Cover Image: Bet on It

Bet on It

The best thing about this book was how real it was. It didn't shy away from talking about the hard parts of being a human and openly discussed Aja and Walker's mental health struggles. I really wish more books did this. Mental health is something that we need to not be afraid to discuss. Another great part about this was the fact that we got to watch both Aja and Walker grow while dealing with their respective mental health issues.

Aja Owens, 28, preferred to have met someone a few times before she had a panic attack in front of them, but this time it couldn’t be avoided. She started to have a panic attack right in the frozen foods isle in the Piggly Wiggly grocery store. In the midst of it, a stranger came and stood beside her. He didn’t try to calm her down, or touch her, or any other thing that other folks tried to do, he just stood there. And she was grateful to him, and completely embarrassed.

Aja spent every Wednesday at the Green Belt City Bingo hall. For 3 hours she sat next to the stone pillar and played. The Bingo Hall reminded her of the church basement she spent time in as a kid. The familiar atmosphere was calming to her. Every week like clockwork, she would sit by Miss May Abbot, a white woman in her 60’s with bright red hair. Except for the past three weeks, she hadn’t been showing up. Aja was starting to get worried. When she showed back up, both her arms were in a cast, and she brought with her Walker Abbot.

He was her 29 year old grandson who lived in Charleston and wrote for the newspaper. He had wavy blonde hair and a red birthmark on his neck. He was tall with a voice as sweet as honey.

Wally loved the peach cobbler from Minnie’s diner. When he was 6, his dad Benny took him out for cobbler and then got pulled over on the way home for driving under the influence. Gram had to come get him, his mom had split town years before.

At Minnie’s, worker Lousie Smith would always spread hurtful rumors about him and his dad that followed him around. It took him years of therapy and an abundance of zoloft to get over the problems.

Aja and Walker made a bet after realizing they had a strong attraction for each other- they bet each other that they would only put out for one another if one of them hit BINGO at the games they played. This insured Aja wouldn’t get involved, and Walker could go back to Charleston as soon as May’s arms healed up.

It was supposed to be easy… But when ever is that the case?

I loved the very real conversations that were had around PTSD and mental illness. I love the kindness and patience many of the people in town showed towards the main characters when they suffered. I love all the considerations that were taken for those characters. I love that the Mental Illness was not the sole focus of the book, but it was present. I think this would be a great book for a Neuro-typical adult to read if they wanted to get an idea about the mind of a neuro- diverse adult.

This is the first book I have read by Jodie Slaughter, and I am really impressed by her writing! I liked the development of the characters, and how they tried to keep apart, only to keep being pushed back together. It was an extremely fun book to read!

Audio book review: Angel Pean narrated, and she did a wonderful job! I think her voice fit the character well, she was age appropriate for the character, and her inflection was really good in some parts! One thing I really hated, in this case, was the third person past tense solo narrator. I hated that only one narrator read the entire book. It would have been very nice to have a second narrator read the Walker chapters. The third person past tense is also not my favorite writing style!

**Audio book notes do not change my GR book rating, it is only here for reference. This entire review is also cross posted to Amazon and Audible**

I fell in love with Aja and Walker. This was the perfect, steamy romance!, fun and sexy. The fact that the author spread the word on anxiety, something many suffer with but not everyone has the support these two had. Definitely recommend picking this one up like yesterday!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book early. Rating and review are my own. This review is a little (ok a lot) late, but here are my thoughts anyway.
Bet On It was a sweet and steamy romance with a lot of great anxiety rep. One of the things I appreciated most about this book was how much it delved into both of the main characters anxieties and how that felt and impacted their relationships. As someone with anxiety myself I related very much with them on this level. In addition to that both characters were likeable and their romance was cute and very steamy. My biggest issue was I felt it was too long in some parts and needed a little more from the side characters. I was so glad to see Aja make new friends and I kinda wanted to see more of them and more of Walker’s granny.
This was a good contemporary romance I would recommend to anyone who wants a steamy romance that isn’t afraid to dip into mental health issues like anxiety.

This one was so cute! I loved the banter between the two, and the level of love that deepened despite their best efforts.

I loved the meet cute here and tghe meddling elders and cast of characters,and why not have a bingo sex pact!

This book fell a bit short for me, but I was grateful for the opportunity to read an advance copy. It felt a bit wordy at times and dragged out, but I absolutely loved the premise.

