Cover Image: The Valkyrie's Daughter

The Valkyrie's Daughter

Thank you Entangled teen for providing me with an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. Please be warned this review contains spoilers.

This book started so promising. I was captivated by Sigrid and Hesteur and Sigrid's longing to be a Valkyrie. I loved how determined Sigrid was, doing everything in her power to train and fight like a Valkyrie even on the ground.
About half way through, when Sigrid goes to Helheim, is where my interest fell flat. So far the plot had been decent, there were cute moments between Sigrid and Mariam and even a couple scenes that made me laugh. The dialogue became quite confusing when they group reached Helheim, especially between Mariam and Sigrid when they were arguing outside the gates. It felt like things not even related to the conversation were being brought up and it went in very lopsided circles.

When we find out Sigrid is Elina's daughter, that did surprise me. I was disappointed in how fast their relationship went forward and it just felt extremely unrealistic even in a fantasy book. Elina's "betrayal" ( if you can even call it that, Elina literally said what she wanted to do from the beginning ) bored me. After that point in the book is where I got very close to DNFing. Some of the action sequences were decent, but the plot quickly deescalated.
One of the only aspect's I enjoyed at the end of the book was that Sigrid didn't become a full Valkyrie, staying with Hesteur and doing Valkyrie work on the ground.

Overrall it wasn't the worst book I've read but certainly not the best. If the plot was paced better and the dialogue made more sense near the end, I would've bumped this to a 4, perhaps even a 5 star read.
This book is a beautiful, easy flowing story about an underdog and a sapphic enemies to lovers.

It follows Sigrid as she attempts to discover more about herself, her past and her future. Using Norse mythology as inspiration, a beautiful world is developed and the interactions between our main characters and the worlds around them is easily discovered and understood.

This story is about Sigrid discovering her place in the world, coming to love and cherish what she already has while embracing something a little new for her. The chapters flow easily and the entire story makes you want to continue reading.

I cannot wait for more of Sigrid's stories.

The Helheim Princess by Tiana Warner tells the story of Sigrid, a young stablehand in Vanaheim who dreams of joining the Valkyries, female warriors from Norse mythology who rode winged horses into battle. Sigrid is bonded to a non-winged horse and is therefore relegated to watching the Valkyries in training from the sidelines. When Sigrid is shown a vision in which she achieves her destiny as a Valkyrie, she leaves the safety of Vanaheim in search of that brighter future.

I was interested in reading this book because I am a huge fan of mythology. I grew up reading the Percy Jackson books and read the more recent Magnus Chase series, which is also based on Norse mythology. I liked how well the book explains Norse elements to readers who might be unfamiliar without taking time away from the plot.

My main critique of this book is that the beginning of the novel is quite slow. I normally don’t mind it when novels start slower, since it is often the result of worldbuilding which is generally vital to my enjoyment of a novel. However, the beginning of this novel is somewhat repetitive and I thought it could have been condensed. I enjoyed the novel much more once the plot picked up a third of the way through.

The novel also had an interesting enemies-to-lovers sapphic romance. Initially, I found the romance to be a bit forced. Yet, as the novel continued I appreciated its progression.

Overall, I thought this novel improved as it went along. Although it was definitely hard to get into, I found the later plot entertaining and the ending satisfying.
I really enjoyed this book. The pacing was spot on, and I loved the character's depths and how they interacted with everyone. It was such a fast, fun read, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get lost in a great story for a while! I love Norse mythology, and this definitely scratched my itch for a good book that included it.
“You’re the most talented rider I’ve ever seen, stable girl.” Mariam nudged her and smiled. “Yggdrasil threw you the most powerful horse to ever exist. Now what are you going to do with him?”

Sigrid had dreamed of being a Valkyrie since she was a little girl, but that dream would always be just out of reach since her bonded horse Hestur has no wings. After seeing a prophecy where she is riding one of the most legendary horses of all time, Sleipnir, Sigrid resolves to take fate into her own hands. Readers who pick up Tiana Warner’s The Helheim Princess can expect great characters, lots of action, and an exciting story inspired by norse myth.

