Cover Image: An Unreliable Magic

An Unreliable Magic

This is the second book in the A Hundred Names for Magic series, and I would recommend reading Wicked As You Wish prior to this one. I will do my best to keep this spoiler-free, but be advised you kay inadvertently be spoiled if you haven’t read the first book!

Tala and the gang are all preparing for the Snow Queen to attack again, but they aren’t as unified as they once were. In fact, things just get messy and complicated and no one really knows who to trust anymore.

Much like the first book, this one also had a very large cast of characters. It’s easier to follow because generally I knew who they were now, but it’s still a lot of kids, a lot of parents, a lot of people otherwise. I think this is just generally a thing with Rin’s books. The book also has some re-telling elements of fairy tales while intertwined with current hot topics in society like ICE and medication costs. Overall, more action (yay) and there’s snarky chapter titles you can’t help but love.

I generally enjoyed this book, moreso than the first, but I can’t say I would continue on beyond this point.

Thank you to @netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. The review expresses my own personal opinions.
Alex, Tala and the rest are safe for now but the Snow Queen is still out there and no one knows what she is planning next, but they need to be prepared.  So the Banders train.  They also go on missions but the last few Ryker has showed up and while it might be nice he is there to fight the ice wolves, they might not have had to fight them if he hadn't showed up and now have refugees to deal with.  Will all of this help them in the end fight the Snow Queen?

This book is a mash up of ever fairy tale and kids story you have ever heard.  From the pirate ship in Peter Pan, to Rapunzel, to  the sword in the stone, and many more for you to discover, but that makes the book even more fun.  This book is 100 percent action and a really fun read that will have you up way past your bedtime.

This review will appear on my blog on May 3rd
i really loved this book!! the characters were well rounded and it was just an amazing sequel! expected nothing less from such an amazing author and her amazing worldbuilding
I loved reading this book! I found the writing to be very insightful and interesting. I was intrigued by the premise and I enjoyed reading it from start to finish.
Oh my goodness I wholeheartedly recommend this book! So good! I enjoyed the first book in this series and I was intrigued to see how the second would play out. I loved it, even better than the first. I actually plan to reread the first and purchase this when it officially comes out to get the full experience all over again. I applaud this author for creating a series that is a reimagining of modern fairytales with diverse characters and creative twists and turns throughout the story.

This book brings us back to Avalon, where the frost curse may have been broken, but there is still a load of work to do to rebuild the country. King Alex is burning the candle at both ends to rule a county and strengthen diplomatic ties while also secretly sanctioning the Banders to mitigate international injustices. Tala struggles to understand how the loving father of her childhood could also be the villain of old legends. She is also trying sort through her feelings for Ryker, who she has feelings for, but she is also deeply hurt by his betrayal and loyalties to the enemy. Zoe is managing the ramifications from her curse, and Cole tries to help her to safely manage the ramifications. Some of Nya’s secrets are revealed, and Ken is hurt by what he finds out. West becomes famous, but nobody actually recognizes him.  Last, Loki balances his desire to be a Fianna and also his duty to Alex and the Banders. All the while, the Snow Queen still plots for Avalon’s destruction.

Overall, fantastic read. I cannot wait for book 3.  Buy and read this book. The only criticism I have is that I like the cover style of the first book more than I like this cover, but the story inside is so good it’s really not a big deal. Again, I highly recommend! Thank you NetGalley for providing be with an ARC of this book.
An Unreliable Magic by Rin Chupeco is the second book of the A Hundred Names for Magic series. Tala, Alex, and their friends are safe now, but they know that the Snow Queen is out there. They’ve decided to prepare for her inevitable attack. Soon Ryker starts attacking detention facilities and freeing refugees. Tala’s in for a surprise when the Nameless Sword, a weapon that is said to make whoever wields it the most powerful warrior, is in her hands. The friends will have to work together when the Snow Queen decides to strike with an unlikely ally.

This follow-up is just as fun as the first book. Lots of banter to be enjoyed. I also like the mix of fantasy world problems and real-world problems.
An unreliable magic by Rin Chupeco is the brilliant sequel of Wicked as you wish and I couldn't wait to get back to this world and the Bandersnatch people!
Like before, magic and technology are wonderfully mixed and now king, Alex finds himself facing attacks and doubts from outside, confronting the other countries leaders and facing the discovering of a certain sword Alex knows well. With the Queen threat looming, will they be able to stick together and win?

