Cover Image: THE NIGHT THIEF

THE NIGHT THIEF

One reason I like Joy Ellis' books is that both the Rowan Jackman & Marie Evans and the Nikki Galena & Joe Easter books have well-developed members of their teams.  Over the course of the series, the minor characters have become so familiar, and I always look forward to the way they work together.  It isn't necessary to have read the previous books in the series since the mysteries are completed in each book, but the pleasure of having watched the secondary characters come to life over the series.
Number eight in this series. A thief is creeping into houses during the night but only stealing family photos, this has the police puzzled. Then an elderly lady falls down the stairs to her death and the case becomes a murder investigation. As the body count rises Jackman and Evans are struggling to work out who is responsible and why.
Another intriguing novel, fast paced and action packed until the end.
I actually didn’t get to finish the book before it expired, and I wanted to. But my interest wouldn’t hold. Too many storylines, jumping around. Overall, what I did read I enjoyed a bit. Was curious about the murderer. Wish I had more time.

The Night Thief by Joy Ellis was another very enjoyable book. This is the 8th book in the DI Jackman & DS Evans Series. This latest book from Joy had everything you needed for another great read. It was full of twists and turns throughout and very fast paced! Just Brilliant.

I highly recommend this series and all books by Joy. They are a wonderful cosy read.

Big thanks to the author, Joffe Books and Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction
Many thanks to the author, Joffe Books and Netgalley for the digital copy of this fiction in exchange my honest review.

The Night Thief is the eighth instalment in Ellis’ Jackman and Evans series. This was another good one by Ms. Ellis. It was narrated in the concurrent storylines, and how each one raises so many questions. The friendship between the two officers Evans and Jackman was already very well established. The pace is slow at the beginning but hooked my totally. There's also quite a lot of characters to remember. There's a few twists along the way. I was totally gripped from the very first page. Adrenaline pumping suspense and more twists and turns than a big bowl of spaghetti I found myself guessing and changing my mind numerous times all the way through. An absolutely outstanding read and one that will stay with me for a long time. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
An excellent book as always by Joy which I couldn't put down.   Detective Inspector Jackman and Detective Sergeant Marie Evans are investigating with their team a man who breaks into certain houses at night and steals a photo of a young boy.    I would thoroughly recommend this book and the previous books in the series by Joy Ellis. to anyone who loves a good murder mystery!
Another book in the Jackman series but easily read as a standalone as any past personal details you need are covered and do not interfere with the investigation.
This is an interesting police procedural that keeps the reader engaged. The book follows the police investigations and the reader can see the clues and information build up but alongside that is the personal life of the main characters and that gives the book a very human touch and fleshes out the characters.
A satisfying read.
Someone is breaking into the homes of women while they sleep, but he only takes one thing, a photo of their child. Then, an elderly woman falls to her death after seeing someone in her home. The authorities figure out that it was no accidental death, but are puzzled.
Why would the intruder do that, and how are the break-ins connected?

I've gone through every book in the DI Jackman and DS Evans series and enjoyed them all, but unfortunately did not feel the same way about The Night Thief. I actually read this one instead of listening to the audiobook, but I don't think even hearing Richard Armitage narrate would change my opinion.

Things That Bothered Me:

Laura needed help with a new patient so she reached out to her mentor, but then he needed to reach out to his colleague, and so then the mentor and colleague met up. The introduction of the colleague did not add to the story and felt unnecessary.

The victims of the thief joined together to figure out why they were targeted but intially kept it a secret from the police. Their reasoning made no sense to me.

I almost DNF this book multiple times, but forced myself to read to the very end since I've invested in these characters after seven, now eight, books. Knowing their histories, it should have been like visiting with old friends again while they solved a crime. Sadly, I found the book lacked any suspense and urgency.
Joy Ellis has done it again!  The Night Thief is a fast paced police mystery that kept me hooked!    I found all the main characters well written and interesting, including the criminals.  As per her usual form, the police were all likeable and decent human beings.  While the ending wasn't a huge surprise, it was a good ending that rounded out the story nicely.
While the women are sleeping, he's stalking their homes stealing one very unusual item: a framed picture of a child.  Detective Jackman and Evans are charged with solving the mystery of these strange break ins.  Then one night a break in leads to the death of an otherwise healthy elderly lady.  Or was she murdered for some unfathomable reason.
As the death count rises, the detectives rush to solve the mystery but with more clues come even more mysteries.
This book was brilliant, I love Joys books she’s one of my favourite authors.  This didn’t disappoint at all I was sucked in from the first page and couldn’t put the book down until it was finished.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, I highly recommend this book and the rest of Joys books they are definitely worthy of five stars.
A spine tingling first few pages as the thought of someone creeping in while you sleep and uou not hearing or sensing a thing

