Cover Image: The Chase

The Chase

I really enjoyed this story of a death row inmate who is let out of a maximum security prison along with all the other inmates during another prisoner's prison break.

John Kradle was convicted of killing his wife and son along with his wife's sister. When he is given the opportunity to escape from prison, he decides to find out who really killed his family.

Celine Osbourne was the Death Row Supervisor who was in charge of Kradle's prison unit when he escaped. Although there are hundreds of inmates on the loose, Celine has decided that Kradle is the most dangerous and singles him out as the man she most wants back behind bars.

I thought this was an interesting story that starts with some fabulous action. The story keeps a decent pace throughout with some situations that seem more likely than others. However, the storyline gets watered down a little with scenes of other inmates that have no relevance to the main story. There is a third narrative involved that is not mentioned in the blurb - that of the inmate who initiated the prison break. This narrative is useful for explaining how the prisoners all got released, giving John chance to find the true killer and clear his name. The other side stories had less purpose, mainly just showing how other inmates got into trouble and were caught or killed.

There are quite a few female characters in this book in high positions within the law enforcement field. The warden, the supervisor on Death Row, and the US Marshal in charge of finding all the prisoners are all female, as well as some of the other guards at the prison. I was surprised by all the female representation in the field and though I generally love to see more women involved and in more senior positions, this almost felt like too much. It was so unlikely that so many people in charge of this facility and the cleanup would be female. In addition, the characters were generally not very likable. As you learn Celine's backstory and get to know her soft spots she grows on you, but initially I just couldn't stand her and Trinity Parker, the US Marshal, was pretty intolerable too.

Overall, the story made up for the minor issues that I had with it and I enjoyed it. I was curious to see who the killer would be and wanted to know how they would be found. I did find myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading, which is always a good sign. This was my firs book by Candice Fox, but I will look for more of her work in the future.

I listened to the audiobook, which had dual narration by David de Vries and Lisa Negron. I did not love this format. I struggled initially with one of the male voices not fitting the character that I had in my head. The story portrayed him one way, but the voice represented him differently and I had to keep reminding myself that the voice just didn't fit the character. Once this character was no longer in the story I was able to settle in and enjoy the narration more, but it bothered me enough that I would recommend getting a paper copy if you have that option.

3.5★
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Candice Fox, and Macmillan Audio for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Usually a fan of Candice Fox and her novels, I eagerly accepted the latest book in audio form. Fox has a great ability to pull the reader into the middle of the story with strong writing and alluring characters. After a coordinated prison break in the middle of the Nevada desert, panic ensues and a plan is activated. The story follows not only the attempt to corral these men back into custody, but also an inmate’s journey to show his innocence before he is put to death. Fox draws the story out and adds her own spin to keep the readers hooked throughout.

During the annual baseball game between inmates and guards, something goes horribly wrong and six hundred of the world’s most violent criminals are soon on the streets. It’s mass panic across the Nevada desert, as any one of these men could use their freedom to create another bloodbath. It’s mayhem and the public’s ready to face a rude awakening.

Celine Osbourne, a dedicated Death Row supervisor and fugitive-hunter, is tasked with leading the manhunt. She has her own issues buried in the past, but won’t use this as an excuse, as she tries to locate the worst of the worst in hopes of ensuring her superiors do not fire her at the first opportunity. Still, there is a sense of defeat as time passes without any concrete solutions. She’s also forced to examine how all this happened and whether one of her staff might be the key to the prison break.

One of those inmates is John Kradle, found guilty of murdering his wife and child. Kradle is now espousing that he was innocent and simply folded to make things easier at the time. He’s ready to prove his innocence and tries piecing together facts that could change his outcome. Every step of the way is fraught with risks that could see him executed sooner than expected, should he be caught.

As Osbourne and Kradle play a crazy game of chicken, it’s only time before one of the makes a mistake that could impact things greatly. The hunt is on and no one is quite sure how it will end. Fox delivers an intriguing story, full of flashback moments, to keep the reader hooked until the very end.

Having read a number of Candice Fox’s novels, I feel somewhat connected about what she usually offers and the expectations tied to that. While she is great with crime novels and the search for criminals, I found a disconnect with this piece, at least from the caliber I have come to expect. The story was decent, with some intriguing plot twists and flashback moments. However, I failed to fully connect with it on a number of levels. It might have been the narration or slow pace of the story’s development, but there was a gap that left me feeling less than enthused by the final product.

