Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book before publication in exchange for my honest review, Trust me... receiving an ARC does not impact my rating. Ima give it to you straight!

THE PLOT

Lucas is a conman and he embraces it. He's about to execute his most complex and lucrative con yet; putting a hit on his wife and making off with her hefty trust fund. Not so fast Lucas—someone know what he did and they're not going to let him get away with it.

MY OPINION

So, after the hot mess of "Nothing Left To Lose", I swore I'd never read a male-narrated book again. Bloop. Yet here I am. AND I LOVED IT. Now THIS is the type of male character I'm here for; someone with a spine that isn't made out of wet spaghetti noodles. Lucas is neurotic and OCD like Schmidt from New Girl, with the smooth, practiced charm of Rusty from the Oceans 11 series, with the daddy issues of Steve Aoki (watch his doc and you'll understand). Kinda refreshing to see a MALE character with major daddy issues instead of your regular degular woman hittin the streets looking for the love and validation her father never provided (booooOOOOO).

The author weaves dark humour throughout his POV, making it a truly enjoyable read... Until the end :(. I was actually kikikik-ing throughout the book; I loved Lucas' raw, grumpy grandpa outlook on life. I mean, I don't condone his behaviour, but at least he had a good sense of humour.  Kudos to the author for writing a genuinely funny but dark ass book. That's no easy task, but she handled it masterfully.

It was an enjoyable ride until about the 75% mark. You're telling me that Lucas' neurotic, detail-oriented mind who had been evading the law for years, couldn't just install a few security cameras and call it a day? Mystery over. Mans was driving all over down to dispose of different items and knew how to surf the dark web but couldn't swing by Walmart and pick up a couple cameras to catch the culprit leaving his suss messages and spiking his food so he shit himself? Ok.........

And then the ending. Le sigh. I would give the book a 4/5 if we're judging it on the writing and uniqueness alone. But once the big reveal hit, I felt like I was watching a Scooby Doo episode. "And I would've got away with it, if it weren't for you meddling hoes!" - Lucas. It was waaaayyy too contrived and so disappointing for a book that was otherwise whip smart.

2.5 rounded up to 3.

PROS AND CONS:

Pros: hilarious writing, unique POV, great pacing
Cons: Big ass plot hole, scooby doo ass endning
NEVER COMING HOME is a fun read perfect for fans of domestic suspense.

The beginning gets off to a bit of a slow start. I wasn't expecting to read about Lucas' sick mother-in-law who is on her deathbed. However, this does turn out to be a nice introduction to the protagonist.

Lucas is disturbing, of course, but also entertaining. I enjoyed seeing how his plan came together and also how things began to unravel. It was fascinating to see inside his mind. As he explains to the reader what he will do, we are right there with him.

I kind of wish we had also been given Michelle's point of view or perhaps one of the detectives' or someone else in the Ward family. That would have provided a nice break from Lucas.

However, this is a carefully plotted novel with a satisfying ending, sure to please fans of domestic suspense.
Devious!

“We’re all a little evil on the inside.”

Never Coming Home is a psychological thriller about a husband who comes up with a masterful plan to steal millions from his wife. All goes without a hitch, or so he thinks.

Lucas Forester is a self-identified con artist. Brought up in humble beginnings, he struck gold when he met Michelle, a trust fund baby worth millions. Desperate for cash, Lucas puts together to make him rich and, at the same time, free himself of his wife. A month has passed since his wife’s disappearance when he receives a series of anonymous notes stating, “I know what you did.” A cat and mouse game ensues as Lucas fights to win.

Narrated solely by Lucas, I couldn’t help but like him, even though, at the same time, he is a horrible person. His love for a stray dog, Roger, his snarky observations, and his intellect had me cheering him on. Being in his head was enjoyable, and he had me eagerly flipping the pages.

I loved Lucas' personality and watching him manipulate those around him was entertaining. However, my enjoyment waned towards the end. I found the events surrounding the ending were rushed, over the top, and a little ridiculous. I like the idea of the ending, but it played out like a Lifetime movie. While I didn't love the ending, I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek final scene.

Overall, this was a fast-paced, entertaining, and wickedly fun read! I hope other readers have as much fun with Lucas as I did!

