Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

Hannah Mary McKinnon never disappoints!  Never Coming Home may be my new favourite from her; although I've said that very same thing after each of her last few books I've read!

This one is told from the villain's POV, and you will love to hate Lucas!  The book was fast paced, kept me interested from start to finish, and had some twists I didn't see coming.

There's a good reason Hannah Mary McKinnon is an auto-buy author for me!
Let me start by saying that this book is not your typical Mystery/Thriller novel. There are several things that set it apart from the run of the mill book in that genre. The first one being that all you need to do is read the published synopsis, or the first few pages of the book and you know that the main character, Lucas, put out a hit on his wife and had her killed. That is not the mystery. We also know right up front why Lucas had her killed. The mystery part comes in when someone starts sending him things in the "I know what you did last summer" kind of vein. The other thing that set this book apart for me is that Lucas is a totally unlikeable character with no redeeming qualities that I could find. This is not just my opinion, but a plot point stated by the author. Lucas is, as he would say, " a total arse" and you are not supposed to like him. I get that, and it works on some level, but unfortunately for me, his character was so over the top that I found him off putting and it actually hampered my enjoyment of what would otherwise have been a well crafted story. And the story was well crafted with a twist at the end that was really good and made the book worth the time to read it for the most part, but I just couldn't get past Lucas' personality enough to REALLY enjoy the book. I'm sure there are a lot of readers who would not be bothered by, and probably even enjoy Lucas as a character given how the book flows. As for me, I would like to thank Mira books for giving me a chance to read this book through Netgalley. My recommendation to other readers would be to give the book a try and see if the story wins out for you.

Review Pending on Amazon.,
I had hoped to like this book. I have been enjoying suspense books a lot as of late. Sadly, Never Coming Home didn't keep my attention. It was all a little too slow for me. I had to add this book to my DNF list. I do hope that others will enjoy and love this book. It just was not for me.

This is my second book by Hannah McKinnon and I really enjoyed it! This was like the handbook on how to get away with murder.

As with any thriller/domestic suspense, it’s bound to be somewhat unrealistic. But if you think of it like an action film, you’ll enjoy it.
Another great book from Hannah. She always keeps me guessing and turning the pages. So good! A great suspense novel.
I found this book to be incredibly dull. I had to DNF about half way through. I think we all know the wife isn't actually dead. Or maybe she isn't? I don't really care.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting book with a unique premise. I figured it out part way through but still remained interested to see if I was right and how it turned out. Some of it seemed improbable but it was a quick, entertaining read.
This was such an entertaining read! I loved to hate Lucas. He seemed like he was the perfect husband and perfect son-in-law, but he was really a master manipulator. I really enjoyed hearing the story from his POV. The ending was surprising and I wasn't prepared for it!
Do you enjoy books with characters you just love to hate? Me too! And that's only one of the reasons why I have such high praise for NEVER COMING HOME.

Lucas Forester is just a guy who has done what he needed to in order to meet his goals. Taking the hit out on his wife, Michelle, was never personal. Sure, she had a few annoying characteristics but don't we all? Lucas is not a man with no conscience whatsoever. In fact, he feels quite badly about some of the collateral damage he's created. He's quite confident that he's taken all necessary precautions to prevent himself from getting caught and is playing the role of grieving husband as well as any Oscar winner on record. His cockiness prevents him from being too disturbed about the fact that someone may be onto him. Until it becomes obvious that someone is definitely onto him. And that is where the fun begins!

Hannah Mary Mckinnon has written a very smart and witty suspense novel. Its 368 pages flew by. Though I'd guessed some of the plot, there were penty of twists and turns I didn't see coming. I didn't feel it detracted from my overall experience. Though I'd not read any of this author's previous books, I would certainly do so and am looking forward to seeing what she'll write next.

Many thanks to MIRA publishing for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a book I shouldn't have enjoyed. It was a mostly narrative book, and I will admit that I skipped over several paragraphs from time to time. I get bored with just reading a lot of someone's thoughts and descriptions. However the storyline kept me going, and trying to guess who was behind the mysterious happenings. I thought it was a good book.
Thank you to NetGalley for the prerelease ebook.
What a ride! Reading Never Coming Home I had NO idea who to trust or what was going to happen. I certainly had a few things figured out, but I sure had no idea how they'd play out and what would actually transpire! I LOVED reading a thriller from the villains point of view, something that is pretty rare in the genre. I love the depth that Hannah Mary McKinnon gives to her characters, weaving tales that relate to their past and experiences that play into the story as she goes. It's pretty rare these days that a thriller will leave me fulfilled, mind blown and talking about it for days after, but this one hit all the marks!
Is it odd to call a book that begins with a man's plan to kill his wife and take her money a fun read? It might be, but Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon is really a fun read. This "who done it" is all about the "who" - Lucas Forester. He is a con man, a thief, a liar, and a murderer. However, despite everything or maybe because of everything, he is fun character to follow.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2022/07/never-coming-home.html

