Cover Image: Fallen Angel (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 13)

Fallen Angel (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 13)

I received this book for an honest review:

We are back in Black Rock and Jenna along with Dave are called to the ski resort nearby because of a missing person. It turns out that there is a crime writer's convention taking place and someone is missing. When finding her dead the weekend takes a different turn. Along with a snowstorm that comes in and makes everything worse in looking for the killer.
  You still have good writing that keeps you going from page to page. Her one deputy and his wife are having their baby which is a problem because of the blizzard. One of the M.E.’s girls is at the convention so they are also wanting to protect her as well. Then there is tension between Jenna and Dave which only adds to the story. A very good book and very much worth the read.
Oooh I love this deliciously dark isolating tale! This is the first time I have thought, oh you can read this as a standalone but then, I stopped myself! No no no no, too much has happened and more is happening! So read the series!

I loved the isolation of this book, being in a ski resort, the cold and the darkness surrounding you amplifies the terror and fear so well in this book. I mean I LOVE skiing but I don’t think I could stay somewhere like here! Add on the chapters from the killer and their calculating thoughts and inner amusements, all adding to the horrors we find with each page turned!

However, don’t get me wrong I do wish this fictional town was real so I could go and visit. Despite the location of the new cake shop, I want to visit it! It sounded lush. The town always sounds so quaint and I really want to go to Aunt Betty’s!!!

Outside the murders and the isolation, so much is going on with the team – I can’t say too much because well spoiler! However, we do wonder whether things will be the same. I have to say, I do feel sorry for the team because they definitely get put through the wringer!

All I can say is I loved this instalment and I just think we have no signs of slowing down….well I hope not! A world without Dave and Jenna just doesn’t bear thinking about!
D.K. Hood's Kane and Alton series always grab my interest. This book allows us to look at Jena Alton's past and we learn how she wound up in Black Rock Falls. The intensity of her past life gave me chills and thrills! Her character brings you to your knees and back into a fighting stance. There is nothing weak or fragile about her character. Her undercover situation is a tense one and I felt as if I was right there with her!

This is a must read for those following the series. Very intriguing characters in uncharacteristic situations! Thank you #Net Galley for providing me with AC and making my day!
So, this was an easy book to read and I was captivated. It is not going to win awards but I did enjoy it and did want to know who the killer was and why he was doing it.  The fact that they were at a crime writers convention was really unique and I did learn a lot and that was my takeaway from the novel.

I was sufficiently charmed by the main characters though to want to read more in their story so the author has done his job well.

I was given a free copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.
Jenna Alton and Dave Kane are called to a murder scene at a book convention. The bodies start to appear in rapid succession but the weather proves as bitter an enemy as the killer...
Fallen Angel is the 13th book to feature Kane and Alton. There are no spoilers about events in previous books (I have previously reviewed books 4-12 in the series: The Crying Season, Where Angels Fear, Whisper in the Night, Break the Silence, Her Broken Wings, Her Shallow Grave, Promises in the Dark, Be Mine Forever. and Cross My Heart.)
A literary convention is being held at a ski resort, packed with authors, agents and publishers as welll as fans. The weather plays an important role in the plot, almost another character in its own right as the snow changes the landscape and adds an extra dimension to the setting.
The book is written mainly from the third person perspective of the police but there are also chapters showing the victims in their final moments. Some chapters of the killer's viewpoint are interspersed and these are written in the first person so we understand the twisted logic behind the deaths. We also are able to anticipate the next kill which increases the tension and anticipation.
The pace is fast as the police team battle against the weather and a single minded killer. However personal considerations are also important to the plot. Jenna and Dave's relationship hits a major roadblock as another member of the team has some happy family news. I love the relationship side to the main characters and feel a real investment in them getting together after so many books where they've teetered on the edge of love.
Fallen Angel is a gripping crime thriller and I look forward to the next book to catch up with the characters again.
A serial killer loose among the mystery writers convention in a hotel cutoff from civilization due to a blizzard. While it was reported as a death by accident, the detective duo of Kane and Alton , is now in a race to prevent the body count from increasing. Add a bit of unfinished love story angle and the complexity and interesting twists increases. While this book can be read as a standalone, I think , a couple of initial books of this series might have helped me get a better idea on the dynamics between the duo. But let it be said that this was a very interesting book, with great details on police procedural steps and a good whodunit story line.