First couple of chapters kept me gripped but then i found that i could not follow the plot line
This is the eighth book in the excellent and high successful series featuring DI Rowan Jackman and DS Marie Evans working in the Fenland Constabulary police. The very close and loyal team of DCs Robbie Melton, Charlie Button, Gary Pritchard, Max Cohen and Kevin Stoner are all present and correct, aided in this story by three great uniformed officers, PCs Stacey Smith, Jay Acharya and Simon Laker. A number of strange incidents are taking place in the area at night. Dr Laura Archer, Jackman’s partner and the force psychologist, has a patient driving his car in his sleep to deal with! This is a problem she shares with her old friend and mentor Professor Sam Page. The shadow of their old nemesis Alistair Ashcroft still hangs over them, despite the man serving a whole life sentence, but Sam is concerned that the killer is already trying to manipulate the system to his own advantage. The detectives have to deal with three break-ins where strangely the only thing taken is a child’s photograph but sadly the last case results in a death. Is there a child stalker on the loose or is he searching for something or someone else? Was the death an accident? As more photos are taken, they wonder if it is their resident and basically harmless long standing nocturnal intruder or is there is a second and more sinister night creeper? To quote their pathologist, the fabulous Professor Rory Wilkinson, “a portrait-pinching Spiderman”. Is he the same man that has been spied by parents hanging around the school gates but without a clear motive? Are these all random coincidences or are any events connected? Jackman and Evans certainly have their hands full with all these people roaming the quiet streets of Saltern-le-Fen and the surrounding villages. Helped by an enterprising group of women and a very special child, can they make sense of these crimes? The conclusion is certainly shocking, dynamic and tinged with a little sadness as all the mysteries are eventually solved by a very skilled group of detectives and a lot of hard work. This story has a host of brilliant characters that the reader can warm to immediately, such as Rory, Spike and Sam, together with all the detectives and their loved ones. I adore the humour and the camaraderie between them, and it’s nice to see them enjoying great home lives as well, making the story all the more rounded and enjoyable. The jam-packed plot is clever and superbly delivered, the characters wonderfully described, and the scenery and setting of these books is perfect for the story. This series just gets better and better! 5*
I absolutely adore books by Joy Ellis. These were some of the ones that i started listening to when i first got really back into reading a few years ago and now she is one of my favourite authors. I adore this series, i love how the character lives are strong throughout and the crime side of it too. They are cosy little books. They are set where i am originally from and i love reading about the different places and how familiar they are to me. It does also cross over to her other series books which i love. The first half of this book sets the scene and then the second is really quite fast paced and i just couldn't put it down. It had two different cases and i loved how these just flowed through the book. A great read in a great series.
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Joffe Books for the electronic copy.

I really enjoyed this book:  I've read a lot of Joy Ellis' books, all set in the Fens, but not this particular series with DI Rowan Jackman and DS Marie Evans.  The story is reasonably fast-paced, and the plot is multi-layered and well-structured with all the major strands coming together in a tense conclusion.

Annie Carson wakes in the night to glimpse a man's figure running from her bedroom; both she and 12-yr old Callum have no idea how he got in but one thing was missing - a photograph of Callum when he was about 10yrs-old.
Sylvia Wilson wakes up to find a muddy footprint on her duvet and her back door open and a photograph of her two young grandsons is missing.
The team have a culprit in mind - Ratty is a prolific offender, content to gain entry to houses just to prove he can - but he's never taken anything before.  When another intrusion results in a woman's death their thoughts turn to murder and the fact that there's another intruder out there.
As the investigation continues to try and find a connection between all the victims and the reason why their photographs should be taken, Annie Carson and son Callum decide to act as amateur sleuths, bringing all the victims together to find their own connection.
Meanwhile Laura, Jackman's partner, has a very difficult patient who's taken sleepwalking to a whole new level - but she's very worried and uncomfortable about him.  Jackman thinks she may be in danger and encourages her to speak with Sam, her mentor, about it.
Then - one of the children in a stolen photo goes missing from his school, apparently taken by a teacher - has this man been looking for one particular child all along - taking and comparing their photos?  If so - Why?

This is a complex and completely absorbing story.
This was a very solid and fun thriller. I definitely would recommend this read if you’re looking for a creepy and scary bool.
Number eight in the Jackman and Evans series and another good read.  Someone is breaking into houses and taking pictures of young boys, but what do all the victims have in common?
Meanwhile Laura has a patient she’s very unsure about presenting with very unusual symptoms
Another great addition to this series
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Wow! What a thrilling journey in the Fens. In this eighth installment in the Evans and Jackman series, a threat has local mothers living in fear as someone enters their homes secretly and photos of their sons go missing. Therapist Laura has her own case to deal with, one giving her anxiety of her own. Each threat becomes terrifyingly real as the cases collide in spectacular fashion. Great, cinematic writing as the landscape plays a role in the style of this thriller. Film series please, oh please!
When everyone is sleeping, he comes into their houses.
He takes one thing. A photo of their child.
A thief on a power trip or something even darker and more sinister?
Detectives Jackman and Evans find themselves on the hunt for a highly unusual burglar who seemingly only steals photographs. But then, late one night, an elderly woman falls to her death after seeing someone in her home.
Did she really fall, or was she murdered?
And just how many mysterious intruders are there on the Fens?
With the body count rising, Jackman and Evans have their work cut out for them to track down the night thief — before it’s too late.

Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
When everyone is asleep, he comes into their homes and takes only one thing-  a photo of a child. Is it a case of a thief on a power trip or something even more dark and sinister?

It begins with someone breaking into women's homes and stealing a single photo of their sons; but it all kicks off when an elderly woman is murdered. These are just a few things under investigation by Detectives Jackman and Evans; while psychologist Laura works with a patient that claims to suffer from somnambulism. The stories, while are weaved together, at times felt a bit out of place. The story starts out incredibly slow, and a little over halfway through the story the action begins.

During the beginning of the story I started to wonder if this was going to be a paranormal story with how much the author pushed the idea of an almost unnatural way the thief accessed the homes. I found it a bit difficult to follow the immense amount of characters walking in and out of the story- using first names, last, and pet names making it hard to follow who the individual is. The twists and turns were well done!

I was given an ARC of this story to read; but thoughts and opinions are all my own. Thank you to Netgalley and Joffee Books for the chance to read this title.
The Night Thief brings back the team of Jackman and Evans on a new case.   The premise of the book just made me cringe!   Someone is entering houses and not doing anything but stealing a picture of a male child.   How creepy!   This one will keep you reading to find out what exactly is going on!