Reviewed for NetGalley and the HTP Summer 2022 mystery and thriller blog tour.
I looooved this book.  I do not compare thriller often, but this one really does measure up to the strongest in the genre.
Never Coming Home should be on the top of everyone's summer reading list.
Loved this book. The villain is usually someone I hate but I loved the ones in this book. It was a great read!
Lucas’s wife, Michelle, is smart, beautiful, and rich. Lucas thinks he deserved” all of Michelle’s wealth, but trouble is, Michelle is alive. This book was one of the most interesting to read. We get a look inside a ruthless con man/murderer/liar’s mind first  hand: I really enjoyed reading the story from the villain’s perspective. Narrated solely by Lucas,, you cant help but like him, even though, at the same time, he is a horrible person. I guessed some of where this was heading, but still found it delicious and entertaining. This is my first book my this author,  and will be looking into more by her.

# netgalley
I received an arc copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. This was quite a book and definitely a rollercoaster ride. It took me a little time to get into the storyline but it was worth the read. The book is basically following the trail of the"bad guy" which is really unusual for me. I thought I had it figured out and was somewhat right at the end. The twists were definitely worth the read
This is a well-written suspense novel. I read it quickly due to wanting to the know how it ended. Well written. Great story telling.
Time to dive into another thriller novel! Never Coming Home, written by Hannah Mary McKinnon, immediately caught my attention. I love the cover, especially the colors. The description further pulled me in.

Lucas Forester is what some may call a black widower – though they don't know that yet. He married his wife, Michelle, intending to get access to her fortune. Now he's biding his time for it to all be his.

For a moment there, he thought his plan had succeeded. Then a note changed the name of the game, turning him into the target. An ironic twist, given what he'd just done.

Man, I do love it when thriller novels start in media res. There's something so dramatic about an introduction like that, don't you think? Never Coming Home starts with Lucas having spent quite a lot of time planning his wife's death, forcing readers to get up to speed quickly, or else they risk missing what happens next.

In truth, this novel starts a little further along than that, but I don't want to spoil it all for you. You'll have to check out that introduction (and the whole story) yourself. I enjoyed it, even while I was immediately rooting for Lucas to fail (who wouldn't?).

I was a little surprised to find myself almost like Lucas at times. Almost. He's still a jerk, but he's got a sense of humor; I'll give him that. Hannah Mary McKinnon did a good job portraying two sides of his character here.

Unfortunately, those moments didn't make up for everything Lucas did and planned. It made it easier to be a neutral party to the tension he was dealing with, though I'm not sure if that was the intention.
4 stars.

This is the first book i have read from this author, and it was a ride for sure. You are kind of thrown right into the middle of the situation. I liked that you knew that the bad guy was the bad guy but the author did a good job of making him likable enough that I didn't want to just chuck the book because the whole thing was from his pov.
He is a caring human who just happens to want his wife dead so he takes a hit out on her so he can have her money. I liked the fact that this was kind of a reversal from the typical stories like this where the women kill the men for their money.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading another book by this author.

Thanks to Mira and Netgalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon is a psychological thriller about a husband, Lucas, who sets up a hitman to murder his wife, Michelle. I know this sounds like it would be a spoiler, but that is only just the beginning. When Lucas finally thinks that he has gotten away with the murder, anonymous notes start to arrive at the house. Does someone know what he did? Is this the hitman asking for more money? Lucas finds his web of lies unraveling before him. Will he get away with the perfect murder?

I loved the premise of this book. It was written differently than other thrillers that I have read because you know pretty quickly who the killer his and his motives behind the murder. Some might think that it makes for a less thrilling read but it really didn’t. There were still several twists and turns throughout the story to keep you on your toes and entertained.  It’s also an interesting read because although you're not supposed to like the husband in the story, I couldn’t help but sorta like him. I kept wanting him to get caught but then not wanting him to get caught. I enjoyed that this book toyed with my emotions like that. He was an unlikeable protagonist with redeeming qualities at times.

Although I did have a good guess about how this book would end.. the story still played out differently than I anticipated and I enjoyed the ending very much. There was one character and storyline that I particularly enjoyed making a comeback in the ending, although again, I would have been content to see that character go down as well (I don’t want to give any spoilers.) At one point in the story, I wasn’t sure if that character was going to be brought up again.

Overall, I really did like this book and would recommend it to other  readers. This book gave me both My Lovely Wife and Gone Girl vibes and I really enjoyed both of those. I am very interested in reading other work by McKinnon in the future.

Thank you Harlequin Trade Publishing and  NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.