Cover Image: A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality

A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality

This was a good graphic novel to introduce asexuality to people. Some of the basic concepts and experiences are laid out. I have spoken to a few people who fall under the asexual umbrella who have said the representation in this book is not entirely helpful. That being said I did learn a lot and have continued to look into asexuality more.
This book is a great place to start the journey of understanding asexuality. The author and illustrator provided basic understanding of what it means to be asexual, the different types of it on the spectrum and cleared some of the common myths that are there regarding asexuality in a fun and easy manner with the graphic novel format of the book.

🖤🤍💜

Disclaimer: Thanking @netgalley & the publisher for providing me with an eARC copy of the book in exchange of an honest review. The thoughts expressed in the review are therefore completely my own.
Good, easy to understand explanation of asexuality. It was very inclusive and informative. As an asexual person, I find no issues with the way they represented the sexuality as a whole. It entertained me as well.
A good read for students who are beginning to explore their sexuality. As a middle grade teacher, I find this would be a good resource to aid students.
This is a simple but complete guide to Asexuality in an easy format. In a way this is perfect for those who are still trying to figure out especially teens so 3.5/5 stars for me!
REVIEW: A Quick & Easy Guide To Asexuality by Molly Muldoon & Will Hernandez

Such a great book about asexuality.

I am asexual and only realised I was a few years ago when I stumbled upon the term in the media. I always felt like I was different or "broken" but since discovering myself and my identity I've felt a lot more whole.

This is a great book full of information, I wish I knew growing up. It is filled with questions and assumptions that people may have about asexuality that I have definitely heard first hand.

I think its a great read for people to read to educate themselves about Asexuality as there isn't a lot of positive representation in the media.

Whether you know someone who is Ace, you are Ace yourself or just curious about what it means; I highly recommend this book.

5 Stars!
An easily accessible introduction to asexuality in a comic format that might appeal more to a younger audience.

Suitable for those questioning their sexuality as well as anyone wishing to discover more about asexuality in relation to dating, sex, and common misconceptions.
Look, I’ve been anticipating this graphic novel for months and was excited to get access to an e-arc but wow, I’m disappointed. While I know the point of quick and easy guides are to be short introductions, this volume lacks nuance that conversations about aspec topics require. The section about whether asexual folx belong in the LGBTQIAP+ community felt like a slap in the face, especially when ace people are consistently gatekept from the community by other queer people. The explanation about identities under the asexual umbrella frankly felt flippant.

Truly I would only recommend this as a primer for allos to get a VERY BASIC understanding of the asexual spectrum, because honestly it’s only written for them. I don’t feel that this volume represented me or my asexual identity in any way. It sucks because like I said, I had been looking so forward to this, but I had to be honest in my thoughts (frankly I’m shaking from anger). It also sucks because there’s so few intro texts about asexuality and ace rep in books (as mentioned in this one) and this one missed the mark so much for me. It’s accessible sure, but at what cost?
A beautiful, diversely illustrated, well-written graphic novel about asexuality and many of its variants (ace, aro, etc).

This is the book I wish I had in high school, the one I wanted to give out at Pride events, a book I would have highly recommended when I still served as the Dating Expert for The New York Times / About.com. Perfect for libraries or progressive community education centres.

My only complaint, and it's minor: there were formatting issues with the review copy, leaving a few pages unreadable.
A reasonable if over simplified guide; better than nothing but room for improvement. Might purchase if nothing better comes up in the next year.
When it comes to graphic novels for this year, these titles are among the top tiers.
My first introduction to these books was A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality. I got an Arc digital copy of thanks to @onipress and after reading it, I was moved to check out other titles, and I ended up with A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities.

What I liked about these books is how informative, easy to understand and interesting it is.
Like it's a book whether you are queer, still discovering yourself or an ally, you just need to read these books. Such an important read, that comes with learning, unlearning and relearning.
A wonderful primer on a topic not familiar to many, I found this guide to be well-researched and utilized evidence-based literature to inform their book. I have no qualms putting this on my shelf and recommending to queer and allies alike!
Pretty good and relatable! I liked the illustrations and the way it was a dialogue. Though I pretty much knew everything about the topic... as someone who is experienced lol.
First of all, thank you for this e-ARC!
5⭐️!

I think this is a great resource for anyone who is questioning their sexuality, OR just anyone who wants to learn more about people who are ACE. The more literature out there the better, and I think it would be a great book to have in libraries, or sex-ed courses. I feel like there is a lot of mystery around being ACE and what exactly that means, but this guide was perfect for answering many of the common questions!!

Overall and really great read and highly recommend for people curious about asexuality!

xx
-Christine
The structure here is simple: we are presented with a pair of narrators both of whom identify as asexual though their experience differs. And that's sort of the point of the whole book. We are exploring the spectrum of asexuality. Thus the book becomes more about what asexuality isn't rather than what it is. It's a solid book to have available to those with questions ho are perhaps scared to ask.
This is a good introductory lesson to those who want to learn more about Asexuality. It does get a little technical/wordy initially but that eases off and the graphics are very helpful in relation to the text. It comes across as very personable and friendly, welcoming those who want to understand, either for themselves, others or just to increase their awareness.
A quick, easy read that covers the basics and is enjoyable to learn from.
I received an ARC via NetGalley and am happily giving a review.
A simple but complete guide to Asexuality in an easy format. A solid addition to the Quick & Easy guide series. This entire series is recommended to support teens trying to learn about their gender & sexuality as well as that of other people.
This comic is a sweet, soothing balm on my frayed and embittered soul. I'm not sure what to say except that everyone should read it. For ace people, it's a moment to feel seen, to have a spark of community. For allo people, come get an idea of what it is to be ace and how to be supportive and understanding of the experience.

