Cover Image: A Poisonous Page

A Poisonous Page

This was a fun cozy mystery. Lexi and her two best friends, a hot detective, her gay uncles and her book club/murder solving club - The Macaroons - meant there were plenty of characters to enjoy and plenty of potential suspects. While I didn’t read book 1 in the series I can’t wait to read the next book and see what happens between Lexi and Mt Batchelor.

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Publishing for the arc.
This is the first cozy mystery I've read of Kitt Crowe's. Although I skipped book 1 in the series, it was easy to follow along and get to know the characters. I always enjoy cozy mysteries where the lead female character runs a bookshop - and this one didn't disappoint. In fact, it may be my new favorite cozy series. I look forward to reading more books in the series.
A Poisonous Page was a fun read.  It takes place in Confectjion, Oregon.  Lexi Jones is the main character who works as the manager of her parent's book store, Sweet Fiction. The supporting characters add to the story. Detective Chad Berg and Lexi have a  strained relationship.  He is always looking for reasons to give her a ticket for her dog, Cookie.  While in the book store he gets a call for a 10-54  (dead body) and leaves.  Marilyn Freeman, a realtor has passed away. from a heart attack.  She owns Sunsweet Realty. Lexi and her friends, Cat and Terri go to Ripe Raison a bar and pub owned by Terri's brother, Dash,  Everyone is talking about Marilyn's passing. She has a bad reputation of having affairs with many of the men who live in town as well as some shady real estate dealings.  Dash mentions that he had once dated her for a short time last year. Terri calls Lexi early in the morning that a body has been found in Dash's backyard. The person who is found there is Rachael Nevis who worked for Marilyn.  She also had dated Dash.  Lexi promises Terri that she will find out who killed Rachael when Dash is arrested.  Lexi calls an emergency meeting of the Macaroons Book Club (also known as Macaroons Mystery Club), They find out that Marilyn had a deal with Gary and Clint, real estate developers for ownership of Strawberry Fields land. but died before it was finalized.  Rachael closed the deal.  It is later discovered that both Marilyn and Rachael had been poisoned by Ketamine,  The reader is taken on an exciting adventure of finding out who killed them. and the exciting ending.  Throughout the story, the relationship between Chad and Lexi is developing with some funny episodes.

I enjoyed this book and found it quite entertaining.

Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane for this ARC.
“It’s never the person you most suspect. It’s also never the person you least suspect. . . . Therefore, I know the killer to be . . . the person I most medium suspect.” - Dwight Schrute, The Office

This turned out to be so accurate, when my husband asked me what I was reading, and when I told him it was a cozy mystery, who I thought the killer was. It was a wild guess, but it was someone in the middle of the pack, or someone I only “medium” suspected.

The only downside to this book is that there are a lot of characters to keep up with. There are lots of names for people we don’t actually see on the page much. It’s nice that it’s a small town, but that means pretty much everyone is a suspect, and boy does this town see a lot of drama with its citizens. With their work, with their loves lives, and with their hobbies.

Lexi is a middle-of-the-road main character, not a big personality, but I liked Detective Chad Berg, aka Mt. Bachelor. Lexi also has really great friends, and in future books I’d like to see more of her and Berg actually together.
I'm a sucker for cozy mysteries set in bookstores and bookshops and A Poisonous page is no different. I loved it. It was also a great start to a new series.
Well, this is I guess the first cozy adult mystery book I read. And well I'm not that impressed with the adult part... There were too many characters and suspects that I couldn't remember their names and the revelation and all the constant blabbering on who it is was annoying to me. Honestly, there wasn't much detective work done from the MC Lexi. No motivations for murder much either. The only thing I liked, or a who was the dog Cookie, who was so adorable! I don't know but it didn't keep me hooked and interested much, I honestly would have DNFd if it wasn't that it's an ARC... It could work for others though!
In any mystery genre, I look for  a well written book, a good plot, and characters I can relate to.  A Poisonous Page  checks all the boxes. When I opened this cozy and found it was about a town named "Confection" and the owner of a bookshop called Sweet Fiction with a dog named Cookie and a book group called the Macaroons,"I hesitated.  I went through a phase of reading only cozies for a number of years and I loved many of them but at some point it felt like they were more about cuteness than a decent plot and characters you can relate to, etc. Many writers get so formulaic that every book reads like the last book.  I think Kitt Crowe will do better by us and wish her well in future entries!   A Poisonous Page convinces me that there are still people writing great cozies and this is one of them.  Lexi Jones runs her parents' bookshop in her hometown in Oregon and she is two months out of a murder case where she was a suspect.  Thus, in this second entry of a series, readers know that Lexi and the Macaroons solved the first murder and that a police officer named Berg also a returnee from big city life, could do without her help.  He essentially harasses Lexie with petty citations for having her dog off the leash.  Lexie has close friends, Cat and Teri, a couple of Uncles and their son, some antagonists, the minister's wife and the garden club president. Crowe develops her characters and creates a rich sense of this little town, making the various players, including a murder victim and a revolving group of suspects way more interesting and relatable.  Sure, it's a cozy so there are some deft stereotypes and some silliness along the way, The satisfying part of what makes a good cozy is present all the way. But I could tell you some things about even a number of tangential characters.  They are three-dimensional.  YAY Kitt Crowe.  I also get a kick out of the fact that the Macaroon's book of the month is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,"  a horrific, violent, masterful book with one of the most complex characters ever written and that Lexi's uncle didn't read the book but faked his way through because he saw the movies.  As to the plot,  I admit all the clues were there and I didn't identify the killer, which I consider a plus.  Perhaps others will roll their eyes at my lack of insight! OH, and the dog is one of the best characters of all!  Plus there are kittens.  They are not developed as characters like Cookie, but kittens!!
A Poisonous Page is book #2 in this series by Kitt Crowe.  Though I didn’t read book #1 I didn’t find it to difficult to get up to date with the characters and didn’t feel too lost.  The story is a fun and fast cozy mystery read and kept me guessing until the end.