As a fan of Norse mythology, I absolutely had to read this book after seeing the blurb. I appreciated how the author brought in some more obscure figures from the myths (like Ratatosk) instead of just focusing on the most popular ones like Loki or Odin or Thor. It’s always a lot of fun to be surprised by a story, and Ms. Warner did exactly that. Her slight changes to the versions of the myths that I’m familiar with served the story well, and it still honored the heart of the tales.

I’m a sucker for an underdog story, and Tiana is the type of character who just makes you want to root for her. I wanted her to prove all the stuck up Valkyries wrong from the very first page. You don’t need a flying horse to be a badass female warrior. Hestur is awesome and he’s the fastest horse on land (outside of Sleipnir) even without wings. I really enjoyed her journey and the character development over the course of the story.

For those in search of books with more diverse characters, the culture of The Helheim Princess is very LGBTQ friendly (the author is part of the community too). Sigrid is queer/lesbian (her love interest is a girl) and its quite common for Valkyries to have wives. The relationship between Sigrid and Mariam is a very sweet sapphic romance suitable for young adult readers.

Altogether, The Helheim Princess by Tiana Warner is an exciting, action packed, sapphic young adult fantasy romance. I would happily recommend it to fans of mythology or those who love reading stories with strong female lead characters. Can’t wait to read the next book in The Helheim Prophecy series, and find out what’s next for Sigrid.

Thank you to the author, Entangled Teen and NetGalley for allowing me to read an early copy of the book at no cost to myself. I appreciate the opportunity immensely! Please note - I voluntarily read and reviewed The Helheim Princess. All opinions expressed in the review are my own and not influenced in any way.
I have major mixed feelings about this book. ‘The Helheim Princess’ at first glance looks to be a YA fantasy based on Norse Mythology, specifically Valkyries. I was very disappointed in the lack of actual Norse Mythology in the book, we see not a single Norse God and they are barley even mentioned. Now it’s always a challenge to take something such as Norse Mythology and turn it into its own unique world but this just didn’t hit the spot of a Norse Mythology based story. The lack of Viking influence is also noticeable, mentioned a few times, but still very lacking.

While the plot, world and story themselves are nice, I could not connect with a single character. The pace of the book itself was annoying, sometimes too slow and stayed on one single topic for chapters and then other times it seemed too fast and had full battles within a few short chapters. All in all it left me without much motivation to finish, I only did finish for the plot. The plottwists were unexpected yet in a way that after you reach them you realize you should’ve expected it. The romance felt a little forced in the beginning but by the end seemed to be a viable point of the plot- when the main character is forced to choose between the love interests and taking down the villain.

One of the things I absolutely adored about this book is the amount of details when it came to the horses (and Pegasi.) I didn’t found out until after finishing the book that the author is in fact an equestrian, much like myself. I’ve never once read a book with this intense amount of details- from in the saddle training to simple things like cleaning hooves. The author did a great job of incorporating every little horse based detail but in a way that it’s easy to understand to a non-horse person. All in all, really enjoyable.

I do want to note that I did enjoy this book, while it was difficult to continue in some parts it is an enjoyable novel if you enjoy Norse Mythology inspired novels.
First off, the idea of Valkyrie is what brought me in but this love story is the best thing to come out of this story. The instant chemistry between the characters and their journey with finding themselves is incredible. It feels like we are just touching the surface of this world and there is so much more to explore so I am hoping this book will continue into a series! 5⭐️
This book was a wonderful surprise!  I loved the main character, Sigrid.  She was so relatable throughout the entire story.  She was thoughtful, had complex feelings and relationships, and learned from her mistakes.  The supporting characters were also well-drawn and gave the story depth and humor.  I would definitely read more books by this author and I will be recommending this book to students who enjoy adventure and fantasy books.
It was okay. I love Norse Mythology and I like what the author did with it in particular the setting and the characters. But everything else just fell a little flat for me; the plot and the dialog especially. I almost DNFed it but powered on because I hoped the ending was going to be worth it and not quite. I don't think I'll be reading the next book in the series.
Sigrid, whose origin is a mystery, wished to be a Valkyrie instead of a stable hand. A vision of her riding legendary eight legged horse Sleipner has her joining forces with an enemy valkyrie, Mariam, to fulfill her destiny.

