Cover Image: The Chase

The Chase

A mass jailbreak from a Nevada correctional facility sends hundreds of convicts out into the desert, many of them headed for Las Vegas. It's up to U. S. Marshall Trinity Parker to hunt down the convicts, especially Burke David Schmitz. Schmitz is a mass shooter with a mission unfinished and more murder on his mind. Prison guard Celine Osbourne wants to help, but her primary focus is on John Kradle, a family killer. Kradle sees an opportunity to prove his innocence, but to do that, he's going to have to evade capture.
The Chase by Candice Fox takes a somewhat unrealistic, but nevertheless very exciting take on a prison breakout. The action starts on page one and doesn't let up until the end. Osbourne and Kradle are the most compelling characters and the most complicated storyline. We watch Kradle go about looking for proof of his innocence that he has dwelled on for many years in prison. We also see Osborne's determination to track him down, and gradually learn why she is so obsessed with seeing that he faces justice. Parker believes Osborne's priorities are wrong, but can't deny that she has insights into these prisoners that she just can't find anywhere else.

The main thread of the pursuit of Kradle is interspersed with hunting down Schmitz, and foiling whatever plan he has cooking. Osborne and Kradle are the stars here and following their story to conclusion keeps the pages turning.

The audiobook is narrated by David de Vries and Lisa Negron. They do a great job infusing the characters with menace, purpose, and tension. They keep the pace of the story moving and infuse the right amount of suspense into the story.

Fox is a top-notch thriller writer and I am always interested in what she has in store next!

I was provided a copy of this audiobook by the publisher.
3.5⭐️‘s
When the impossible happens and 600 violent inmates escape from Pronghorn Correctional Facility, an uproar ensues and no one is safe.  Celine a death row supervisor is determined to capture John Kradle.  Incarcerated for killing his family, he’s proclaimed his innocence for ten long years, but Celine knows he’s guilty and wants nothing more than to recapture him.  Kradle has been waiting for a way to clear his name and this is his opportunity.  He’s not going to waste it.  As the story progresses we learn why Celine is so set on recapturing Kradle.  Is there even the slightest possibility she could have let her past influence her?  Interspersed with the other inmates, it’s a fast paced story, but disappointing in audio.  Told in two voices, Celine’s had no inflection and came across quite stilted, John’s was OK until he voiced another character and it had a Fred Flintstone vibe.   I just couldn’t do it, so turned to the pages.  Do yourself a favor and skip the audio on this one and read it instead.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Chase by Candice Fox
A special thanks to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for the arc of this book. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is probably the most intense book I’ve read this year so far! A bus carrying families of prison workers and inmates to a sporting event is broken down and the driver has been shot. Just has everyone starts to panic they are told that everyone will be shot and killed unless all 653 prisoners are let out.
The prison is in the middle of the Nevada desert and holds some of the most dangerous prisoners. As you get to know the key players their is one death row inmate John Kradle who wants to use his escape to prove he didn’t kill his family.

This book was intense to say the least. The audio book comes out 3/8/2022.
The initial premise intrigued me. A massive prison break happened and more than 600 of dangerous criminals were released. However, It was very hard to get into the book until 2/3 way through. The book dragged on and it was difficult to stay focused. I really liked the side plot about John Krandle though.
My first book by the talented Candice Fox was the introduction of Hades (Archer & Bennett #1) back in 2015, and then I could not wait for #2 and #3—Eden and Fall: Thriller.

Once you read her books, you know she has a unique style delving deep into the darkness of humanity. I adore her dark humor and how she balances it all to make her characters test their limits. But there is always some goodness from her character's brokenness and tragedy.

PRISON BREAK! Her latest, THE CHASE is yet another explosive wild ride. A chilling, propulsive suspense thriller that will keep you turning the pages. What an opening! Mood set for high adrenaline and action.

650 of the world's most violent human beings pour out from Pronghorn Correctional Facility, a maximum-security correctional facility, into the Nevada Desert, the most extensive manhunt in US history begins. It was a day for families and sports. The families of those imprisoned are held on a bus unless the prisoners are let loose.

John Kradle sees this as a chance to provide his innocence. He was sent to prison for the murder of his wife and child twenty-six years earlier. His story is the most intriguing.

Next, the death row supervisor, Celine Osbourne, has a fixation on John Kradle due to her traumatic past. With this many hazardous criminals set loose to do ultimate damage, she is focused on this man.

The prison break includes serial murderers, pedophiles, rapists, terrorists, and a neo-Nazi. US Marshall Trinity Parker thinks Osbourne could be a little obsessed with Kradle.