I will definitely be continuing on and following this series.  Congratulations to Kitt Crowe for writing such a delightful series.

Thank you to #netgalley and #crookedlanebooks for the opportunity to read this advance copy.
Once I discovered this was book #2 in a series, I had to tackle the first book, Digging Up Trouble, before I could give this one a chance. The series is the Sweet Fiction Bookshop series. As cozy mysteries go, A Poisonous Page hits the mark! I listened to the audiobook of the first book, but read this one. I found that I liked reading better than listening for this series. I found the second book to be better than the first, honestly. A Poisonous Page could be read as a stand-alone. The descriptions of all characters in the lovely Oregon town of Confection are thorough. Lexi, a bookshop manager, is a sweet young lady with loads of charm, who can tackle her smarter-than-her dog, her two best friends, the town council, her uncles, and the town detective with one hand tied behind her back. In Poisonous Page, Lexi discovers multiple clues to three deaths that occur close together in the town. With the help of the Macaroons (the book club at the bookshop), the clues are pieced together nicely, but not too nicely, just to keep the reader engaged til the end!

Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this ARC.
🙌🏻 Hands up if you L•O•V•E cozy murder mysteries that are set in little towns scattered around America?? Yup. Meee

I’m easily swayed by a book cover for a cozy murder mystery. You know you won’t be disappointed. 𝗔 𝗣𝗢𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗡𝗢𝗨𝗦 𝗣𝗔𝗚𝗘 doesn’t disappoint. I honest didn’t know it was the 2nd book in a series so I pretty much read it as a stand-alone. Yes I missed some of the back story but honestly you could read it on it’s on.

We have a 𝗪𝗛𝗢𝗗𝗨𝗡𝗡𝗜𝗧 type bookclub doing some sleuthing, unique and interesting characters and of course a murder mystery!!  It also helps that there’s an interesting 🧐 connection between our leading lady sleuther and the investigator detective.

I loved how the author find her own way of leading you through the plot with her worlds, keeping you on your toes on who did it. The only downside for me was that it has slow momentum. More that 3/4 of the book you’re bouncing back and forth on who could be the killer. Once we did find out it was a little underwhelming - there’s no grand plot reveal on what was driving the killer. Was it love? Was she just loopy? Did she have split personality? Like seriously what made the killer tick?

It’s still a good read though and the critics are right if you like authors like 𝗝𝗲𝗻𝗻 𝗠𝗰𝗞𝗶𝗻𝗹𝗮𝘆 and 𝗝𝗼𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝘂𝗸𝗲 than you’ll love this book.

Thanks to the author and netgalley for the advanced copy of this book. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It’s summer festival time in Confection, Oregon, and that means a barrage of tourists making cash registers ring at Sweet Fiction Bookshop. But what should be bookseller Lexi’s most lucrative time of year turns disturbing when a member of the chamber of commerce suddenly dies of a heart attack. Not entirely unexpected—considering her family history—but it’s a different story when another chamber member dies just one week later…also, presumably, of natural causes.