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Another twisty one from a go to author for me!  I was enraptured by the story and wanted more of Michelle during this twisty and quite diabolical thrill ride, but got what I wanted at just at the right time, just like McKinnon can do.  You might be looking over your shoulder at your spouse after this one!  Excellent domestic thriller.

Thank you to the author for my copy all thoughts are my own
Never Coming Home, was one of my most anticipated books for 2022. This is an edge of your seat, heart in your throat, kind of domestic thriller.

Being a huge fan of Hannah Mary McKinnon, I knew that I needed to get my hands on a copy of Never Coming Home, at all costs.

This is a book that delivers! Told from the villains point of view, McKinnon, literally knocked this one out of the park. I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and would highly recommend to anyone who loves a fast paced domestic thriller.

This was an easy five stars.

If you miss this, you are missing out on one hell of a ride.
This was a fun read!

Lucas Forester hires a hitman from the dark web to murder his wife so he can inherit all her fortune.  Soon after, he starts receiving anonymous photos and notes.  Someone is on to him and knows what he has done.   The story is told from Lucas’ POV, and I loved being in his head!  I legit felt all his emotions.   And the ending!  I did not see that coming at all!   I highly recommend this book to fans of domestic thrillers.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my e-ARC.,
Never coming home by Hannah Mary McKinnon  released may 2022. Even if you believe you have the failed proof plan for getting rid of your rich wife. Do you?
Another amazing delivery by Hannah Mary McKinnon!  I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. A non stop thriller that had you looking over your shoulder and holding your breath.  The twists the turns, the constant action.  I’m exhausted!

Lucas was pure insanity!  The scene with the dress, heals and jewelry for their 3rd anniversary; completely creepy and would have sent me running!  Michelle wins my vote for supporting actress hands down!

A special thank you to NetGalley and the author for my Advanced Reader Copy!
This was a brilliant, edge of your seat thriller! I was lucky enough to be gifted an advance copy in exchange for an honest review and I am so grateful to have gotten to experience this masterpiece before PUB date: May 24 2021. I couldn’t out this down! The story being told from the villains perspective was refreshing and addictive. The twist was perfection and I highly recommend this to everyone. A huge thank you to @hanmahmarymckinnon and @htpbooks for allowing me to review this one early.
Have you ever read a book where the MC was such a hate-able character and that’s why you wanted to keep reading? Because you couldn’t stand them and you had to see what happened next? That was this one for me. In such a good way.

Lucas’ character was so arrogant and pompous that it made me roll my eyes, but I needed to keep reading because I wanted to see him get his karma. I really liked the pace and flow of this one. There was never a time where I felt like it dragged on too much or I lost interest. And the twists!! Let’s just say, they were GOOD ONES. I enjoyed this one & am excited to see what else Hannah Mary McKinnon comes out with! 4 ⭐️s
Well damn. This book was a roller coaster. It was interesting/ fun to read an entire story from a devious husband’s POV. The book was a layout of the MC Lucas’ entire master plan to have his wife murdered to inherit all her money and the strange occurrences that are plaguing him after his perfect crime.
The pacing was great, kept me very entertained and the MC was a cynical bastard that made me laugh a few times. The ENDING I did not see coming at all and made me do a “fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu”
Overall, I really liked this one because it gave a different POV than the usual domestic thriller. Sorry people, I had to side with the villian this time. I give this a 4.5 rounding up to 5.
Lucas thinks he’s the smartest person in the room. So far, he’s been able to manipulate his life and the people in it while he works towards his end game.  But even Lucas can’t control all the variables., and he finds that out in the most unexpected ways. Never Coming Home will keep you guessing as Lucas’s tale unfolds. Well written and intriguing.
This time the POV is Lucas Forester, who places a hit on his wife, Michelle. His motive is money and Michelle has lots of it! Lucas was very meticulous is his plan, but not everyone is perfect. Someone knows what he did and has sent him photos. It’s a slow burn domestic mystery with some twists! Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for a gifted copy. This is my honest review.
Sprinkle My Cupcakes! 😯😳