The dual protagonists in this piece, Celine Osbourne and John Kradle, worked well in their own ways. With a story that flips from character development to layered backstory, Fox uses both these techniques to create a relationship with the reader. There are some intriguing points throughout, though I am unsure how effective it was for me, as I could not get past the slow pace of the story’s development. I tried to get enthused with the Osbourne/Kradle game of cat and mouse, but sometimes felt it was for the dogs, if you pardon the pun.

I have come to expect great things when Candice Fox’ name appears on a book cover, having seen just how impactful her writing can be and what her collaborative efforts can do in a series. However, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed here. I’m not sure if it was the writing, the narration, or even that things took much longer than needed, but there was something I could not entirely enjoy. Interesting plot twists did not save the novel for me, nor did an array of characters whose lives mesh together to add depth to the story. Every author deserves a mulligan, though it may also be me who missed the mark with this piece. I’ll see what others feel and hope that I am in the minority.

Kudos, Madam Fox, for a valiant attempt. I cannot wait to see you return to the gritty police procedurals for which you have come to be known.
In classic Candice Fox fashion, we get a different perspective on crime. I loved seeing things from the perspective of a prison guard, especially as we unlocked more of her story and her particular vulnerabilities and prejudices. If the story was just her and the random anecdotes of the escaped prisoners, I think I would have been fine with it.

Kradle's story is where things got a little tedious, and we kept toeing the line between serious and satirical (Fox's other book, Gathering Dark, handles this line much more cleverly, dipping often into laugh-out-loud territory while still remaining an engaging crime story).

I also loved that the "big bad" was a white supremacist and we saw a glimpse of the organization and recruiting practices, the different demographics and ideas. Especially when they were drawing inspiration from tragedies like Columbine and the Manson Family murders. It felt very authentic.
"The Chase" audiobook by Candice Fox, begins with a prison bus carrying the families of the prison guards at "Pronghorn Correctional Facility" being held captive in exchange for the release of all 653 of the prisoners. The prisoners are death row inmates, rapist, serial killers and terrorists. This release of prisoners leads to a huge all points manhunt to recapture the violent criminals.

John Kradle is on death row for murdering his family. As the prison gates open, he sees this as his opportunity to track his family's "real killer" down and prove his innocence. However, Captain Celine Osbourne is determined to find John and put him back behind bars.

The audiobook has several different subplots going on and may be a bit confusing for listeners in the first several chapters. I listened to it in 2 parts and it held my attention both times. I noticed the narration was a bit monotone a few times. However, there are several different characters and the tones may stem from the voice changes. The story is well written and the ending came together beautifully. I did enjoy the dry humor in the book. At one point, John's character made me laugh out loud.

"The Chase" will be published March 8, 2022.

Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Audio, for allowing me to review this audiobook. I really appreciate it!

The book description does not mess around when it claims to be a modern 'The Fugitive', I found myself thinking that often while I listened to this audiobook.

The biggest manhunt began after 600 of America's most violent criminals pour out of the Pronghorn Correctional Facility into the Nevada dessert.  But one of the escapees, John Kradle, views this as a chance to show that he is innocent and takes the opportunity the prison break has given him to find the man who killed his wife and son.

Celine Osbourne, Death Row Supervisor is on the hunt - for Kradle. She knows where he is going, and she is going to be there to nab him. She has her own personal issues for wanting to bring him in!  US Marshal Trinity Parker is also on the hunt to bring in as many escapees that she can. She is not too happy that Celine Osbourne is also out there hunting. One could say these two women were on a collision course for a cat fight.

At first, I struggled a little with this book. It did take some time for me to get fully invested in it. There is a lot going on in the beginning with the escapes and the organizing of the manhunt.  But I did get there. John Kradle was my favorite character and I rooted for him, fingers crossed that he would not get caught or come to any harm.  Plus, I wanted to know who the killer was and would the shady detective work ever be called out.

After my initial struggle with this book, The Chase turned out to be a fun, gripping, fast paced and entertaining book. If you enjoy movies such as 'The Fugitive' or shows like 'Prison Break' this book may be right up your alley.

**Does narrator, Lisa Negron sound like Kathy Bates at times or is it just me?

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Read more of my reviews at www.openbookposts.com
This book took a little to really come together for me, but enjoyed it in the end. The story really flipped back and forth to keep you guessing on how it was going to finish off. Overall, I’d recommend!
From the publisher's description, we know that the Kradle storyline is the primary one. However, there are several subplots, causing me to engage in a bit of internal debate. Were these other storylines necessary? Maybe the book could have been shorter—and somewhat less confusing—but, would it seem plausible? I think including several other storylines adds to the whole. If this happened in real life, they wouldn't be looking for only one escaped prisoner. Public service announcement: If I had known how busy the action was going to be, I would have set up a chart to keep track of the characters and timeline in each subplot.

