Cover Image: Elinor

Elinor

What happened at Roanoke Colony has long been a mystery. This novel attempts to portray what happened through Elinor’s perspective. Elinor is a very relatable character. I found her to be very strong. She goes through much hardships. Thus, she learns to forgive and embrace in God’s love. Overall, this story is about courage, redemption, and forgiveness. The characters are all very complex. The story is very well-written. It tells an interesting tale on what happened to Elinor and Roanoke Colony. I recommend this for fans of Angela Hunt, Jody Hedlund, and Francine Rivers!
I found this story to be fascinating and very well written.  It captivated me.
Many thanks to Barbour Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This novel gives a very detailed description of what if would have been like to land on Roanoke Island. As someone who's visited a couple times and always been fascinated by the mystery I knew I had to read this. It took me a while to read because there was a lot of historical information I wanted to savor. But I love this time period and the novel felt very real, even though we aren't sure what happened. The grit and hardships are also very real throughout this novel. Definitely worth reading if you've always theorized about Roanoke.
I love historical fiction when it is well done! Shannon McNear did an excellent job with Elinor, postulating what might have been. Elinor is the story of Elinor White Dare and her time as a settler of the Lost Colony of Roanoke. Ms. McNear has written an intriguing story mixing the small amount known about Roanoke with what might have happened. I really enjoyed the storytelling, and her descriptions were enthralling. This is the first book by Ms. McNear that I have read and I hope it won't be the last!

Pour up a glass of peach tea, grab a throw, and settle in for a tale of what might have been...

I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
DNF
While I like historical novels, this one just didn't click for me. Not my style.
Advance Reader Copy provided by NetGalley.
Fascinating historical mystery!

Elinor is a fictionalized account of one of the greatest mysteries in United States history. This is a story that provides a highly entertaining and plausible account of what happened to the colonists who came to the New World in approx. 1587 to start the first permanent colony for England.

Over the centuries, these colonists were thought to be lost.  This has been the prevailing legend taught in schools (and I did so as well when I taught 3rd grade history), but this theory was initiated by very early settlers who did not know what happened and feared the worst.

After many years of research, excavations, interviews with people of the area, it is now believed that the settlers of Roanoke were never lost.  They simply assimilated into the existing native population in order to survive. And this is the premise of the book, Elinor.

I enjoyed every page of this story.  The characters are superb, so finely portrayed that I felt they were the actual people who came to Roanoac. Their actions and beliefs were congruous to what is known of that time and place. The colonists were deeply devout and prayers to God suffused their lives. The Native Americans while at times brutal, were portrayed with respect. Their feelings of betrayal and grudging admiration for the Europeans was explained with sympathy.  It is evident that Shannon McNear approached the difficult task of writing this with great care.

I loved this book, and while I was a little nervous to read it because I was afraid it would be too sad, I couldn’t put it down until I knew what happened to Elinor. Despite the inevitable tragic events, I was satisfied with the happy ending.

McNear strives for historical accuracy so some of the vocabulary and historical spellings will be unfamiliar, but there is a glossary at the end of the book that was helpful.

Elinor is a well-researched book and the fictionalized account of what may have happened to the colony was so intriguing, that I want to read even more about that them. I highly recommend this book and this author.

#Elinor  #NetGalley
Never finished it. Too boring. Too many dialogs with no real purpose and a difficulty in defining the characters and the storyline. Didn't let much time for the reader to appropriately introduce the characters, get to know them, and understand the plot.
This is such a intriguing story based on the lost colony of Roanoke and written with a great cast of characters.  The story keeps your attention from beginning to end. I found this to be a good book and one I would recommend  to others.

Some Historic Content (because of course I had to research the topic 😉)

Facts:
✔️The origins of one of the America’s oldest unsolved mysteries can be traced to August 1587, when a group of about 115 English settlers arrived on Roanoke Island, off the coast of what is now North Carolina.

✔️ John White, governor of the new colony, sailed back to England, late in the year 1587, in order to gather a fresh load of supplies. He was detained in England for a time…

✔️ In August 1590, White finally returned to Roanoke, where he had left his wife and daughter, his infant granddaughter (Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the Americas) and the other settlers three long years before. He found no trace of the colony or its inhabitants, and few clues to what might have happened, apart from a single word—<b>“Croatoan”</b>—carved into a wooden post.

No one knows what happened to the colony but of course there are theories, including:

✔️ “Croatoan” was the name of an island south of Roanoke that was home to a Native American tribe of the same name. Perhaps, then, the colonists were killed or abducted by Native Americans.