I loved reading this book! It's immersive and so brilliant, the characterization is amazing and there are many POVs, so the reader can follow the plot and what happens to each characters, with their feelings, doubts, love stories and magic. It's Amazing!
Prophecies, complicated relationships, and a kingdom to save. The crew is all back again and this time they’ll be facing their potential dooms, an Ice Queen with crafty motives, love interests with secrets, and oh, the possibility their entire kingdom could go up in ice. The second book in the A Hundred Names for Magic Trilogy picks up where the first one finished, with Alex newly coordinated as King, with Tala giving up the all powerful Nameless sword and discovering her father’s secret past, and Ryker dealing with the conflicted feelings of who he will have to side with, his mother who has committed crimes but has loved him or the girl he has fallen in love with who keeps saving him despite the things he’s done. Alex must deal with not only the difficulties of ruling but finding a way to protect his kingdom, his friends, and the complicated relationship with his ex. Tala is struggling to accept her father’s past, with the other side of her family she didn’t know about, and the fact that the boy she fell for, who had betrayed her, is back and she has no idea what his motives are except that he is constantly telling her that no matter what happens he’ll always protect her. The crew are all dealing with their own separate curses, drama, and family issues: Zoe and Cole discover how intertwined their dooms are and how despite both fighting their feelings for each other... they just might be more in love than either cares to admit, Nya and Ken also must deal with their dooms and how Nya’s secret might break their budding feelings, Loki must face a decision and uncover what matters to them. All in all this was a wonderful continuation of the first book, I had fun reading about the growing relationship between the characters and OH MY LOVES RYKER AND TALA, I LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH AND THAT ENDING?!?! I’M ALREADY BEGGING FOR THE LAST BOOK RIN CHUPECO!!

*Thanks Netgalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire, Sourcebooks Fire for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*
Thank you to the publisher & NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review the novel. I am rating this book with my own opinion and have not received anything in return. Great book! Very diverse characters!
amazing sequal , thank you so much netgalley for the arc, the characters and world picked up from where it ended pretty quickly giving an amazing reading experience
Thanks, NetGalley and the publisher for the  ARC.
3.8
This was such a fantastic read, loved being with these characters in this world again, loved the shenanigans that went down in this book! Can't wait for book 3!
I love every seconds of this book!
Took my chance of jumping straight into this 2nd book (own the 1st one will read it very soon!) and oh boy I love it so muchhh. Fast paced, action packed, and lovable characters! The Wonderland setting is impeccable! I love Tala, Loki, Alex, Nya, Ken, Zoe, Gray... actually I love everyone. Have so many fav scenes but I adore Loki and baby Jabberwocky (I want a wockling too!), Zoe and Gray! Also rooting for Tala and Ryker but... that epilogue...
I need book 3 ASAP! Love this one so much!!
Thank you to Sourcebooks, Ms. Chupeco and Netgalley for the ARC copy.

I had to read the first one so I can fully appreciate the sequel. With "Wicked As You Wish," I gave it 3 stars. I felt that it needed more especially in building up the characters and the plot. It has thr possibilities and potential but it felt sort of flat. Book 2, "An Unreliable Magic," was a
lot better. We know more about the characters. I love the side stories of the other Banders, it gave you an idea of who they are and not just part of the story background. Although, I feel Tala and Alex are a bit too good to be true though.
Okay, I see what the author's tried to do, but it just didn't reach the heights I thought it was going to. After having read the first book, I expected some imrpovement over certain matters in the second, but the worldbuilding here still feels a bit messy. Tales and folklore and myths smushed together, like in an all-you-can-eat ice cream parlor where the flavors are all side-by-side, but by the end of the day so many people had dug in and splattered chocolate to vanilla and strawberry on mint that it just ends up looking like a revolting multicolored glob.