Thank you Netgalley for sharing this book with me in exchange for my unbiased review.

Overall Rating 3.5
Fallen Angel by DK Hood

I haven’t read all of the books in the series but what I did was so good that I had to jump on the blog tour for this story.

It’s so gripping and suspenseful that I couldn’t stop reading til the last page. I really wanted to know who was the killer and the way the author brought up all the clues and puzzle pieces was so well done.

I loved the interaction and more so the friendship between Jenna and David. The gruesome scenes were really interesting done and the fact that they were actually at a crime convention made it more intriguing to see what happened next.

If you’re looking for a great story, look no further than this. A must read!

Very grateful to the publisher for my review copy through NetGalley
Another in the sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane series
Love these books
This is a great book will have you hooked to the end
Can’t wait for the next in the series
Thanks NetGalley
A crime book festival in Black Rock Falls???! Featuring an author who’s written a series about the murders that happen in Black Rock Falls?? Sign me up for that series…. Oh wait…

This is my 13th trip to my favourite part of Montana and it’s the depths of winter, similar to when I first entered the world of Kane and Alton – cold, snowy and treacherous travel conditions. Thank goodness I’m safe in the perimeter of my own home!! Just as the signs of the UK winter start to show themselves!

So a literary convention and its participants has descended on the remote ski resort just outside Black Rock Falls just as the evil winter snow hits. And to add to the excitement of such an event, someone bumps off one of the leading and quite ruthless agents in the business. Kane is right though when he says “What would be better at a crime-book convention than a murder?” Talk about apt!

My first insight into the killer’s psyche is very unsettling. They think they’re perfect and special, above the law. As I delved into this individual’s thought process, I got shivers down my spine. My own personal experience of the crime fiction community, from readers and bloggers to writers and agents is they are all lovely people without a vindictive bone in their bodies – well not in real life anyway – what happens on the page is a different matter!

This may be book 13 which as we all know is the unluckiest of all the numbers but for Hood, this is far from unlucky. Fallen Angel is a claustrophobic and chilling read with the team racing to track the killer who is elusive, able to blend into the crowd and avoid all the CCTV. Hood properly hoodwinked me with this investigation. But as always, I was taken hook line and sinker into the bosom of the sheriff’s department and was engrossed in both their investigation and their personal lives – but I’ll say no more about the latter! The Kane and Alton series is one of the few I’ve managed to keep with since I met them both four years ago. Can’t wait to get to know a bit more about Jenna’s journey to Black Rock Falls when Don’t Look Back is released in February!
This book isn't for the squeamish or the faint of heart. The author has certainly concocted a fiendish killer in this one. And the killer is versatile to boot, coming up with unique ways to take out each of their victims. You'll need to read the book to discover why this person kills and chooses the methods they do.

This book offered added fun because it took place at a mystery writers convention too. Greatly enjoyed and recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture,  and the author for an advanced reading copy.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book in exchange my honest review.

This book is thirteen by D.K. Hoods and it's so brilliant thrilling Detectives Kane and Alton series and it shows no signs of slowing down. A fantastic addition to the series. I love this series and it just keeps getting stronger. I was hooked and stayed up late into the night as I couldn't get enough and I had no clue who the killer was. This is an action packed crime thriller that definitely had me on the edge of my seat at times. I really like author D.K. Hood's writing style. I enjoyed following along with the team's investigation of the murders.  I sure wish the Author could write much faster. Waiting patiently for the next instalment. Looking forward to the next one. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'Fallen Angel' by DK Hood.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for DK Hood, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 23rd November 2021.

