Cover Image: Much Ado About a Latte

Much Ado About a Latte

Much Ado was a miss for me. I didn’t engage with the characters and the story didn’t move me like I hoped it would.
A waitress and a high school crush - delicious! This is my first time reading a novel by Kathleen Fuller and I will keep her on my radar to read more of her great work!

This novel is a sweet romance about a young couple who fell in love in high school and nothing more came of it. Now working in the same cafe. A sweet, funny light hearted story!
Anita Bedford has hoped for so long that Tanner would see her as more than a friend.
Anita has a dream to open her own cafe, and it seems that dream is about to come true when a spot opens up. The only thing is that it is located next door to the Sunshine Diner which just happens to be owned by Tanner. Competition is a good thing, right? Or, not?
Loved the town of Maple Falls and the characters that returned from previous books in this series. Likeable characters.
Now, for the cons of this story...I didn't enjoy reading about Anita getting drunk, or the things that were implied. Not really a Christian story in my opinion. Going to church doesn't make one a Christian, just as going in a barn doesn't make you a cow.
I was given a complimentary copy by the publisher, Thomas Nelson through Netgalley. I was under no obligation to write a positive review.
This was a slog to get through - I don't remember finishing it, I remember nothing about it other than it being a sappy, preachy Lifetime romance. Nothing about these characters or story stood out.
Anita and Tanner both have dreams of owning and operating their own businesses after working together for years at the Sunshine Diner. Anita has loved Tanner since Middle School, she has always felt pressure from her family to do more with her life than be a waitress. While Tanner grew up poor and has always worked hard to help his family. Will their plans bring them together or pull them further apart?

A enjoyable return to Maple Falls, I loved seeing familiar faces like Irma, Hayden, Riley, and Harper. I liked Anita and Tanner from the start, and finding them both to be very relatable from the start. I loved Tanner's love for his family, and how he wants to help ease his hardworking mom's burdens. Anita is passionate about what she does, but struggles with feeling like she doesn't measure up to her high achieving family she feels like she is constantly trying to prove that she can do things on her own. I liked the relationship between Anita and Tanner, and how it tied back to when they were younger, as well as how they had grown in the present day.

Overall, this was a fun quick read with a lovely setting and enjoyable characters. I loved getting to know more of the townspeople. There is some drinking to excess, but I think that it was handled well and not shown in a positive way. I'll definitely be reading the next book when it comes out!

Unrequited love can be brutal! Anita has it bad for Tanner, and has for a long time, but never pursued a relationship with him. It was awesome to see both Anita and Tanner following their dreams and putting in the hard work to make them happen. Unfortunately, while they are friendly coworkers at the diner, they are not close enough to confide their palms with each other, which creates the conflict when they become unexpected competitors. It was a fun dynamic as Anita fights her attraction to Tanner while Tanner wakes up to the chemistry he finds with her. He can be a bit of an idiot, so he’s lucky that Anita is forgiving ;) A subplot with Tanner’s mother experiencing health problems broke up the momentum when it turned to her point of view. I appreciated that the story was more well rounded with multi-generational perspectives in their cozy community, but I found myself skimming her chapters to get back to Tanner and Anita. The theme of accepting the help of her support group when Anita found herself in over her head was especially touching. I loved the ending and the solution they found for their future together in Maple Falls.

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.
Small town romance that must overcome some obstacles.  Very charming!
Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Fiction and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Much Ado About A Latte by Kathleen Fuller

A coffee war is brewing in Maple Falls, where Anita and Tanner are serving up plenty of sparks to keep the town buzzing.

This was a light and lovely romance.  An enjoyable read.  I recommend this book.

Thanks to Net Galley for sending me an advanced reader’s copy for my review.
Much Ado About a Latte is the second book in Kathleen Fuller’s contemporary romance series, Maple Falls.

This story took me by surprise. I was both excited and hesitant to read it at first. I enjoyed the first book and wanted to see what happened next, but the trope isn’t one that drew me. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about! I was 75% of the way through before I realized where I was in the story, it had me so engaged. Then I had to finish, of course, even if it meant getting an hour less sleep.

I loved everything about this story. The characters and their depth, the struggles, the trials, the ending. The romance was so sweet, too. I highly recommend it!

—
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC guidelines.
I loved the vibes of this book. After a kiss in a wardrobe everything change. But they keep that for them selfes. They are living their life but they croos the paths againand they are so cute in not admiting the attraction. I so miss beeing 25 again.  They are fun together and it is clear they are made for eachother. They also pretend to be more than friends and make  the story tender too. An easy and funny read
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. My library did purchase this title, and I do have readers who enjoy it, but I did not want the writing in this book.
A Fun Romance

Anita Bedford has had some challenges in life.  One of her challenges was that she experienced difficulties during her school days.  Another challenge is that she never quite feels like she measures up to her family's expectations which make her feel like she doesn't quite measure up to what they think she should be.  And yet another challenge is her "unrequited" love that she has harbored toward Tanner Castillo, her long time friend.

