Cover Image: Dracula of Transylvania

Dracula of Transylvania

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher/author for providing me with an e-copy in exchange for my honest review.

This book was exactly what I wanted it to be! I loved it. I will make sure to check out other books by this author. When I requested this I was just intrigued by the concept of it and I loved how it turned out. This story had a great plot and if you have read this and enjoyed it, This was so much. It was such a great story. I would say give this one a try. I will continue to follow this author. Way to go to this author for not letting me down.
This is absolutely not a graphic novel as advertised. The PDF file was unreadable, so I waited and purchased a hard copy for myself in hopes that it would suck me in(pun intended). However, the print is microscopic and the character development was at a snails pace, leading me to DNF this title at 40%. I never DNF books, but this was one that after trying to read it slowly through a few months I have lost interest completely.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
A bit of a disappointment in this huge retelling of the classic Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

I requested it because nothing made me happier than the idea of a graphic novel remake of Dracula.  This was not a graphic novel. While the illustrations were well done and quite beautiful, a handful of pictures does not a graphic novel make.

Unfortunately, it just got worse from there. I did not enjoy this book much at all.
I found it hard to read, the illustrations were difficult to see on my Kindle, the pages and pages of unnecessary Latin and Greek dialog followed by equally as long translations.

I barely was able to finish it, and doubt I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to @Netgalley, Diamond Book Distributors, and Ricardo Delgado for the opportunity to read this eArc in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion
An original take on Dracula. The illustrations are sufficiently creepy but also lovely. I read this on Halloween and it was a perfect addition to the day.
I am seriously disappointed. I couldn’t finish this and I can’t really recommend it because of that. Also, it’s not a graphic novel. I wasn’t going to let that affect if I enjoyed the book, but still, they shouldn’t parade a 560 page book as a graphic novel if there’s only a handful of pictures.

I guess thanks to NetGalley for the copy of this to read for my honest and unbiased opinion.
could not read. the formatting was not reader friendly and i feel that this whole thing was just cut and paste from internet searches
Well, this was certainly not what I expected because I really thought I saw this advertised as a graphic novel, which it wasn't. That's okay though, I was willing to work with it anyway. That being said, the copy that was sent was kinda confusing and not super clear or easy to read. Once I got everything figured out I enjoyed the story but found certain parts to be boring or unnecessary. That being said, the art that was included was gorgeous, I just wish it had actually been more of a graphic novel.
This book was less than I had expected. The book still provided an amazing literary experience in a way that hooked my attention.
Bram Stoker‘s „Dracula“ is one of my favorite classics, so when I saw an opportunity to read a graphic novel retelling of it, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, I landed hard. This book was not for me and just a let down in a myriad of ways. This was a DNF for me (I gave up around page 40).

The first sign of trouble showed as soon as I opened my e-galley and instead of a graphic novel I found a novel with a few illustrations. It‘s fine, I told myself, as I zoomed in and out and pushed the page this way and that, trying to read a pdf that had two vertical pages in a horizontal page (and 6 pages per screen when zoomed out). This wouldn‘t be a problem for readers that would pick up a physical copy of the book and thus, I kept going.

However, while the beginning of the story looked very promising, with short chapters from different times throughout the ages, rich with historical references and pretty language, it soon turned into a negative aspect instead of a positive. To make sure the readers knew that people in the Roman Empire spoke in a language that was not the text language (English), we got paragraphs of dialogue written in Latin and Greek (with paragraphs of translation following it), making it an unusual reading experience where I just skipped everything not written in English (like, half a page of text, sometimes). And from there it only went downhills. Every noun just had to have an adjective to it; no one ever just ‚said‘ something, they hissed, seethed, gurgled etc. Another major problem I had were the biblical references and themes which just felt uncomfortable and in-your-face (and I‘m saying that after taking the original work it was based on into consideration).

When the story finally got to where the original begins, with Jonathan Harker coming to Transylvania, I just lost any semblance of interest. The stylistic problems with the text I pointed out before continued, but here we just got some unusual changes to the story (Jonathan was now an American and friends with Quincy Morris??) and I decided, from my experience with bad movies based on „Dracula“, that I would just keep getting more angry about a book that was just not for me.

I received an advance review copy for free from NetGalley, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
A quick not before I wrote my review is that I did not finish this book.