Lexi and The Murder Macaroons set out to help the local police solve the case, but their help isn't entirely wanted.
I am really getting into this series, was an enjoyable read. Like the fact you are still guessing till the end of the novel.
A Poisonous Page (Sweet Fiction Bookshop #2) by Kit Crowe is a fairly typical mystery/ romance. Full disclosure- I did not read the first book in the series, but I don’t think that prevented me from following the characters and general atmosphere of the story. Set in the fictional NW town of Confection, the characters are your usual trope of pretty, but doesn’t realize it, bookish blond; feisty, yet teeny, brunette; and tall, athletic, red head. And the requisite dashingly handsome men, just different enough to hold the interest of each woman. The town is a series of one sickly-sweet street name and shop name after another. And the main character, Lexi, is a self-appointed sleuth- in the typically bumbling, bookish way you see in any number of mystery/ romance/ hallmarky books and movies. There was nothing terribly wrong with the book- the hate flirting between Lexi and the big-city turned small-town detective is cute. But the mystery itself was not all that hard to figure out. The romance was not nearly as engaging or explored as I’d like (seriously, one couple goes from reluctant date to meeting the family with no description of even the first date). And I found it really odd how the author named everyone’s ethnicity in the exposition as if it was an attempt to prove that the town was “diverse”, it comes across desperate. None of the ethnicities were explored in any meaningful way, they were just tags for each character. A Poisonous Page was too bland for me and didn’t leave any desire to read the first in the series nor any more. It’s a light mystery/ romance that could appeal as a beach read or diversion, but nothing more. I received this eARC from @NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback.
I absolutely love cozy mysteries and this one was a great one, great read. Can't wait for more by Kitt Crowe, loving this series.
This is the second book in this fun mystery series.  Lexi butts heads yet again with homicide detective Berg as she hunts down clues and tries to clear her friend Dash who is accused of the murder his ex girlfriend.  I had a few laugh out Loud moments while reading about the antics of Lexi's dog Cookie.  This is a fun romp that kept me guessing til the end.  I can't wait til the next installment in this series.  Thank you Net galley for this advance copy.
I was given a free e-copy of this novel by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Something about this doesn’t read right to Lexi. And it gets more unfathomable when her friend Dash—who dated both women—stands accused of murder! With Cookie, her lovable border collie mix, at her side and countless volumes of inspiration on her shelves, Lexi opens the book on another perplexing case. Who could have murdered two prominent townspeople without leaving even a hint of evidence on the scene? And why is an irksome-but-intriguing detective always seeming to catch her and Cookie working the case?

Lexi’s Confection Rose-colored glasses come off when she learns of thorny discussions among the council members, involving a string of secretive real estate transactions. Enlisting her faithful fellow members of the Macaroon Book Club, Lexi sets out to bind the clues together and clear Dash’s name. But if she can’t devise a clever trap for the real killer, she may soon end up with a very unhappily ever after of her own. (Goodreads synopsis)

I have not read anything by Kitt Crowe before, but will add to the growing list of authors. I really liked this novel, but I felt like it was more high school personalities than grown adults. To be honest, I wouldn’t say that this isn’t something readers can relate to, it’s actually the opposite, because there are many grown adults who still believe that they are in high school. I haven’t read the first one, but there are enough references to know that the two main characters Lexi and Detective Chad Berg have a weird tension.

I enjoy series that add an animal to the characters’ personalities. Having the companion gives the character a more rounded view and can tell the reader much about the individuals, and the author. I think it was interesting how the tensions between Lexi and Detective Chad Berg change from mild dislike to “a boy pulling a girl’s pigtails to show he likes her” mentality. It was obvious to me from the beginning of this novel, but the development to something else was largely due to Cookie and her interactions with Berg.

I wasn’t sure about the Macaroons. They just seemed to be a group of nosy people, who use their resources in unethical ways. Sometimes, they just seemed very gossipy and engaged in the drama. Lexi’s uncles were my favorite people, though, because I have 2 friends who are these exact personalities.

Overall I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars, and cannot wait to continue the series.
Book 2 in the series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. I like the setting in the PNW (and trying to figure out which town it's based on!), and while I feel I'm maybe a bit old for some of the MCs dialogue in it, there are certainly a wide variety of characters in it, some that I can relate to a little better.

Lexi and her smarter-than-she-should-be dog, Cookie, are on the trail of another murderer. Three seemingly unrelated deaths prompt questions about the causes of death. But, when Lexi's friend Dash is accused of one of the murders, The Macaroons, Lexi's book club, and erstwhile amateur detectives, start their own investigation whilst trying to stay out of the way of Detective Chad Berg, Lexi's nemesis/love interest.

It's a light, fun, enjoyable series and although it took me longer than usual to read, it's a series that I would recommend, and I'm looking forward to the next book!
3,5 stars.

This was such a cozy mystery. While it did take me a while to actually finish this book, I did feel really relaxed when I did sit down to read this book. Our main protagonist Lexi's mind works in interesting ways and being able to try and figure this out alongside her was really rewarding in my opinion. While it is not the best I've ever read, it definitely did not disappoint. I won't be saying too much about the plot, considering I would recommend going into this knowing as little as possible.
This book was so sweet my teeth hurt! It was a sweet read (no pun intended) about a book club that solves mysteries. There were several murders seemingly unrelated until bookshop owner Lexi did some digging and uncovered enough information to tie them together, with the help of her super-smart pup Cookie, and her book club, The Macaroons. There’s a lot to like in this book. I didn’t read the first one, and I hope this author continues to improve. At one point there were so many characters I was getting them confused. I wasn’t too crazy about the confection-named streets and stores, and would encourage Crowe to tease out her characters and make them stronger, and more individual voices. No spoilers, there were sexual inferences but overall a clean read. Four sweet stars. Thank you to Netgalley, Kit Crowe, and Crooked Lane for an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Lexi and her Macaroon bookclub turn the page of another mystery when Lexi's friend's brother Dash is accused of murder.

This cute little town is a great setting for these cozy mysteries. About a chapter or so in, I recalled reading the first one and how the author's obsession walking dogs without leads annoyed me.

Fortunately this one seemed to focus less on the not under control dog, which made reading it more enjoyable.

I also felt like the writer had developed in terms of storytelling style.

Overall a cute little mystery.