Cover Image: Stranger Words

Stranger Words

When I first began Stranger Words my expectations were weren't too high because I wasn't really in the mood for short stories, but I try to make my netgalley books a priority so off I went.  I immediately knew that my expectations were off base and that this was going to be fun.   The title "Stranger Words" is very apropos.  The stories are all strange and weird, some are creepy and some are rather sweet or bittersweet.  They aren't exactly terrifying, but that's okay.  I like them the way they are. A couple of my favorites are Sleep Deprivation (I have my own bouts of Sleep Paralysis, yikes!)  and How To Sell A Holiday.    When you've read the story be sure to read the author's Liner Notes at the end.  I found those very interesting and telling and they give the stories a very personal and meaningful slant.  Thank you #netgalley for allowing me to read and review #StrangerWords.  I enjoyed this one.
The first few stories in the collection seemed promising and then they fell flat. I was disappointed. Lots of very obvious editing mistakes as well
Amazing set of stories. I was able to gain a digital copy of this book from Netgalley for my honest review. My honest review is that there was only one story that I thought was just okay. The rest were absolutely great. It starts off with a unpredictable story, and then just keeps going. While most of it is horror, not all of it is. I will definitely read more from this writer
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC of this book. I had never read this author before and was really shocked at how good it was. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every story.  Weird, strange,creepy, and scary. There's something for everyone.
I don't think I've read any horror since reading a lot of Stephen King in the 80s and 90s, so this was a very different book for me. I find nearly all short-story collections are hit and miss, but this one was at times too much for my tastes.

Some highlights:

The first story, Earworm, was suitably creepy and intriguing. It strongly captured my attention, but ended with an anti climactic finish.

How to Sell a Holiday was amusing and very clever.

Slim and Almost-Queen was probably my favourite story, although the twist was predictable. I was surprised to read in the notes at the end it is generally not as well received.

Tannenbaum was sweet and, while unusual, didn't seem to fit the horror theme. I liked the author's note about it at the end.

However, there were a couple of very big misses. New Game and Just a Kiss Away were back to back and both really didn't work for me. They were both OTT and gratuitous with violence. While in New Game that unfortunately reflects a reality that exists in our society - I don't want to read about it or dwell on it.  When I reached Click Bait, which was also offensive (but clearly done as a comment about males who are offensive in our society), I wondered if I would finish the book, but the good stories kept me going..

I enjoyed the horror, not so much the violence and misogynistic sex.
Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. It isn't what I expected but I really liked it. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
This collection of stories held some unique gems, a couple chilling tales, but mostly, for me anyway, it had stories I couldn't get into. The writing style rubs me the wrong way; I either find passages confusing or out of place so much so that I can't get back into my it.