Going into it I thought this was a graphic novel retelling of Dracula, but it is not. I didn't really have any other books to read at the moment so I thought I would give it a shot but the pdf given was very messy and hard to figure out where I was supposed to be reading. Past that the story itself isn't horrible, I found there to be tangents and unnecessary parts which made it hard to continue and eventually led to me not finishing it. While I will say the art in the novel was beautiful.
Perfect for comics fans who enjoy adventure and a mixture of horror. The book is created with a vivid style.
I thought this was going to be a graphic novel, but it wasn't. Since I didn't really sign up for that, I guess it's the reason why I couldn't really get through this? There were a lot of Bible verses and translated monologues that I ended up skipping. Got halfway through and DNF-ed, but I feel like Dracula enthusiasts will still enjoy this book.
Dracula of Transylvania is just a retelling of the classic story. This is NOT a graphic novel as categorized.
I loved this so much. I didn't like the reference and talk about God. But I love how the retelling of Dracula by Bram Stoker was told. I love the Art and the Latin in the book as well. It has made me more and more want to learn Latin as its a fascinating language I also want to learn other languages as well on top of Latin. I highly recomment this to everyone and I want to get a physical copy and a ebook copy of it as well.
My thanks to Diamond Book Distributors/Clover Press for providing a Read Now copy of ‘Dracula of Transylvania’ by Ricardo Delgado.

Unfortunately this book wasn’t for me.  I had downloaded it with the expectation that it was a graphic novel as it was listed in this category. Instead, it is an illustrated retelling of Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’.

It is also a long book presented in very tiny text with no ability to enlarge aside from zooming in. It was far from an ideal format.

So while I am sure that it will have its audience, especially given the author’s listed works, I DNFed it. Therefore, I will only post this feedback to my Goodreads account and its NetGalley feedback page.
I originally grabbed this one because I was looking for some spooky and magical graphic novels for Halloween. I found this under the ‘Read Now’ graphic novels section and was super excited since I enjoyed the original Dracula story.

This is not a graphic novel. It is just a novel. The few illustrations scattered throughout were amazing, but I feel as though this book should not have been under the graphics novel category. I wanted a quick and chilling read, but Dracula of Transylvania was not that.

This was a DNF for me.

Thanks to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for the ARC of Dracula of Transylvania.
A long graphic novel, but perfect for Halloween and spooky season and of course anyone who likes Dracula or vampires1
Dracula of Transylvania
by Ricardo Delgado
A Review

“He was dark majesty.”

An ambitious retelling of the beloved Dracula by Dram Stoker filled with strange and terrifying illustrations!

“You look upon history itself.”

Perfect for fans of the genre, especially those that love the rich lore of Dracula and want an expansive story that reads like a historical text with informative foot notes galore and filled with Latin, Romanian and Arabic.

“And you three filthy women of pleasure will leave this plane of existence with dry, barren, childless wombs.”

Likes:

The Brides. This retelling added a voice and layers of complexity to Venus, Petra and Andromeda, the ‘brides of Dracula’.

The Illustrations. Perfectly dark and violent! I can just imagine how lush they’d be in a hardback!

The Coda, in Amsterdam, at the end! The banter was extremely well done!

Dislikes:

The author used internet searches and translation engines to translate bits of dialogue to the various languages used in this book as opposed to real people from the cultures depicted.

All in all, this was a lush, beguiling tale that’s not for everyone, but is definitely a stunning retelling!

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion!
For the fans of Bram Stoker's Dracula- read this if you enjoy reading Fanfiction & have an acceptance level high enough to let someone meddle with your favourite classic.
Split between the timeliness of Ancient & Modern World
An illustrated book to keep you in gaged all through... give goosebumps here n there.

Though it's mentioned as a Graphic novel - wanted to give you an alert that it's not! just illustrated - not graphic

Recommend for spooky reads
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an eARC of this in exchange for an honest review.

This book, as you can most likely tell, is a Dracula retelling.

Unfortunately, this was a DNF for me. Right off the bat, the formatting of this text was not reader friendly. In order to read correctly, you had to keep zooming in and out and scrolling as opposed to just swiping to the next page. I was also expecting this to be a graphic novel, but it is more of a novel with some illustrations at the beginning of chapters/parts. The illustrations were a nice touch, but not really my style. All the illustrations are in black and white. There were a lot of quotes from the bible and long Greek and Latin monologues followed immediately by the translations. I feel that was a waste, either quote in the native language or use the translation, but not both.

Since I am not the target audience for this, I feel unfair rating it positively or negatively,which is why my rating will be a 3. I think people who are very interested in Dracula lore and how it would have played a part throughout history would like this. If you are someone who would like to know how Dracula would havrle affected other countries and continents, you might also enjoy this.