✔️ Perhaps after White’s Journey for supplies took so long they tried to sail back to England on their own and got lost at sea.

✔️Perhaps the colonists of Roanoke met a bloody end at the hands of Spaniards who had marched up from Florida.

✔️Perhaps after running out of supplies and believing White was not returning they moved further inland and were absorbed into a friendly tribe.

No one knows what happened to the colonists of Roanoke — Archeologists are still investigating in 2022
Elinor sails to Roanoke, Virginia from England with her father and husband. Their dream is to carve out a new life from the untouched wilderness. They encounter hardships and heartbreak and face trials that they never imagined. I thought that the author did a wonderful job of providing an explanation of what might have happened to the lost colony. History buffs will enjoy.
I was looking forward to reading about this time in history. And being from North Carolina, the story was even more appealing. While the language was historically accurate, it got a little tedious reading some of the verbage. I was disappointed that there was not as much development of the character, Elinor. It seemed to focus too much on other historical events. I admire the author for the amount of research she conducted. However, the story seemed to drag and it did not hold my attention. There are many positive reviews, though, so I encourage you to read the book if you enjoy historical fiction with a Christian focus.

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Fiction for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
This is an exceptional well-written book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Elinor is based off of true historical events which makes it a wonderful page-turner as well. Sometimes I found myself unable to put this book down. If you like inspirational and true historical stories than this book is for you. I like that this book also has an informative guide in the back to help readers to better understand some of the languages represented throughout the book. I look forward to reading more books by Shannon McNear in the near future!

*Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for giving me an e-copy in exchange for my honest opinions/reviews of this book!
I find the subject of the lost colony of Roanoke fascinating, so I was eager to pick up Elinor by Shannon McNear.  I had read her book, The Blue Cloak, and knew that portraying history realistically was something I could count on from this author.  Elinor was no exception.  The story and dialogue felt very authentic.  I appreciated getting perspectives from several different characters, but at times it was difficult to follow the transition from POV to POV. This difficulty, coupled with the slow moving pace led to my rating of 3 stars.   Overall an enjoyable story, and those who don’t mind a slower moving plot will likely be enchanted by Elinor’s story.

Thanks go to @NetGalley and @BarbourPublishing for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
This is a true Historical read part of the Daughters of the Lost Colony books.   This book takes place in the 1500's era, when Elinor makes the journey to the new world.  When she and her family find themselves not in the glorious land they had envisioned, little did they know they are in trouble and forced to survive on their own, they are running out of hope and time.  As they struggle to find food, shelter and the land they were promised, can they make it?  Who will survive this terrible time?  Will Elinor keep the faith that God will provide?

If you like a suspense historical read, this will be a book you will enjoy.  It is of history and great details of just how people had to survive during this era.  It is the history of the lost colony of Roanoke and will give you insight of the new settlers coming from England had to endure.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, "Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.
I have heard of Roanoke, the lost people, Elinor and Virginia Dare, and the mystery surrounding it.  I have watched tv documentaries on it, and people's many theories of what happened.  But never has anyone brought that location, those people, and brought them to life, make them feel real, based on just probability.  Until now.

This is the story of Elinor Dare, her husband Aninias, daughter Virginia, and the many other settlers who came to Roanoke, Virginia colony in 1587.  When her father has to sail back to England, Elinor realizes just how long those trips take, how much it longs on the heart.  But the settlers are determined to make it work, to become friends with the Natives and survive.  But not knowing how things grow in this new world, the disturbance from other Natives, the settlers are forced to move and live with the Croatians.  There they learn the language, what crops to plant, how they grow, and make friends with them.  But not always for the good.  Elinor has a Godly heart, as do most of the settlers, not pushing their beliefs on the Natives, but answering when asked.  When the settlement is raided and Elinor and others are taken, she longs to believe her God will keep her safe.  Sees Far is one of her captors, who saw her in his dream, and is determined to keep her safe at all costs.  When tragedy strikes Elinor, and she is separated from the other settlers, it is her faith and trust in Sees Far, and the determination to see her family again.  But her faith and trust is more powerful than even she can believe.