The audio edition has two narrators: Lisa Negron and David de Vries. Negron's reading was almost entirely monotonous, which made it harder to enjoy and follow the story. I don't tend to look for particular narrators' work—that is, my reading choices are based on topic and author, generally. An excellent or poor narrator will sometimes color my purchase choices or even my borrowing choices, if my choices are plentiful. David de Vries' narration was quite good, for both male and female voices.

This is my first experience with this author. I will gladly read her work again. The story was engaging. Once I was involved, I didn't want to stop reading.

Content warnings include violence, racism, homophobia, and misogyny. The book didn't strike me as gratuitously violent—it's probably in line with what most mystery and thriller readers encounter regularly.

Thank you, NetGalley, Macmillan Audio, and Forge Books, for the audio ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review. Publication is expected March 8.
I found this audiobook to be interesting enough to wonder where it was going to end up, but I definitely had some concerns from the get-go.

My Concerns
There were so many questionable actions that took place from the start, that I’m pretty sure I continued with the story only because it was an audiobook. And unfortunately, the narrators were a problem that certainly didn’t help the flimsy plot. Negron started in a rather clipped monotone voice that didn’t really improve. When the second narrator David de Vries, started I thought it would be better, and it was. Yet the two narrators didn’t feel like they complimented each other, they just added to an already hard-to-follow-story. Lastly, I didn’t connect with any of the characters. And at times their actions were over-the-top foolish.

Final Thoughts
In the end, it just wasn’t my cup o’ tea. But it’s wonderful that we have lots of good authors and lots of people who like all flavors of tea and even coffee.

You may like this story. I’d suggest you give it a try. My three rating means it is a flip of the coin. Don’t pass it up because it didn’t work for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for the ability to listen to this and post my thoughts about it.
I thought the book synopsis sounded interesting but I held my expectations low due to some recent book disappointments. I was blown away!!! I’m not normally a fan of multiple POVs and timelines in books- this one had both and they were done phenomenally well. I think this would make the perfect script for a tv series or even a movie. I listened to the audio version and the narrators were spot on. Best book I’ve read for awhile!
The Chase by Candice Fox
 David de Vries (Narrator), Lisa Negron (Narrator)

After enjoying Fox's Crimson Lake series, I wanted to try another of her books. Fox has a wonderful way of writing animals into her books and I love that about her four books that I've heard. But The Chase wasn't a good fit for me for several reasons.

When 600 of the world’s most violent criminals are released from Pronghorn Correctional Facility, due to a hostage situation, no one is safe. For personal reasons, Death Row Supervisor Celine Osbourne is determined to catch family annihilator, John Kradle, putting his crime of murdering three family members above the crimes of convicts that murdered many more people. This puts her at odds with US Marshal Trinity Parker, who is in charge of the round up of these criminals and who has a much more clear headed plan of action. Sadly, both women are presented as if they are cat fighting young teens, childishly sniping at each other until Trinity punches Celine in the gut to show her who's boss.

My favorite character was John Kradle, who is determined to prove his innocence by ferreting out who really did kill his family. His already impossible task is made even harder when one of the escaped serial killers latches onto him and won't go away. Now John has to keep others from being killed by this leech while trying to avoid capture and being killed himself. I wish the book could have focused more on Kradle and less on all the other characters that are thrown into the mix because I think that would have made a tighter and more interesting story.

The audiobook has two narrators and that decision just made the book even harder to follow. With way too many characters, we also have to deal with the characters having two different people narrating their lines. The female narrator handled things from Celine and Trinity's POV and the male narrator handled things from the viewpoint of the convicts. Once these people start interacting with each other, the characters literally have two voices. For instance, Kradle sounds like a rough voiced old guy for most of the book until the female narrator has to voice him and then he sounds like a soft voiced young guy. The audiobook would have worked much better, for me, with one narrator.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for this ARC.
A wild ride reminiscent of Baldacci with intertwining plots that definitely keeps your attention!

This was a wild ride with multiple viewpoints that held my attention from the start. I loved that there were so many women depicted in law enforcement and in strong positions.

I also liked that one inmate was particularly focused on finding the truth - no matter what.

This is a book that delivers action, twists and turns, as well as compelling stories woven together. At a few points it was a little confusing (perhaps due to the fact it was an audiobook) to remember who was who, but I enjoyed the conclusion a lot in this one!

A recommend for those who like Baldacci, fast-paced but fleshed out storylines, and good winning in the end 😉

My rating: 4*

‼️Language and some adult situations in this one. Also some violence depicted.

