Cover Image: Wingbearer

Wingbearer

The art in this is gorgeous. It's colorful and soft. The characters are drawn in such an emotive way, that I really loved zooming in on the faces of every panel. The story is fun and adventurous with a major plot twist at the end that really sets it up to be a fun series.
1) Art = ADORABLE. 2) I want wings. 3) What a fun, adventurous story. All readers will love Liu's story about a "chosen" one, Zuli, who was raised outside of the world on the tree bird souls go to when they die. Zuli really loves birds, y'all - it is precious. When souls stop being reborn, Zuli leaves the tree and navigates into the unknown. She must make new friends, rely on her instincts, and never lose her unwavering optimism to stand a chance. A must for all libraries!
This was an excellent first installment of the “Wingbearer” series. Teny Issakhanian's artwork is incredible. The color pallet is so rich and vibrant which pulls and immerses the reader into the fantasy world. The characters’ expressions add such emotion and depth to the story. The story itself was a bit confusing, wordy, and laggy at times. I’m hoping this weight is due to the “book one syndrome” where everything has to be explained and back-storied.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the main character's combined innocence and bravery quite charming. I loved the worldbuilding. The art is quite lovely! The character and creature designs were both familiar and very unique. I was disappointed when I got to the end as I didn't realize this was a series and was very interested in what would happen next I am definitely looking forward to the next volume.
Marjorie Liu continues to write the best stories with Wingbearer, a heartwarming adventurous tale full of love.  Every page brings a new and wonderful delight thanks to a sweet story and beautiful art.
You know when you are reading a story that is so incredible and you NEVER want it to end? THAT is Wingbearer!!

Evoking the emotions of Fern Gully with the magic of Dungeons & Dragons, this story is so incredible and I could literally read 1000 more pages. This is so obviously a Volume 1, so maybe my wish will be granted. I truly hope so!

Zuli is an INCREDIBLE MC! She is someone to look up to for POC Kids everywhere. Her kindness is only outmatched by her determination to see all the lost bird souls returned to the Tree of Life.

I loved the amazing cast of supporting characters, so I’ll be excited to see how they grow and adapt with the next book.

Thank You to Net Galley for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Wingbearer was a cohesive graphic novel. Teny Issakhanian's art was vibrant and truly a standout while the writing felt a little flat in comparison. There were several text heavy pages that slowed the story's momentum.

Zuli, the main character, is a young Black girl, but neither of the creators are Black. Although Zuli does gain more agency as the story progresses, there are long stretches where she is portrayed as a naive girl who must be taught the ways of the world, and although it made sense in the story, it felt especially strange to read since non-Black creators were telling this story.

Wingbearer reminded me of Fantastic Tales of Nothing, another HarperCollins graphic novel, in that both presented fantastic worlds but did not necessarily see them through.
Gorgeously illustrated (like, seriously, its almost like stills from an animated film), Wingbearer is the first part in what is obviously going to be a cracker-jack fantasy series. Zuli is raised from infancy in the branches of a mystical tree that serves as afterlife for bird souls before they are ready to be reincarnated. When bird souls stop appearing, Zuli leaves the afterlife in search of what is causing the intended cycle of souls to fail. Along the way she discovers the 1,000 year old ruins of her people and a land of various magical sentient winged creatures (goblins, wyverns, griffons, dragons, etc) that is both torn apart by past wars and the rising threat of the mysterious Witch-Queen.
This was an exciting start to a fantastical middle grade fantasy series. The colorful, kinetic art will be really appealing for the intended age group, and I kept thinking it wasn't at all surprising that just about everyone she met was pretty easily won over by Zuli's charm—she is ADORABLE.
This book was so magical and amazing, I loved every step of the way and I can't wait to read more!! The main character is so wholesome and kind, and the secret lore behind the world is very intriguing. Definitely one of the best fantasy adventure graphic novels I've read in a while.
I absolutely loved this book, but I have one major issue with one of the characters. The green guy on the cover (Orien) looks exactly like a gargoyle, but in this book he is a goblin. So, I am a little bit upset about that (maybe a little more than a little bit), but otherwise I loved this book!

What begins into a mission to save reincarnating bird spirits turns into something a lot more dangerous and complicated. Zuli was raised by bird spirits in a place where time is different than the regular world. She has never experienced anything outside of this place including others like her, water, or a ruined city. All Zuli wants is to find out what is happening to the spirits, but the Witch-Queen has other ideas. As soon as she steps into the real world, the Witch-Queen is alerted to her presence. Zuli has to fight off her minions and head north with her guardian owl Frowly and her new friend the outcast goblin Orien. Along the way, she might finally find out who she is.