Though this story is based on true events, noone knows exactly what happened to Elinor Dare and the settlers of Roanoke, though there are many speculations.  But this is a very plausible outcome, one I do believe to be true, that settlers really did merge and live with the Natives at that time.  But the story of Elinor and Sees Far is anticipated, and one that brings hope to the reader that she, and the others, really did live a good life.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this advanced copy, all opinions are my own.  Also, thank you to Shannon McNear for bringing this mystery to life.
Based on the lost colony of Roanoke, Elinor is a thoroughly researched and enjoyable historical adventure. Survival in a hostile land is central to the story, but so is reliance on God. Beautiful descriptions and interesting characters build to the mystery of what became of the colony, and this story offers an interesting theory! I very much enjoyed this book!
I've always been fascinated by the Lost Colony, and I anyways enjoy speculative fiction stemming from real events.  Having also been a fan of McNear's contributions to other historical series I've read,  I was very excited to see her take on the Lost Colony.  Shannon McNear always does an excellent job with historical fiction.  It is clear that she puts significant effort into her research and into painting a vivid and accurate portrait for her readers.
In Elinor, readers get a good sense of the Native American culture and ways of life during the colonization of the new world, and a glimpse into their relationships with the colonists.
I felt like this book was very different from my previous reads by Shannon McNear. It isn't romantic fiction, and there are multiple POVs for the story including Elinor Dare, Elinor's husband, her father John White, and some of the Native Americans. I think the broad narrative rather than a focus on just one or two central characters made this read a bit of a struggle for me. It made the plot movement seem a little slow, and made it harder for me to feel attached to a specific character.
I enjoyed the read, just not as much as McNear's other romantic historical fiction I've read.
Not only was this a captivating story about the lost colony of Roanoke, but the author adds even more depth to the history with her notes at the end of the novel.  What amazing research went into the writing – taking a peak into a period most of us know little about.  I found her Glossary of Terms gave me even greater insight into this history.

The author tells the history through the eyes of Elinor Dare, her husband Ananias Dare, and her father, the governor of the colony, John White.  What traumatic events they had to endure, danger on the waters travelling to the island, dangers from the native peoples on the island, plus health and agricultural issues, just to name a few.

I found this novel to be one of those hard to put down!

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for allowing me to read this novel.  I was under no obligation to write a positive review and all opinions are my own.
Elinor is a fascinating novel by Shannon McNear that explores what may have happened to the Lost City of Roanoke.  Elinor White Dare sailed from England in 1587 with her father and husband.to make a new start in the New World where their religious beliefs would not get them imprisoned.  Crooked sea captains and murdered colonists make for difficult living and things get progressively worse as Elinor finds herself completely alone.  Shannon McNear writes a completely believable account of early America.  Fans of historical fiction and Christian literature will love this book.  I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a compelling read.  Thanks to Net Galley for the chance to read an ARC.
"My knowledge of American history is lacking because I don't remember learning anything about the Lost Colony of Roanoke. So it was interesting to find out about the colonists who disappeared with no ability to trace what happened to them through Elinor, though I realize that everything in this story about them after John White left the island is merely speculation.

Elinor was an interesting character. I loved the way she chose to be brave in the face of what could have been terrifying circumstances and how she chose faith over fear, even when she didn't understand God's ways or plan. Her habit of reciting Scripture, aloud or just in her heart, when she needed reassurance was lovely and had a lasting impact on her and those around her.

I greatly appreciate the extensive research that Shannon McNear puts into her fiction. It is clear she wants to be as accurate as she can with the available historical details.

I did find that parts of the story felt more like reading a historical text than reading a novel. Mainly in the portions probably taken from the diary of John White.

The author's handling of the relations between the natives and the colonists was tactful. Even the motivations behind the violence enacted by the natives were shown not to be the acts of a cruel and ignorant people. Though they were referred to as ""savages"", the author explains in her introduction that this was only because that was the common term for the natives at the time the story takes place and she did not make it appear to be derogatory.

I recommend Elinor for readers who enjoy historical Christian fiction with a somber tone.

I was given a copy of this book. I was not required to give a favorable review nor was any money received for this review. All comments and opinions are my own."
We lived in NC and one of the things I regret not doing while we lived there is going to the town of Manteo and explore. They now do a Broadway type show every summer portraying the story of "The Lost Colony" which always has a different ending. This book reminded me of that. Obviously it is based on actual historical aspects intertwined with fiction and author Shannon McNear did a great job with it. The story definitely captures you and takes you on what was and what could've been. The character of Elinor was so realistic. We see her go through trials and struggles but she clings to her faith not shying away from the hard things.

The history in this book is rich. I say this because if you aren't into historical fiction then this may seem a bit boring or slow moving. Shannon McNear definitely did her research and did so with a passion. I really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading what she will write next!

I received a copy of this book through Celebrate Lit. I was not required to post a positive review. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.