Cover Image: The Fashion Orphans

The Fashion Orphans

Gabi and Lulu were close as children even though Gabi was eight years older. After Lulu's husband dies suddenly at 45 and Gabi's marriage falls apart they become estranged. Upon their mother's death the girls are called to a lawyer's office for the reading of the will. They find out Bette didn't have a lot of money but she left them her collection and the lawyer is the one who has to approve how they dispose of it.

Most of the time I didn't care for Lulu. Having gotten married at 19, having a baby and becoming a part of her in-law's bakery and then losing her husband I can understand her devastation but at times I felt like she was wallowing in her grief. Gabi also was grieving the demise of her marriage and the loss of the life style she had when she was married. All the sisters had left was each other so as they work through what to do with the "collection" they have to work through their different personalities and different ideas for how to handle the terms of the will.

I thought the characters were pretty well developed. It would have been nice to know more about Matt, Lulu's husband, and more about the bakery, Quattro's. Victoria, one her sisters-in-law seemed quite the character. I would love to see another book focusing on Lulu's son, Seth, and his husband, Gus, who now works at the bakery.

Thank you to Netgalley and Blue Box Press for providing me with a digital copy.
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

Gabrielle and Lulu are estranged half-sisters that have just lost their mother Bette.  Bette was never one for affection; however, she did love her girls fiercely.

After the service, the girls arrive at the lawyer's office for the reading of the will as dictated by Bette's final wishes.  The reading of the will leaves cryptic message for the girls to figure out.  Upon going to their mother's apartment - they find a super-sized closet filled to the brim with vintage and runway, high end clothing, shoes, and accessories.  What are they to do with this mess?  They did not know it even existed.

Together, the girls have to come up with a plan on how to handle their mother's estate and receive approval from the estate attorney before doing anything. Can they fix their relationship and come up with a plan or will they continue down the same path they are on and make no decisions.

I had a hard time putting down this book.  I had to know what happened next and what happened to the characters.  I look forward to more books by these authors.
This was such a fun and warm book, which I wasn't expecting! I am fascinated by fashion history, so I am definitely the right person to read this, and it did not disappoint. I thought that Gabrielle and Lulu were imperfectly lovable, and I was rooting for them the whole way through. From the description of the sisters, I thought it would be heavier/darker, but it was the perfect lighthearted read! (I read it while I had covid, and it let me escape for an afternoon!)
If you love, live for, or appreciate fashion (yes, yes, and yes for me), you will probably enjoy this book for that aspect alone.

It’s light, fun, funny, and, at times, touching… given there are also themes of death and estrangement… this in itself is a feat. The characters have flaws, and it gave me vibes of Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeny’s The Nest… which I really enjoyed.

This isn’t some deep commentary about family ties, and readers expecting that will be disappointed. However, if you take this book for what it is… a potential beach read… a palate cleanser between heavy reads, you will enjoy this much more.
#thefashionorphans #randysusanmeyers #ajrose #blueboxpress two half, estranged sisters. After their mothers passing they must go through her extensive Chanel collection. Together they must sort through the items deciding what to do. Along the way they discover little notes from their mom to them. Details about a life of a woman they thought they knew. This is a story of mothers. Daughters. Sisters. And unlikely friendships. It’s a cozy read for rainy days. #netgalley #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #fashion #cocochanel #death #family
As much as I enjoyed reading this, I am not very fashion forward nor do I have much interest in branded items so I couldn’t appreciate the story fully.

This story follows two estranged sisters, Gabrielle and Lulu who inherited their Mom’s extensive Chanel collection after she passed away. In her will, she wanted the two sisters to go through her collection and make a decision on what to do with it together. As they work through their decisions and rummage through her collection, Gabrielle and Lulu saw a side of their mother they didn’t know. What’s more heartwarming was how their mother had hidden little notes for her daughters to find which helped bring them closer together.

Sisterhood is the main theme of the story. It’s about going through grief, overcoming their differences and understanding the importance of family. Throw in a closet full of Chanel, a little hint of magic and love and you have yourself a heartwarming Hallmark-ish story.

This was definitely a light and fun read but it was a little too sappy for my liking. If you are looking for a cozy read, do give this a go.

Thank you Netgalley and Blue Box Press for the arc.
An excellent book! I couldn't put it down! Gabriel and Lulu were wonderfully written characters. I loved their sister bond and their character development throughout the book. The chanel references had me grinning. The Fashion Orphans was an absolute delight!
I absolutely loved this book! I found it hard to put down. I highly recommend reading it! You won’t be disappointed.
I enjoyed this story of sisters, Lulu and Gabrielle.  They are meeting in their mother's lawyer's office to hear her will.  The sisters are both broke and mad at their mother and each other.  They expect some money and see the last of each other.   Their mother has spent her money and filled a secret closet with designer clothes and accessories most by Coco Chanel.  The sisters decide to open a store and sell the secret collection.  Along the way they discover to like each other.  A little predictable but a good story.  I've read previous books by both Meyers and Rose, this was a good collaboration.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I didn't honestly know what to expect from this book - but I was humbly surprised by how much I liked it. The characters were rich, and I loved all the fashion references (like others, had fun googling). While not the most moving plot (some parts dragged for me), I did enjoy this one. A solid three stars. Thank you Netgalley!
"To achieve great things, we must first dream" - Coco Chanel

In her will Bette leaves her 2 daughters a mystery to solve. They are half sisters who are a bit estranged. They must figure out what the mystery is and how to solve it, with the potential being live changing.

