Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

I have loved HMM's novels  ever since Sister Dear, and I truly thought she shot it out of the park with You Will Remember Me, and then I read Never Coming Home... Oh. My. Gawd. What a story!! I absolutely LOVED it!

For starters, I find it so unique to read a novel from the bad guy's point of view. It offered such great insight into the mind of a killer. I also found myself rooting for him, even though I knew of all the horrible things he had done. Hannah crafts her characters in a way that makes it impossible not to feel for them, and Lucas Forrester is no exception. The journal-like style of storytelling makes the reader feel like they are along for the ride, and I guiltily enjoyed every minute of it.

This is definitely a must-read for all thriller lovers in 2022!
Brilliant! Written in the male protagonist's point of view made this such a unique read. Highly recommend this suspense written by one of my consistently favorite authors. Think you to the author for a digital copy to review for free.
This is a truly chilling read and I loved every minute of it! Michelle is missing and husband, Lucas seems devastated and vows to find her no matter what the cost. His mother-in-law is dying of cancer and we come to find out he is about to inherit all of her remaining money. But of course things are never as they seem, and my head was spinning continually as I tried to work out what was going on! The dark web, dead bodies, blood trails, shady characters...well, what's not to like? Just be prepared to stay up all night if necessary (with the lights on) to find out who the kidnapper is as you won't be disappointed!
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC!
This was a great domestic psychological  thriller.... in most novels you don't usually get to read the "bad guys' pov, and Lucas is so over the top despicable I really liked his character. The author really keeps you guessing throughout the whole book, and there was a pretty big twist at the end that I kind of did see coming, but that's ok, I still really enjoyed the nook?
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC,
Hannah Mary McKinnon is a brilliant writer and having enjoyed her previous work dug into this one with glee.  Here we have a new villain, Lucas, to hiss at,   He’s charming, handsome, well educated and overall a catch.  At first sight. He marries well above his weight into real money.  Michelle is his wife.  Michelle disappears. Lucas doesn’t. This is a fun, easy read with an extremely unexpected ending.
I’ve always enjoyed Hannah McKinnon’s fun psychological thrillers, and Never Coming Home was no exception!  This is an easy-to-read domestic thriller with a love-to-hate main character.

Lucas killed his wife, Michelle. His motive?  A motive as old as time — money.  He is the perfect, patient grieving husband as he simultaneously cares for his brother in law struggling with addiction and his mother in law struggling with cancer. Even though Lucas is obviously a despicable man, you grow to find him a bit humorous and even sympathetic. Yes, even though he got away with killing his wife …or did he?  Mysterious notes and little changes start creeping up with increased frequency making him think he hasn’t gotten away with anything at all. Meanwhile, Lucas’ secret past comes knocking…and suddenly, he’s in double trouble.

This was a quick and enjoyable read for me. I found the ending to be more than a bit far-fetched, but it was tidy and pleasing. I would’ve liked a bit more storyline after the big plot twist was revealed; it felt rushed then. Overall, I’d definitely recommend for a light and well-written read!

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
What a crazy ride! This is the first book I’ve read by this author, but won’t be my last! Well developed, flawed characters drive a dark tale of abduction, deceit, double cross and comeuppance. A quick read with many red herrings and an ending you won’t see coming!
Brilliant!  Brilliant and deliciously diabolical.  Hannah May McKinnon moves beyond domestic suspense to page turning sitting on the edge of your seat thriller.  Bravo!
I could not put this book down once I began! It was fascinating, twisty and utterly gripping. Highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a suspenseful domestic thriller.
First I have to say I am a huge Hannah Mary McKinnon fan. She writes compelling dramas. This was a bit different. It was darker, and far more thriller rather than domestic suspense. However, it was almost a FUNNY thriller because Lucas the con-man while deplorable was so deluded he was funny. As always, I enjoyed Ms. McKinnon’s book and look forward to the next one!
Wow. This one kept me.on the edge of my seat. I really thought Michelle was gone and I didn't expect her to turn the tables on Lucas like she did! This was an excellent book and I just flew through it! Absolutely loved it!
Another great psychological thriller/mystery by Hannah Mary McKinnon. May be her best book written yet!
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Harlequin Trade Publishing  and #NetGalley for my honest opinion. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Hard to put down! What an engaging read.
Okay! It was one of the most interesting thing to witness how a ruthless con man/murderer/liar’s mind works at the first hand: I always enjoy reading the story from the villain’s perspective.

And I have to tell: the author achieved a fabulous job. The sarcastic tone of Lucas and the way of telling his life story: how he survived when he was living with his gambler and drunk dad, living with the risk of being homeless, penniless, how he becomes the ruthless scumbag by reinventing himself ( also getting a new name) and covering his tracks on last decade, how he seduces his wife Michele to marry with him.

He never hated her: she has some issues like over spending money, selfishness, cockiness but that’s so normal: the woman is loaded! Let’s not forget her good qualities: she’s elegant, beautiful and wealthy( okay, it’s not good to define a person with her money but yeah the way Lucas portraits her not help us to visualize more positive attitudes about her) dreamy package to get marry and divorce in three years.

But the strict prenup, his father’s deteriorating medical condition and pandemic force him change his plans: he needs more financial resources so he may act fast and get rid of his wife.

So he makes an impeccable plan to kill his wife and get away with murder. But now he starts getting dead wife’s photos, finding traces of forced entry to his house. Somebody is watching and playing mind games with him. But who? Could it be Travis: addict young brother of Michelle who is living with him? Or could it be someone from his dark past? Could it be the hit man he has hired to kill his wife for demanding more money?

The opening of the book and Lucas’s POV was brilliant! It was so close to be one of my best thriller reads! But after the strong opening, the book’s pace got slow down. We definitely stuck inside Lucas’ mind and read his inner monologues and nothing happened for a long time to increase the tension.

The identity of the person all of this scheme was predictable. So I can give three stars to the second third of the book.

At the last third thankfully the pace fastened and things got more heated.

The revelations were predictable as I told you before but the ending chapter was FANTASTIC! I’m not giving away more but I literally giggled when I read it!

I decided to round up 3.5 stars to 4 for greatly developed villain portrait and the divine ending!
 I think some chapters in the middle would be shortened or emitted, the pacing problem could be solved!

Overall: Lucas Forrester will be one of my all time favorite villains!

Special thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing/ MIRA for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest thoughts.
Publication date: May 4, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own.

I found this book as the author Catherine McKinnon Instagrammed it...thanks!  The plot is tense and tight and you will find yourself holding your breath at times. Great characters, a compelling story and I will HIGHLY recommend this to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, strangers on mass transit and people I see reading by the Thames: I have had some of my best book conversations there!

Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it  - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 9th or 9th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for in these pandemic/endemic times.  🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️ #maddogsandenglishmen

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant/never-ending/constant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁
This book was another winner from Hannah Mary McKinnon! The protagonist is vicious yet self-aware and the plot was incredible and managed to surprise me time after time. Loved it!!!
The press is full of stories of women who were “disappeared” by their husbands. The men who kill them are the same men that pose tearfully in front of cameras, begging for the return of their beloved wives. McKinnon takes those headlines and delivers a delightfully wicked revenge against the monsters who live among us. Lucas Forester married his wife for one reason, and it wasn’t love. Michelle had money, the kind of money that mere millionaires would drool over. Lucas has always known that one day his wife would conveniently disappear and he puts his plan into action; hiring a hitman to do the dirty work. Meanwhile he cries and begs for her safe return. It looks like he might get away with it; he’s an incredible actor. But Lucas hasn’t fooled everyone, and now it’s his turn to be afraid, to be very afraid