With alternating chapters, side storylines provide the background of many of the prisoners. However, as a reader, you are interested in the whodunit.

It was also interesting to see how the prisoners reacted to the outside world. Some just wanted to enjoy their short-lived freedom, others slipped out, and some had a driving purpose. Without money or transportation, their choices are limited.

Fox taps into some critical issues we experience today in our prison system: budgets, overcrowded, understaffed, and innocent prisoners behind bars and on death row.

The author's character development is highly creative, showcasing the different personalities. My favorite part of the story was seeing how this wrapped up with Kradle and Osborne. Also, the two women (Trinty and Celine) are strong-willed and tenacious. It was also fun to hear the dialogue and banter between these two. LOL.

There is more than one driving force, but the Osbourne/Kradle is the most intriguing. Highly entertaining! I was glued to the audiobook and found myself not wanting to put it down.

Candice Fox is a brilliant writer with fifteen books, including her co-authored work with James Patterson.

A special thank you to #NetGalley and #MacmillanAudio for an ARC audiobook narrated by David de Vries and Lisa Negron for a highly entertaining performance.

Review Blog Posted @ www.JudithDCollins.com
@JudithDCollins | #JDCMustReadBooks
My Rating: 4 Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pub Date: 08 March 2022
I listened to the audiobook version of this through NetGalley and enjoyed the tale. The premise of a full prison break captured my attention, and it was fun to see how it played out. The suspense felt palpable, and the characters were all well-drawn. My only criticism was the female narrator sounded robotic. If you are an audiobook listener, just listen to a sample first. All others, go for it!
The Chase by Candice Fox pulled me in from the very beginning. I loved how the author developed the characters and wove her unexpected twists into the story. The suspense was great! The setting of Nevada desert was well done. Lisa Negron and David DeVries added to my enjoyment of this audiobook. They gave great perspectives and brought the characters to life. Overall I really enjoyed this book, although there were a few details in word choices that did not fit the setting (ie. bonnet is not used for trunk in the USA). Thank you #NetGalley and #Macmillan Audio for allowing me to listen to this book early.
The Chase is the latest by Candice Fox and it starts out really action packed -  A  bus full of the families of guards/employees of a prison being held hostage.  The warden is requested to release over 600 prisoners -including death row inmates, rapists and murderers  from the prison -  but before she makes that decision -  Officers from the various blocks of the prison start releasing them fearing for their families safety.   A massive manhunt ensues for the return of the prisoners.  One of the escaped inmates is a man named John Kradle,  he is known for killing his wife, her sister and child. and he is determined to prove that he is innocent of this                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       crime.. Celine Osbourne, the death row supervisor turned fugitive hunter (It is a bit of a stretch there for this character)  is bound and determined to get John Kradle locked back up.   She makes this her personal mission/obsession.  I do think the book had an interesting storyline and a variety of characters from various backgrounds.  This book has been compared to a modern day "The Fugitive" and I can totally see that.   I think this would make an excellent movie and I'd be right there to watch it.
 There were quite a few characters to keep up with but the story all came together. - I think having a male and female narrator team helped since I listened to the audio version .  The narrators did an excellent job bringing the various characters to life.
Thank you so much to Macmillan audio and Netgalley for an advanced copy of the audiobook.   I have not read Candice Fox before although I do have her Crimson Lake series on my TBR.  I am excited to go back and read those.
I feel like I’ve been on a rollercoaster after listening to this audiobook. There’s been a jailbreak. Who escaped? All of them. This book is The Fugitive on steroids. So many characters and back stories. It was such an interesting read that I had to finish to find out who released them and who really was as bad as their crimes say they were.

Wonderful narrators. They differentiated each in such unique ways there was never a question who was speaking. And there were a lot of characters.
Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for an advanced audio book in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars

650 violent inmates are released in Nevada. The Chase follows a number of them and Death Row Supervisor Celine tracking down John Kradle. Kradle was accused of killing his ex-wife and child.

I didn't care for the story.

Narration was well done.
When more than 600 of the world’s most violent human beings pour out from Pronghorn Correctional Facility into the Nevada Desert, the biggest manhunt in US history begins. But for John Kradle, this is his one chance to prove his innocence, five years after the murder of his wife and child. Death Row Supervisor turned fugitive-hunter Celine Osbourne is single-minded in her mission to catch Kradle. She has very personal reasons for hating him – and she knows exactly where he’s heading.

The Chase by Candice Fox, started out with a bang! A deliberate shot, a hostage situation, the release of the worst criminals panic ensues! The story flows very quickly and goes into all these little side stories of some of the criminals and the women in charge of the manhunts. I did find it kinda hard to follow with all the characters and the side stories of certain criminals.