The protagonist with her gung ho attitude is instantly likeable. Stories of an underdog triumphing are some of my favorites. I love to root for the underdog. Norse mythology is also a favorite especially if it's not 'heavily' written. This has a so readable you gobble it up temperament. Characters that were unexpectedly amusing brought it closer to my booklover heart.

The attention-stealing narrative comes alive with vivid descriptions along with heart-pounding action, and is peppered with smirk-worthy humor. The imagery is so clear with the wonderful way the author describes everything. We have a great aspect of what is going on even though the story is told only from Sigrid's POV. Enemies working together is always fun, even more when they start having feelings for each other. Their encounters are humorous and full of snark. The emotions are well presented.

When the vision doesn't lead us where you think it will the metaphorical ground shifts and the route of the story changes. Truth is the reasoning given at the reveal was a little underwhelming, as was the way it was conveyed, plus unexplained things put flaws in the integrity of the story. It sort of drags there. Also, there is a bit of repetitiveness in some of the dialogue and thoughts. I was not feeling the new character. Then the story gets back on track, back to things that got you enamored with it in the first place.

Makes you think on how much you believe in destiny and the whatnot. Also that anyone can do great things. You can feel your worth no matter what others do or say.

There is influence from Norse mythology but the author is gifting us with her own story and the creativity is abundant. An entertaining and exciting beginning to a new series.
I liked it. I'll read the second book if it gets made.
Sigrid sees a vision of herself leading the Valkyrie and she must travel to Hel to fulfill her destiny.
If you like borse mythology even a little you should enjoy this.
The Princess of Velheim by Tiana Warner

This YA fantasy is a tale that is highly inspired by Norse Mythology but not an exact retelling. Our story follows Sigrid who has big dreams of being a Valkyrie but was more with a regular horse instead of one with wings. As such she is just a lonely stable hand. But she accidently see’s a prophecy showing her that she could be so much more.

I both loved and really struggled with this book. There were parts that were so fun and parts that literally drove my crazy. I’ll tackle both sides below.

I wanted to smother Sigrid pretty early on in the book. She was trying wayyy too hard. I understand she had dreams. And “wanted more.” Look, I also loved the little mermaid and beauty and the beast as a kid. I get it. You have dreams beyond your station. But when you start straight up breaking rules based on “your gut” and making a general nuisance of yourself maybe it’s time to rethink your plan. She also was borderline whiney about the whole “being just a stable hand” thing. I really wanted her to just shut up and deal with it.

I also feel like the title is a major spoiler. One of the major questions that was actually interesting was Sigrid’s parentage. But the title tells you she’s a princess of the “hell realm.”

I did love the side character sand the exploration of their friendship.  I loved that Mariam wasn’t afraid to tell Sigrid the truth even when it hurt as well as apologize sincerely when she did mess up.

There was this part of the ending that I thought was kinda moronic. Like I get that the author wanted to show that Sigrid would give up everything to save her friends now that she’s realized she was being a twat earlier but it felt unnecessary for her to give up her 8 legged horse and the eye to save Mariam only to chase and run down Elena AGAIN and this time be like “WE WON!!”

I’m glad that the book is left open for further novels in this series. I’d still be interested in seeing where this series goes in the future. Overall I gave it 3 stars.

I received an eARC of this novel for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you netgalley and entangled publishing. That being said, all opinions are my own.
I love Norse Mythology especially the valkyrie.  And the fact that the Norse and vikings treated women as equals and allowed them to fight in battle. So it's nice to see more  books like this in YA. Teen girls need more books with kick butt heroines.
This is that particular brand of ya book that gives us the MOST misunderstood teenager with the MOST fabulous chosen one destiny and the MOST secret, sparkly identity that even she doesn't yet know. I was looking forward to the Norse mythology aspects, but the plot fell into generic rhythms of storytelling that failed to capture my attention. The writing was a big issue for me. There wasn't anything spectacular in the way settings, feelings, or actions were described to ground me in what was happening. As my attention drifted, I failed to form a bond with characters or take much interest in what they got up to.

A band of misfits should have captured my undying devotion, but flat personalities and basic, surface-level banter prevented me. Even a sapphic romance could not save this story for me because it was so bland; it largely features Sigrid's circular inner dialogue trying to figure out if she's experiencing a crush and isn't Mariam so pretty, etc. There isn't much excitement or joy or humor or really any emotion to flavor the experience and make it tangible.