This is the second book I have read by this author. It is also the thirteenth book in the 'Detective Kane and Alton' series but can be read as a standalone. I have previously read 'Cross My Heart' (book twelve in the series) which I highly recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that 'Fans of Lisa Regan, Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot will love this gripping and addictive thriller from USA Today bestselling author D.K. Hood.' I am a huge fan of all three of those authors so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of DK Hood and if this is half as good as 'Cross My Heart' it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue, 59 chapters and an epilogue. The chapters are  medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is set in Montana, USA 🇺🇸.

This book is written in third person perspective and the main protagonists are Sheriff Jenna Alton and Detective David Kane. The benefits of third person perspective with multiple protagonists are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

OMG!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS BOOK!!! D.K HOOD you just keep getting better and better!!!

This book is fantastically written and had me hooked from the first page until the last. DK Hood way of writing is perfectly evocative and she has such a creative imagination!! The descriptions were so vivid and realistic I felt myself feeling the cold and reaching for a blanket to warm me up. This has got to be one of the best storyline I have ever read!!!! Murders at a crime book convention and not only that but murders based...... Argh, no I won't say anymore as I don't want to say too much to spoil it for the reader. Needless to say I absolutely LOVED the storyline. This book is absolutely perfect for any crime lovers as you are literally reading about crime authors, crime books, crime and murder!!! It just does not get better than that!!! I absolutely LOVE books filled with books and this just nailed it on the head. I loved that the killer complains about books that have not been written from a Killers perspective!!! Just seriously, I cannot say how brilliant all the book talk was!!! The storyline is packed with tension, suspense, books, authors, publishers, murder, tension and filled with twists and turns. I was absolutely shocked when everything was revealed and was not expecting it at all!!! A HUGE congratulations to D.K Hood, it is getting harder and harder to shock me but you did it well!!! I also enjoyed the fact that everything was explained at the end as I hate loose ends and when something is mentioned or happens in a book and then is forgotten about. D.K Hood has obviously done her research on police procedurals which is yet another bonus as I've read many crime novels where the authors make massive mistakes due to not doing enough research. This is an absolutely unputdownable page turner and I cannot wait to read the previous and future books in what is promising to be an addictive series.

Although this is the thirteenth book in the series I had absolutely no problems reading it without the others. Any details or events that have previously happened are mentioned in just the right amount of detail to let a new reader know what has happened and yet not too much to bore a previous reader.

I absolutely LOVED meeting the characters again and they are all realistic and I became completely invested in them. I love that Jenna is such a strong female lead that has history and has been through so much but doesn't cower and stands strong. I enjoyed watching her relationship with Kane and I am looking forward to going back to how they met and moving forward to see where  it goes. Kane is another fantastic character that I became invested in and I adore how protective of Jenna he is. The team dynamics worked well and I also enjoyed getting to know more about Rio, Wolfe and Rowley and I look forward to meeting them all again. I also enjoyed getting to "meet" and see more of Julie and Emily in this book. I must say my favourite had to be Duke though!!!! What an absolutely fantastic addition, I just love it when pets play such large parts in books.

Congratulations D.K Hood on what promises to be a huge success!!! Very rarely an authors books get better but you have certainly mastered it!!! I cannot wait to get stuck into more of your books and I would like to welcome you to my favourite crime author list!!!

This book is definitely in my top 10 and considering I've read 1000's this is a HUGE achievement!!!

Overall an absolutely addictive, heart racing and unputdownable crime thriller that will keep you up all night.

Genres covered in this novel include Police Procedural, Suspense, Mystery, Thriller, Noir Fiction and Crime Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Lisa Regan, Melinda Leigh, Angela Marsons, Carol Wyer, Kendra Elliot and anyone looking for a gripping page turner .

346 pages.