Tanner has his own set of challenges one of which is his concern for his mother.  He worries about her and how hard she works.  He also has the challenge of dealing with a former love interest.  And, he has the challenge of trying to figure out his friend, Anita.

Through it all, these two forge ahead on their friendship that has its ups and downs, but eventually begins to evolve into something more. As this happens, they each take on a new venture that makes for some interesting situations which ultimately impact their relationship.

Much Ado About a Latte is a fun contemporary Christian romance that is sure to be enjoyed by all.  While the book is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone.

***"I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."**
Overall I'd say this is a super cute and sweet, closed door romance series.  But I did have a couple issues with this particular story ...

1. I needed more from Anita and Tanner.  All we get is their angst and frustration.  I wanted to see more of them falling in love and showing their love for each other.  I wasn't seeing the chemistry between them.
2. I had issues with Anita's scene where she eats TWO little debbie brownies and then feels so much regret.  Even into the next day saying how stuffed she is and how that was such a gorge fest.  This is major eating disorder triggering.  It was two brownies - not two boxes.
3. We hear a lot how Anita has a learning disorder, and it's a big part of her.  I would have loved to dive into that more.  Show readers that you can accomplish your goals no matter what!
4. There's some really awesome female relationships in this series.  I'd love to see more interactions with the friends encouraging one another and supporting one another.
Another wonderful fun filled read with returning characters along with some new ones.
I was delighted to see that Fuller had written a 2nd book. I always felt there was more to tell in Maple Falls. I just loved the small town feel because I grew up in one. I sort of miss it.
Fuller is such a talented writer and I absolutely love this new series.  It really doesn't matter what genre she writes she always manages to draw her readers in and that's my favorite thing about her.
The humor in this story made my heart full and satisfied. I want more please!
I was sad to see the end but oh my I really loved Tanner and Anita.  They were so cool!
I could actually "smell" the coffee even though I don't drink it. It smelled great!
5 stars for a beautifully told story and unforgettable characters along with a powerful message.
I look forward to more!
Anita Bedford is happy in her job as a waitress at the Sunshine Diner in the small town of Maple Falls, even if it means working with Tanner Castillo, her high school crush and first kiss. But she wants to prove to her family and herself that she can do more, by buying the abandoned building next door to the diner and opening a cafe that sells proper barista coffee.

(I can only assume both rent and property are extremely cheap in Maple Falls, because every other novel I’ve read with a waitress as the heroine has shown her living paycheck to paycheck and barely able to afford rent, let alone buy a building. Or perhaps she’s got the only waitressing job in North America that pays a living wage).

Tanner Castillo’s father died when he was a child, so he and his mother have been working two jobs since forever to make ends meet and to give Tanner’s younger brother the opportunity to go to college. But he’s managed to save some money as well, because he wants to buy the Sunshine Diner and drag it into the twenty-first century with new decor and proper coffee.

Well, it’s not hard to see where the story is going and that there are problems ahead. There’s plenty of room for tension—romantic and otherwise. The story delivers that in spades, helped by two compelling main characters who can’t both succeed …

I had a couple of reservations about the novel. First, there is a scene where a character drinks three cocktails in a very short space of time, and there are the obvious consequences. I know many Christians drink and I’m sure some drink too much, but this scene felt out of place in what I thought was a Christian rom-com. Such a scene might have fit in a novel with a theme around the dangers of excess alcohol, but I didn’t think it fit here. Of course, that statement assumes the novel is Christian fiction. While it’s categorised as Christian romance, there was nothing especially Christian about it except one character who teaches Sunday School.

The other thing I didn’t like was the ending. It felt rushed, and I thought the epilogue felt forced.

But the other 90% of the novel was great fun, with plenty of humour and several excellent side characters. The romance builds well, and all the tension only makes the eventual payoff sweeter.

This is the second book in the Maple Falls series. I haven’t read the first, but this was a standalone novel and I didn’t feel like I’d missed anything.

Thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.
Sometimes when you read a book, it is important to remember for whom the book is written. Much Ado About a Latte is directed towards younger women, probably late teens through thirty. When I completed the book, I realized it worked well for someone young, but for me, someone who has grown as a reader, the book was immature. Don't get me wrong, I love a good love story, love seeing a woman strike out on her own against all odds. This little book hits those marks but for a younger reader.