At 50%, I was ready to quit and futilely shake my fist at the continuation of my reading slump. At 58%, our main character had a meltdown about A) not being trusted by her friends whom she does not trust, either, and B) not being the only one entrusted with her crush's most traumatic memory because it implies Sigrid's not special. And that's when I caved and called it a day. It's a rare DNF for me, folks. I sincerely hope Sigrid does some soul-searching and experiences vast character growth in the latter half of the book, but I was tired of plodding along, waiting for it to happen.
This was a DNF for me about 10% through.  I just couldn’t get interested or follow the plot.  I’m not a fan of sapphic romance either.  I like to read things that relate to me and this just wasn’t it.  Others may really enjoy!
Read this if you like:

-cute lgbtq enemies to lovers
-Norse mythology
-fast paced action and adventure
The Helheim Princess is a fun, adventurous story based loosely in Norse mythology. The main character, Sigrid, desperately wants to be a Junior Valkyrie. After a series of events, Sigrid finds herself on a journey  to meet her destiny with a little help from a Night Elf and a girl who makes her heart race a little too fast.

I enjoyed the fast pace of this story and the world that was built. I think this book would be a good fit for the younger side of the age range for YA as the writing is very approachable and the plot is full of fun twists. There is also a sweet, sapphic romance that unfolds as the story progresses.

This book is a solid 3.5 for me, but I am rounding up to 4 as I feel it’s really solid for the audience it is targeting.
Quick Stats
Age Rating: 13+
Over All: 3.5 stars
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 3/5

This book. ugh. I honestly don’t know what to say. I don’t know how I feel. I wanted to like it. And I did. I did like it. But it was really just a little better than “okay.” In theory, the characters were fun, the world was great, and the plot was super interesting, but the writing was just not up to par, and that made it really hard for me to get invested in. The pacing was often dragging and yet too rushed at points, the ‘plot twists’ were extremely predictable in a way that I found frustrating, and the characters, though I liked them, didn’t feel fleshed out enough for me to truly feel invested in them.
I really enjoyed the Norse myths aspect. I don’t know how accurate it was, but it was fun and interesting and felt well-researched to me, but since I know next to nothing about the myths, I can’t truly say.
It was fine. More enjoyable than not. I just couldn’t get into it, and I didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.
The Helheim Princess is a sapphic enemies-to-lovers novel about Valkyries and filled with Norse Mythology, I was absolutely dying to get my hands on it.

The level of research that has gone into this book is evident and it means that the world-building is incredible and immersive and this was one of the strongest aspects of this story. However, as strong as I found the mythology and world-building, I felt this made the lack of character development feel even more jarring. I found all of the main characters to be a little bit one-dimensional and couldn't properly connect to them. I also found most of the motives lackluster at best.

Sigrid grated on me the whole way through and whilst there were moments where I loved her, it never lasted. I also didn't buy the romance for a second. I thought it was one of the novel's weakest aspects and couldn't see any amount of chemistry between them at all, which is devastating because honestly, it was what I was here for.

The cover art is amazing on this, it's absolutely gorgeous and deserves a mention. It's also a beautifully written book and fairly well-paced.

Overall I would say this is about 3.5 stars for me. It had a lot of promise and some really cool aspects just overall it didn't wow me.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an e-arc of this in exchange for an honest review.
I was so excited about this book when I found out about it, and even more excited to be approved for an ARC. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped it would be. While the characters and relationships—both platonic and romantic—were well-written and developed, I was able to predict many of the plot twists. That predictability took away the element of surprise in most situations, and in a fantasy story like this one, that was detrimental to my reading experience.

Despite that, I wouldn’t call The Helheim Princess bad or say I didn’t enjoy it. I did like the use of Norse mythology in the story and world-building, as it’s more common to see stories using Greek myths and this was a nice change of pace. It was fun to see the characters’ adventuring across multiple worlds and the different ways they were challenged on their journey.

I would still recommend this book; I think the reason I found it predictable was due more to the number of fantasies I’ve read than any real problem with the book itself. I also think that plenty of teen readers will enjoy it, as it has a good amount of action while still being fairly lighthearted and easy to understand.

[Rating: 3.5 stars]