I received a reviewer copy of Bet on It by Jodie Slaughter from the publisher St. Martin's Press from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What It’s About: Aja Owens and Walker Abbott's first meeting takes place when he helps her calm down in the midst of a panic attack at the grocery store frozen foods. They both feel a connection because they both struggle with anxiety and seem to understand what things are going through. The next time they meet when Walker escorts his grandma to Bingo at the church. Walker is only in Greenbelt to help his grandma and really hates the area, while Aja feels more at peace. The two of them connect and end up forming a sex-bet associated with Bingo but continue to connect, could it be more? Can they overcome their difference feelings towards Greenbelt?

What I Loved: I really liked the concept of the Bingo game and finding yourself a place in the Bingo event in a small town, so charming! I also really loved the connection that these two formed over their shared anxiety and trauma. It was really believable and I liked the way that the author handled the anxiety and how others in their life supported them and met their needs respectively. I also found the issue of the location challenge totally believable.

What I didn’t like so much: At times I got very frustrated with the lead male. I didn't fully understand his motivations and his anger with his grandma.

Who Should Read It: People who love books set in small southern towns.

Summary: A bet over Bingo leads to lots of connection.

I absolutely adored reading this! Aja and Walker's chemistry is straight fire. Plus Walker's grandmother is the cutest little wing woman if I ever did read about one. Also, I love that bingo is involved, as I am an avid bingo player. I think Jodie Slaughter knocked this one out of the park and I can't wait to pick up a final copy!

3 stars. This book was such a mixed bag. Pros: mental health rep, mixed race couple. Cons: cookie cutter relationship, no real distinguishing....anything. I just didn't care about any of it by the end unfortunately. Sigh.

this was unfortunately a DNF at the 55% mark for me! the sex scenes were so cringey and I felt really disconnected from the characters. for some reason I just did not care about them or what they were going through at all.

I really wanted to love this story, and parts of it I totally did love. But, I found it somewhat predictable in a way that wasn't comforting but kind of tedious. I also found myself disliking the male lead character as it came toward the end.

This was surprisingly steaaaaamy. im not sure I LOVED the story, but I definitely like the mental health representation in this book. I did not feel very connected to any of the characters and the story is based in a small town but I felt like it lacked the small town charm that could have been set. Thank you to Netgalley for a ARC of this book.

This is a cute and spicy romance that has a little extra. Aja and Walker meet at a Bingo hall in fictional small town Greenbelt, SC. Aja moved there in search of a quieter life, and Walker is in town from Charleston for a few months helping his grandmother recover from a fall. Sparks fly and the two get to know each other, all the while dealing with their own anxieties and past traumas. I appreciate how the author incorporates characters who are real people with real issues, dealing with them in ways that are sometimes messy. Themes of family, trauma, healing, love, friendships, anxiety and more round out the story.
Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for sending this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.
#netgalley #stmartinspress

I like to read romance as an escape; these character's anxieties were just too much for me to enjoy this. I appreciate the representation, but it's not what I wanted.

This was a perfect mix of steamy & sweet. I loved the bingo aspect of Walker's Grandmother and Aja's friendship.

What I really loved about this book was the mental health talk, and Aja’s journey in making new friends. As someone with social anxiety, that really resonated with me. I really liked the two main characters, but unfortunately just didn’t love the romance. I didn’t feel a strong chemistry between these two.

I really enjoyed Bet On It. I listened to the audiobook & it was an entertaining listen. As someone with anxiety, I really related to and appreciated the anxiety representation in both characters. I would round up to 5 stars.

A steamy romance between a mixed race couple. A story that brings to light the subject of anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD. However, there was not much depth to the characters - I somehow wanted more. This was an okay read for me.

"Bet on It" is a charming romantic novel that will leave readers feeling warm and fuzzy. The story centers around Aja Owens, a woman who encounters the man of her dreams while having a panic attack in the frozen foods section of the Piggly Wiggly. The man, Walker Abbott, has just returned to Greenbelt, South Carolina after more than a decade away, and is counting down the days until his grandmother's health improves so he can return to his real life. Aja and Walker make a hastily made bingo-based sex pact to keep their feelings in check, but their emotions have other plans.

Jodie Slaughter's writing style is engaging and keeps readers invested in the story. The characters are well-developed, and readers will find themselves rooting for Aja and Walker to overcome the obstacles in their way. The story's pacing is steady, with just the right amount of tension and humor to keep readers engaged. The bingo-themed aspect of the novel adds a fun and unique twist to the romance genre.

Overall, "Bet on It" is a sweet and enjoyable romance novel that will leave readers feeling happy and satisfied. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light and entertaining read.