I felt seen and affirmed in these pages. I laughed at the foolish ace stereotypes, was delighted to discover I could claim axolotls and cake as mascots *cheers*, and was relieved to have cartoon people look deep into my eyes and tell me I'm not invisible and I'm not broken. In less than 100 pages, the comic covers grey areas of sexuality, growing up and dating as an ace person, and feeling unwelcome or not included as a part of the queer community. In other words, it covers a lot in a small space, and it's all important, relevant stuff. Seriously. Read it.
I think was a pretty solid introduction to asexuality to both allies and people who are potentially questioning theirs sexuality. I love how careful the book is about distinguishing asexuality and aromanticism and covering the wide spectrum of asexuality. It was well-structured and accessible. Also, the art was pleasant to look at without being overwhelming and distracting.
A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality written by Molly Muldoon, illustated and co-written by Will Hernandez. is the newest title in the “Quick & Easy Guide” series focusing on the spectrum of sexulaity and identity. Other publishing credits for this book include: lettering by Angie Knowles, book design by Kate Z. Stone and editing by Ari Yarwood and Amanada Meadow. These guides in comic form are published through Limerence Press, an imprint of Oni Press, that publishes quality erotica, sex education, and gender and sexuality studies comics. The imprint focuses on positive, inclusive, and approachable books that reflect a wide variety of emotional and intimate experiences. Asexuality is often called The Invisible Orientation and here this comic drawn like handbook serves to make it an more visual one.

I knew that I interested in reading and reviewing this title as I have own the other titles in the series including A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities, A Quick & Easy Guide to Sex & Disability and A Quick & Easy Guide to Consent. While the first entry mentioned is a longer read, the following titles are much shorter and function as educational, fun shorts that prove to be essential and great reference material in the way that pamphlets in the guidance office in schools wanted to be. The newest title by the creative team of writer Molly Muldoon and cartoonist Will Hernandez, both in the Ace community is another worthy addition to not only this series, or imprint but the comics as a medium.

What I appreciate perhaps the most is the casual conversation paced flow of information presented in this book that the series is known for. Readers are not just thrown a book with pages crammed with info. Instead we follow the creative team of Muldoon and Hernandez as they literally talk it out, starting with the “Common Questions Aces Get asked” segment. Then again and again they reiterate that while asexuality is a real identity and those who are ace are valid. While neither writer or illustrator are experts, their lived experiences and personal insight make this charming book just right for folks like me who love the comic medium and enjoy reading and sharing educational texts.

The artwork in A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality feels cartoony in a loved way that never feels like caricatures on the page.appropriate for folks reading and learning at this level of information. Following along with the body language of the characters and hilarious facial expressions is a treat for certain panels like the slight shojo sparkly eyes of Muldoon and Will on one page. Muldoon’s reaction to a Fabio-like man telling her, with a rose in his mouth, that she just “hasn’t met the right person” is another page to look out for.
 Having the art in black and white versus color doesn’t lessen the visuals but instead empowers the messages of the book more. This is especially felt in the elaborating of the spectrum of asexuality. As a reader, I felt it was easy to follow along when the creative team touches on the “shades of gray”.

This is further felt in my first glimpse at the split attraction model, which as noted in the beginning notes is not a deeper analysis of the model but just a quick intro which feels appropriate for folks reading and learning at this level of information. Muldoon and Hernandez literally walk a curious bystander across the chart answering questions and I had a light bulb moment with the “Not everyone is a one size fits all” experience when it comes to ace identities. Perhaps the best lesson this graphic novel gave me was making me aware of the diversity of the many identities under the ace spectrum.

As a quick and introductory primer, the creative team does a great job with laying down the foundation with definitions and going back to the wide spectrum for human sexuality but especially for ace folks. While I appreciate the chapter that cleared up the questions I had on the differences between asexuality and aromantism. I did find myself wanting more pages on ace stereotypes and more resources at the back of the book beyond a page. One of the authors mentions demisexuality but never elaborates on it. But, on the positive side: on the resources page I was happy to see a free pdf on there and a number of websites, including a few on tumblr which are accessible digitally and without a visit to a library which is a win for accessibility reasons.

Lastly, in the later pages, As invisible and dismissed as ace folks are in overall representation I would have loved a more definite claiming of the A in LGBTQIA for Aces. Or Aromatic or Agender versus reminding us of Ally which while I consider myself to be one, I don't feel I need to be included. It’s a small criticism but it is also one I’ve seen in other reviews by Ace folks that’s worth sharing and acknowledging.

I found A Quick & Easy Guide to Asexuality to be a positive exploration of sexuality that isn’t widely understood by society and functions somewhere between an self-help book, a graphic novel and a LGBTQIA resource.  Intended to be a quick read intended to introduce the basics and lead readers deeper research online and elsewhere, this text is best for curious minds, allies wanting a starting point for research and most definitely those who are visual learners and comic lovers.