Cover Image: The Silent Friend

The Silent Friend

I loved the concept of this book! When I read the synopsis I was really excited to read this. As I started it though I had a really hard time connecting and caring for the characters. Sadly, I did not finish this book.
Tragedy brought them together. The truth will tear them apart.

It’s supposed to be Laura’s dream holiday: a trip to France with a group of friends to see their favourite band play live. But the holiday quickly turns to disaster, and Laura is left haunted by terrifying images from the worst night of her life.  When Laura finds an online support group for victims like her, she’s not convinced it will help. But then Sandrine replies to her message, and she seems to understand what Laura’s going through, in a way that no one else can.  Soon, Laura and Sandrine are sharing their deepest thoughts and feelings with each other. But one of them has a terrible secret – she isn’t who she says she is. And once the twisted truth is revealed, there’s no going back…

What is it with 2022?  This is the second book I have read this year and this was not really the book I was expecting at all.  I liked Laura's part of the story more than Sandrine's, however, both were pretty compelling to read.  The tragedy that Laura had to endure was something I could never imagine happening but I guess that is why Jeffrey did such a good job of telling the story.  No one really knows when something like that will happen or when your life will completely change.
This is overall a great story and very well written, good character development. I think this book has a lot of potential if it was marketed differently. It’s not a thriller as it’s categorized. I feel that it should be in a different category entirely and that the book cover doesn’t really represent the story as it should.
The two main charters in this book are trying to cope with the after effects of a traumatic event. However, the way they experienced and view the event are vastly different.  The difference between their experiences is both shocking and emotional.  This was the first book I’ve read in while that kept me at the edge of my seat while simultaneously tugging at my heart strings.  Highly recommend!
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
The synopsis of this book sounded intriguing to me so I requested a copy to read.
Unfortunately, I have tried reading this book on 2 separate occasions and during this 2nd attempt, I have
decided to stop reading this book
and state that this book just wasn't for me.
I wish the author, publisher and all those promoting the book much success and connections with the right readers.
Two women, connected by one night. Laura goes to France on a girls trip and attends a concert with her friends that is attacked by a terrorist attack. Later, she meet a woman online, who is connected to that night as well, and they develop a friendship to work their pain and trauma.

This book is amazing. It's about much more than friendship. It's about religion and PTSD, trauma and love, motherhood and guilt, grief and surviving. Diane Jeffrey writes with a tender hand, weaving this story together gently guiding it around the connections, slowly and slower and even slower until the point where everything CLICKS and you...YOU the reader....you put down the book (or in my case, the kindle) and scream "NOOOO'.

This was a surprise and it was wonderful.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Now this is a page turner! Intense barely begins to describe it. Unlikeable characters but they will stick with you for days after reading. And I’ll say that I did not see that coming. I cannot wait to read more by this author.
This book was quite the eye-opening surprise. From the cover and the blurb, you’d NEVER guess what this book is about, and I’m not going to tell you, because it’s one of the most shocking scenes I’ve read lately in a thriller.
I liked the synopsis when I read it, but when I began reading, it just didn’t grab my attention. I couldn’t get invested in either of the main characters and the plot dragged for me. This book wasn’t for me.
I haven't read any from this author, I received my copy from NetGalley publishers! I really liked this book, I liked the cover on it and the title to it, it kept you on your toes for sure.
I hope you'll enjoy this one as much as I did.
Highly recommend this book! This was my first book to read by this author and I can't wait to read more! The characters and the story stay with you long after you finish the book. One of the best books I have read in a long time.
Wow! This book kept me up late into the wee hours at night and I was totally into this book. Laura takes a trip to France with her friends and the unthinkable happens when they go to a concert. Laura and her friends find themselves in a horrific situation in the midst of a terrorist attack and are held as hostages and it all unfolds unlike anything I’ve ever read! I felt EVERY SINGLE emotion while reading this book. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review.
This is Suspense/Hard Hitting Fiction. This book is not a mystery/thriller. I hated the beginning, and I almost DNF this book. Around 15% the book took a turn and I got pulled into it finally. This is one of those books that really makes you think, and I really love those books. The characters in this book is not super lovable, but they where living through something very hard to life through. I love seeing this event through both sides eyes, and I love the feelings this book pulled out of me. I received an ARC of this book. This review is my own honest opinion about the book like all my reviews are.
Thank you Netgalley and Harper 360, HQ Digital for the arc of this book. It's a good thing this book was written so well because it was a tough, tragic story and a lesser author would not be able to pull it off. Kudos to Diane Jeffery.  Laura and Sandrine were completely different characters and I couldn't help rooting for them both. I didn't love the epilogue because it felt like it was just tacked on.
This book was a page turner from beginning to end. This book will have you guessing until the end. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This book was not at all what I expected, which was a mystery/thriller. It is a much more serious novel about a terrorist attack, told from differing perspectives of those involved. It was difficult to read at times, and not particularly enjoyable, but it was well done and worth reading. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
What did I just read?

The Silent Friend, was incredible. Filled with twist after twist, the excitement and anticipation for what would happen next had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This was my first novel by Diane Jeffrey, but it will not be my last. Diane Jeffrey's talent is present as soon as you start reading. Her style was fluid, character description was on point and the story line was out of this world. I am an instant fan.

Laura is SO excited to go on a dream vacation to France. Laura and a group of friend are going to be seeing their favorite band preform . What could go wrong?

How about everything......

Laura can not forget what happened that night. Struggling, she finds a support group online and connects with Sandrine. Sandrine and Laura become instant friends as they form a connection through understanding one another.

The thing is, one of them is holding on to a deep dark secret. Not everyone is who you think they are. Once the secret is exposed there is no going back.................

This is an absolute must read and needs to be on everyone's pre-order list. You do not want to miss this one!
I absolutely love the plot of this story. Diane Jeffery flawlessly weaved such a wicked suspense novel, you won’t be able to unravel until the end. Her characters are so well created and masked you won’t know who to trust
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

A trip with friends turns into Laura's worst nightmare when the concert they are at is attacked by terrorists. The night haunts Laura and she joins a message board to help cope with the trauma. She connects with Sandy, whose son died that night. Sandy, however, has secrets.

I thought this book was well thought out and dealt with tough subject matter fairly well. The characters were relatable and fleshed out. I liked the timeline and how even though it jumped around, the way it did so always made sense within the narrative and it was easy to stay focused.
When I first saw the description do this book on Net Galley, I mentioned to a friend that this seemed like the European version of the Netflix show Dead to Me. I soon realized that I was right, but this book takes the concept to a new level. The story hurts my heart to read, from both sides, but it also shows perspectives people may not think about in the unfortunately growing number of similar situations today.

The story was very well written, but the early chapters jump around in a way that makes the story harder to get hooked on until you understand the situation Laura has been in.

I like the journey the author takes Laura on to her healing, and on the flip side, the journey Sandrine must take as the mother of someone who has done something unthinkable.

The book was very well written and I stayed engaged with the story until the very last chapter. I understand the desire for the author to wrap the book up in a pretty bow and give it the happiest ending possible, but I think it took away from the story. I wish the book had ended differently because it feels to me like it just skips forward a year and all of a sudden everything is forgiven. It just didn’t seem realistic.