This book is just £2.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#FallenAngel #Bookouture  #DKHood #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@DKHood @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

This series just gets better and better. Loved loved loved this book. This author is just wow - I would read anything by her. Brilliant story. I was completely absorbed. Cannot wait for the next.
Book 13 in the series and it was as amazing as ever!
Jenna and Kane are called to a crime writers’ convention at the ski resort - one of the agents has been murdered and submerged in an icy lake.
After a second murder, in different circumstances, they are forced to lock down the resort and keep all the guests on site, aided by blizzards blocking the roads.,
The guests are still convinced this is all part of a murder mystery game laid on for their entertainment, but when the murderer becomes interested in Wolfe’s daughter Julie, it becomes personal.
In amongst all the action is the unfolding story of Jenna and Kane’s relationship, have they hit a rocky patch so early on?
Great writing, great plot and it was lovely to be back with old friends again.
The setting of Black Rock Falls and the characters of Alton and Kane are what keeps me coming back to this series.
I think it’s more a case of Fear-of-missing-out on something that has pulled me along this far into the series.
This story is good but it’s a bit “samey” and regular readers are going to be able to anticipate what is happening well in advance of it appearing on the page
A frozen body under ice….what happened?
Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy Dave Kane are about to investigate this mysterious incident.  The crime occurred at a hotel where a convention is going on.. Coincidentally there is a crime writers convention going on.  But, is it a coincidence?  Everyone is a suspect as the investigation commences.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
I've been so excited waiting for this book to arrive and I certainly wasn't disappointed! This latest Kane and Alton outing has all the usual elements of suspense,twists, diabolical murder and the teasing tentative romance between our favourite crime fighting duo . Added to that, this time we have the added frisson of the murders taking place in a ski resort where the murderer and his victims are attending a crime writers convention and they find themselves cut off in the middle of a snow blizzard. There's no escape until they can catch the murderer . Reminiscent of Agatha Christie's," And then there was none" , in regards to the claustrophobic element of being trapped with the murderer who seems able to pick off and kill his victims in the most gruesome ways, right under the noses of the detectives. However, the similarity ends there. There's nothing cosy about this mystery. It's a pure psychological thriller which has the reader literally afraid to breathe in parts . I loved the shift in Kane and Alton' s relationship and its hints of more to come ; beautifully handled ! D.K.Hood is the gift that keeps on giving . More please -soon !
Fallen Angel is the thirteenth book in the police procedural series featuring Detectives David Kane and Jenna Alton. I picked up this series with Whisper in the Night (book 6) and I also thoroughly enjoyed books seven through to twelve.

Set in Black Rock Falls, Montana, Sheriff Jenna Alton makes a very likeable detective. Jenna has a good team to handle crime in the small town, which has certainly seen more than its fair share of murders! Her deputy, David Kane is a former Special Forces marksman with exceptional profiling skills.

In this instalment, Jenna finds a single pearl earring in the frosty grass that gives them their first lead in the case of a young woman who goes missing from her hotel room at a ski resort and is found under the ice in a frozen lake. As I knew it would be, this novel was a well balanced, electrifying and solid police procedural that had me glued to the pages. I didn't want to put it down as I was desperate to know the outcome of the story. This really was a spectacular, chilling and atmospheric crime-thriller that grabbed me hook, line and sinker. All the time the tension snowballed as D.K. Hood launched at me some captivating misdirection. The writing flowed effortlessly and swiftly in a story rich in drama. I will be seeking out the first five instalments of this masterful series. A brilliant, compelling, pulse-pounding and very highly recommended crime-thriller.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Fallen angel by D.K. Hood.
Detective Kane and Alton book 13.
Hurrying along the dark, snow-covered path, she knows she’s not alone when she hears the light tread of someone behind her. Panic rising in her chest, she picks up the pace. But she doesn’t even have a chance to scream before everything goes black.
Ooh my. This just gets better and better.  I never want this series to end.  I love Jenna and David. Another brilliant read in this series.  I love it. 5*.
Another brilliant book in one of my favourite series.
Jenna and Dave are called out to a hotel complex outside Black Rock Falls as a woman is missing and a shoe has been discovered.
Her body is soon found in the lake and the team descend on the hotel.
The weather decides to create havoc and soon Jenna, Dave and some of the team are stranded at the hotel.
The body count starts to rise and they realise they are trapped there with a killer.
With the killer holding one of them in their sights, the team pull out all the stops to protect each other.
A fantastic addition to the series.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.