmental world winds might shift in the next 100 years (Hint: the book takes place primarily in Korea and Israel). He is equally imaginative (without engaging in technodumps ) in thinking about what might be the challenges of neural implants. It was fun to learn that olfaction, smelling, could be a special challenge because of the way the process of smell is tied to our limbic system and to hear about the excitement the first day the world could wake up to the smell of virtual coffee! There is even a full list of the program for a professional conference, with topics like “Sleepless in Sweden: is implant-induced micro napping a sufficient replacement for traditional sleep?” Given the depth of detail Silberstein has worked out about this future it was no surprise to read in the Author’s Note at the end of the book that he read nineteen books, including books on music and dance, for his research.
But enough about the speculative aspects of the fiction: how is it as a novel? The plot is exciting, with a nice denouement; the pace really keeps the reader’s attention; and the characters seem like people you might know, with believable human faults and desires. It is no surprise that a lot of the characters are scientists, but there is a nice contrast added by the music and dance troupe that are also prominent, not to mention a cult that reminded me of similar groups in our recent history. I could even imagine recommending the book to friends who do not normally read science fiction but might not be averse to imagining the future in an interesting way.
It is hard to believe this is a debut novel. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what this author does next!