But everything else about the book was fine. Didn't connect much to the characters still, but I was curious enough by the last book to see where their journey would lead. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be reading the third book in the installment.
I love Rin Chupeco’s writing and this second instalment of her newest ya did not disappoint. It had some great twists and was action packed and I adored the main characters plus the snow queen!
Okay, so I love Rin. The Bone Witch trilogy and The Never Tilting World are some of my favorite reads from the past 2-3 years. I read Wicked As You Wish last year, and it wasn't my favorite. It feels really immature compared to the Bone Witch and Never Tilting World and it just seemed to have gotten worse with Unreliable Magic. I had to DNF this at 10% because the dialogue was so cringy I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I knew I was probably not going to love this going into it, but it just feels so... 80's cartoon dialogue.

I'm not sure if she wrote this series before she sold her other books and it was just on her computer, but it's nothing like her regular dark stuff. I don't like the world-building, I don't like the characters, and it's not even like it's CW writing... it's worse, it's like *freeform* channel writing. Yes, that bad.

So I'm sorry, Rin, I'll be picking up any other series from you, as long as it's dark and moody and not... whatever this is. If you love magical realism, diverse characters, and fairy tales, this series will be way up your alley. Unfortunately for me, it just felt more juvenile than what I've come to expect from her.
The world of Wicked As You Wish/An Unreliable Magic is like the Mad Hatter’s teaparty of fairytale/myth/legend absolutely madcap mashups that you never knew you needed but can’t help but fall in love with…I love having so many, many different characters/stories all being woven together into one world, which is also so similar and yet different from the actual real world. A lot of the characters are descendants of famous fairytale characters instead of everyone just straight up being those characters - which keeps it familiar but also new and interesting at the same time.

There is SO much happening in this world and so many characters, story lines, character arcs…it is a lot to keep track of and does sometimes jump all over the place, but it’s also a lot of fun and wildly entertaining.

Such a wonderfully inclusive group of characters, and very clear nods to the current real world political climate and current events that feels relatable and cathartic to read. I’m super invested in all of the main characters at this point and love the growth for all of them in this latest book…and can’t wait for the next installation to see what happens next!

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for providing me with this eARC!
A great follow-up! The world building is just as rich as book 1, our characters are growing up and facing their issues and deepening their relationships with each other along the way, and while I normally don’t enjoy stories that swap out POVs, especially so often, Rin Chupeco always does these switches so well.  Also, those chapter titles!
Thank you so much, NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire, for the chance to read and review this book in exchange of an honest review.

Tala, Alex and their friends are safe for now, but nothing is simple in their lives. The Snow Queen is still out there, threatening Avalon and them all, portals are opening in Avalon without control, Ryker is intervening and saving refugees children kept captive, Tala's relationship with her father is strained since the revelation about his past, the Nameless Sword turns up with Tala's name on it...Tala's life is getting more and more messier, but she's not the only one with struggles. Alex is facing politics and new responsibilities, while trying to undo the curse on him, Zoe is struggling with her feelings, Cole and what she lost using the spellstone, Loki is facing pressure and their will and desire to discover what is happening in Avalon and with the Ozcorp technology, Ken and Nya are trying to understand what their dooms mean for each other, West finds himself a star in his canine form and this book is a true rollercoaster.

I absolutely loved reading Wicked as you wish and its sequel is amazing!
As the first one, the chapter titles are hilarious, like "In which everyone is talking about the Fight Club" and I  love these characters and how the author is able to intertwine POVs, their struggles, feelings and problems with the complex and intriguing plot. I love the Bandersnatchers and the relationships they have and I loved how they were developed and deepened in this second book. Alex and Tala, Zoe and Cole, Ken and Nya, I really enjoyed reading their personal struggles and problems and how seamlessly they are intertwined with politics, exciting getaways, mysteries and battles. As for the first one I loved how the magic and technology are mixed, and how characters from myths and books are real and important in their reality, like the Cheshire cat or the Jolly Rogers, Hook and Peter Pan.
Each character is wonderfully characterized and I was so happy to learn more about them all. The plot is captivating and I enjoyed how everything was pieced together in the end, alliances, relationships and revelations.
I also loved how the author addresses refugees' problems and injustice, abuse and loss in these books, with sentitivity and care.
I can't wait to read the next book.
Much like the first in this series, I dove in head first and devoured the sequel as well. I loved being back with the characters again and following along with them on all their shenanigans. I’ve always loved that this cast of characters all come from so many different backgrounds and I think it just adds to everything in this book as well as the first book. It’s a perfect blend of Fantasy, Strong Women, Multi-Culture Characters, Pop Culture and Adventure.