Cover Image: Aunt Dimity and the Enchanted Cottage

Aunt Dimity and the Enchanted Cottage

I love this series. It’s a consistently delightful read and this new book in the series is no exception. It’s a great cozy, very light, no violence or death so it’s perfect if you need a break from grim reality.
The only mystery series I read where there is never a murder! Once again Lori and her friends are confronted with a mystery. In this case, who is their new neighbor. Always charming, this series is perfect for anyone who enjoys a cozy mystery full of characters to love
Aunt Dimity and the Enchanted Cottage takes place in a charming little village full of nosy, but good-intentioned, characters. A new neighbor moves into town and he is all anyone can talk about. When he proves to be more mysterious than originally assumed, the community bands together to keep an eye out for him. I found the characters and setting very charming, and the story was just mysterious enough to keep my attention. Because this was the first book I read in the series, I suspect there were some things I missed but found the book to be enjoyable overall despite this.
Okay, the book did get better but the first few chapters were incredibly annoying -- imagine a dozen busybodies all gossiping at once, out loud, about complicated interpersonal relationships. Yeah, very unpleasant and not a good way to draw in readers. Because I'd read other books by this author I preserved and it eventually got better. Not a mystery like her other books but more tied to tiny village gossip and poking noses into other's relationships. It did eventually end happy. As written, I wouldn't recommend it but perhaps certain types of fans will be happy to see a new book in this series.

Original review
OMGosh, is this book going to be full of boring gossip about dozens of people all the way through? I requested this book especially because I'd read a few Aunt Dimity books in the past when I needed some lighthearted reading but this one is driving me batty and I'm only at 14%! I'll just come back and update the review if I can get to 50% without screaming.
I am sure readers of cozy mysteries will be glad to see this book in our collection. I have enjoyed this series since the first book and admire the author's ability to let her characters grow. This is a must-read addition to a beloved series.
This was a lovely book. It was nice to read a mystery without bloodshed. The characters are very real, and you feel like you would know them if you met them on the street. And Finch is the sort of little town you wish were real.
The charming and delightful Aunt Dimity series gives us a glimpse into a gentler, more caring way of life that is so often missing these days. Mostly character driven, with the village a main character as well, we learn more about its inhabitants with each book. With new characters constantly being introduced the series is never boring, nor is there a lack of plots. Throughly enjoyable and low key. it’s a wonderful respite from the world.
In this book, a new neighbor moves to the enchanted cottage, looking so sad and forlorn the villagers decide to keep an eye on him at all times. As they try to crack his armor, because he’s keeping them at arms length, the gossip train is full steam ahead.