—-
Thanks to NetGalley for this audiobook advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
This was an epic Chase— no pun intended. It felt like criminal minds meets prison break but with more character depth. Highly entertaining.
The Chase starts with a heart in your throat scenario.  A bus containing the families of prison guards is being “held hostage” if the prison doesn’t release all 653 of its inmates.  Before the warden has the ability to make a decision, the officers start opening up the gates.  And thus, a whole slew of violent men, including a group of death row inmates, are released.
One of those men is John Kradle, erroneously convicted of the deaths of his wife and child.  He sees this as an opportunity to prove his innocence.
The story flows fast, never really pausing for a breath.  It came across like an action movie, and I could see this being translated for the screen. This will not appeal to those that like their stories to go in a straight line.    There are a multitude of characters and the plot will detour into these side stories, mostly about other escaped convicts.
It took a long time to explain why Celine had such an obsession with Kradle to the exclusion of worrying about some other, much badder guys. A part of me thinks it might have worked better to move this up in the timeline.  I, at least, spent a lot of time obsessing about why she was obsessing over him.
I liked that Fox isn’t afraid to make her female characters unlikeable.  Trinity is definitely high on the jerk spectrum.  And sparks tend to fly whenever Celine is forced to interact with her.  And John isn’t the typical action hero you would expect from an action movie (think Con Air or The Fugitive).  He’s more nuanced.  Although, it says a lot that a stray dog attaches himself to Kradle.
Overall, this is good fun entertainment.  There are several gruesome scenes, so be aware going in.  I loved the ending and how everything got tied up.  Lots of karma.
David De Vries and Lisa Negron are the two narrators.  I struggled with Negron’s accents, which bordered on cliches.
My thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan Audio for an advance copy of this audiobook.
Story starts when a sniper attacks a bus full of relatives of correctional officers. These relatives are heading to the prison for an annual event and everyone is looking forward to a good time.
The sniper threatens to kill everyone unless all the prisoners are released.   Yes ALL!

So the Pronghorn Correctional Facility in the Nevada desert is the site of a mass prison outbreak~ over 600 prisoners is on the run. As the chase begins there is the realization that the minimum security offenders will probably head to Vegas and easily picked up; the prime goal it to track down the ‘Death Row’ inmates.  One such inmate is John Kradle.
Kradle believes this is his chance to prove he did not murder his wife five years ago.

The genre of mystery/thriller caught my eye. I was curious how Kradle was going to clear his name. The promo for this story mentioned the modern day “The Fugitive” with characters only Candice Fox can write. ~ Hmmm ~ Not exactly “The Fugitive” I watched. As for the characters ~ there are far too many foul mouth, unlikeable, characters for me to find this an enjoyable read.

I am sure there are other readers who will like it and think it is great! We all have different taste and are lucky to have so many great choices

Want to thank NetGalley and Macmillan Audio ~ for this audio eGalley. This file has been made available to me before publication in an early form for an honest professional review.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for March 8, 2022
I listened to the first half in audio and read the second half.
Overall, I enjoyed the book. However, it's a bit too close to A Small Town by Thomas Perry for me to have truly loved this book. While there are some big differences, this book seemed like a remake of Perry's book.
I didn't finish this book, but I believe this would appeal to the thriller listeners out there. The narration was good and the author had great deal and descriptions.
I was given a digital copy of this title, free. All opinions are my own.

I have been wanting to read something by. Fox for a very long time and was happy to get this audiobook for review. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped and I think it was mostly due to the audiobook. Ironic, I know,  I didn't really like the female narrator, she made the Celine character a bit more whiny and woe is me than what is perhaps necessary.

As far as the overall story, I thought that it was unique and unexpected. There were moments that I was hooked in trying to figure out who was going to be captured and how. But there were also moment where I was pulled out of the story - with Trinity. Trinity was truly a character that I not only didn't like, but couldn't really get behind. She wasn't believable as a US Marshall. She was badass- just not in any of the right ways.

I am still interested in reading more from Fox- the potential and interest is definitely there.
While it take me a little bit to get into this book and adjust to the narrators, the second half of the book really picked uo and I found myself sneaking in a few minutes here and there trying to find out what happens next. I think I would really enjoy reading this book as well. I did find it challenging to keep all the characters and details straight. I loved the premise of the book - an innocent man on death row. I would recommend to anyone who likes a slower build up and then a fast paced ending.
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this. This is my first Candice Fox read and I wasn’t disappointed. In fact I hope it’s not my last!
A quick easy read with some fun twists and turns throughout. What resonates most is the strong female characters and how those were developed throughout the book
4.5. This book just kept drawing me in.  I had to know how it was going to come together. The ending felt a bit rushed, but also open for a book two.