Our main character, Anita, feels like a loser in life as the only one in her family who does not seem successful. Instead of being seen as a free spirit, her family has made her feel like she will never be successful. Comments made by family members implying someone's lack of ability can haunt them forever. So, after years of waitressing, Anita wants to start her own business and in order to do so, has saved a considerable amount of money and has gotten business books to study on what to do. (Having a highly successful and well-known family was helpful in her business endeavor.)

We also have Anita's love interest, the boy/young man from high school on whom she has been crushing for ten years. He has proven himself successful as a cook and young businessman. Anita does all she can to deny the attraction yet the two of them keep getting thrown together.

Without giving too much away, the story moved along nicely until it neared the end then it seemed to suddenly end. I wanted a bit more description of the events happening. I felt the ending of the story was within sight and the author wrapped things up too quickly.

I was given this book by #NetGalley and #ThomasCollins (Harper Collins) #KathleenFuller
We return to Maple Falls where we reconnect and catch up with characters from the previous book. This book focuses on Anita and Tanner. Tanner is Hayden's best friend. Anita has had a crush on Tanner for about 10 years. She tells herself she is over it but not really. They work together and Tanner is starting to view her as much than a sister type  They are both crazy about each other and everybody in their small town notices that there is chemistry between the two but they won't admit it to each other. What I liked about this book and series is the small town atmosphere and  the lasting friendships that happen. Loved the humor in the book.  I like it that both Tanner and Anita were hard working people with goals in mind. I loved it that Tanner felt a responsibility too look after his mother and younger brother after his farther had died many years ago. Tanner was just a stand up guy.  What I didn't like it was Anita getting drunk at her friend's party after drinking three too many Cosmos. Overall this was a good romantic story and I look forward to reading Harper and Rusty's story will will be out this summer.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All reviews are my own.
This is the second in a series but it can be read without having read the first book and you won't be lost. It was a very sweet romance with some great messages spread throughout.
This story is the second book in the Maple Fall series by Kathleen Fuller but can also be read as a standalone. I loved the friends to lovers premise of this story, although this story also deals with themes like overcoming self doubt and following your dreams. Anita struggles with her learning disability and the way that impacted her during high school. Tanner has known Anita for years but is unaware of her romantic feelings for him at first. While the pacing started off slowly, I appreciated the way that the story enabled the two characters to become more open and vulnerable with one another. I enjoyed the small town and diner vibes in this story, and the way it reminded me of an entertaining, light and sweet Hallmark romance. While the characters in this story struggled at times with communication skills, they ultimately found their way to their own unique happily ever after. Many thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this story, all opinions are my own.

Content: clean/wholesome romance
I have a few authors that I read whatever they write and Kathleen Fuller is one of them. Much Ado About a Latte takes readers back to Maple Falls where waitress Anita Bedford has been pining for Tanner Castillo since he tutored her in math in high school. Afraid of losing his friendship, she's kept her feelings under wraps. Working side-by-side with him at the diner these last three years has only made her heart hurt more. While she sees, and loves, everything about him, Tanner only sees a good buddy when he looks at her. Deciding she needs to move forward with her life and her dream of owning a coffee shop, she buys the building next door to the diner. Then, her mother gets involved, contacting the mayor about her "new business" and things spiral out of control.

Tanner Castillo has been taking care of his mother and younger brother ever since his dad died when he was 8. He knows he has no life outside of the diner and the new catering business he recently started through the diner, but he has good friends in Anita and Hayden. Buying the diner and transforming it into a nice restaurant is his dream, and when the owner decides to sell to someone else, he frantically offers more than he can afford to get it for himself. The more he's worked with Anita these past three years, the more his feelings for her have changed, deepened. Unfortunately for him, he has a hard and fast rule about dating his employees, and now that he owns the diner, dating Anita is off the table. When he discovers - at a town business owners' meeting - that Anita is planning to open a café right next to his diner, he can't believe she would compete with him that way, since he already has machines ordered to add a coffee bar in the diner. Anita is heartbroken at Tanner's reaction. Can they ever get back the friendship - at the very least - that each has come to depend on?

While overall, I enjoyed Anita and Tanner's story, I will say that this wasn't my favorite Kathleen Fuller book. It took me a long time to "get into it" and seemed to be a lot of retracing the same feelings over and over. I've seen other reviewers describe Anita as "wishy-washy". I didn't see her that way as much as I saw her as very insecure. She grew up in a home where she was the only underachiever. Her father and brother are doctors, her mother a psychologist, and her sister, a lawyer. She barely graduated from high school, and has worked as a lowly waitress ever since. She gets a steady barrage of criticism anytime her mother sees her - from her job, to her clothing, to the way she wears her hair, to the fact that she's not married or seeing anyone - nothing about her life suits her mother. She stays in the background, not wanting to be noticed, then is surprised and hurt when Tanner doesn't notice her.

I gave this three of five stars, and can still recommend it. It is book two in Fuller's Maple Falls series.