To be honest, I could not stand the female characters Trinity and Celine. They reminded me of high school girls bickering about who's more popular and who's in charge. I did enjoy John Kradle and his story line. I found myself 100% invested in him and whether he was wrongfully convicted or a cold hearted murderer. I do wish that the story line followed him and Celine's hatred for him a little better!

Overall this was a great book!  It totally gave me Con Air and The Fugitive vibes! Thank you to Macmillion Audio and Netgalley for my advanced copy for my honest opinion!
This book appealed to me because of the prison break theme and the ensuing chase. hat kept me was the story of one of the main prisoners they were after, John Kradle. The rest of the book was not nearly as interesting but it did help flesh out all the characters. Nice wrap up at the end as well.
Loved the author and the narrators did great with the dialogue, not as much with the descriptive parts. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced ARC.
Audiobook
Do you love a fast paced over-the-top action thriller? Do you like to imagine the movie version of a book while you read? If so, The Chase is for you!

The scene is set when 600 of the nation's worst criminals break out of a prison in Nevada.  We follow a few as the hunt is on. Cecilia Osborne, warden of the jail is chasing down a specific criminal with a vengeance. Her hate for him is over the top.... actually a lot of this is over the top, but in a really good fun read way. A bigger than life blockbuster style book that you will enjoy in 1 or 2 sittings!

Pick up this book to follow strong females characters and quite a few interesting male prisoners. One specific prisoner, John Kradle is out to prove his innocence. But is he? And can he prove it before he is caught again?

Love it, love the 2 (male/female) audiobook voices and recommend to anyone who loves those airport bookstore novels that sweep you into a crazy madcap world for a few hours #NetGalley #TheChase #macMillanAudio
This book hooked me right from the start but the characters and the writing kept me hooked throughout the entire book. It was such an elaborate and well-planned and thought out scheme that ultimately fell apart, thankfully, in the end. I am a sucker for a happy ending so I of course loved that this book had one, ish.

I will definitely read more books by this author and am off to see if she has a backlog of books for me to choose from!
Thanks to NetGalley and to MacMillan Audio for the review copy.

This is an excellent read/listen.  If you enjoy thrillers, mysteries or police procedurals- this is a great twist on the genres.  From the prisoners to the wardens one does not know what to expect.  The characters are multifaceted and we see all different sides of humanity.

Recommended.
The Chase was a fast paced crime suspense. I chose to listen to this book on audio. The narrators were good.
So much happens in this that I’m just going to say it was a solid believable story. I enjoyed all the characters and was happy with the ending.
A couple of times I was lost when characters switched but over all I highly recommend.
Thanks Macmillan Audio via NetGalley.
I really loved the John Kradle plot. In my opinion this entire story should've just been about John Kradle because the white supremacy plot was blah. The audio book actors were excellent. I'm definitely going to seek out other audio books with these actors.

The end of the book let me down but I think it's because I wanted more Kradle and Celine. I would highly recommend people listen to this book. Thank you NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for this audiobook.
A very fast paced book. A new twist on understanding the "villains" of a book. Many different plots and character depths happening at once. I got through this book very quickly! James Patterson or Karen Robards fans will enjoy this one.
What is the worth of a life? Pronghorn Correctional Facility’s Warden, Grace Slanter, her staff, and many of the inmates involved in this well-written tale try to answer this question in a million different ways over the course of The Chase, Candice Fox’s latest hit suspense novel.

Warden Slanter is forced to make some quick and difficult decisions the day that a bus-load of family members of her staff are held hostage, with only one demand from the hostage takers: release of ALL of the inmates, from the minimum up to the death row inmates in the facility. Little did she know that this would be the better of her days for a while.

This novel had a little bit of everything, from drama to mystery, to action sequences, to diabolical plot twists, and Even a mystic medium. Having loved Candice Fox’s Harriet Blue series, I was Not disappointed by The Chase. There were a lot of characters to keep up with, but if not mass chaos, would it have been believable? I think not.

Grab this book, and you won’t be able to put it down until it is done. You may or may not erect a mystery resolution board with ten billion intersecting red strings, but I mean, who doesn’t when trying to find out whodunnit?

Thank you to Netgalley and MacMillan Audio for the advanced copy of this audiobook!
This book didn't turn out the way I expected it to, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!
We get multiple perspectives, something I usually don't enjoy, but in this case I think it was greatly beneficial to the plot. Without the perspectives from the fugitives it would have seemed like a wild goose-chase.
The characters were well developed and their backstories made them seem realistic.
Overall an enjoyable read!