This book has so much to love: the beauty and challenges of sisters, mothers and daughters, your parents friends, art, fashion, beauty itself and Coco Chanel.

For me the story of how the girls felt not enough in their mothers eyes, yet the mother, after her death, provided some magic to show her love was everything. Whether through stories her friends shared with the girls or the messages and items she left behind, the mother loved and wished the moon and stars for her daughters.
“𝘈 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴: 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴” – Coco Chanel

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗹𝗼𝘁
💄 Estranged half-sisters, Gabriel and Lulu, arrive for the reading of their mother’s will expecting to receive a sizeable cash inheritance to help them pay off their debts.
💄 They are shocked to learn their mother has left them an extraordinary inheritance consisting of a massive wardrobe of Chanel clothes, shoes, handbags, and accessories with instructions they must decide together how to handle the collection.
💄 Forced to work together, they find notes left for them tucked in the handbags and learn their mother was an extraordinary woman who is seemingly helping them repair their relationship from the beyond.

𝗜 𝗧𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁
I love vintage fashion, so reading and learning some details of the collection was fun for me (with pauses for Googling specific pieces). Their mother was not a loving woman, but she loved the wisdom of Coco Chanel (who died in 1971 with a questionable legacy briefly addressed in the book) and used Chanel’s quotes to reach her daughters after her passing.

This is a heartwarming story about mother-daughter relationships and the bonds sisters share. As the sisters learn more about their mother, they work on their damaged relationship and the importance of family and the family you make.

Recommend for a unique and uplifting story focusing on the ties of family and friends, finding inner strength, and the tiniest hints at romance.
I was given  a copy of this ebook for my honest review.
In the blurb for this book it says “Two estranged sisters find that forgiveness never goes out of style when they inherit their mother’s vintage jackets, purses… and pearls of wisdom.” But to me this was more than two sisters finding their way back to each other after the death of their mother.  What I took from this story was more about women supporting women. No matter the age or financial status each woman had some sort of advice or knowledge to impart to the ones who needed that help. And, there was also the mother’s pearls of wisdom that would show up at the perfect time when one or the other of the sisters needed that little bit of help from Mom.
Upon the death of their mother, both Gabrielle and Lulu are expecting an inheritance; what they aren't expecting is their mother's "collection.  This is a story of mothers, daughters, sisters and unlikely friendships and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There isn't one character that I wouldn't enjoy spending time with.
This is a perfect book for fans of fashion and women lit. I really appreciate having women characters of an older age.
This is a moving story about family and fashion, two of my favorite things. I would kill to get into Bette's closet and loved all of the references to Coco Chanel but it was the two grieving sisters who really stole my heart.
I am not into fashion. I only used to watch Project Runway to be horrified at the clothes and laugh sometimes. So I thought this book would be wasted on me. It wasn't! It was interesting and fun and a great read.

First of all, the sisters are total opposites and of course, each feels that the other had better lives as children and as adults. They're not exactly close at the beginning of the book. So of course trying to agree on what should be done with their mother's collection is going to be bumpy. Their mother knew what she was doing and still managed to teach a few lessons from the beyond.

This is a great book for the beach or a rainy or snowy day, and to slip into a bubble bath with, glass of wine in hand and some Enya in the background.  Go read this book. Me, I'm going to check out other books by these two fantastic authors.

Thank you, NetGalley! These are my opinions and they are freely expressed. Thank you, Randy Sue Meyers and MJ Rose! This is a great book!
Gabrielle and Lulu inherit their mom's vintage collection.  These two estranged sisters will now have to come together to determine what to do with their's mom collection and on this journey they will make new friends and find love and forgiveness.  They will find Chael quotes their mom put in the hand bags and feel like she is talking to them. For those who dare doubt the power of vintage Chanel need to read this book.

I had so much fun reading this book!  I could picture myself in the closet looking through the purse to see what peral's of wisdom will come my way. The information on the different pieces in the collection was so interesting.  I highly recommend you pick up this book.
This book was a light read but that did not take away from my enjoyment. If you are a huge fan of fashion, this will appeal to you. The relationship between half sisters, Gabrielle and Lulu, was engaging. And as they had to work together to go through their mother’s clothing, they have the opportunity to meet their mother’s friends and discover messages hidden in the clothes. Through all of that, this book brings out a variety of issues … forgiveness, friendship, and an opportunity for second chances.

Thank you to NetGalley and Blue Box Press for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Sisters who used to be close are brought together when their mother passes away.  Promises she made were not what they expected in any way.  She was a terrible mother while alive (and part of why the sisters are estranged).  Both are in bad places in the lives and expected that for once in her life their mother would live up to a promise she made by leaving them her estate so they could move forward and start anew.  What they got was so not as anticipated.  And on top of the huge disappointment she put some restrictions on what she left them.  In her mind for once she was attempting to be a decent mother.  I found her to be manipulative even in death.  The sisters were forced together to try to distribute their inheritance and re-establish
their relationship with lots of little notes they found.  I didn’t like any of the main characters so it took me more time than normal to finish, but it does wrap up nicely.