Well, well, well! This was quite enjoyable! I absolutely loved reading this thriller from a man's point of view - so refreshing! Lucas and Michelle are blissfully married for a short period of time, until she goes missing. Naturally, she came from a very wealthy family and loved the finer more extravagant things in life. Lucas wanted and needed that. So it's no surprise she's the target of his acts to inherit that wealth. She was a means to an end that he had her targeted and killed. But something has clearly gone wrong because now someone knows, after his meticulous covering of tracks, what he did. As we all know, plans never go according to plan. So who is it that knows what he did, leaving him little clues? And what's more, what is it they want? I will say, I had most of it figured out about 3 / 4 of the way through, but I did enjoy the one twist at the end I didn't! It was still a fun, darkly witty, entertaining read, nonetheless! The ending just left me a bit unsatisfied.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for this ARC.
Release date: May 24, 2022

I give this 3.5 / 5 snowflakes! ❄️
I just finished reading "Never Coming Home" by Hannah Mary McKinnon.  I want to thank Net Galley and Harlequin Trade for providng me with  free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I am so happy I read this book.  I chose it because I like the author, but I have to say that this is my favourite book by her so far.  It was so different from anything I have ever read.  Why?  Because it is written from the point of view of the bad guy.  The reader gets an intimate look inside the main villian in the story and the way it is written, makes the reading riveting and so exciting.
The story centers around a charmer who marries a rich young women with the sole purpose of defrauding her.  He thinks he has gotten away with the perfect crime...only to find out that someone knows what he did.  Going between the present and the past, we learn why the main character became so villainous, but we also learn of his tender side, which made me very conflicted in my attitude towards the main character.
What follows is a cat-and-mouse chase where nothing is as it seems, and the reader is kept guessing.
There was a consistent pace in the action and there was alway something interesting going on.  Most of the questions I had were answered at the end except for one...What happened to the dog?  I loved the dog...I was rooting for the dog.
An absolutely wonderful surprise of a novel that I am so glad I read and would recommend as anyone's next read.  Did I mention it was funny too...Like I said, very well written. Congratulations to the author.  A must read for anyone who likes domestic thrillers.
Happy Reading!
I liked this book a lot! It was fast paced, entertaining, and kept me on the edge of my seat. I always like a little dark humor in my books and this one definitely delivered. Lucas was evil, but I did enjoy some of his internal dialogue. This was my first book by this author. Will definitely read more of her work in the future. Thank you very much for the ARC.
I always want to love this authors books but this one was just not it for me.

I’m not sure if it was the characters or plot but it fell flat and I wish I could have loved it.
Lucas Foster and his wife Michelle are living the life that a lot of money offers.
However, Lucas would like ALL of Michelle’s money and comes up with a well-researched plan to inherit her fortune.
Story is told from his POV. Lucas is an amazing actor and seems so devastated when she disappears. He is devious, cagey, a bit psycho, plus has a sense of humor.
I am a big psychological thriller fan and having protagonist like Lucas was a bit different nut definitely fun.

I am a big Psychological thriller fan; I expect twists, secrets, most of all I know I need to be suspicious of everyone!! Knowing all that, I had my suspicions but sure didn’t know or have details.
The ending is great!

Additionally I always enjoyed the Author’s Notes and/or Acknowledgements and in this case it also included a “Reader’s Guide as well as Q & A with author, Hannah Mary McKinnon.
In the Q & A, she gives us a big hint regarding her next novel. Not the title but a bit about Frankie the main character.
On my list ~ well true it is difficult to put a book title on my TBR list when I don’t have a title but I do have the name of the author: she is someone who does NOT disappoint!

Want to thank NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publication for granting my request with this eGalley. This file has been made available to me before publication in an early form for an honest professional review.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for May 24, 2022.
Probably one of the most create plots I’ve ever come across. In this book you know who the bad guy is, he’s telling you his story. You empathize with him even though he doesn’t deserve it, because we all connect with the main character. This unique perspective was a whole new reading experience. So many twists and turns and surprises that I didn’t see coming. I had to keep reading because I had to know how this was going to end. Absolutely genius storytelling. Jaw dropping and heart stopping!
Yes, yes, yes! I love an evil villain narrator and Never Coming Home delivered. This book is totally binge-readable with lots of twists and turns. Although I figured it the ending early, it didn't prevent this book from being immensely enjoyable. The dialogue is wonderful. Lucas is evil but quite witty with a dark sense of humor.